Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Skreemer posted:

I am at the plaza look for the blue bandit.

Crap, I didnt see this until too late. If your'e still there I can head over.

I am sorry, I am a terrible goon.

I owe you lunch for screwing this up

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Still here reading a book. Swing on by.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Skreemer is a philosopher and a gentleman, thank you for putting up with my crazy rear end today.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

kuffs posted:

Realtalk tho, where you folks wanna go?

FM4/Granbury sounds interesting to me too, as a change of pace. Has anyone got that mapped out? I am open on Sunday but it would be nice to get an estimate of how long I'll be out.

There's still way too much sand and salt in the margins and sometimes down the middle of some of the roads I've been on recently, considering how much rain we just had, but I assume there's less of that out in the country.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

FM4/Granbury sounds interesting to me too, as a change of pace. Has anyone got that mapped out? I am open on Sunday but it would be nice to get an estimate of how long I'll be out.

There's still way too much sand and salt in the margins and sometimes down the middle of some of the roads I've been on recently, considering how much rain we just had, but I assume there's less of that out in the country.

It's a long day for you, which is why we usually do the 697 route when you're available. It starts in Jacksboro which is about 95 miles from Mckinney, runs like 80-120 miles, and then finishes down in granbury/cleburne which are another 100 miles from Mckinney. Though the best part is the 40-50 mile stretch from Palo Pinto to Granbury, not sure what route Kuffs has in mind exactly, but it's probably close to 300 miles total, maybe 250 depending on where we meet and if we cut out some boring parts.

I'd be up for going but I need to be home by 6pm so we'd have to start early. Probably a good idea to start early anyway since it's a bit of a ride.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I don't have a map together just yet. But FM4 starts in Jacksboro and we ended it in Cleburne last time. We would probably meet in Grapevine. I'll get it sketched out more positively later.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I looked up the miles to Cleburne, Granbury etc. on the map and it's a pretty long way from McKinney, yeah. I'm not saying I'm not up for a long ride, but I'd want to be back at a decent time too, and it looks like I'd have to budget almost two hours just to get home. I wouldn't want to screw things up for anyone else. I can always just go do my own thing this weekend anyway. Maybe one of you all could send me your FM 455 route?

It's sort of funny seeing Cleburne pop up again, because I bought my bike down there, but it wasn't running at the time so I've never actually ridden to or from there. It sure felt like a long drive home, even though I only lived in Plano at the time, but then I was hauling a box trailer with an SUV and it hated the wind.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I don't mind meeting early and getting a full day of riding in either. I think Skreemer only works Saturday mornings? So iirc, he should be available early on.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I get out of work at 10AM Saturday, do not work on Sunday. If it's still a Sunday ride, well I live in Southlake and can meet anywhere in Grapevine/Southlake very easily.

If we are on a compressed time schedule and a "regular" run in the McKinney area is favored, we can certainly do that, it was simply that "granbury route" has been taken a little less often as a group. Though as it's the "first" run of the year it might be easier and or more relaxing to do something more familiar.

Up to you all. It's a ride so I'm down for whatever, give me a time and a meet point and I'll follow.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Cool, well there's actually some wind farms up north west of Denton that are pretty rad. My current plot is 220mi from my front door and back (downtown Plano). Estimator says about 5 hours. The only downside is that the return trip has a fair bit of I-35 in it depending on where you're headed. But I could also tack in FM455 all the way from Sanger to McKinney for people that wanted more towards the end of the ride. I'll post up a route here shortly.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Here's what I've got so far:

https://trips.furkot.com/board/dOyflb

We would meet at 11am at Fuzzy's in downtown Denton for lunch.
Ride out to Eagle's Canyon to see if anyone's racing.
Take the scenic route up to the wind farm and take some pictures
Ride down to Lake Ray Roberts and take in some of the sights
Take the recently-repaved FM455 all the way to McKinney

According to the schedule we should end up in McKinney around 4:30, but I'd probably put us more at 5:15~5:30 if we're gonna be generous with stops.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Here's what I've got so far:

https://trips.furkot.com/board/dOyflb

We would meet at 11am at Fuzzy's in downtown Denton for lunch.
Ride out to Eagle's Canyon to see if anyone's racing.
Take the scenic route up to the wind farm and take some pictures
Ride down to Lake Ray Roberts and take in some of the sights
Take the recently-repaved FM455 all the way to McKinney

According to the schedule we should end up in McKinney around 4:30, but I'd probably put us more at 5:15~5:30 if we're gonna be generous with stops.

