Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

taco show posted:

Mine has XM and bluetooth, but I always bring/use an AUX cable anyway. Worst (best?) thing is that it's lime puke green and very, very ugly. I laughed aloud when I walked up to the spot. I usually don't care what car I get, as long as it's not some SUV behemoth that I have no chance in hell of parallel parking or whatever.

Next question, do i have to yell at the voice command because the doors are made of soda cans incapable of insulating against noise on the highway?

Thoguh posted:

Okay, grandpa.

In my day we had one button, the horn. And nobody used it on pain of violating the Social Contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thoguh posted:

Chargers not even on your list? Because they're at the top of mine for National.

It's okay. I hate the radio interface. It's a shittier version of the 300 and it has a worse transmission.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Shadowhand00 posted:

I know its not the greatest car but I really like the Chevy Cruze for some reason. It just reminds me of a vastly underpowered 3-series (e46).

If I'm traveling solo, I love the Cruz as well, although it's way too small to fit more than 2 people. Hyundai Sonata's and the newer Nissan Altima's are usually my go to if I have a choice.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

AgrippaNothing posted:

e: are kia souls nice? I probably wouldn't give a poo poo if it had >10K, bluetooth, satellite and good gas mileage.

Our policy is compact car unless you're sharing, and I'm 6'4". Honestly, the Soul is the most comfortable car for me of what the rental companies consider compact.

Yeah, features aren't great, but he biggest feature I'm looking for is "I fit in it."

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The soul is really uncomfortable for me, the seat seems to have a bend in it for some reason.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Used to be 100% travel consultant, out Sunday back Thursday kind of thing. Traded that in for a desk job. 2 and half years later and I think I made a mistake. Not just the lack of travel, but I changed industries and I don't think it is a good fit.

About to take a new job that'll involve 25-40% travel, but that travel is 2 weeks in China, 1 week in Australia, 1 week in Europe, then back to the states kind of thing.

Any tips? Outside of my honeymoon I haven't had to go through immigration since before they required a passport every time. Global Entry is obvious, but anything else?

Is there a recommended brand/style of checked luggage? I've got a B&R 22" for carryon duty.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone rented at dfw or aus from either hertz or Avis recently?

I've got a weekend rental in each city coming up and I would like to rent a Porsche or m5 via upgrading at the counter. I am guessing hertz will have the better selection?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

sink the biz posted:

If I'm traveling solo, I love the Cruz as well, although it's way too small to fit more than 2 people. Hyundai Sonata's and the newer Nissan Altima's are usually my go to if I have a choice.

I love the Cruze too! I like that it's smaller (I'm 5'3") but not too tiny in that you feel like you're driving around a deathtrap that's going to fold up like an accordion if it gets into an accident. The new Focuses are also nice, aside from having the ugliest dash design ever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

Anyone rented at dfw or aus from either hertz or Avis recently?

I've got a weekend rental in each city coming up and I would like to rent a Porsche or m5 via upgrading at the counter. I am guessing hertz will have the better selection?

I'd call the desk directly and see what they tend to have.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cross posted from Cheap travel thread:

I just booked Dubai with my wife over Thanksgiving for $750 each round trip, direct on Emirates. They are having a 2:1 deal right now on flights to Dubai from the US. The same flight over Christmas was over 2200 each.

We will be using this to book a nested ticket to the Maldives or somewhere else in the region for the majority of the time, with a day or two on each end to protect us for any misconnects and to decompress/prepare for the 16 hour flight back to LAX.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Among all the terrible things DL announced recently it also mentioned it would give a percentage of BIS miles flown for bulk, consolidated fares or other opaque fares which fixes a huge hole to the revenue based mile system yet fixes nothing about the medallion qualifying dollars for those of you using Amex or Concur.

Does anyone have any loving clue what percentage that will be and has anyone had any experiences yet with miles posting from a bulk fare?

FunOne posted:

Used to be 100% travel consultant, out Sunday back Thursday kind of thing. Traded that in for a desk job. 2 and half years later and I think I made a mistake. Not just the lack of travel, but I changed industries and I don't think it is a good fit.

