Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have to say, the thing I'd be least hype about for a third season is the same protagonists. They really just don't have enough to them to carry it and they've already gotten over most of their flaws and problems. I could see Sei carrying a second season with "now I have to fight on my own" (back before the 7 year timeskip) but not these guys.

Maybe Sekai will get his brain wiped in the last episode and Build Burning will end up in a junkyard where a jerkass teen gets a hold of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gundam Build Fighters Double Try?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to say, the thing I'd be least hype about for a third season is the same protagonists. They really just don't have enough to them to carry it and they've already gotten over most of their flaws and problems. I could see Sei carrying a second season with "now I have to fight on my own" (back before the 7 year timeskip) but not these guys.

Maybe Sekai will get his brain wiped in the last episode and Build Burning will end up in a junkyard where a jerkass teen gets a hold of it.

I think they could spin it out if they actually managed to cycle Sekai out of designated main character and give the job back to Fumina.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh a third season could let them actually develop the characters, especially if it breaks up the team, so keeping the same cast wouldn't necessarily be bad, and there's no reason they couldn't bring back some season 1 characters. I would be delighted if BF Tryhard was the graceful return of Ricardo Fellini.

Edit: I guess I should be a little fair to the show in that it at least makes it clear that Fumina is the team captain, but she hardly ever gets to do much of anything, and it seems like they really don't want to animate real mode Star Winning. It's had all of like 30 seconds of screen time.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 11, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Raxivace posted:

Gundam Build Fighters Double Try?

Gundam Build Fighters TRY AGAIN.

Featuring a Gunpla Band as the protagonists.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
You know what I just realized? This episode answered the question of how it would function if somebody made a weapon that transmuted the environment into Plavsky particles. And Minato made a cutscene for it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Maybe Try Again would work if they focused pretty heavily on the fact that going to the World Tournament would bring back a lot of the original series cast. Then spending the entire series as an outsider looking in rather than watching it through the lens of the Try Fighters. Basically have the Try Fighters lose in the second round and spend the rest of the series with them in the stands watching Ricardo Fellini be fabulous.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Inverse Jigen Haoh Law, whereupon the quality of the episode's battle is inversely proportional to how much Jigen Haohing there is.

I really find it funny that they're walking back Assimilation even more than they did, since the Try Burning got its back and spine ripped to poo poo and yet again ended the fight as an amputee. It took more damage in this battle than pretty much any other battle besides Junya and the trial fight at Nielsen Labs. Whoever came up with that plot point in the first place really didn't think the implications for how it would handicap their choreography through at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Maybe Try Again would work if they focused pretty heavily on the fact that going to the World Tournament would bring back a lot of the original series cast. Then spending the entire series as an outsider looking in rather than watching it through the lens of the Try Fighters. Basically have the Try Fighters lose in the second round and spend the rest of the series with them in the stands watching Ricardo Fellini be fabulous.

While I know you're probably not making an entirely serious suggestion, having Yuuma and Fumina job out almost immediately would be probably one of the worst things they could do. It would be taking a chance to fix the flaws of Try and instead just writing it off as a loss to try to relive the original's appeal. There's plenty of room to work on Fumina, and Yuuma is a bit better established and would clearly work as a friendly rival. There's also the whole thing with having Lady as a probable mentor who would have to be fought in the tournament.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chumbler posted:

While I know you're probably not making an entirely serious suggestion, having Yuuma and Fumina job out almost immediately would be probably one of the worst things they could do. It would be taking a chance to fix the flaws of Try and instead just writing it off as a loss to try to relive the original's appeal. There's plenty of room to work on Fumina, and Yuuma is a bit better established and would clearly work as a friendly rival. There's also the whole thing with having Lady as a probable mentor who would have to be fought in the tournament.

Fumina has actually grown and improved even less than Sei had at this point. She's pretty much still a blank slate so there's still a lot of room to work with her.

