Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

De Nomolos posted:

I left the same year as Jeb and I always thought Crist supported it and Scott repealed it. I thought it was sort of a nice idea back then, at least through the I-4 corridor.

Come now, this is Florida, friend. Back in 98 or 2000 or so we passed a constitutional amendment to get high speed rail in Florida. There was to be a line linking Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville with eventual links to St. Petersburg and Tallahassee. A majority of the state had spoken. However Jeb and other Republicans utterly hated this idea. Spend money on MY STATE? gently caress You! I believe this is around when a class size limitation amendment was also passed, which similarly had their panties all up in a bunch.

The very next election they got an amendment on the ballot that would repeal the high speed rail, because Oh Lawdy that's too expensive! It passed thanks to Jeb and his crew's agitation. It passed and Florida once again had no high speed rail. The amendment to repeal the class size amendment however failed by some magical means. Shortly afterward we passed an amendment that required all future amendments to pass by at least 60%, making such tactics much harder.

Later under Charlie Crist the state got a grant to once again build the high speed railway. Of course since this was dirty, filthy Obama money Rick Scott shitcanned the idea as one of his first acts as Governor. Because he didn't know how, but it was definitely going to cost the State.

So Florida had High Speed Rail despite the wishes of Bush, then lost High Speed Rail because of the machinations of Bush, then had High Speed Rail because Charlie Crist wasn't a complete loving idiot, then lost it again because Rick Scott is a complete loving idiot.

Florida!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Last week I opined that the story had legs and would become A Thing. The suggestion caused several here to start foaming at the mouth at the naivete of such a statement, but here we are, firmly in Week 3 of daily news coverage and questions regarding Clinton's judgment from across the political spectrum.

Had it happened 16 months from now you might have had a point too. Remember how the shutdown had weeks of coverage and Republicans tanked in the polls... then won the 2014 elections?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Last week I opined that the story had legs and would become A Thing. The suggestion caused several here to start foaming at the mouth at the naivete of such a statement, but here we are, firmly in Week 3 of daily news coverage and questions regarding Clinton's judgment from across the political spectrum.

I don't think anyone thought the story wouldn't have legs, it does. But by the time the primaries begin it will all be forgotten. With that said, I've been wrong before, but I'd be shocked if this story is still going on a month or two from now.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Akileese posted:

I don't think anyone thought the story wouldn't have legs, it does. But by the time the primaries begin it will all be forgotten. With that said, I've been wrong before, but I'd be shocked if this story is still going on a month or two from now.

The story will die down, sure, but all it'll take is a well-placed campaign ad during general election season to bring the issue roaring back into the spotlight. And as we've seen, Hillary doesn't seem to have much of a defense here.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

DaveWoo posted:

The story will die down, sure, but all it'll take is a well-placed campaign ad during general election season to bring the issue roaring back into the spotlight. And as we've seen, Hillary doesn't seem to have much of a defense here.

Nobody will care then. Real campaign issues will be there and probably more timely scandals and -gates.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DaveWoo posted:

If this was true Romney would've crossed the finish line as a battered corpse.

Edit: More of one, I mean.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No, the general public will definitely obsess over how someone had their email configured half a decade prior to the election.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It'll probably get brought up in a campaign ad as part of a montage of reasons why Hilary is an Evil Orwellian Bureaucrat, as opposed to Scott Walker (or whoever), Man of the People, but undecided voters won't give a poo poo.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Undecided voters are goddamn morons anyway who always vote Republican so who gives a poo poo. Mobilizing your own voters is what wins elections.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Eh, didn't last-minute undecided voters break pretty hard for Obama in 2012?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Eh, didn't last-minute undecided voters break pretty hard for Obama in 2012?

Obama won the 9% who say they decided in the last few days 50-44 (+6), compared to winning other voters 51-47 (+4).
He won the 21% who say they decided October or later 50-46 (+4), compared to 52-47 (+5) for those who say they decided before.

