Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

I cannot believe that the Senate does not require amendments to be germane.

Technically, Senators may not propose amendments to appropriations measures that change existing law, which would obviously exclude Vitter's "hey lets end birthright citizenship" measure, but sometimes they decide not to enforce that rule.

The Senate! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Harry Reid's hatred of David Vitter is palpable. I think of all the Republicans stacking the benches in the upper chamber, Reid views Senator Diaper with the greatest contempt.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

haveblue posted:

Is this even possible? I thought that was set out in the Constitution.

Nope, it's part of the U.S. Code.

Vitter's amendment...

quote:

would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to prevent children born in the U.S. of foreign national parents from gaining automatic U.S. citizenship unless one of the parents is: (1) a U.S. citizen or national, (2) a lawful permanent resident, or (3) an alien performing active service in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

They're going to win too because the SCOTUS is all about corporate personhood. You guys should probably just brace yourselves for the McD win unless a conservative justice mercifully dies in the next year or two.

Or you could have faith that the majority will side with past decisions and not just side with big businesses. :laugh:

PostNouveau posted:

The Arkansas Time posted a huge investigative piece getting to the bottom of that hosed up adoption story where a state rep "rehomed" his adopted daughters to a molester.

It answers a lot of the questions people had:

Was there some hosed up religious angle? You better believe it.

Did the state rep use his influence to get the adoption? gently caress yes he did.

Why did he send them to an employee he fired? The timeline of the original reporting has been cleared up. The molester worked for the state rep when the girls where "rehomed" to him, and they were moved shortly after he was fired.

Is there even a remote chance this shitstain and his wife will face any meaningful charges? :smith:

Joementum posted:

This brilliant plan hit a bit of a snag yesterday when Democrats learned that Republicans had snuck the Hyde Amendment language into the bill at the last moment in committee without anyone on the Democrats' staff noticing it.

To be fair if I were ever in congress I'd do this all the loving time. Massive defense bill nobody's going to read and has to pass? Hold on while I sneak in some language empowering the FCC over all things internet-related.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, "We’re happy to debate all the amendments they want … including Vitter’s stupid amendment.” ~ Harry Reid.

This owns, Reid owns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

Vitter's amendment...

There's also a supreme court decision based on the 14th amendment, though. Vitter's amendment wouldn't or at least shouldn't work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wong_Kim_Ark

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there even a remote chance this shitstain and his wife will face any meaningful charges? :smith:

The governor's ordered a review of how DHS operates, so you can see where this'll go.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I grabbed the link out of another article discussing it that said it was bitcoin that was broken, when I breezed through it I didn't catch the mistake and repeated it here, creating an all new, all wonderful mistake of my own.

So I guess this means there is no happy news.

Aww, this is legitimately disappointing. :smith:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, "We’re happy to debate all the amendments they want … including Vitter’s stupid amendment.” ~ Harry Reid.

That's beautiful. The senate should be like that all the time.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also there is a blank placed in one of the rifles which are given out at random; nobody knows which rifle contains the blank which is supposed to assuage any feelings of guilt because you could have been the dude with the harmless rifle.

When you shoot a rifle with a real bullet you get a kick back from that whole newton for ever action there is an opposite but equal reaction thing.

So a gun with no bullet coming out will feel very different to one with the real bullet. AKA you know which rifle you got.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

They're going to win too because the SCOTUS is all about corporate personhood. You guys should probably just brace yourselves for the McD win unless a conservative justice mercifully dies in the next year or two.

Christ I just don't understand how this is supposed to work. Like what class of corporation do you have to be to claim your company is a "person" and you should be protected under the 14th Amendment?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I cannot believe that the Senate does not require amendments to be germane.

This is America, everything is germane no matter how fantastical, absurd or non-factual :unsmigghh:

See also: climate change, evolution, the age of the earth, etc.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

I grabbed the link out of another article discussing it that said it was bitcoin that was broken, when I breezed through it I didn't catch the mistake and repeated it here, creating an all new, all wonderful mistake of my own.

