Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pervis posted:

The last 3 years have sucked hard (especially last year), but it's apparently somewhat normal for the state and region to go through horrible droughts and even really long droughts for decades, so it's not as much change as other regions. The late 70's had some ridiculously bad periods where reservoirs were basically empty, and the 80's had a pretty long drought period that didn't really clear until we had many good years in the 90's and full reservoirs were normal.

I remember reading about this sort of thing in a Steinbeck novel. How there were good years and bad years, but every few decades there were years so good that people flocked to the West, because the land was so fertile. It got so good people forgot it could be anything else. Then, like clock work, every few decades there'd also be really bad spells, where the land turned to dust and cattle died and people thought the end was nigh.

That man sure could write about country.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Torrannor posted:

I'm surprised that California isn't red, considering the water related horror stories out of the state. Or are they thinking that California is already relatively stressed, so the increase isn't in the "extremely more stressed" category?

See also Yemen, which will likely have a significant portion of its population murdering each other over mouthfuls of water in the next decade, not being a solid reddish black bar. Damage is basically all done there, and there's not too much farther to go when there's already water riots and chunks of the population walk dozens of miles on foot simply to obtain a small jug of water to carry back to their family.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The comparison between Norway and the UK is a great example of how to succeed/fail at being a major oil producer.

I like how renewable NK is.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Use the whole Mediterranean as a pumped storage hydro facility. ~Atlantropa~

We'll need seismic weapons to raise the entire Mediterranean basin above mainland Europe, then it'll be an easy task.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

We'll need seismic weapons to raise the entire Mediterranean basin above mainland Europe, then it'll be an easy task.
You just dam the Dardanelles and the Straight of Gibraltar and store energy by pissing off Turkey.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Finnish municipal map:

It's a big issue in Finland since, for a decade or so, the government has been trying to get the municipalities to consolidate by kind of voluntarily asking them to do so and since this hasn't been very efficient there was a plan by this government to consolidate at least some of them by force but it was junked since it's quite unpopular to do so.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

I'm not quite sure what's happening with Serbia on this map but it probably has to do with the fact that whatever terrain over here isn't a mountain is a river.

I found this site looking for river maps http://www.balkanrivers.net/ it's pretty cool, check it out. Keep scrolling and you'll get to a politically loaded map.

E: Here's the map:

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 12, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Some Lezgistani propaganda for y'all

Papua New Azerbaijan lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The comparison between Norway and the UK is a great example of how to succeed/fail at being a major oil producer.

We use imported coal generally, not oil. I mean oil based plants exist but they're the exception. It's not like we're wasting all our oil revenue. We're just idiots who were slow on the renewable bandwagon. Scotland is actually doing a good job. The rest of the UK is relying on Wind Turbines that keep falling out of favor politically. Hydro is defiantly superior to Wind but we don't have the option to build hydro plants everywhere and Solar is obviously not really efficient.

Besides all that the North Sea reserves are running out. Time to exploit those Falklands deposits and get Falkland war 2 going. Hope our ship point defense systems have improved.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Count Roland posted:

I remember reading about this sort of thing in a Steinbeck novel. How there were good years and bad years, but every few decades there were years so good that people flocked to the West, because the land was so fertile. It got so good people forgot it could be anything else. Then, like clock work, every few decades there'd also be really bad spells, where the land turned to dust and cattle died and people thought the end was nigh.

That man sure could write about country.

East of Eden. Fantastic loving book.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Regarde Aduck posted:

We use imported coal generally, not oil. I mean oil based plants exist but they're the exception. It's not like we're wasting all our oil revenue. We're just idiots who were slow on the renewable bandwagon. Scotland is actually doing a good job. The rest of the UK is relying on Wind Turbines that keep falling out of favor politically. Hydro is defiantly superior to Wind but we don't have the option to build hydro plants everywhere and Solar is obviously not really efficient.

Besides all that the North Sea reserves are running out. Time to exploit those Falklands deposits and get Falkland war 2 going. Hope our ship point defense systems have improved.

What places in general actually use oil for primary electrical generation all that much? Like, I'm aware that many islands run diesel or fuel oil based power plants due to the overall ease of transport as compared to coal (Hawaii's a big user of that, though they'll be switching their major power plants over to natural gas once their liquid natural gas receiving terminals are up and running) but do any countries really go whole hog on it?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Chile's all hosed up.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I can't see the relevance to Romania. What's up?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Riso posted:

I can't see the relevance to Romania. What's up?

latinos-everybody-forgets-about brotherhood

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I'm surprised that California isn't red, considering the water related horror stories out of the state. Or are they thinking that California is already relatively stressed, so the increase isn't in the "extremely more stressed" category?

The last 3 or 4 years of consecutive drought have not been from climate, but instead from temporary weather patterns which hit at the wrong time. California has a rainy winter, and for 3 or 4 winters in a row has had local dry weather phenomena, long-term unrelated to the overall climate change. The climate change hotter than average summers have obviously not been helping, but the rainfall in the winters being lower is likely not a climate change scenario, as the expected result from climate models is a mildly wetter winter rainy season followed by a mildly to moderately hotter spring, summer, and fall, creating an overall situation of mostly moderately more stress. Added to this is the fact that these dry winters for years on end have happened before for even 10+ years in the reconstructed weather analogue historical record before the current climate change, so odds are that we are likely in one of those coupled with climate change causing hotter, drier summers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CR7 wasn't born in mainland Portugal? Learned something new!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

3peat you need to start a Latin Kings chapter in Romania

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"maddie is not here" got a chuckle out of me

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I just hope that plan to build a tidal lagoon between Swansea and Neath goes through. Even if it does jut out rather ridiculously.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Regarde Aduck posted:

Solar is obviously not really efficient.