She built a super awesome fancy robot but as a person she hasn't really had any growth or revelations beyond "whoa i need to not rely on my teammates to do everything for me" and her involvement with every other character in the cast has occurred through a Sekai or Yuuma tinted lens.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 11, 2015

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kanos posted:

She built a super awesome fancy robot but as a person she hasn't really had any growth or revelations beyond "whoa i need to not rely on my teammates to do everything for me" and her involvement with every other character in the cast has occurred through a Sekai or Yuuma tinted lens.

Yuuma had a battle with one of his two rivals today. Fumina only has one rivalry and it revolves largely around Sekai's Dimension Overlord Straight Thrust.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, Fumina and Shia have lots of reasons to fight.

Like... Fumina built a good Gunpla and... uh... Lady Kawaguchi wants to see it?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Next season should just be Sei and Mejin broing out being huge Gundam nerds.

e: really it should just be an episodic show about Mejin going around inspiring people by being really hammy and then driving off on his motorcycle.

GO!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Watch them go full Devil May Cry and make everything else prequels.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I will only accept a third season if it is Gundam Build Fighters TRY ON 3!

Obari animates every episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Watch them go full Devil May Cry and make everything else prequels.

I would do terrible things for a half hour OVA set in the 80s where they all battle with the original Gundam models.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
How have they not done Build Fighters Variations yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

How have they not done Build Fighters Variations yet?

They have. They have entire manga sidestories about them. There's stuff like a custom Zeta using the Red Frame's latest sword or the various Amazing variations or Gainyaa Gundam.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

They have. They have entire manga sidestories about them. There's stuff like a custom Zeta using the Red Frame's latest sword or the various Amazing variations or Gainyaa Gundam.

I thought that was all from the Yuuki prequel manga?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The latter two are, but there's also a Honoo photo series that is... a thing, I guess? Honestly still don't know what's going on with that beyond the fact it's moved into Try.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

God drat was a fun episode. I want a Tryon-3 kit so bad. :shepspends:

ImpAtom posted:

It's okay. He'll live on...

when SRW inevitably includes Tryon-3 and it's the most broken goddamn unit in the game.
When that happens, I'm FUB'ing Tryon-3 so fast it will set a new land-speed record.

Also, from Obari's Twitter (translated by someone on /m/):

quote:

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/575685111342981120

>To me, GBF Try is a body of work that lets your work to your best because it will have a physical product.
>But this episode wasn't easy. I (now) feel burnt out like pic.
Obari really did go all out this episode. :allears:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Watching some of the other eps of Build Fighters, I really notice that a huge chunk (not ALL) of BF Try's problems could have been solved with a slightly more efficient use of a budget (or perhaps just MORE budget).

Like this is probably the most stunning episode we've had in the entire series, visually speaking. Part of that is because Obari is the greatest, but another part of that is that everything else looks so, so shoddy even compared to its predecessor. I mean, I know they're juggling this and G-Reco (and a little bit of The Origin), but it couldn't have killed them to pour a bit more money into the non-Obari episodes to make them look better.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
tryon 3 should have won this is bullshit

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lessail posted:

Yeah, all team try hating aside, if Tryon had won and the series just re-centered on them I wouldn't have batted an eye. They rock.

Also I like that the 'innermost secret' of his school is 'build whatever you want', and is immediately identified by his teammate. Nothing says innermost secret of a gunpla building school like immediately seen and understood by people who aren't members of a special building school.

Edit: What did I expect from this show though. The secret of the Jigen Haoh School is 'just want to win even more, then win.'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, the rest of Try is eh, but it was all worthwhile for this one episode. I don't even care what happens after this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Next episode is Try's version of Gunpla Eve, and from the previews it looks to be Pep Talks: The Episode. So at the very least the entire cast is going to get to do something instead of just sitting around cheerleading.

And hey, we might even see Sekai's maste- ahahahahahhaa.

Blackchamber posted:

Also I like that the 'innermost secret' of his school is 'build whatever you want', and is immediately identified by his teammate. Nothing says innermost secret of a gunpla building school like immediately seen and understood by people who aren't members of a special building school.