So I guess this means there is no happy news.

Impeach Fried Chicken.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The link is fine. The CIA broke BitLocker, a popular encryption tool developed by Microsoft and included by default in Windows.

Sort of. They potentially have found an attack that can be performed against BitLocker while it is running, due to the way Windows stores keys in use. It's still really complicated, involving power draw analysis, and takes time. Basically, they can't break into a cold flash drive they find, but can break into a computer running an encrypted hard drive.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or you could have faith that the majority will side with past decisions and not just side with big businesses. :laugh:

To clarify for everyone since the HuffPo Piece isn't clear at all on what the suit is about here is a summary that does address it.

Short version - the law enacts a $15/hr minimum wage. It gives large corporations 3 years to enact this, and small businesses 7 years. It also classifies franchise operations like McDonalds as large corporations, and thus the shorter deadline. McDonalds wants the "the franchises are each separate entities, we aren't one big company" mantra they have been using for years to dodge a bunch labor and tax laws to be upheld yet again - that the courts rule "hey the franchises are each separate entities, making these small businesses finish by 3 years and letting those small businesses finish in 7 years is a violation of equal protection" and let them have 7 years (and thus 16 more quarterly earnings reports that say "give the leadership big bonuses"). And if the court does accept "the franchises are each separate entities, not one big company" it will side with McDonalds, and it will be right to do so. The catch is that last fall the NLRB ruled that McDonalds was a joint employer, not a bunch of independent franchises.

So the question isn't "does the 14th amendment apply for this corporate persons case", though McDonalds will try to keep it there, it is the much murkier question of "is McDonalds a joint-employer or not", which they are presently losing ground on.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
More good news... For Republicans!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Monkey Fracas posted:

Christ I just don't understand how this is supposed to work. Like what class of corporation do you have to be to claim your company is a "person" and you should be protected under the 14th Amendment?
The 14th Amendment argument is actually that the distinction is irrational (because of franchises), and should fail rational basis, not that any sort of heightened scrutiny needs to apply. This is also very wrong. I'm really curious to see if they win, what the remedy is. It seems to me that the slow ramp up is severable, and they could just rule that everyone has to raise wages on the faster schedule (or the opposite).

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

This is probably the number one reason we're facing such an uphill battle in just about every arena. Everybody is extremely cynical about the potential for the government to do any good for the average person, and they've got strong reason to have those views.

All the right needs to do is to keep throwing more monkey wrenches into the process when and where possible. Keep the cynicism high and the voter turnout low.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The most important type: One that can donate large amounts of money to political campaigns.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:shepface:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Well two of the three are completely unabashedly loving over the American people, can you blame them? If theleft wants people to trust government it has to start locally and then work to change national ideas.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

~50% confidence in the military though, probably just ought to make them the government.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Tonk posted:

So isn't Cotton the same guy that had a meeting with all the top lobbyists in his state after winning his House election because he needed to ask them how to be a Congressman? I swear it's the same guy, but with his recent defense lobbyist meeting I can't find anything else in google.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I remember reading that but I think that was an unsubstantiated secondhand claim from a D&D poster. At least I could never dig up supporting material on the topic.

That was me. It wasn't lobbyists in his state; it was in Washington. I was working at a fairly prominent lobbying firm in 2012 when he was first elected as a Congressman and he came in for a sit down meeting when he was referred to our firm by some Republican foreign policy think tank. He was the biggest idiot / empty suit I have ever seen in my life. When someone else at the firm told me that he had gone to Harvard I literally thought he was making a joke. He sat down for about 45 minutes with his army buddy / campaign manager. Highlights include:

- Asking if it was possible to vote without being in congress; either by phone or by proxy.
- Asking who to contact to get a finance director, because his army buddy / campaign manager was doing the entire campaign budget and donations in excel during the campaign and was relying on outside money for ads / had no idea what he was doing and didn't want to get arrested for FEC reporting violations.
- Asking what "the best" committee to be on was.
- Gave out his personal cell phone number to multiple top lobbyists so "I can call you if I have any questions."
- Asked what Medicare Part A and B were. He knew what Part D was.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Davethulhu posted:

Impeach Fried Chicken.