Now the problem is we know there weren't 9% or 21% undecided voters on November 1st and October 1st, so ~who knows~ what those numbers really mean.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 11, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'll never forget watching the "Please proceed, governor" debate and telling my fiancee "He just won the election right there".

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'll never forget watching the "Please proceed, governor" debate and telling my fiancee "He just won the election right there".

I think the election was over at "Oh now you're Jack Kennedy."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

agent_wildflower posted:

I think the election was over at "Oh now you're Jack Kennedy."
At no point has a VP debate ever come close to effecting a presidential election outcome.

And that one's just calling back an even sicker burn which should only prove my first point.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Gyges posted:

Come now, this is Florida, friend. Back in 98 or 2000 or so we passed a constitutional amendment to get high speed rail in Florida. There was to be a line linking Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville with eventual links to St. Petersburg and Tallahassee. A majority of the state had spoken. However Jeb and other Republicans utterly hated this idea. Spend money on MY STATE? gently caress You! I believe this is around when a class size limitation amendment was also passed, which similarly had their panties all up in a bunch.

The very next election they got an amendment on the ballot that would repeal the high speed rail, because Oh Lawdy that's too expensive! It passed thanks to Jeb and his crew's agitation. It passed and Florida once again had no high speed rail. The amendment to repeal the class size amendment however failed by some magical means. Shortly afterward we passed an amendment that required all future amendments to pass by at least 60%, making such tactics much harder.

Later under Charlie Crist the state got a grant to once again build the high speed railway. Of course since this was dirty, filthy Obama money Rick Scott shitcanned the idea as one of his first acts as Governor. Because he didn't know how, but it was definitely going to cost the State.

So Florida had High Speed Rail despite the wishes of Bush, then lost High Speed Rail because of the machinations of Bush, then had High Speed Rail because Charlie Crist wasn't a complete loving idiot, then lost it again because Rick Scott is a complete loving idiot.

Florida!

Hey theres some good news. A private company is going to be running a HSR line from Miami to Orlando! And with NO government funding! Which just says how profitable its expected to be more than anything else. Though All Aboard Florida has the right of way only to Cocoa so far they are already building tracks, stations, and overpasses and are aiming to start early next year.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DaveWoo posted:

If emails are the attack ad choice of the Republican Candidate, Hillary is going to be carried into the White House by adoring throngs. Benghazi at least was attention grabbing and easily spinable. Getting anyone but wonks and the Beltway to care about the differences between @clinton and @gov emails is beyond Sisyphean.

Communist Zombie posted:

Hey theres some good news. A private company is going to be running a HSR line from Miami to Orlando! And with NO government funding! Which just says how profitable its expected to be more than anything else. Though All Aboard Florida has the right of way only to Cocoa so far they are already building tracks, stations, and overpasses and are aiming to start early next year.

Weren't they the group Rick Scott corralled together after enough people asked him what the gently caress he was doing turning down free billions?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lindsey Graham: the only candidate that's honest about his intentions to stage a military coup.

Lindsey Graham posted:

And here's the first thing I would do if I were president of the United States. I wouldn't let Congress leave town until we fix this. I would literally use the military to keep them in if I had to. We're not leaving town until we restore these defense cuts. We are not leaving town until we restore the intel cuts.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 12, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

How long will it take before Perry, to show his true Conservative Principals (tm), attacks Jeb for being Governor of Florida instead of The True Bastion of Conservative, Texas?

Edit: Isn't Graham a senior Senator that holds sway over the rest of the Republicans? Can't he do this himself?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

No, Senator Graham does not currently hold the power to command the military to force Congress to stay in session until they pass his preferred pieces of legislation.

President Graham, on the other hand... :unsmigghh:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

edit woops read that wrong

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

At no point has a VP debate ever come close to effecting a presidential election outcome.

And that one's just calling back an even sicker burn which should only prove my first point.

