Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I assume he means small companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I mean I imagine Deadzone does pretty well but it seems most smaller companies tap out their market during the kickstarter.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh hey Cheapass Games is kickstarting a new edition of Lord of the Fries.

e: and they're also planning a KS for a 20th anniversary edition of Kill Doctor Lucky.

Just want to add that they've been doing a succession of kickstarters over the past couple years, and they've been great with updates and launching each kickstarter only once the previous one was fulfilled. They aren't doing anything flashy or spectacular but it really feels like they've figured out how turn it into a solid business model.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know we might not have access to sales numbers but has there been any mini or board game kickstarter that has actually been successful post campaign?

Stonemeier Games have been doing quite well, as have Mantic. Zombicide sells all over. Eminent Domain started out on KS.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know we might not have access to sales numbers but has there been any mini or board game kickstarter that has actually been successful post campaign?

Dreadball has sold through several additional post-ks print runs, well above and beyond their pre-launch predictions.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Flash Point?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa/posts/1162289

quote:

This whole venture has been a learning experience.

With 14 hours and $7,000 left to go, I'm not disappointed that the goal looks unlikely-- in fact, I'm really proud of the progress made so far given the limitations under which I have struggled. Would I have liked to hit $20k? Yes. However, I'm armed with enough information to affect the big picture.

So, I'm calling off the campaign early. My deepest and sincerest apologies go out to everybody who has been looking forward to enjoying this game. This isn't entirely bad news, however.

Final Attack! will not die today. I'm going to spend the next few months putting together more complete prototypes, finishing the artwork on my own dime and time, and polishing up the content I initially left to stretch goals. With that will also come a real marketing campaign (that this attempt sorely lacked due to budget constraints). You will see Final Attack! again in the future. You will see it demoed at conventions, you will see it hit reviewers, and you will have the opportunity to back it again... probably with better rewards, too.

The game will also improve. More time means more content. I can increase the number of audio tracks, I can develop new Robeasts, and I can even possibly backport some planned expansion content. Your patience will be rewarded. Also, the Kickstarter and my progress on the game have both suffered due to my having to juggle both of them full-time, so tackling each one at a time would drastically improve the quality of both.

The demo will still be out there. Play it. Share it. It's mirrored on Boardgamegeek if something should happen to my site. I may even add demo content over time; it's not like I don't already have 13 other Robeasts, 3 K-Machines, 3 Limbs, and 10 audio tracks not included in it so far.

Thanks again, to everybody who believed in me, who backed me, who shared this, and who looked forward to this. This is my way of saying that your effort and trust is not wasted. And you know what? I'd rather have a campaign that blows the funding goal out of the water than one that looks uneasy with less than a day left, just so I'd have enough funds leftover to put out future games without having to ask so much from you.

Go play games and have fun. Watch and be Amazed at Gundam Build Fighters. Play Pictomania and lose your mind. Play Space Alert, it's the closest thing to Final Attack! that's out there! Throw metal folding chairs at people with Beowulf in Skullgirls Encore. There's a new Dominion expansion coming out soon and it looks amazing. And keep playing the Final Attack! demo, too. Games are meant to be played.

I'm off to redo things through. I have a plan. Please don't say, "Get more reviews," "Make a new video," "Make several finished copies of the game," "Take out ads," or any other obvious thing that I already said I'm doing. I'll be back to try again in a few months, hopefully.

I would be lying if I said I didn't find it annoying that I don't have enough money to ask for money.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Alas. Looking forward to the reboot though!
Good luck sir.

Hidden upside: I won't be waiting on three different board game KS haha.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think this was the right decision, BL. Better to blow through the goal rather than limp through it, to be honest.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

I think this was the right decision, BL. Better to blow through the goal rather than limp through it, to be honest.

Honestly, the concept that Indie Boards & Cards can make upwards of $100,000-200,000, sell their games at Target, get promotion from Wil Wheaton, and still have the audacity to come back and crowdfund new releases is as infuriating as it is confusing. The #1 reason I'd want to blow my goal out of the water is because I could make more than 1 game with that money.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Honestly, the concept that Indie Boards & Cards can make upwards of $100,000-200,000, sell their games at Target, get promotion from Wil Wheaton, and still have the audacity to come back and crowdfund new releases is as infuriating as it is confusing. The #1 reason I'd want to blow my goal out of the water is because I could make more than 1 game with that money.

And then they can't even print their loving cards the same color.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Better luck next time BL! I hope the next one does better for you, our playgroup was looking forward to Final Attack.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

I would be lying if I said I didn't find it annoying that I don't have enough money to ask for money.

Eh, this is how investment has worked since investment capital has been a thing. Look on the bright side: at least you don't have to drop a couple thou for invitation to brunch with a trust fundee who wants to see how pretty you can beg.

I do think that, more than hard cash upfront, you're gonna get the most mileage out of the upcoming lead time and man-hours. (Yeah, that's a resource with a dollar value, but at least it's one you can theoretically generate in the coming months.) Finishing the art at a loss is gonna hurt, but if you can even do a full-art of the current PNP, then dorks like me will have an easier time showing the game off at stores and local cons. I can get many, many more butts in seats with colorful pictures of robots than I can with mostly-white cards covered in text. "The first bite is with the eye" and all that.

(Also, if and when you do a proto for Rahdo, don't print the stupid $300 chip sheets. Artscow/Printerstudio the cards and board, and send a label sheet for the chips and keys. Rahdo is more than willing to substitute his own components.)

Godspeed BL. I'll keep doing what I can on the ground.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 11, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ask for money and you'll get advice, ask for advice and you'll get money. :goleft:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

BL, I don't want to kick you while you are down, but just wanted to comment on:

quote:

The game will also improve. More time means more content. I can increase the number of audio tracks, I can develop new Robeasts, and I can even possibly backport some planned expansion content. Your patience will be rewarded. Also, the Kickstarter and my progress on the game have both suffered due to my having to juggle both of them full-time, so tackling each one at a time would drastically improve the quality of both.

Perhaps you actually were working on the Kickstarter "full-time", but you would never in a million years know that by looking at the Kickstarter itself. If and when you launch again you really need to treat it seriously, and instead of posting on the forums about how you have all these things in motion to actually post it on Kickstarter to the people who are backing, and to the people who are considering backing. Although an "active" campaign doesn't necessarily mean the end product will go well, a well run campaign is at least a major attractive to potential backers.

Best of luck, and looking forward to attempt 2.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Any thoughts on the cryptozoic ghostbusters game? To buy or to avoid?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

rear end Catchcum posted:

Cryptozoic. avoid.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: HEX owns and Epic Duels of the Spellwizards is fantastic, also they rescued the doom that came to atlantic city from KS hell, on their own dime, cryptozowns

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Counterpoint taken. As a consumer, though, you'll save a ton of money and get your game earlier if you just wait till it hits retail.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I like the stupid cryptozoic deck building games because it is random but I still have strategy when building each time.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fallorn posted:

I like the stupid cryptozoic deck building games because it is random but I still have strategy when building each time.

Also their rules are pretty clear and they have strong visual design on their game bits/cards in my experience. at least compared to Dominion and that Marvel deck building game (not high bars, granted)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I'm on your side and as a rule will not find those sort of games.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

DC Deckbuilder 1.0 is actually a reasonably interesting game that a few players here got good use out of (to be fair, largely they liked it because of the theme and how they could play 3 rounds, including setup, in a lunch hour). Perhaps that's faint praise, but viewed historically that's pretty good for a licensed game. The expansions (and Street Fighter) are all kind of a mess (according to the people who played a lot of base DC, I didn't play much of any of them). None of us liked Penny Arcade; it had a poorly done double resource system, lots of game ruining cards (eg. Bat-Milk, which in practice felt like "Laboratory + Half a Chapel" for 3, and which I think the designer later wanted to take back), and generally too many very easy decisions. Epic Spellz is not something I'd want to play often, but it basically works fine and has some stuff that is properly categorized under "fun" (goofy illustrations and funny names and what not).

Cryptozoic doesn't normally make actual turds, and I don't go out of my way to avoid them. They just tend to err on the side of unambitious and light.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I enjoyed Hot Rod Creeps was actually a pretty fun game and I have been getting a lot of play time out of it. This went against all my expectations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Any thoughts on the cryptozoic ghostbusters game? To buy or to avoid?

If you think you might pick it up at some point I'd back it now. They've repeatedly said that none of the stretch goals will will be available after the kickstarter (Whether or not you believe them is another thing.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think out of all of the deckbuilders I tried, the DC Deckbuilding one was the worst one I tried. It's basically Ascension, but worse, and managed to pile even more mistakes on top of the mistakes made by Ascension (for a start, having VPs on every card, making the cards with higher VPs being also mechanically better). I felt I had a modicum of control when I played Ascension and even though it wasn't my favourite game ever, I can see why people like it. In DC Deckbuilder, I felt like I had no choices: there was a point in which there were no cards on the market that I wanted, but I didn't have enough resources to get what I wanted and if I didn't buy anything, I would fall behind the VP curve anyway, so the choice was either to fill my deck with chaff or fall behind the VP curve. At the same time, the person that was able to gain the powerful supervillain cards was constantly going ahead of the curve because he both got loads of VPs and was getting powerful cards at the same time.

On the other hand, I like Legendary Encounters, but mostly because it's a full co-op game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I think out of all of the deckbuilders I tried, the DC Deckbuilding one was the worst one I tried. It's basically Ascension, but worse, and managed to pile even more mistakes on top of the mistakes made by Ascension (for a start, having VPs on every card, making the cards with higher VPs being also mechanically better). I felt I had a modicum of control when I played Ascension and even though it wasn't my favourite game ever, I can see why people like it. In DC Deckbuilder, I felt like I had no choices: there was a point in which there were no cards on the market that I wanted, but I didn't have enough resources to get what I wanted and if I didn't buy anything, I would fall behind the VP curve anyway, so the choice was either to fill my deck with chaff or fall behind the VP curve. At the same time, the person that was able to gain the powerful supervillain cards was constantly going ahead of the curve because he both got loads of VPs and was getting powerful cards at the same time.

On the other hand, I like Legendary Encounters, but mostly because it's a full co-op game.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment of DC Deckbuilder wholeheartedly, although I think I probably like Ascension quite a bit more than you. I've played a bunch of deckbuilders. DC Deckbuilder is handily the worst experience I've had in the genre, and it accompanies all that bad design with no real selling points other than the pasted-on license. If you want a superhero deckbuilder, Legendary exists and is a better game on nearly every level (even though it still doesn't do an amazing job of being a superhero game, imho). I think there are others, too, though I can't comment on them. If you want a market row deckbuilder, Ascension is better in pretty much every way also. If you just want a good deckbuilder, well, Dominion, right?

But I do think Cryptozoic has shown themselves capable of good work, like with Hex. I'm not backing Ghostbusters because I'm pretty much full up on super-expensive exclusive-ridden miniatures-driven Kickstarter projects already.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Everything you need to know about DC Deckbuilding Game is right there in the title of the game. It's an unbalanced, unplaytested cash grab that largely copies whatever the most popular recent game was that the designers could see, and it's not worth playing at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've never played it so I can't comment on the gameplay, but how do you come to the conclusion that naming your game the name of its genre unironically is a good and cool thing to do? It'd be like calling Race for the Galaxy "Space Role Game" or Caverna "Dwarf Worker Placement Game."

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Countblanc posted:

I've never played it so I can't comment on the gameplay, but how do you come to the conclusion that naming your game the name of its genre unironically is a good and cool thing to do? It'd be like calling Race for the Galaxy "Space Role Game" or Caverna "Dwarf Worker Placement Game."

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148099/worker-placement

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Countblanc posted:

I'm actually completely in favor of it. I just wish DC Deck Building Game had come in a white box with blue accents

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm actually completely in favor of it. I just wish DC Deck Building Game had come in a white box with blue accents

Well, I mean, technically... it is!

Though I have a feeling THAT'S THE JOKE here... :downs:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Countblanc posted:

Hey, it was new and untested ground for game name schemes...

...in the late seventies/early eighties.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Tekopo posted:

The co-op version, if you can believe it, is even worse. You don't get to keep the villians, so you spend resources without getting benefits. There are crisis cards which have to be beat in order to progress. Each requires no villians to be in play (so beat them and then watch more come out) and have some condition all players have to do. But the condition is usually like 'Each player must destory an equipment from hand' or 'Each player destroys the top card of their deck and if they all have different costs you succeed'. Things you can't control. We spent around 6 turns on one card because it required everyone have a defense card in hand and I had 1 in my deck. We only succeed because I could buy cards out of the trash, because good luck getting that card to appear in the market. Your stuck buying cards because so many get destroyed but then you're required to be able to consistently produce certain cards to progress.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Raging Heroes just sent out an update that their Toughest Girls of The Galaxy 2 Kickstarter will start on 25th March. They're going to be offering 6 different armies (3 fantasy, 3 sci-fi) and the kickstarter is only going to run for 2 weeks :eng99:

I don't know why people think they can capture the fervour of the first and last weeks of a 4 week project without the lull in the middle by cutting it down to 2 weeks. It doesn't give people enough time to truly get hyped and makes it harder for people to make large pledges as there's less time to wait for paychecks to come in and things like that. Especially with something like this where I have no doubt people will be pledging for more than one army (iirc, one of each model from one of the armies in the first kickstarter would have run you about $400) I really think they're going to end up selling themselves short and pick up fewer pledges than they would have had they comitted to a 4 week project.

But then they also said they've just spent $11,000 out of their own pockets to send the 'freebie' minis from the first project to all the backers who are still waiting for their orders (they are still in the process of manufacturing the 'third wave' of minis which includes the vehicles and some of the later stretch goal minis; this is expected to wrap up in the next month and they're projecting that all orders will be shipped by the middle of the year at the latest) so that people don't get lovely about the fact that they've been waiting 2 years for the minis from the first KS while the second KS is starting, so who knows what their business strategy is :shrug:

That being said I'll probably still pledge way too much for these terrible cheesecake minis and will undoubtedly kick in more when the pledge manager comes along in a year's time
:negative:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'll probably get the not-cheesecake ones for Sisters of Sigmar but goddamn: this is possibly the worst time to release the armies they're releasing. I can't say for Dark Eldar, but Sisters of Battle barely have a codex, and Warhammer Fantasy is imploding. And if you didn't already have a Dark Elf army, you could get one from any of the rats fleeing the ship concerned players dumping their forces on eBay and Craigslist right now. And if you do have a Dark Elf army, the last thing you're looking for is a way to invest more money into it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yeah same. I don't care much for the dark elves, but I'm hoping the Sisters of Battle-alikes will be nice.

Also they seem to be handling the delays in the first one in first class manner. I didn't pay for wave shipping but they decided to send everything they had on-hand recently anyway. I was kind of reserved to having to wait till late in the year to get my stuff but hey, not arguing if they want to ship me stuff earlier.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I think they've been great with their communication throughout the project and I don't mind that they still haven't finished all the manufacturing / shipping given how much the original TGG project expanded in scope from a small handful of heroine minis to three full armies. I'm looking forward to getting my minis whenever they turn up and hearing that we'll be getting the freebies early is cool but just seems like a strange business decision to burn more than $10k on shipping but then run a 2 week KS because they 'need to to keep Raging Heroes operating' (paraphrased from the most recent update).

I'm hoping the sci-fi armies look good because I'm a sucker for that aesthetic and even if they don't make good counts-as for 40k they'll be a fun painting project two years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The email did kind of rollercoaster me, since it started out "we're giving you all* stuff!" and then finished by narrowly defining "you all" to a very specific group that does not include me.

• Locked thread