The issues around solar power are far more complex than "it's not really efficient". Most solar systems are installed on rooftops (on about 700,000 houses so far, not including commerical, industrial or public buildings) meaning the power reaches the home extremely efficiently; rather than being transported 50 miles through wires which need to be maintained, it just comes from the roof. Since at least 60% of our energy needs go towards heating buildings, solar installations have been going hand-in-hand with improved insulation, meaning that energy usage has been decreasing as solar generation has been increasing. Government initiatives to help people improve their homes insulation have always fallen flat on their face; the do-it-with-solar-panels is far more of a success.

We've seen the maps of the US and Europe showing that Britain receives little sunlight compared to most other countries, but again that's not the full story. As a photovoltaic cell heats up it gradually becomes less efficient; rooftop systems in the US and Australia have to use a portion of the electricity they generate just to cool themselves down again. With Britains low temperatures and stable wind this isn't a problem, so what they lose through lack of sunlight they gain through not needing a cooling system.

We're not going to see large scale solar farms in the UK anytime soon, like they've got in the US or Spain. The technology isn't there yet, but we'll see many more on rooftops which require little maintenance and virtually no cooling.

We've already had days in the UK where solar has generated more power than nuclear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

duckmaster posted:

We've already had days in the UK where solar has generated more power than nuclear.
But how many deaths/TWh does it cause compared to nuclear?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Paul.Power posted:

I just hope that plan to build a tidal lagoon between Swansea and Neath goes through. Even if it does jut out rather ridiculously.

It would be nice for people to have options other than working for the dvla. But it is just a poor man's cardiff bay barrage lets be honest.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The problem with solar panels on houses is you can't quickly and easily turn it off. Because of the electricity firemen can't use water and foam because of coatings on the panels just slides off. All they do in those cases is make sure only your house burns down and the fire doesn't spread to the neighbours.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Riso posted:

The problem with solar panels on houses is you can't quickly and easily turn it off. Because of the electricity firemen can't use water and foam because of coatings on the panels just slides off. All they do in those cases is make sure only your house burns down and the fire doesn't spread to the neighbours.
You could fit a halon system. You're already saving the environment with your solar rig, so you're entitled to dick it over if it doesn't respect that and allows your house to catch fire.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Guavanaut posted:

But how many deaths/TWh does it cause compared to nuclear?

How would you even measure that? :psyduck:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have one word for you just one word: Statistics.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Guavanaut posted:

You could fit a halon system. You're already saving the environment with your solar rig, so you're entitled to dick it over if it doesn't respect that and allows your house to catch fire.

But that costs money! Most in Germany just install the panels because the power companies have to buy your electricity.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

System Metternich posted:

How would you even measure that? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure the hydro deaths were caused by dams failing, so I guess no solar plant has caught on fire yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Top street names by state

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/03/06/these-are-the-most-popular-street-names-in-every-state/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

I'm guessing the 2nd Street ones have the 1st streets split between "First" and "Main?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spoeank posted:

What kind of messed up street numbering system is going on in ND, Montana, Wyoming & Oregon?

Edit: Florida too?

Probably first street getting split into "1st" and "Main", letting 2nd sneak out a victory.

Can't explain 3rd in Washington though

E: haha, I caught your edit! :woop:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Curse you quoting me before I figured it out

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jesus Christ Virginia. :negative:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

There is no way Georgia isn't "Peachtree" just from Atlanta alone.

edit in case you're wondering

wikipedia posted:

Peachtree Street
Peachtree Lane
Peachtree Avenue
Peachtree Circle
Peachtree Drive
Peachtree Plaza
Peachtree Way
Peachtree Walk
Peachtree Parkway

These are all just in Atlanta. There are sixty-two (62) other streets in Atlanta with the word "Peachtree" in them (Peachtree Industrial Road, Peachtree Memorial Highway, etc).

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 17, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Peanut President posted:

Peachtree Memorial Highway, etc).

RIP peach tree

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Maine
Main

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

PittTheElder posted:

Jesus Christ Virginia. :negative:

In their defense the Lee family was one of the most influential and important families in Virginia even before the Civil War. For example it was Richard Henry Lee that brought forth the resolution that would lead to the Continental Congress declaring independence, Robert E Lee's father Henry "Light-horse Harry" Lee was a general in the Continental Army and later Governor of Virginia, Arthur Lee was one of the US's first spies, as well as Jesse Lee, the "Apostle of Methodism."

That being said any street named Lee after the Civil War is most likely really named for Robert E. Lee.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

There is no way Georgia isn't "Peachtree" just from Atlanta alone.

edit in case you're wondering

These are all just in Atlanta. There are sixty-two (62) other streets in Atlanta with the word "Peachtree" in them (Peachtree Industrial Road, Peachtree Memorial Highway, etc).

Let's play "count the streets with Peachtree" for one small area in downtown Atlanta:

(also that little connecting section in the middle is a continuation of one of the Peachtree streets, I can't remember which now)

gmaps link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Can confirm, was in Atlanta for New Year's and almost missed a restaurant reservation due to every street being Peachtree something.