About to take a new job that'll involve 25-40% travel, but that travel is 2 weeks in China, 1 week in Australia, 1 week in Europe, then back to the states kind of thing.

Any tips? Outside of my honeymoon I haven't had to go through immigration since before they required a passport every time. Global Entry is obvious, but anything else?

Is there a recommended brand/style of checked luggage? I've got a B&R 22" for carryon duty.

We just went through this with someone new to travel about page+ ago. There's some good general advice about packing, gear, etiquette. If you decipher the code using Talmudic methods, the wall of words will read "I AM A HUMAN loving BEING WORTHY OF LOVE AND RESPECT SOMEONE PLEASE LISTEN TO ME ITS SO loving LONELY. HELP. HELP. Help. Help, please, I don't want another hampton breaksfast." There's also something else shocking but I'll let you find that yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AgrippaNothing posted:

Among all the terrible things DL announced recently it also mentioned it would give a percentage of BIS miles flown for bulk, consolidated fares or other opaque fares which fixes a huge hole to the revenue based mile system yet fixes nothing about the medallion qualifying dollars for those of you using Amex or Concur.

My company uses Concur and I never have a problem with MQDs posting. Is that a common problem?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

There's also something else shocking but I'll let you find that yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

hookers and blow. Everyone lonely dude is a strip club regular

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Thoguh posted:

My company uses Concur and I never have a problem with MQDs posting. Is that a common problem?

It's only a problem if you buy a bulk fare. Same as orbitz or any travel site, Concur will buy blocks of generic tickets, give you a list price and then issue the ticket out of their queue of bulk fares if the rules allow on that flight. It's a real problem in that you can't see what you are going to get so sometimes you'll go and look at your itin and the bucket will list as a bulk (I believe this is a Q fare on UA) and at that point you have to flip it or eat it. Some travel rules don't allow you to use the site to change itins even in the 24hr grace period as easy as you could if you were just booking straight with the airline. It's a crap shoot that some have avoided by calling Concur and getting an agent to book everything and explicitly telling them to not book bulk fares but that breaks policy for some as there is a fee for phone assists.

My corp parents use Concur, we do not use it.... yet. That day, and P cards are coming. Right now I'm earning on borrowed time. For years now there's been too few of us that travel so we literally can't get anyone at Concur to bother setting us up. That's changing and along with hitting a snag in rev this first quarter, I'm expecting to hear from finance any day that they've made a bunch of worthless motions to save on expenditures, one of them will be rolling out Concur.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For Delta, I believe it's an E fare class.

Concur is garbage.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

AgrippaNothing posted:

My corp parents use Concur, we do not use it.... yet. That day, and P cards are coming. Right now I'm earning on borrowed time. For years now there's been too few of us that travel so we literally can't get anyone at Concur to bother setting us up. That's changing and along with hitting a snag in rev this first quarter, I'm expecting to hear from finance any day that they've made a bunch of worthless motions to save on expenditures, one of them will be rolling out Concur.

That sucks. While I like not having to float any of my expenses and not having to accept any risk (My corporate card is explicitly not tied to any credit reporting if they're late on a payment) I certainly wouldn't mind being able to put a couple thousand in spend every month on my own cards for the points. And all my travel is domestic Y tickets. If I was traveling international business class like yourself... drat that'd be a lot of points.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I honestly don't see what concur does, except tack on a charge to every booking. I still have to expense as if I'd bought directly from the airline, and so far it's always been the exact same price.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

I honestly don't see what concur does, except tack on a charge to every booking. I still have to expense as if I'd bought directly from the airline, and so far it's always been the exact same price.

It books costs directly into SAP and enables the company to get a massively fat reimbursement every year.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

That rebate is off the sticker price and Concur does not necessarily save a one dollar on travel at the end of the year. Concur has used disruption to sell something that claims to be easier all the while being an inflexible piece of poo poo that shifts the cost from the travel budget onto extra work for the traveler and their managers either by making a you a bureaucratic nanny to your direct reports or causing employees extra time in airports or driving across town to save maybe 0 or spend more at an approved hotel.

