Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

well this one is better than the others, but is still completely unplayable poo poo even in limited

A hexproof 3/3 flier for 6 that is also a 2/2 for 3 is quite playable in limited, albeit unexciting.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Spiders should be primarily Black and secondary Green.
Birds should be primarily White and secondary Green.
Insects should be primarily Green and secondary Black with a decent ratio of fliers to non-fliers in both colors.

Blue's main creatures should be Fish/sea-life with Islandwalk as their main evasion, Illusions, Merfolk, and Sphinxes with Birds only showing up as multicolor (UW or UG) or special case.

:goonsay:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Madmarker posted:

A hexproof 3/3 flier for 6 that is also a 2/2 for 3 is quite playable in limited, albeit unexciting.

normally I would agree, but this set has TWO cycles of uncommon 4/4 flyers for 6 with better upsides, plus it seems like every other bomb rare is a big fat flyer

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

Spiders should be primarily Black and secondary Green.
Birds should be primarily White and secondary Green.
Insects should be primarily Green and secondary Black with a decent ratio of fliers to non-fliers in both colors.

Blue's main creatures should be Fish/sea-life with Islandwalk as their main evasion, Illusions, Merfolk, and Sphinxes with Birds only showing up as multicolor (UW or UG) or special case.

:goonsay:

Landwalk is a dumb ability that should go the way of Landhome. :colbert:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

normally I would agree, but this set has TWO cycles of uncommon 4/4 flyers for 6 with better upsides, plus it seems like every other bomb rare is a big fat flyer

You are vastly underestimating the fact that it can just act as curve filler as a gray ogre, and in the late game, it to can become a 4/4 flier. It acts to both smooth your draws and be a curve topper simultaneously. I'm not saying this is first pick material, but I could see myself taking it 4-6 pick and not being terribly depressed about it.

Entropic posted:

Landwalk is a dumb ability that should go the way of Landhome. :colbert:

I just assumed he was trolling, because those were bad ideas, except for the spiders, those could easily also be black.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Madmarker posted:

In other sets where they warped the color pie, it ushered in some of the steepest decline in sales that magic has ever seen.

Such as? Bounteous Kirin and Harmonize weren't the reason Kamigawa and Time Spiral didn't sell well, and New Phyrexia was around the start of the modern era of sales growing exponentially every year.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rinkles posted:

Why they decided to slow roll this cycle, who knows

That is a sweet rear end finisher for Limited

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wizards is pretty good these days at sculpting limited environments, so I'm going to guess that all these uncommon dragons are going to be not only playable, but mid-range picks for many drafts.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

That is a sweet rear end-finisher for Limited

please dont finish my rear end in limited.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Such as? Bounteous Kirin and Harmonize weren't the reason Kamigawa and Time Spiral didn't sell well, and New Phyrexia was around the start of the modern era of sales growing exponentially every year.

The reason Time Spiral sold poorly was the confusion it caused in casual players and unskilled players as to what the cards do and how to evaluate them. The color warping was one of the symptoms of that and helped to exacerbate the problem, despite the fact they were loved by the more entrenched player base (myself included).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Madmarker posted:

The reason Time Spiral sold poorly was the confusion it caused in casual players and unskilled players as to what the cards do and how to evaluate them. The color warping was one of the symptoms of that and helped to exacerbate the problem, despite the fact they were loved by the more entrenched player base (myself included).

I'm pretty sure Harmonize didn't confuse casual players. Hell, it's hard to think of a card that is more straightforward than Harmonize.

Nobody was fleeing the game in droves because the word "vigilance" on a sphinx broke their tiny little casual brains.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's really hard to say what's good in limited until we say way more of the commons and actually know what else we're working with. I'd be surprised if the Megamorphin' dragon cycle is either good or stone unplayable though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Madmarker posted:

You are vastly underestimating the fact that it can just act as curve filler as a gray ogre, and in the late game, it to can become a 4/4 flier. It acts to both smooth your draws and be a curve topper simultaneously. I'm not saying this is first pick material, but I could see myself taking it 4-6 pick and not being terribly depressed about it.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree for now and see how the set plays out. If I'm casting something facedown I'd much rather it flip into something beefier, since by the time I have 7 (!) mana available to turn it over I could flipping Aerie Bowmasters, Stormcrag Elemental, Salt Road Ambushers, or any of the beefy commons likely to be revealed-- all of those eat a flipped Dragon except for the Ambushers, and they have a huge potential upside. Meanwhile I'd much rather cast one of the 6-drops face up. There is some curve-smoothing versatility here, but the reason Glacial Stalker is sweet and Ainok Tracker isn't is that one of those bodies is way more relevant in the lategame when you're flipping morphs up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Zvi Moshowitz was like super mad about damnation for some reason (that I don't get) but whatever.

I think if they did a marketing ploy for tsp on the level of what they did for later (worse) sets it would have sold well but they're gonna call it a design flop and not a marketing flop either way.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm pretty sure Harmonize didn't confuse casual players. Hell, it's hard to think of a card that is more straightforward than Harmonize.

Nobody was fleeing the game in droves because the word "vigilance" on a sphinx broke their tiny little casual brains.