That planning software is iffy from an outside perspective. I'm unable to coax it into giving me turn-by-turn directions or the total distance of the trip or anything. Anyway that plan sounds fine for me, if I need to break off early to get home in time I'm sure I can manage.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That's the sorta-obfuscated share view. If anyone wants to just PM me your email address I'll be happy to add you to the planning software proper.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Heck that looks like fun to me... Fuzzy's at 11am Sunday... I'm on it.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Count me in too. Like MNS I may / may not have to break off early but that sounds fun.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I am in, but it'd be my first group ride so I hope I won't be too stupid.

How do we handle fuel stops? My mts has a tank the size of a pregnant woman's bladder, and I am still figuring out its range.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
My first group ride ever was with kuffs, skreemer and MNS last January. I was super nervous too but I felt awesome afterward. I don't make it out very often due to busy family life but I have a blast every time I do.

This is a great group of considerate and safety-minded guys (I don't think of any of us as "goons" and sometimes it's a little weird to be reminded of that) and kuffs, who's led all the rides I've been on, does an excellent job. No one is going to get left behind, at least not with skreemer bringing up the rear, and I wouldn't worry about fuel stops. My range ain't so great either; the MPG on my old bike varies randomly from 32-40 and I rarely get more than 125 miles before the light comes on, but it's never been an issue.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Thank you, Alceste.

Our group rides with a range of different bikes and all of us are mature enough to keep the really wild poo poo for the track. No posturing. Please ride at whatever pace you feel comfortable at. Getting hurt is not fun and we are definitely here to have fun. Keep the rider behind you in view of your mirrors so we don't leave anyone.

We follow the standard MSF hand signals, so if you are getting low on fuel, just point at your tank. But the ride is only 160mi. We'll fill up before we leave Denton and I imagine we'll top off when we loop back around through Sanger. Should be good for the most peanut-sized tanks.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Awesome.

Now i'm waiting for the weather to be wrong. When the heck was it supposed to RAIN today? I'm expecting rain out of nowhere now. Please prove me wrong

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, me too, this is bullshit. I had time set aside today to go get re-acclimated to the bike and blow off the cobwebs before Sunday. I did get my oil change and chain maintenance done, though, and the air filter cleaned and re-oiled.

I also have both of my kids home today for the end of Spring Break and now I can't send them outside. I get to listen to them fight all day instead.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

60 percent chance of rain today out of NOWHERE.

WTF national weather service?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah I don't know what the gently caress. Weather looks good in Denton for tomorrow tho.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

It's the fuzzy's on Industrial right?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yep, sorry about that.

Fuzzy's taco shop
115 Industrial St
Denton, TX 76201

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Looking good, supposedly some patchy fog but nothing bad. Current weather from NOAA:

Today
A chance of drizzle before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. North northeast wind around 5 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. East northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Weather.com slightly disagrees. They say no chance of rain and the high of 67.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That all looks fine to me. I'll be there at 11.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Running about 15 min late now but on my way.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Great run guys. Thanks for coming :).

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

Great run guys. Thanks for coming :).

Thanks for leading, had a good time as always. Post that picture when you get it if you can.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Made it home... Nice run, see you all next time. We'll need to see if we can get a ride out to the Talimena Scenic drive at some point.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

That WAS fun.

Thanks!

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, thanks everyone, had a great time though a little creaky and achey now. Definitely want to do that Talimena ride sometime in the near future before it gets miserably hot.

Here are a few of the shots I took, which admittedly aren't anything great. I'd also like to see the group selfie as soon as Nitrogen can post it.

e: my bike looks so very short next to the R1200GS twins
e2: nitro didn't take that picture, sorry, that was kuffs' work friend

Alceste fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2015

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
As requested:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

So apparently this is where all the mudders we saw were going:

https://www.facebook.com/Redneckswithpaychecksoffroad

http://www.redneckswithpaychecks.com/

WE MISSED EXTREME MIDGET WRESTLING!!!$@!$#@%

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Honestly, that site and the event seem to have pretty high production value. I'm impressed.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I don't usually like hanging out with people who self-identify as "rednecks" but that looks like it would have been pretty fun.

And I'll see about keeping the 29th available.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
It's still a tad early but the weather forecast for our area looks really nice Sunday. The forecast for Broken Bow has a 40% chance of showers with a high of 68. I'm not sure where else to look up the forecast exactly.

Are you still thinking of going this weekend? I am keeping Sunday free for whatever.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I may have been drafted for crunch time at work. I'll know more as we get closer to the weekend.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If anyone else has a route or wants to go out (even if locally) I'm up for it...

Though I will say it is MotoGP opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I am up for something on Sunday. Had a shittastic week and could use a nice ride, even if its just a small one.

• Locked thread