Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Jesus now all the old Hotline Miami 1 excuses are coming out. "It's not hard, it's just frustrating!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not real- it's part of the movie they're shooting.

I'm pretty sure the studio part is, so yeah, he's as nuts as the rest of them.

Ghost Head posted:

Jesus now all the old Hotline Miami 1 excuses are coming out. "It's not hard, it's just frustrating!!"

Could everyone agree that it's a bit of both already

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ledgy posted:

Could everyone agree that it's a bit of both already

It really is both. It's timing/execution heavy, and there are still little tidbits of randomness to it that make it frustrating, and hilarious bugs like door-related hit detection. Hell, within the first 10 minutes of playing, I got stuck in door geometry. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The level editor trailer showed that in the enemy placement setup, among the different options, one was "random". That option just plain shouldn't have been in the game- or at a minimum it should bind the enemy to wander in a particular area.

Again, :agreed:
Random was fine in HLM1, cause it was limited, and sparingly used. But in 2 it seems like half the enemies are on the random pattern, so you could be executing your plan and woop, firearm guy shoots you cause his pattern took him to the other end of the room, outside of shift-look range, or you didn't have time to shift-look because another random guy is charging at you from the other direction or whatever.

Not even mentioning the bugs because I haven't experienced anything game-breaking. There's some annoyances (weapon pickups, bullet spread, throwing and the like), but I can let that be, considering it's literally a two-man job.

Ghost Head posted:

They're not opposite terms. It's hard, sure. Frustratingly hard, not challenging hard, that's my point.

VV: Don't think there were random gun guys, yeah.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Serperoth posted:

Random was fine in HLM1, cause it was limited, and sparingly used. But in 2 it seems like half the enemies are on the random pattern, so you could be executing your plan and woop, firearm guy shoots you cause his pattern took him to the other end of the room, outside of shift-look range, or you didn't have time to shift-look because another random guy is charging at you from the other direction or whatever.

In retrospect, I'm not sure the first game used any randomly moving gun enemies. The melee ones aren't much of a problem, but having a guy with a gun path out into a hallway or move into earshot, all out of sight, and throw off your planning, really sucks.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I know in Hotline Miami 1 random just meant occasionally one guy would change up his pattern and go into another room usually.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

In retrospect, I'm not sure the first game used any randomly moving gun enemies.

It did. I want to say they were seeded to repeat so it wouldn't veer in repeat.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Discendo Vox posted:

In retrospect, I'm not sure the first game used any randomly moving gun enemies. The melee ones aren't much of a problem, but having a guy with a gun path out into a hallway or move into earshot, all out of sight, and throw off your planning, really sucks.

Nah, RNG definitely played a part in the original, enemies would randomly leave their room and surprise you in the hallway. Its just more pronounced in HL2 because the maps are bigger, so its easier to lose track of them and they have more time to wander.

Also the first game had that awful random weapon system, where the weapon sitting could be anything between a crowbar, a AR, or a lovely can of soda.

RNG can be an interesting mechanic, where you have to adapt to the situation and correct for an enemy being in the wrong spot or agroing early or late. Unfortunately for many people it means you bruteforce it until the stars allign and everything goes according to plan.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Ledgy posted:

Did everybody quit the game before waiting the ~30 seconds of black screen or what ? Granted, it's surely a bad joke, but one man can dream.

I waited for a moment and then just gave up and hit escape. :stonk: I'm so ashamed!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Well... that's uh... that sure is one way to end a video game

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Also the first game had that awful random weapon system, where the weapon sitting could be anything between a crowbar, a AR, or a lovely can of soda.

Wait, people hated that mechanic? I loved it and thought it was part of the whole "make it up as you go" type game-play.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

Wait, people hated that mechanic? I loved it and thought it was part of the whole "make it up as you go" type game-play.

I loved it, but felt it could be more consistent. I seem to recall it would only give each 'spawn' weapons in the same category (melee/guns/thrown), but I could be wrong. Or maybe that was only some spawns?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Serperoth posted:

I loved it, but felt it could be more consistent. I seem to recall it would only give each 'spawn' weapons in the same category (melee/guns/thrown), but I could be wrong. Or maybe that was only some spawns?

It varied- and sometimes this would result in unwinnable situations, especially when you're given a throw-only weapon.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Have you found any rare and easy-to-miss weapons with their own unique executions/death animations, like the pot of boiling water in HL1? I found two throwable bottles of acid in Jake's last level and also remember someone mentioning a skateboard, which I must have missed.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Red Mundus posted:

I liked the mechanic, but I hated how you would unlock crapper weapons that would pollute the item pool.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

It varied- and sometimes this would result in unwinnable situations, especially when you're given a throw-only weapon.

I don't think HLM was ever unwinnable due to random weapon spawn.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Have you found any rare and easy-to-miss weapons with their own unique executions/death animations, like the pot of boiling water in HL1? I found two throwable bottles of acid in Jake's last level and also remember someone mentioning a skateboard, which I must have missed.

Skateboard is in No Mercy, I believe.

It has a pretty brutal execution. You place it in their mouth and curb stomp them with it

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Studio posted:

I don't think HLM was ever unwinnable due to random weapon spawn.

Not unwinnable, just really loving tough. I got a bottle one time with a room with two shotgun guys in the next room. I hit the first guy and died to the second's shotgun. Of course when I respawned there was a katana so I was fine. :v:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Game is very fun and personally I'm glad it plays differently. I'm happy I can always go back to HM1 or wait for the editor for old school, less gun-happy gameplay.