Hnn. I'd say the '12 Veep debate helped a non-trivial amount, if only because of its context in the greater campaign.

Obama uncharacteristically drops the ball in the first presidential debate and the Romney campaign finally gets a little bit of momentum. Everybody in the media or following the media loudly proclaims that this momentum will be furthered when sexy shark-man Paul Ryan eats uncle joe on national television. The opposite happens, and much of that fleeting momentum is lost.

'04 was ~somewhat similar to this, where Edwards failed to hold his own on-stage with Cheney.

When you use a sexy young Idea Man veep nominee to try and excite people about the boring safe-choice candidate at the top of the ticket, it is a setback when that veep candidate is publicly eviscerated.

Obama would in all likelihood have won without Biden (given Hurricane Sandy, crushing Romney in the other two debates, and generally being a whole lot more likable than the opposition) but Biden certainly helped the margins a bit, just in terms of changing the media narrative and muffling the "Ah yes, but THESE republicans have IDEAS!" notion that had been trending.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 12, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chadderbox posted:

Had it happened 16 months from now you might have had a point too. Remember how the shutdown had weeks of coverage and Republicans tanked in the polls... then won the 2014 elections?

You mean the ones that were already heavily slanted red to begin with and had democrats put up the weakest milquetoast dorks who ran away from a president who got uninsured people insurance for the first time in like ever? Sure do!

I mean snark aside, gains were kind of locked in already. The reason it went worse than expected wasn't because everyone forgot about the shutdown, it was because the people voting in the areas Republicans won didn't care. It doesn't help that the democrats completely screwed the pooch after the GOP handed them a giant stick to beat them with. If you're going to lose, lose supporting your guy. Blathering around in the middle just makes you look like an idiot to everyone Grimes.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I loathe Biden but the Biden / Ryan debate was pretty classic. Not sure how big of an effect it had but it definitely made Ryan look silly.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary made an awful Forrest Gump parody video for the Gridiron Dinner twenty years ago. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68qJN9MwDfY

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Hillary made an awful Forrest Gump parody video for the Gridiron Dinner twenty years ago. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68qJN9MwDfY
I cut my political teeth on Bill and Hillary and I've watched/read countless documentaries and books on the inner workings and the thing I always come away with is that Bill is, in his own weird way, the most supportive husband ever. He's like the dad with the kid that isn't really good at baseball who makes it a point to run out and yell at the coach for playing his son wrong or something. He must spend half his time groaning at how tone-deaf Hillary is with the theater/retail side of politics. Even if you go back to "I'm not sitting here some little woman standing by my man like Tammy Wynette..." I swear you can see him flinch. God knows how far it goes back prior. She might be a great President and we surely shouldn't judge our Presidents on this stupid theater poo poo like we do, but man she is just so Goddamn awkward and clearly can't get past it.

I wonder if Truman would seem engaging today, or cold and off-putting. He's like every President's favorite modern President. Aw shucks factor off the scales, but I've no clear idea what he'd look like with today's media on his rear end.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 12, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The fact that Hillary Clinton's staff decided which emails were personal and which were state, and we have to trust their word, will follow Clinton to the end of her campaign whether the wins or loses, and good. gently caress that noise.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I work in IT and I don't believe for a second that there weren't numerous officials telling her how stupid it was to not use state department email for official business, while she was working off a homebrew server. Makes you question her judgement.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PupsOfWar posted:

Obama uncharacteristically drops the ball in the first presidential debate and the Romney campaign finally gets a little bit of momentum. Everybody in the media or following the media loudly proclaims that this momentum will be furthered when sexy shark-man Paul Ryan eats uncle joe on national television. The opposite happens, and much of that fleeting momentum is lost.

Not quite. As much as D&D reflects fondly on that debate as some slam on Ryan, I seem to recall that snap polls right after the veep debate were evenly split on the winner, if not giving Ryan a slight edge.

