Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FuzzySkinner posted:

-Russell? Biggest draft bust ever.

I hope you are talking physical size, or are you forgetting one Mr. Ryan Leaf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

I hope you are talking physical size, or are you forgetting one Mr. Ryan Leaf?

Ryan Leaf didn't ruin the Chargers cap situation like Jamarcus did. Dude walked away with like $60 mil.

Also, Alex Smith sucked dick for like, 8 years. He was seriously awful. In today's NFL, he'd probably have washed out of the league and never gotten the chance to show he could play in his 30's.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

Jeff Garcia for sure, they just got him too late and didn't give him Garrison Hearst or TO.

Oh god, I forgot Garcia was on the Browns. But yeah, looking at it, another case of having no one else on offense.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

No.

Especially within the AFC loving North where you have 3 perennial playoff teams. One with a future HOF'er at QB (hate typing that), One that has led his team to the Super Bowl, and the other that well...I mean is better than whatever you're going to be able to toss against them.

This team is not going anywhere until they use their 1st overall pick on a QB of some merit. They have not done this since 1999.

Bullish thoughts on Andy Dalton.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Bullish thoughts on Andy Dalton.

Andy Dalton is in the hall of fame of my heart

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I can't remember where I read it now - Andy Dalton is the perfect benchmark.

If your quarterback is better, you can win a Super Bowl with him.

If he's worse, you need to find another guy.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i loved andy dalton until he was a dick last season and decided not to poo poo his pants against baltimore

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Sour Diesel posted:

i loved andy dalton until he was a dick last season and decided not to poo poo his pants against baltimore

sadjoeflaccoathalftime.gif

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

NC-17 posted:

Also he's very handsome.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

NC-17 posted:

Well and this is very much dead-on. The Bengals likely have the most talented roster in the division across the board. This a team that's very 2000's ravens/steelers-esque in terms of talent.

The problem is....their quarterback is nowhere near as good as those teams I just discussed. Also unlike those teams I just mentioned? He has to deal with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, No. 7 and Flacco all the time. So the matchup is very much in a pain in the rear end in that regard.

Back to the Browns? I think they came closest to Dalton-type level of success with Hoyer. I think the last "Good" QB that has walked through the tunnel at Cleveland Browns stadium was Tim Couch...who I believe if he had been on the Steelers or Ravens during those years? Would have likely hoisted a Lombardi. (1999-2004 Steelers fwiw).

Since that has happened? The Browns have never attempted to pick a QB with their number 1, it's always been either mid round projects or players drafted in the late first round. People poo poo on the Browns all the time for drafting "busts" at the position, but when you're drafting guys like Brandon Weeden over the RG3-like (pre-Daniel Snyder bullshit) players that are hovering above your grasp? Well...you get what you paid for.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

FuzzySkinner posted:

Since that has happened? The Browns have never attempted to pick a QB with their number 1, it's always been either mid round projects or players drafted in the late first round. People poo poo on the Browns all the time for drafting "busts" at the position, but when you're drafting guys like Brandon Weeden over the RG3-like (pre-Daniel Snyder bullshit) players that are hovering above your grasp? Well...you get what you paid for.

The Browns never draft high enough to get the best QB in the draft. That's the problem. Every year they struggle to 4-5 wins and the teams ahead of them are just as QB needy and not willing to trade. I believe the term is "treadmill of mediocrity" where they constantly aren't bad enough to get the #1 and aren't good enough to actually win enough games to matter.

Holmgren offered a whole draft for the RG3 pick but Washington offered more high round picks so they lost that deal. In the end it didn't matter, because the Browns draft like poo poo year in and year out, especially with their top picks (5 busts in 3 years in the first round alone between Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Barkevious Mingo, Justin Gilbert and Manziel) and I think its unfair to try to act like RG3 would never have gotten hurt so many times or regressed or etc. 2014 is a particularly painful draft because the Browns, even after the Buffalo trade down, still whiffed badly on some very good players available and then of course out of the 3 top QB prospects left they pick the one who was historically bad on the field and is completely loving busted mentally off the field.

Let's not forget the 2009 draft where they had 3 picks in the second round and all 3 were horrendous failures.

Maybe this year is the year the Browns are tanking for #1 though. Josh McCown took the Bucs to the promised land, maybe between him and Manziel we can have a nice solid 1-2 win season and hope that someone from the trio of Cook, Hackenberg and Cardale end up looking like a slam dunk #1 pick. If Cardale starts at OSU this year and looks the part, he is the ideal AFCN QB. Incredibly big, strong, can take hits, ridiculous arm and has mobility. Browns could finally have a promising big goon QB like the Steelers and Ravens have done so well with in recent times.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why don't the Browns just say "gently caress it" and tank until they get the #1 pick?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Why don't the Browns just say "gently caress it" and tank until they get the #1 pick?