Going by his first appearance in... episode 4 (?), Sakai screams "GUNPLA IS FREEDOM" like all the time when he's fighting. Kind of hard not to pick it up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
A team that never had a chance of making it suddenly gets thrust onto the national stage when a hotshot Gunpla builder transfers in. But can they stay true to themselves, their friends, and the spirit of Gunpla? And what is the deal with this mysterious transfer student, and his dark history with an old rival? Find out, in a hypothetical, much better, version of Gundam Build Fighters where you actually care about the main characters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah, all team try hating aside, if Tryon had won and the series just re-centered on them I wouldn't have batted an eye. They rock.

Edit: What did I expect from this show though. The secret of the Jigen Haoh School is 'just want to win even more, then win.'

The innermost secret of the Shingyo School not being a secret at all was the entire point of Mao's character building episode in S1. Kid was so stressed about finding a way to win an impossible fight that he was trying to figure out if Chinan knew some sort of magic technique to make himself super strong and Chinan's big revelation to him was "Kid, just have fun and enjoy yourself".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lessail posted:

ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters Try - tryon 3 should have won this is bullshit

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, I like how the coolest thing Yuuma's done all season is shoot off his own arm.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If Sakai had only done one rocket punch against the Lightning's backpack, he would've won.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally, I like how the coolest thing Yuuma's done all season is shoot off his own arm.

Prior to that his best moment was impaling himself on the Mega Shiki. At least he's consistent.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Prior to that his best moment was impaling himself on the Mega Shiki. At least he's consistent.

Cut the kid some slack. He's using a boring gundam as a base and all it can really do is shoot gun.

Also a thought occurred to me about the hypothetical Triple Try-ad season: it's another possible chance for them to finally show a mobile armor not being completely useless. Also another chance to finally have a god damned Leo.

vvvv Whatever, it's still boring. And ugly.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 11, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chumbler posted:

Cut the kid some slack. He's using a boring gundam as a base and all it can really do is shoot gun.

the Re-GZ is not a Gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Also shoot missile. And occasionally shoot backpack.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The coolest thing Sekai has done all season is a flying arm bar, so it's not like being restricted to firearms is an actual problem. The Lightning's just been hit really hard by the 3v3 format; you're not going to get a well-choreographed fight that showcases your strengths when your teammates are Kung Fu Miracle Man and Does Basically Everything.

Just look at Meijin vs Yuuma; the Lightning was cool as poo poo in that fight.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

boom boom boom posted:

the Re-GZ is not a Gundam.

Which stands for Refined Gundam Zeta

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Luminaflare posted:

Which stands for Refined Gundam Zeta

Yeah, refined into not being a Gundam.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I have no idea how to care about the episodes that are left now that the only likable team got kicked out :qq:

Monathin posted:

Watching some of the other eps of Build Fighters, I really notice that a huge chunk (not ALL) of BF Try's problems could have been solved with a slightly more efficient use of a budget (or perhaps just MORE budget).

Like this is probably the most stunning episode we've had in the entire series, visually speaking. Part of that is because Obari is the greatest, but another part of that is that everything else looks so, so shoddy even compared to its predecessor. I mean, I know they're juggling this and G-Reco (and a little bit of The Origin), but it couldn't have killed them to pour a bit more money into the non-Obari episodes to make them look better.

FWIW, the production companies are the same and the first season was basically a license to print that sweet, sweet HG kit money so it wouldn't be so much a budget issue as a production time issue since there was a (relatively) short window between the first season ending and Try starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

boom boom boom posted:

I still don't understand what qualifies as requiring stored Plavsky particles and what doesn't

Cool fight tho. Shame about how it ended.

Clear plastic parts. They hold they key to magic.

e: is there a MG of the ZZ? it seems as if a MG of 1-2-3!TryonTHREE would be an insta-seller from day one.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread