Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You can press B to skip all the text instead of mashing A

You'd know this if you didn't mash A all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Internet Friend posted:

:siren: PSA: Go to options, set dialogue to instant. :siren:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you should do that even if you're not a text skipping monster

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

megalodong posted:

gee I wonder why.
You know what I mean :v: I gave it a shot, it didn't really catch me, and I ended up just wanting to pick up the conveniences that come with advancing the Caravan quests for co-op. I would've preferred that they gave you access to everything from the beginning and made progression based purely on hunts rather than storyline (the way they do with leveling up food). If I could've done the story at my own pace without having to worry about how my friends are requesting all these ingredients from the item multiplier, I probably would've been more receptive to it.

Internet Friend posted:

Touché

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The White Dragon posted:

You know what I mean :v: I gave it a shot, it didn't really catch me, and I ended up just wanting to pick up the conveniences that come with advancing the Caravan quests for co-op. I would've preferred that they gave you access to everything from the beginning and made progression based purely on hunts rather than storyline (the way they do with leveling up food). If I could've done the story at my own pace without having to worry about how my friends are requesting all these ingredients from the item multiplier, I probably would've been more receptive to it.

Touché

Everyone enjoys the story but you

This should probably tell you something

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The story sucked but I still read all the NPC dialog because individually they're great. I'm glad the survey split them out like that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The story is whatever but the cutscenes moving between towns and the intro FMV with the tigrex/gore magala are really good

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that cutscene where the caravan gets all packed up is the best

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh my yes. Wycoon has his poo poo sorted. :allears:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
gently caress it, I'm gonna go watch that cutscene again just because you reminded me.

It really is the best. :allears:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Haquer posted:

Everyone enjoys the story but you

This should probably tell you something

The story is trite garbage as it has always been, just this time it has even more padding than before to appease the people who needed it as some sort of justification to their murder spree.

The Man is the best NPC

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

If you're not sperging your way to g rank in 3 days after release the story is quite enjoyable.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the characters are cool and the story's fun enough. it's not like it matters super hard, but they actually do a really good job of getting you pumped to kill poo poo, especially in the last few 9* quests

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

megalodong posted:

If you're not sperging your way to g rank in 3 days after release the story is quite enjoyable.

Emalde posted:

The story is trite garbage as it has always been, just this time it has even more padding than before to appease the people who needed it as some sort of justification to their murder spree

heh

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Anyone have an idea of the loot tiers for Guild Quests? I assumed that apex/elder have the best relics for Lv.140, but it seems like Jho/Rajang are considered stronger than the other apexes, so maybe they don't quite get there.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Anyone have an idea of the loot tiers for Guild Quests? I assumed that apex/elder have the best relics for Lv.140, but it seems like Jho/Rajang are considered stronger than the other apexes, so maybe they don't quite get there.

Jho and Rajang will roll for the rarest loot the most often, but if you want to grind out something easier like Oroshi Kirin, at 140 you're still getting consistently decent rolls for better relic equipment. Anything not Apex or an Elder Dragon will have considerably worse returns though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I think I get the best stuff from djho. I've even gotten r10 weapons from one below level 130 before, although the best drop rate will need closer to 140. Also, the best quests will probably be Rajang or djho + a weaker monster.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
The story is simply there to give some structure to the hunting. The character dialogue on the other hand is brilliant and I wish there was a place in the menu where it was all collected so I could read it again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Teddles posted:

The story is simply there to give some structure to the hunting. The character dialogue on the other hand is brilliant and I wish there was a place in the menu where it was all collected so I could read it again.

I'd love this, enjoyed the dialog in every game, especially this one.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

There's a new version of Athena's rear end out but Minegarde is making GBS threads itself at the moment. Now uses the official translations.

edit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t9wjsqy1wuq2j60/Athena%27s+%2ASS+MH4G+1.00b.rar#39;s_ASS_MH4G_1.00b.rar

quote:

Hey all, time for a MASSIVE UPDATE.

I've just released a new version of the rear end - v1.00b. There's a lot of new stuff.

http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/7348-athenas-rear end-for-mh4g-and-mh4u/

For those of you who don't know, this program allows you to search for the skills you want, and it will tell you what armors you should wear to get those skills. You can customize it based on what charms you have, what excavated gear, how far through the game you are, or even which armors you think are too ugly-looking to ever use. It is completely free to download and use, but it is WIndows only and you will need WinRAR to unpack it.

New Features:
- Images for female armors! Right-click the armor of any solution and that armor mix will render to the screen so you can see what it looks like. (YES MALE IMAGES ARE COMING)
- Official English translations
- Updated both English and Japanese DLC armor etc.
- Added option to disable using your Excavated weapons
- Improved search speed
- Composite skills (e.g. Honed Blade) now disable their component skills

Bugfixes:
- Fixed Divine Whim/Spirit's Whim being swapped
- Fixed crash when searching with no headgear
- You can now enter your charms "backwards" and it will accept them
- Closing the Advanced Search window via Alt-F4 or the corner X button will now save the selected armors etc.
- Fixed some issues with custom charms being marked as red (suboptimal) by mistake. This only happened when adding new charms.
- Fixed right-clicking on extra skills in the solutions pane to show that skill tree
- Changing a selected skill to another skill in the same tree no longer resets advanced search options (e.g. Crit Eye +1 to Crit Eye +2)
- Fixed Excavated weapons not being saved/loaded correctly
- Fixed 2-slot charms not being used to nullify bad skills

Sorry I don't have male armor images yet. I'm still trying to speedrun through the game with a male character to unlock all the male armor pieces so I can screenshot them...

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

quote:

New Features:
- Images for female armors! Right-click the armor of any solution and that armor mix will render to the screen so you can see what it looks like. (YES MALE IMAGES ARE COMING)
YES

e:

quote:

Now uses the official translations.
This is also really good.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Capcom has put up a poll on MH4 that might help bring the game to Wii U.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MH4U

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Holy crap visited the dunes at night with Explorer and found the Melynxes doing a weird little pagan fire ritual in their camp. They weren't even interested in stealing from me, I hope they don't summon anything too terrifying. :ohdear:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The story was okay. The Dundorma part, less so. But I mean, I feel the same way about monsters as George Mallory did about mountains. I want to murder them because they're there for me to murder. Shagaru Magala didn't have to gently caress up the ecosystem for me to want to go stab him til he fell over. He just had to be a giant golden dragon that existed.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Mayheim posted:

I didn't read it that way at all, and I tend to read way too much into these surveys. Actually this one scared me because it made it seem like they're wondering if people want health bars for monsters and reduced numbers of weapons and armor skills.

I did basically demand cosmetic slots, though, and also Queropeco to return in MH5.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Emalde posted:

The story is trite garbage as it has always been

How so? The story seems to me like it's "we need to do X but there's a monster in the way, go do your job", which is about as normal as a story in Monster Hunter could get.

I still think that's probably better than no story, at least. We get nice cutscenes.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

I didn't read it that way at all, and I tend to read way too much into these surveys. Actually this one scared me because it made it seem like they're wondering if people want health bars for monsters and reduced numbers of weapons and armor skills.

I did basically demand cosmetic slots, though, and also Queropeco to return in MH5.

Hey it's better than nothing, right? :smithicide:

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

Holy crap visited the dunes at night with Explorer and found the Melynxes doing a weird little pagan fire ritual in their camp. They weren't even interested in stealing from me, I hope they don't summon anything too terrifying. :ohdear:

Had a full group matching in full Regios X dancing with them this afternoon. :3:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Here's the download link for rear end 1.00b:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t9wjsqy1wuq2j60/Athena%27s+%2ASS+MH4G+1.00b.rar#39;s_ASS_MH4G_1.00b.rar

Beware that the "What do the skills do" descriptions got all mixed up somehow. If you don't know what something does, look somewhere else.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Mayheim posted:

I commented that they should include more player interaction in MH5. For example, if two players use some item at the same time the item power triples. Or the head only breaks if all four players hit it at the same time. Anything that requires coordination.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lame Devil posted:

I commented that they should include more player interaction in MH5. For example, if two players use some item at the same time the item power triples. Or the head only breaks if all four players hit it at the same time. Anything that requires coordination.

I mentioned that I really liked launching/being launched by other players into mount attacks. Maybe MH5 should give some weapons "easy" launch moves - I think the Hammer would be a good fit.

Stick a "golf swing" (not the actual golf swing) on the Kick/Special button for Hammer that quickly launches teammates up into the air but does very little damage. It'd be rad!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lame Devil posted:

That sounds a bit too technical if it comes to breaking monsters. Maybe a damage bonus, sure, but putting item drops behind a wall that require absolute coordination (unless by "at the same time" you mean "within a certain timeframe from the first blow") from a team of four people that more often than not is random... I don't know. Item use would be cool but hard to time unless there was a form of dedicated communication (like most current things in MH I guess, but harder). The feature would be next to useless in lobbies of randoms.

Edit: Thinking harder on this, bonus loot or higher drop rates would be sweet for that kind of thing, though.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 12, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lame Devil posted:

Items shouldn't be used at the same time, because ideally you have some people fighting the monster and letting someone else heal. I guess maybe for things like Demondrug it would make more sense? I still wouldn't like it as a mechanic, though. And it's already hard enough to get breaks online. Unless they also add voice chat, making it require that much more coordination would be awful.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
I wanted to craft some Tigrex armor, so I accepted the quest (having already done it once before) and then started the quest. Then I realized i'd forgotten to bring slicing shots and abandoned the quest, bought some, and went back to accept the 5* frenzies tigrex quest again, but now it's no longer there. Any idea why this would happen?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Lame Devil posted:

I'm gonna be blunt here and just say this is a dumb idea, restricting drops behind ANOTHER level of conditions (you have to have everyone attack the head at the same time to break the head to get a 5% chance to get a ruby) is absurd, and especially if someone's using a particular weapon type (hammer, LS, SA) they wouldn't be able to do that without tripping the poo poo out of everyone else or literally sending everyone flying (this is why the head is hammer's ownage zone), which kinda defeat the purpose of having everyone pile up on the same part

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The Pony Incident posted:

I wanted to craft some Tigrex armor, so I accepted the quest (having already done it once before) and then started the quest. Then I realized i'd forgotten to bring slicing shots and abandoned the quest, bought some, and went back to accept the 5* frenzies tigrex quest again, but now it's no longer there. Any idea why this would happen?

Was it Advanced? Those things pop in and out between quests.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Yea I hear ya. I didn't really think about it too much, I would just like something to increase the teamwork skill ceiling.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Love finishing an Urgent three times with no deaths and then having everyone cart and quit five minutes into mine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lame Devil posted:

Yea I hear ya. I didn't really think about it too much, I would just like something to increase the teamwork skill ceiling.
There's a fine line between rewarding teamwork and punishing a lack of coordination. I think giving breaks only if people hit at the same time falls into the second category. Something like doubling KO values if the hits land within a second of each other is similar, but I think it falls into the first category. It's obviously beneficial if you can get it, but you aren't guaranteed missing out on stuff if your team can't pull it off.

I made a sleep sword primarily for sleep-bombing Teostra because of the four times I've done it (two HR, two GR) I think the horns have been broken once. They're a ~60% drop, and I need seven total horns. I may have had too strong of a reaction to the prospect of requiring more teamwork to get a head break. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zodack posted:

How so? The story seems to me like it's "we need to do X but there's a monster in the way, go do your job", which is about as normal as a story in Monster Hunter could get.

I still think that's probably better than no story, at least. We get nice cutscenes.

Deja Vu, I swear I remember being a topic of discussion when I checked the MH3U thread before getting distracted.

Anyway, just did Purse Snatcher at Caravan 7 and what in the hell was that giant T-Rex looking thing?

• Locked thread