That said I can totally see why folks are disappointed. Word to anyone on the fence: if you're not cool with restrictive gimmicks and way more gunplay, stick to the first game or at least to see what happens with the level editor!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ddraig posted:

It has a pretty brutal execution. You place it in their mouth and curb stomp them with it

loving Christ, I'm glad I didn't pick that one up.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Ddraig posted:

Thanks, guess I'll have to check it out now. :stonklol:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i feel like half the levels in this game are of the Hot n Heavy school of design aka shitloads of windows everywhere, enormous mutlifloor stages, and gently caress you for trying to combo

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

drat. I went back to do the secret in Withdrawal and realised that I must have done the third floor first time originally by some fluke, so got the "Come to my office" 'ending' for Jake and thought it was the main one. His place in the story makes a lot more sense with that hidden ending, even if the failure one is technically canon.
I missed the hidden item thing though and now repeating it is apparently way harder than the first time around.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been killed by a guy stuck on a corner or a door, spinning wildly in circles at high speed. At least the soundtrack is as awesome as ever.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Astroduck posted:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been killed by a guy stuck on a corner or a door, spinning wildly in circles at high speed. At least the soundtrack is as awesome as ever.

Theyre invincible when that happens for some reason

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

ArfJason posted:

i feel like half the levels in this game are of the Hot n Heavy school of design aka shitloads of windows everywhere, enormous mutlifloor stages, and gently caress you for trying to combo

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing.

And yet somehow I still had fun, even though I loving hate Hot&Heavy :v:

oh yeah also: finished the game earlier today. Dat ending :stare:

favorite levels must've been the Tony and uh bear dude parts of the multistage Fans level (I'm too much of a scrub to effectively use the Swans it seems) - Roller Mobster blaring, just running in and manhandling/burying motherfuckers under a hail of lead like whoa

...and the Reporter levels, oddly enough. Not splattering everyone in sight into gorey chunks and staying your hand during executions is surprisingly satisfying, looks like. Wish we'd gotten more of them.

The Detective ones were pretty cool, too - even the container ship, but I'm a giant fan of Lethal Weapon 2 so I might've been a mite influenced by that

All in all, I thought it was good, and I loved the original. It's similar enough to the first game but also tries to do something different, and whether it hits or misses is up to the player I guess (I liked the new stuff, even the Hawaii levels! aside from the powerplant entrance jesus christ). Could do with shrinking the maps a bit and reducing the number of enemies by like 1/3 or something, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Protip: whenever you control the Detective, check the trunk of your car.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The higher level of randomness has left me without any of those "Finally got it!" moments like the first game had, where it feels like I figured out some really tricky puzzle and then managed to actually pull off a super demanding plan.

Now it feels like I'm relying on standing around a corner, shooting once, then just shooting the people piling around the wall one at a time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Does it do anything other than strip out that moment in the intro?

Is that moment in the intro? Because I set that option to off because I thought "off" meant censorship off, but I guess it meant that particular scene off. Which makes no sense, they were really unclear on which option kept that scene in.

But it's no big loss, I don't feel like I missed anything apart from seeing what all the pre-release fuss was about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The higher level of randomness has left me without any of those "Finally got it!" moments like the first game had, where it feels like I figured out some really tricky puzzle and then managed to actually pull off a super demanding plan.

Now it feels like I'm relying on standing around a corner, shooting once, then just shooting the people piling around the wall one at a time.

This was pretty fun in the one reporter level at least. I smacked them all down at once!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

Is that moment in the intro? Because I set that option to off because I thought "off" meant censorship off, but I guess it meant that particular scene off. Which makes no sense, they were really unclear on which option kept that scene in.

But it's no big loss, I don't feel like I missed anything apart from seeing what all the pre-release fuss was about.

Doesn't the option at first launch like literally say "Do you want to see scenes with graphic sexual violence"?

edit: Either way, yes, that's the only time it changes anything and yes it does happen at the very start of the game.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

King Vidiot posted:

It's pretty clear! It asks "Do you want to skip those scenes?" and the options are "yes" and "no"

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I believe if you go into the options menu it's 'on' and 'off' and 'on' corresponds to answering 'yes' (skip stuff) and 'off' corresponds to 'no' (don't skip stuff).

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
MAJOR ENDING SPOILER BELOW

gently caress YOU DENNATON NOW I WANT HOTLINE 3

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cerebulon posted:

drat. I went back to do the secret in Withdrawal and realised that I must have done the third floor first time originally by some fluke, so got the "Come to my office" 'ending' for Jake and thought it was the main one. His place in the story makes a lot more sense with that hidden ending, even if the failure one is technically canon.
I missed the hidden item thing though and now repeating it is apparently way harder than the first time around.

I'm pretty sure you get that scene anyway, you just can't interact with anything if you died on the third floor.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty sure you get that scene anyway, you just can't interact with anything if you died on the third floor.

nope
die in third floor, mobsters drag you to a room and kill you
survive, you get shot in 50 blessings office

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 12, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ArfJason posted:

nope
die in third floor, mobsters drag you to a room and kill you
survive, you get shot in 50 blessings office

Strange, I must have done that on my first try as well then.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

from reddit

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Broken record at this point, I'm sure...

I had no real complaints early on, but as soon as I hit 1:4 (the police station) I got a bit ticked off about long distance off-screen bullshit.

Still having fun, but that seems like a pretty big cock-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I still can't believe how deep and meangingful the story of this game

• Locked thread