Do you think they could even do that correctly? :v:

Plus, tanking in the NFL isn't as easy as it can be in other sports, and could run the risk of guys getting seriously injured.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Because Andrew Luck will say "gently caress it" and stay in school an extra year, and Eli will say "gently caress it" and refuse to play for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Because Andrew Luck will say "gently caress it" and stay in school an extra year, and Eli will say "gently caress it" and refuse to play for you.

Yeah there's also this.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chichevache posted:

Because Jim Kelly will say "gently caress it" and play in Canada, and John Elway will say "gently caress it" and play baseball

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I remember in battlefield 2, there was a medal called "Purple Heart" given for earning a 1 to 20 KD ratio. You had to die twenty times in a single match to earn this reward. It took me a couple of hours to suck badly enough to earn this medal.

Although I believe the Browns are capable of being bad enough to get the first overall selection, I also believe they're capable of loving up when TRYING for it.

But lets be honest with each other; there's no way they'd make the correct pick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Imagine if the Browns had reformed for the 1998 season instead of the 1999

they would have picked Leaf

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
They would have picked Leaf because a homeless person would have told them to

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That homeless person would have been time traveler Ryan Leaf

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

say no to bats posted:

The Browns never draft high enough to get the best QB in the draft.

A brief analysis shows this to be false. See: 2001, 2004, 2005

In 2001 maybe they were hoping Brees would fall one more pick. I can't really blame them. Brady was also in this draft I think.

In 2004 and 2005 they passed on Roethlisberger and Rodgers respectively. They picked Kellen Winslow Jr and Braylon Edwards instead, which may have seemed like a good idea at the time? The Ben pass is pretty bizarre considering he'd be an Ohio-bred hero and their current QB was 35 year old Jeff Garcia. It's worth noting that the state of the franchise probably would have resulted in much less successful careers for these two, especially Ben.

Many years were complete busts at the QB position.

In 2012 there was actually a ton of fine options instead of Brandon Weeden. Tannehill instead of Richardson was also acceptable. I'll grant that the best QB was not available (Luck)

In 2014 the QB market was dubious at best but the Browns drafted based on a hobo's advice I understand? Bridgewater may have been a better choice.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Is that hobo even still alive, I just automatically assumed the second Manziel either went down hurt or went to rehab, Haslam put a revenge hit out on him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Is that hobo even still alive, I just automatically assumed the second Manziel either went down hurt or went to rehab, Haslam put a revenge hit out on him

Are we even sure that it was a homeless person and not the ghost of Browns' seasons yet to come

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
i don't agree with any of this chat about drafting a qb 1st overall, unless that player is BPA, and qb prospects like Luck, Manning, P, and Elway, etc are few an very far in between. You need an owner who badly wants to win, who then hires a GM with a plan, who in turn hires a coach with a vision, together they create franchise that's 100% on board with drafting and developing the players they draft, and subsequently sticking with THE PLAN even when your notoriously impatient and curmudgeonly fanbase bitches non-stop while you find your way.

Haslam needs to stop listening to all of the disparate and myriad criticism, and just loving stay on point. When in doubt, do nothing. Eg; Murchison/Landry, Rooney/Knoll, DeBartolo/Walsh, Kraft/Belichik, Mara/Coughlin, Allen/Carroll, etc et al

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
In 2017, the Browns will go 1-15 to secure the #1 pick in a draft that is even more implausibly loaded with quarterback talent than the 2012 draft. Their first pick will be the perfect prospect. The mythical 6'4", 235 pound hybrid of Michael Vick and Peyton Manning. He runs a 4.3, trucks linebackers, and shrugs off linemen in the pocket. His IQ is off the charts. Jon Gruden finally loses control -like we all thought he would- and tries to give the guy a big ol' sloppy Gruden Grinder right there in his QB camp (I call this kid the lollipop!) . Despite being the greatest prospect as a player, he's also an Ohio native and Golden Boy. He's got that Russell Wilson corporate charm that old white guys praise, but just a dash of that Joe "Dangerous" Flacco flair. The hometown hero is ecstatic to be bringing his talents to Cleveland, he wants his elderly grandparents (WW2 vets with purple hearts) to witness a Browns Super Bowl victory.

