Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Evernoob posted:

Ow right, the original realm abilities.
Then I'm definitely playing Hibernia with their monopoly on Group Purge iirc.

My very first character was upon release was a Warden, and that Thornweed Field -which was invisible- was totally bonkers. I'm not sure which other signature RA's will be exclusive to one realm under RA 1.0, it has been so long ago. But Group Purge and Speed of Sound are definitely right up there.

SoS on minstrel, Perfect Recovery for healers, TWF for wardens, Anger of the Gods for skalds, and Bunker of Faith for clerics. Those are probably the biggest deals.

Old TWF was glorious. Zerg busting with a pbaoe group was amazing back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Back then my once every 10 minute (or was it longer?) TWF was pretty much the only way I could 1v1 with my pathetic Warden DPS. But it did allow me to run solo in Emain and bait stealthers.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I keep telling myself I'll play two realms. But the reality is I'll make a raid character first, then a stealther, and then not feel like changing realms at all because I like stealthers too much and by loving golly you need a raid character if you want to get gear for your loving stealther. People don't even take Minsts in 8-mans for RvR. Which, is also mind boggling like our discussion about the Skald earlier. gently caress YOU ALBION PIGS WHO WON'T TAKE MY MINST!

I can't even count the amount of small man raids I was not allowed on as a Mintrel. Especially DF. If I wanted to do prince or legion I had to form my own raid.

EE: I blame lazy, afk Minstrels, actually. People were always amazed when I twisted songs and instruments in group, all the while meleeing or being CC.

People took my Hunter on raids to DF and Tajendi 2 but I'm pretty sure it was out of pity, plus I had something of a reputation on the server as a Hunter sperg. So, yeah, pity.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

People took my Hunter on raids to DF and Tajendi 2 but I'm pretty sure it was out of pity, plus I had something of a reputation on the server as a Hunter sperg. So, yeah, pity.

And the broken bow mechanics on Uthgard with your 100% hit rate on everything.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I used to run with a RR12 Reaver on Guinevere as my RR8 Minstrel. Quite a few times we were able to roll full groups when THE BOMB was up. What's your guys favorite duos? Has anyone tried reaver/minst and experienced the glory? I remember supp SM and cave shaman was also quite exciting.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

PriNGLeS posted:

And the broken bow mechanics on Uthgard with your 100% hit rate on everything.

I do recall that the hit-rate for bows was higher on Uthgard, but for raids I would just spam styles. Alacrity + Endu Buff + style bonus was more efficient for damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of bows, one thing I remember liking from early DAoC were the different arrow types and the minor min/maxing of swapping the damage type of the arrow, even if the slash arrow had the best stats.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I used to run with a RR12 Reaver on Guinevere as my RR8 Minstrel. Quite a few times we were able to roll full groups when THE BOMB was up. What's your guys favorite duos? Has anyone tried reaver/minst and experienced the glory? I remember supp SM and cave shaman was also quite exciting.

Just out of experience and nostalgia: Bard + hero + radar. Did that a lot with a buddy of mine back in the day, ganking in Odin's and Doden's and picking off shades and rangers running to emain. It was pretty great without the radar, too. Sorc + Minst was a ton of fun too, especially in Mid with a pony pet.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
so i played briefly in like 02.

whats hte combat system like. that question pertains to both this and camelot unchained since unfortunately doesnt look like ill be alpha testing since its a min 250% pledge...

is it a game with where you have 4 hotbars with abilities you press one button for and wait for a GCD? i forgot GCDs are also pathetic excuse for lack of proper depth
my favorite mmo has always been ffxi due to the calculated, skill and ability based depth, and to a lesser extent ffxiv 1.23.

is this a similiar style? i hated wow for its instant gratification adderal hotbar spam gameplay and flashiness, unfortunately ffxiv ARR is a glorified wow clone but im enjoying it to the best of my ability as its my gf's first MMO and shes in that honeymoon phase

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Kazvall posted:

It was by no means ideal but I used to run around stealther spots with my nightshade friend on my blade[shield]master. Basically I was visible so they'd pop and he'd kill them. It was pretty hilarious.

Also my animist [first r5 on Gawaine, huzzah] and a friend's animist camping AMG in old Emain back when no one knew what the hell an animist did. Entire zergs wiping to two guys

taels
Oct 19, 2012

also that OP is rather confusing. which server are we on guildwise, or are guilds faction aligned too.

i wanted to play as the frostyelf shadowblade cause its like a dps dualwield blink tank from the description, a la ffxi Ninja. but if i roll that race/ realm will i not be able to play with other goons?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

taels posted:

also that OP is rather confusing. which server are we on guildwise, or are guilds faction aligned too.

i wanted to play as the frostyelf shadowblade cause its like a dps dualwield blink tank from the description, a la ffxi Ninja. but if i roll that race/ realm will i not be able to play with other goons?