This is the answer to everything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente posted:

Harry Reid's hatred of David Vitter is palpable. I think of all the Republicans stacking the benches in the upper chamber, Reid views Senator Diaper with the greatest contempt.

Sounds like the feeling's mutual.

quote:

“I’ve received some nice compliments for my legislative work. But Harry Reid calling my effort to end birthright citizenship abuse ‘Vitter’s stupid amendment’ is right up there with the highest of compliments, considering the source,” Vitter said. “Thank you, Harry, for building attention and credibility on this important issue.”

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Someone please put a resignation letter in front of him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Joementum posted:

Vitter's amendment...

That part of the US code merely repeats the part of the 14th Amendment that states:

quote:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Just because the US code repeats part of the Constitution doesn't mean it has the option to change it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

The Arkansas Time posted a huge investigative piece getting to the bottom of that hosed up adoption story where a state rep "rehomed" his adopted daughters to a molester.

It answers a lot of the questions people had:

Was there some hosed up religious angle? You better believe it.

Did the state rep use his influence to get the adoption? gently caress yes he did.

Why did he send them to an employee he fired? The timeline of the original reporting has been cleared up. The molester worked for the state rep when the girls where "rehomed" to him, and they were moved shortly after he was fired.

poo poo like this is why I speak out about religious child abuse. What I went through was nowhere near this bad and it left me a broken schizophrenic wandering the streets. These girls........God I hope they have people that really care in their lives now. I just can't even imagine. The agony they will have to endure in their healing process....I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
John Kerry reminded Marco Rubio that ISIS and Iran are enemies today:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/kerry-teaches-rubio-the-basics-about-the-middle-east

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's something for you to enjoy this evening: Ted Cruz pausing for applause and not getting any at the IFAA confab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWkImxhTFTk

evilweasel posted:

That part of the US code merely repeats the part of the 14th Amendment that states:

Just because the US code repeats part of the Constitution doesn't mean it has the option to change it.

Excellent point! I am not surprised to learn that Vitter's amendment is, as described, stupid.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Here's something for you to enjoy this evening: Ted Cruz pausing for applause and not getting any at the IFAA confab.

Excellent point! I am not surprised to learn that Vitter's amendment is, as described, stupid.

:wow:

He went over like a wet fart.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

I'm having an altogether awful loving day, but this really helped. You do good work Joementum.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

This is so good. Just absolute silence, not even a couple defectors.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

What was he thinking? To walk into one of the largest unions in the nation and then just poo poo all over policies of their biggest supporters politically. Methinks Raph is not used to speaking to non-Texans.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I'm shocked, Ted "Kill the government" Cruz getting the cold shoulder from a huge public union? This is unthinkable.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

How are u posted:

:wow:

He went over like a wet fart.

You rang?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

max4me posted:

When you shoot a rifle with a real bullet you get a kick back from that whole newton for ever action there is an opposite but equal reaction thing.

So a gun with no bullet coming out will feel very different to one with the real bullet. AKA you know which rifle you got.
I didn't say it was smart, I was just outlining the reasoning behind it :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Dr. Tho ``Bella'' Dinh-Zarr of Texas was nominated to be a member of the National Transportation Security Board on September 18, 2014 by President Obama. Her nomination is supported by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) who spoke in favor of her confirmation in December. The Senate will vote to confirm the nomination tomorrow. The seat has been vacant for a year, today.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

max4me posted:

Given most a gun's recoil is from propellant gases and not bullet, and the same amount of propellant would generate the same amount of total force with or without a bullet, how noticeable is it? I've never shot blanks so don't know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus, they're already trying to convince themselves it feels like a blank.

• Locked thread