After John Mara's investigation into the Browns' season turns up an email from Haslam that reads, "Have Gordon drop a baggie of coke at Manziel's so he isn't prepared and we don't accidentally win too many games and miss out on the Best Draft Prospect of Any Sport Ever." the Giants replace Eli with the Great Prospect and continue to win Super Bowls. Goodell gets a raise.

In 2018 Mike Polk Jr. is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sour Diesel posted:

thank god for the playoffs or else the bengals wouldve won the superbowl already

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

i'm starting to think the hobo was just belichick after not shaving for a few days so haslam just thought hoodie + beard = hobo

TyrionBecomesASlave posted:

i don't agree with any of this chat about drafting a qb 1st overall, unless that player is BPA, and qb prospects like Luck, Manning, P, and Elway, etc are few an very far in between. You need an owner who badly wants to win, who then hires a GM with a plan, who in turn hires a coach with a vision, together they create franchise that's 100% on board with drafting and developing the players they draft, and subsequently sticking with THE PLAN even when your notoriously impatient and curmudgeonly fanbase bitches non-stop while you find your way.

Haslam needs to stop listening to all of the disparate and myriad criticism, and just loving stay on point. When in doubt, do nothing. Eg; Murchison/Landry, Rooney/Knoll, DeBartolo/Walsh, Kraft/Belichik, Mara/Coughlin, Allen/Carroll, etc et al

It's also lovely when owners like haslam will hire a GM and stay "hands off" for as long as they can stand before they just gotta start loving with poo poo.

It was kinda funny in the Ravens presser this season to hear Steve Bisciotti talk about free agency. He said something like "Ozzie has a number and that's that, every time I've asked about bumping it he wouldn't budge"

It's gotta be a sweet as gently caress gig for Bisciotti when his day at the Ravens facility is comprised of blowing lines of coke in his office and throwing paper airplanes around while asking Ozzie Newsome permission on how to spend his own money.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sour Diesel posted:

i'm starting to think the hobo was just belichick after not shaving for a few days so haslam just thought hoodie + beard = hobo

This makes a lot of sense, Haslam doesn't know what a good coach looks like.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chichevache posted:

oh drat

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chichevache posted:

:iceburn:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Back to the Browns? I think they came closest to Dalton-type level of success with Hoyer. I think the last "Good" QB that has walked through the tunnel at Cleveland Browns stadium was Tim Couch...who I believe if he had been on the Steelers or Ravens during those years? Would have likely hoisted a Lombardi. (1999-2004 Steelers fwiw).

I too, think Tim Couch was the last good QB of the Browns, but I doubt he would be able to lift a Lombardi regardless of whoever he was playing for.

His shoulder was deteriorating through college and he played through it. Playing for the Browns just made it go to poo poo faster.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That homeless person would have been time traveler Ryan Leaf

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Chichevache posted:

Mike Pettine is ok, dickballs.

Also if the Browns sign Parish Cox I'm jumping ship for as long as that piece of poo poo is on the roster.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Doctor Butts posted:

I too, think Tim Couch was the last good QB of the Browns, but I doubt he would be able to lift a Lombardi regardless of whoever he was playing for.

His shoulder was deteriorating through college and he played through it. Playing for the Browns just made it go to poo poo faster.

Derek Anderson was good until he wasn't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

Mike Pettine is ok, dickballs.

He will either do poorly this year and I will gloat, or he will do well and still get fired, and I will gloat.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Derek Anderson was good until he wasn't.

That Derek Anderson 10 win season was fun. Still missed the playoffs cause the AFCN is a train truck of a division.

Weren't the Browns a top 5 offense that season?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thing with Anderson is that he made a lot of terrible throwing decisions that turned out for the best before they didn't. Kind of like how poo poo turned out for Hoyer except I guess Anderson was a top gun funslinger.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Chichevache posted:

He will either do poorly this year and I will gloat, or he will do well and still get fired, and I will gloat.

You are the Spike to my Buffy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

You are the Spike to my Buffy.

I do not understand this reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Banking on a future hof qb in the first every year is just the dumbest idea. There's all of three guys in the last 16 years who could win games with a poo poo team around them and even then two of them struggle mightily come playoffs, to the detriment of their own legacy. Even if you do stumble onto somebody with talent (Like anyone can really tell.) your scorched earth talent policy will wind up with that QB hurt or looking to get the gently caress out of your city ASAP.

First get a line, then some talented offensive skill positions, then your QB, then defensive pieces until you have just enough to win.

• Locked thread