No one is playing. Combat is old. No GCD, it's weapon speed based. Positional/reactionary combat. Stealthers have a blink but its complete poo poo, takes like 10 seconds to cast or something. It's utterly useless. Most of us talking are talking about a classic based free server coming out called uthgard.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

No one is playing. Combat is old. No GCD, it's weapon speed based. Positional/reactionary combat. Stealthers have a blink but its complete poo poo, takes like 10 seconds to cast or something. It's utterly useless. Most of us talking are talking about a classic based free server coming out called uthgard.

ok sold me on the combat description alone- makes it sound like the best game ive already heard of in years.

how active is that one main official server. i never actually bought the game, i had an old trial account but i just payed for a month sub. couldnt login though, only on the official site using my email. i think i found my actual username but now im locked out for 30min for spamming like 40 other combinations >.<

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

taels posted:

ok sold me on the combat description alone- makes it sound like the best game ive already heard of in years.

how active is that one main official server. i never actually bought the game, i had an old trial account but i just payed for a month sub. couldnt login though, only on the official site using my email. i think i found my actual username but now im locked out for 30min for spamming like 40 other combinations >.<

It's pretty active across most time zones, I'd say it's 60-70% europeans, though. People level in the battlegrounds almost exclusively and there's always people coming back/leveling alts, so if you were to level a stealther you'd have plenty of fun. Battlegrounds are just a level restricted zone with a central keep and later on there's towers. The primary active RvR battlegrounds are Thidranki (20-24), Molvik (35-39, and Cathal Valley (45-49). Molvik is probably the most active, tons of twinks so you might have a hard time there. Cathal Valley is almost exclusively templated characters. Level 50 stealth RvR is a zerg fest and unless you get a good group of stealthers you'll probably have a bad time. Visible RvR at 50 is mostly zerging keeps, though 8v8 still exists it's kind of a good ol' boys club.

Also buying plat is basically the only way to get started. But you won't have to worry about that until Cathal Valley or level 50. Stealther templates have always been the most expensive to do.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Also if you have never played DAoC in the past chances are you will find the graphics and actual character controls absolutely horrible. PVE levelling solo is also horrible because you have large downtimes between mobs (mana/health/endurance regen without the appropriate buffs are really slow).

Its not a game you want to solo in, and people play it only for the up to now still unmatched RvR experience.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I still can't change my daoc controls from the terrible bindings of the early 2000 period. Mouse 2 as jump? Check. Space bar nearest enemy? Check. Q as mouse toggle? gently caress yes.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

PriNGLeS posted:

Also buying plat is basically the only way to get started. But you won't have to worry about that until Cathal Valley or level 50. Stealther templates have always been the most expensive to do.
I have no idea if this is true, but it's a fascinating concept anyway: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

quote:

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.

Evernoob posted:

Also if you have never played DAoC in the past chances are you will find the graphics and actual character controls absolutely horrible. PVE levelling solo is also horrible because you have large downtimes between mobs (mana/health/endurance regen without the appropriate buffs are really slow).

Its not a game you want to solo in, and people play it only for the up to now still unmatched RvR experience.

I actually like the Catacombs textures and models. My fragile little laptop couldn't handle all the new graphics, so I used classic models for performance. Also because the Firbolg looks a lot better in classic.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

LoreOfSerpents posted:

I have no idea if this is true, but it's a fascinating concept anyway: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

I actually like the Catacombs textures and models. My fragile little laptop couldn't handle all the new graphics, so I used classic models for performance. Also because the Firbolg looks a lot better in classic.

That really doesn't surprise me if it's true. I've spoken to chinese farmers in other games (WoW, Anarchy Online, Rift), in different periods of time - they all seemed to be youngish guys that just took a job farming in videogames instead of working in a factory. China as a nation is corrupt as gently caress.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
help the interface is awful are there addons for this?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

There's some stuff that make the UI better but there's not really addons in the sense that you're thinking.

Bob's UI is really nice and what I use every time I come back to give daoc a shot again

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Combo posted:

There's some stuff that make the UI better but there's not really addons in the sense that you're thinking.

Bob's UI is really nice and what I use every time I come back to give daoc a shot again

Sweet, thanks

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Are none of you on the official servers? I actually found my cd key from 13 years ago and managed to recover my original account, only to find the younger me played DAoC mostly by making a level 10 or 15 of every class. I traded a guy gold on another game for a level 48 that I got to 50, but couldn't remember any info on that.

Are there more people on your free shard than on the official servers? Is it stable/high up time? I want to tinker with this game again for just a bit to last me til Camelot Unchained.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
All this minstrel chat has got me itching to resub again, im so close to rr10 on my minstrel.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Twlight posted:

All this minstrel chat has got me itching to resub again, im so close to rr10 on my minstrel.

Do it. Solo small mans with a buffed pet. DO IT!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Do it. Solo small mans with a buffed pet. DO IT!

This right here always brings me back. Nothing quite like running a fully buffed frost stallion or greater telamon for RvR. It is, of course, much loving harder than you remember. If you can manage to get a level 55-56 necyo pet in DF you can "solo" princes with a cleric bot. Abusing stealth with a pet is also hilarious. Everything about the minstrel is great. I used to run 44thrust/50inst before I got way too into stealth groups.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

This right here always brings me back. Nothing quite like running a fully buffed frost stallion or greater telamon for RvR. It is, of course, much loving harder than you remember. If you can manage to get a level 55-56 necyo pet in DF you can "solo" princes with a cleric bot. Abusing stealth with a pet is also hilarious. Everything about the minstrel is great. I used to run 44thrust/50inst before I got way too into stealth groups.

Minstrels are pretty amazing, easily the coolest class in a MMO ever. And definitely my personal favorite - by design. Never liked playing them though. Too much to do.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Minstrels are pretty amazing, easily the coolest class in a MMO ever. And definitely my personal favorite - by design. Never liked playing them though. Too much to do.

It's one of those classes where if you don't play perfectly you're going to lose. You've got a bag full of tricks but knowing when to use them is the key to success. Most of the time I'd get popped by a rr5 SB without my poo poo up and die.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

It's one of those classes where if you don't play perfectly you're going to lose. You've got a bag full of tricks but knowing when to use them is the key to success. Most of the time I'd get popped by a rr5 SB without my poo poo up and die.

Minstrel is a jack of all trades but a master of none. Since your melee is on the hybrid damage tables ( I believe ) you never hit hard enough, but then you'll never be able to spec up that high anyhow into slash/thrust since you need 50 ins. I * think * I have stealth up to climb walls but no higher, its a full group template and I'm useless 1v1.

EDIT:

If you're not a fan of bob's UI, give ghost UI a try:
http://www.postcount.net/forum/showthread.php?113064-Ghost-UI-Update-1-115e

I prefer it to bob's

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

50inst/33stealth/30weapon is probably the best spec. Your damage is all about DDs anyway.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

What is everyone playing while they wait for Uthgard?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

lemonslol posted:

Seems like I'm waiting for a lot of games to come out and not playing much but retro consoles.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Doodling around on Asheron's Call. A little League of Legends.

On Uthgard: Another news post just went up. They're bringing back the old school "Grab Bag" Q&A stuff. Maybe that'll keep Blue and Crew from having their head so far up their rear end they make nothing but bad decisions, again.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

lemonslol posted:

Marvel Heroes :(

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

SERPUS posted:

Marvel Heroes :(

You didn't take Trion up on that sick offer to return to Archeage?!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Archeage... I liked that game a lot and loved the way classes worked, but when I realized I spent most of my time playing farmer on my farmhouse + 2 large farms + all my friends farms keeping track of pumpkin timers I figured I needed a change.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

PriNGLeS posted:

SoS on minstrel, Perfect Recovery for healers, TWF for wardens, Anger of the Gods for skalds, and Bunker of Faith for clerics. Those are probably the biggest deals.

Old TWF was glorious. Zerg busting with a pbaoe group was amazing back then.

Unlimited TWF was the reason for my first ban.. stupid fraps.

Shux fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 31, 2015

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I know it's early but there should definitely be a good guild on Uthgard and deciding realm earlier would make it a bit easier

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Rannison posted:

I know it's early but there should definitely be a good guild on Uthgard and deciding realm earlier would make it a bit easier

A consolidated effort probably won't happen. I'll be playing Hib, most likely, or wherever the rest of the Roleplayers (Faranz in particular) end up rolling.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I'm pretty much down for any realm as there are multiple classes on each I've loved. I am, however, going to try to curb my desire for multitudes of alts and focus on one dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Rannison posted:

I'm pretty much down for any realm as there are multiple classes on each I've loved. I am, however, going to try to curb my desire for multitudes of alts and focus on one dude

I'm pretty much the same way, though I'm trying to avoid Mid if at all possible. Played Mid heavily the past 2 free server iterations (Uth 1.0, and Genesis). Need a change. All the Germans end up on Mid on Uth, as well.

• Locked thread