It's a product that makes money by telling you that it's needed. The costs aren't apparent because they're dispersed from travel budget itself and further they get to look good by cutting a check. I travel with people that use it. It makes them chose things that make no sense. But it bills directly to a cost center! So finance sings its praises for making their job easier.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 12, 2015

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
I know luggage chat has been done to death, but I'm taking more and more trips for work and pleasure, and my old $20 Ross "Special" that I use as carry-on is starting to die. Plus, it's just terrible. Flimsy handle, terrible wheels and a terrible zipper setup.

I'm debating what to get next, and I'd like to get something very solid for business trips that I don't need to replace. I'm hoping for a simple carry-on piece that would be durable, and easy to handle along with my briefcase for my work laptop and kindle.

At the moment, I'm looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Copilot-Luggage-Roller-2014/dp/B00HZ16WJU

Mostly because I'm a bit of a Timbuk2 loyalist, and the skateboard wheels sound really awesome for how easily they apparently roll.

I was curious though what you all would recommend and what your thoughts are on a bag like that? My trips are generally 3 to 4 days, and occasionally I need to bring a set of steel-toe boots and a suit with me to be able to go from factory floor to board room. Otherwise, I'm pretty minimalist.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Carrying bulky/dirty shoes in rugged environments? Pelicans carry on with toiletry compartment. Pelicans are bad rear end and beats timbuk2 when it comes to ruggedness. I think timbuk2 are more urban messenger focused.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_luggage/Case/BA22/

If you are only going for 3-4 days, I say just wear the suit in person and then stuff the boots into the carry-on. I myself would go wheel less and just use a duffel bag.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Utopian Mind posted:

I know luggage chat has been done to death, but I'm taking more and more trips for work and pleasure, and my old $20 Ross "Special" that I use as carry-on is starting to die. Plus, it's just terrible. Flimsy handle, terrible wheels and a terrible zipper setup.

I'm debating what to get next, and I'd like to get something very solid for business trips that I don't need to replace. I'm hoping for a simple carry-on piece that would be durable, and easy to handle along with my briefcase for my work laptop and kindle.

At the moment, I'm looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Copilot-Luggage-Roller-2014/dp/B00HZ16WJU

Mostly because I'm a bit of a Timbuk2 loyalist, and the skateboard wheels sound really awesome for how easily they apparently roll.

I was curious though what you all would recommend and what your thoughts are on a bag like that? My trips are generally 3 to 4 days, and occasionally I need to bring a set of steel-toe boots and a suit with me to be able to go from factory floor to board room. Otherwise, I'm pretty minimalist.

Look into B&R and see if that's a good fit for you. Their lifetime warranty means that you have a bag that you can get fixed/replaced as long as the company is around. The carry-on itself is well built with great wheels and everythign is set up perfectly. Its slightly more than what the Timbuk2 is but its built like a tank, attractive, and rolls really well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

AgrippaNothing posted:

That rebate is off the sticker price and Concur does not necessarily save a one dollar on travel at the end of the year. Concur has used disruption to sell something that claims to be easier all the while being an inflexible piece of poo poo that shifts the cost from the travel budget onto extra work for the traveler and their managers either by making a you a bureaucratic nanny to your direct reports or causing employees extra time in airports or driving across town to save maybe 0 or spend more at an approved hotel.

It's a product that makes money by telling you that it's needed. The costs aren't apparent because they're dispersed from travel budget itself and further they get to look good by cutting a check. I travel with people that use it. It makes them chose things that make no sense. But it bills directly to a cost center! So finance sings its praises for making their job easier.

The costs are lower, but only due to the aforementioned reimbursement at the end of a fiscal period. It puts services companies in an odd situation: they bill clients for expenses at cost, but then get a large rebate that usually isn't calculated on a per-ticket basis. It's de facto expense savings for the services company, but is almost impossible to accurately pass on to clients.

From the end users' perspective, Expedia, etc. look cheaper.

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
I know why this is but god is it annoying

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
Double post to actually add something productive.