Please don't strawman what I'm saying. You are making the argument about specific cards, not about the set in general as I did. Yes any one of these effects, once, is not horrible. Thats why specific cycles of cards, like the Dragons in Dragons of Tarkir lets Green have Fliers, but outright change on a large scale is another matter entirely.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So you know the dailymtg article today about preregistration prizes for every 100 entrants to GP Las Vegas?

Guess who just won the timetwister? My first power :allears:

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So you know the dailymtg article today about preregistration prizes for every 100 entrants to GP Las Vegas?

Congrats!! That's awesome!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Nice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The only one of the P9 legal in anything you could actually play.

You know you want to cast that poo poo in EDH.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's awesome! Did they contact you via email?

SHOULD I BE FURIOUSLY REFRESHING MY EMAIL?!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

En Fuego posted:

That's awesome! Did they contact you via email?

SHOULD I BE FURIOUSLY REFRESHING MY EMAIL?!

Yeah an email from Eric Levine. I'm supposed to brag on #GPVegas but I don't use twitter!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah an email from Eric Levine. I'm supposed to brag on #GPVegas but I don't use twitter!

Who all from the Seattle area is going to GP Vegas? I accidentally pre-registered at one level above what I intended and get access to the super sweet planeswalker lounges.

Also that rewards list looks sweet as heck, it'd be nice to get something off of it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

On the subject of why blue gets fliers and not green, it's because they decided that the four classical elements would be split between Blue and Red. Red got Earth and Fire and Blue got water and air.

And in the same breath they gave Green the spells Hurricane, Desert Twister, Squall, Tornado, and Typhoon. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cactrot posted:

Who all from the Seattle area is going to GP Vegas? I accidentally pre-registered at one level above what I intended and get access to the super sweet planeswalker lounges.

Also that rewards list looks sweet as heck, it'd be nice to get something off of it.

The rewards list is insane but I find it kinda weird that they're giving away a full set of Foil Zen Fetches (individually) but not a full set of SDCC 2013/2014 Planeswalkers (4/5 for 2013 4/6 for 2014) or Judge Promo Fetches (Mire, Foothills, and Heath but no Delta or Strand).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Cactrot posted:

As a Sea-Goon, I will be there. BJ (if you know local radio) and his kid will be there as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of power creep, would people play Juzam Djinn right now?? Its a vanilla 5/5 with no evasion and a drawback that gets chumped all day. But it might also let you be dumb with Gary.

(And it's got the coolest classic MTG art and its on the dumb Reserved List. :negative:)

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did you just post in Magic: The Seattleing? ;)

Congrats!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of power creep, would people play Juzam Djinn right now?? Its a vanilla 5/5 with no evasion and a drawback that gets chumped all day. But it might also let you be dumb with Gary.

(And it's got the coolest classic MTG art and its on the dumb Reserved List. :negative:)

Deso demon was better even that wasn't played until the Mono B devotion deck was a thing...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

A non-legendary 5/5 for 4 seems OK to me. I mean it's not blowing anything out of the water but it's still decent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Juzam Djinn was a sideboard card at best 8 years ago when it got a functional reprint as a sliver that had additional utility on top of the 5/5 body.

There's definitely an argument to be made for it in a world of Rhinos and Tasigurs but probably not.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Desecration Demon has a similar drawback to Juzam Djinn (your opponent can just throw their worst creature away rather than eat an attack), way better stats, and still didn't see a lot of play until Innistrad rotated out. You'd need a really specific environment for people to play Juzam Djinn and I don't think anyone'd be happy about it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rukawa posted:

Did you just post in Magic: The Seattleing? ;)

Congrats!

Yeah MTS is hilarious and the admins haaaate me. I make sure to be civil on there though.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cernunnos posted:

A non-legendary 5/5 for 4 seems OK to me. I mean it's not blowing anything out of the water but it's still decent.

Gurmag Angler?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I'm guessing sacrificing a creature is like any other cost. You can't sacrifice a single creature to activate several abilities?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xeom posted:

I'm guessing sacrificing a creature is like any other cost. You can't sacrifice a single creature to activate several abilities?

Right. However, if you have several "when you sac a creature, do a thing" effects, they will all trigger off each sacrifice you make.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like how we still haven't found out what Vial of Dragonfire does.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Saving the best for last. Guaranteed not only to shape standard but modern too, bringing its tutor into full view.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Vial of Dragonfire {6}

Artifact

During your upkeep, you may add a Dragonfire counter to ~this.

T: Place a dragon creature from your hand onto the battlefield with CMC equal to the number of Dragonfire counters on this.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
e: ^^ why would they make an unplayable worse Aether Vial

Woo, won my second Tuesday modern night in a row with Merfolk. :toot: Cursecatcher finally made the difference in being the last counter on a stack of four counters that blocked what would have been game-ending Splinter Twin. The game before that, my opponent Bolted one Phantasmal Image, Remanded his Bolt, and Bolt the other Phantasmal Image (turning 12 unblockable damage into 2 chump damage).

Also holy poo poo Duress reprint, ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Blue Regent:

Icefall Regent 3UU
Creature - Dragon
Rare
Flying
When Icefall Regent enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Icefall Regent.
Spells your opponents cast that target Icefall Regent cost 2 more to cast.
4/3

• Locked thread