I currently use a Timbuk2 Custom messenger bag as both my day to day laptop bag and my carry on bag. As I'm really loving Timbuk2 build quality, style and practicality I'm thinking of getting one of their Copilot rollers for carry on and one of their large Navigator duffel bags for extended trips - including a backpacker-ish trip around Asia this summer.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these bags? Particularly interested in how comfortable the shoulder straps are on the Navigator when it's in "backpack" mode.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

From the end users' perspective, Expedia, etc. look cheaper.
It obscures cost benefit analysis. The extra hour per day some times required because of inability to book something closer to where you are working is a choice no one would make to save 10 or 30 dollars a night at a hotel.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I vaguely remember hearing that the megacorp I work for has negotiated reduced prices for particularly heavy city pairs with our preferred airline. But they aren't actually loaded into the flight reservation system, so we pay the listed price at the time of booking, and it's reconciled at the end of the year.

It does mean that any contracts where actual travel costs are billed are kind of a sham, but no one seems to care too much.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

Shadowhand00 posted:

Look into B&R and see if that's a good fit for you. Their lifetime warranty means that you have a bag that you can get fixed/replaced as long as the company is around. The carry-on itself is well built with great wheels and everythign is set up perfectly. Its slightly more than what the Timbuk2 is but its built like a tank, attractive, and rolls really well.

I really like what I'm seeing with the B&R bag, but its a bit out of my current budget. Trying to stay south of $250; the Timbuk 2 is 144 on Amazon and the Red Oxx Air Boss is $244.

Anyone use an Air Boss for Business Travel?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Why would you buy a bag without wheels

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Exercise?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Exercise?

if you're so in to the concept of using your luggage to exercise you can just carry it most of the time

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's the hip thing to do! Who wants to drag a wheeled bag around the cobblestone streets of Europe?

Over here in reality, the most you carry your bag is in airports and hotel hallways. And wheels work great.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've dragged my cheap Air Canada branded bag through the mushy streets of Canada, it still works. gently caress carrying poo poo, my ancestors' ancestors' grandparents died inventing the wheel so I wouldn't have to carry my suitcase like a barbarian.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wheels are heavier, bulkier, and clunkier. They only work mostly in airports.

They are horrible going on cobble stones, dirt roads, stair. the handles/spine can snap, wheels are prone to extra damage.

Even when the suit case is functional they are pretty wieldy and people can easily roll over your foot, bang your knee or hit you. And they are noisy as gently caress.

The clam shell design makes it a lot harder to have side pockets and other compartments. So if you got a laptop or toiletry bag full of liquids it takes more time to grab everything out for security.

Wheels make one bag travel a lot more difficult. This is all more from a backpacker perspective which may or may not translate into a business environment.

caberham fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 13, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Red Oxx 4 lyfe.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wheeled luggage looks out of place on a dirigible.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Three times in a row now I've been reclined on at.the gate. At least wait.until everyone is done boarding and I don't have to squeeze out to let everyone in the row.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Snipeo posted:

I know why this is but god is it annoying

At least you're saving 20kg of CO2 by booking the flights on the same ticket.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AgrippaNothing posted:

Wheeled luggage looks out of place on a dirigible.

True, in the olden days they didn't have wheels or shoulder straps.

Just porters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

taco show posted:

Re: receipts and expenses. Well, it will depend on what software your company uses, but for me I use a phone scanner app to take pictures of every receipt (whether or not it falls below my company's 'no receipt needed' threshold) every night or immediately if I'm out somewhere not with clients. Otherwise you end up like The Risk- sitting around for five hours some evening scanning in $7k of receipts.

Also, some hotel chains can keep luggage for you over the weekend if you're going to be stationed in a city for a while. Or see if you can get a corporate apartment. My roommate who often has 3+ month contracts has done both.

There's some other generally helpful stuff around page 34. It starts here

100% travel is crazy to me. Stay in shape and don't be an rear end in a top hat!

Plus the part where your company penalizes you for the late expense report and charges you a late fee.

Apparently United will upgrade their food service in the smaller planes that fly international (CRJ 700s).

My flight attendant said that they can't give food anymore because United tried to squeeze a row of seats and had to take out the space for food and coat check in business class.

Hopefully No more snack boxes while flying business class to Mexico :)

gently caress ORD...gently caress people soft

The Risk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 18, 2015