FAKE EDIT: Yup.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TEAYCHES posted:

I work in IT and I don't believe for a second that there weren't numerous officials telling her how stupid it was to not use state department email for official business, while she was working off a homebrew server. Makes you question her judgement.

I work in IT. I do.

There are two types of network guys: the ones that care so much they keep you from doing anything, and the ones you have to physically track down just to get anything done. I can guess which kind Hillary would work with the most.

All of this assumes anyone gives a poo poo, which they don't.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

I work in IT. I do.

There are two types of network guys: the ones that care so much they keep you from doing anything, and the ones you have to physically track down just to get anything done. I can guess which kind Hillary would work with the most.

All of this assumes anyone gives a poo poo, which they don't.

Clinton interacted with a lot of people in government through email. It wouldn't have been a secret that she was using a personal domain. Her staff would have come to blows with the security dudes who give a poo poo, unless they said nothing Because Clinton.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh jesus christ Lindsey Graham.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

Clinton interacted with a lot of people in government through email. It wouldn't have been a secret that she was using a personal domain. Her staff would have come to blows with the security dudes who give a poo poo, unless they said nothing Because Clinton.

quote:

State Department technology experts expressed security concerns that then–Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was using a private email service rather than the government’s fortified and monitored system, but those fears fell on deaf ears, a current employee on the department’s cybersecurity team told Al Jazeera America on Tuesday.

The employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of losing his job, said it was well known that Clinton’s emails were at greater risk of being hacked, intercepted or monitored, but the warnings were ignored.

“We tried,” the employee said. “We told people in her office that it wasn’t a good idea. They were so uninterested that I doubt the secretary was ever informed.”

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/3/govt-cybersecurity-source-clintons-office-warned-private-email-use.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In fairness, "Nobody listens to me!" is the easiest possible quote to get from an IT worker.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

TEAYCHES posted:

Yeah in an enterprise sized IT organization (federal government), I can't imagine her not getting warned repeatedly for using a personal account.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

In any case, the point stands that Hillary Clinton's staff sorting through her emails on her homebrew server deciding which ones are worthy of being submitted as state communications is over the top unethical and stupid.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Yeah in an enterprise sized IT organization (federal government), I can't imagine her not getting warned repeatedly for using a personal account.

People cover their asses. There were warnings sent in writing, expressed disagreements from those who objected, and there's probably no good way to enforce it against the Secretary of State if you aren't willing to risk your job. Either way it's wrong.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

No one cares about the email outside of the pundits. If you're someone who cares about the emails, then you're someone who already doesn't like Hillary from the seventy million little (and big) things that she's been slapped with in the last twenty-five years she's spent in national politics. It has zero traction, it's exceptionally minor on the scandal front and it can't be pressed by actual GOP candidates because it will make their own party look like complete morons for having missed it for so long.

The Venn diagram of "People who care about Hillary's emails" and "People who had any chance to vote for Hillary in the first place" have no overlap.

Apparently the Venn diagram between people who would consider voting for Hilary and people who think this is pretty suspect and worth discussing has no overlap. The idea that an elected official could do this and then go 'welp, phones are hard, whatja gonna do?' and get vehemently defended in such absolutist terms boggles my mind.

I would prefer that elected officials use the proper channels for their official communications. This is like corporate world 1st day mandatory training stuff. It looks shady as hell and I wouldn't be happy with someone like Cheney self-censoring what he thought should be turned over after getting asked, no matter how technologically inept he claims to be.

Also, noted Fox-affliated rag 'The AP' is getting in on the action: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/11/ap-files-lawsuit-to-force-clinton-email-release/70151508/

quote:

The Associated Press said Wednesday it has sued the State Department to force the release of government documents and e-mails from Hillary Rodham Clinton's tenure as secretary of State, an action taken a day after she defended her use of a private e-mail account to conduct business and after six formal attempts by the news agency to obtain records.

"After careful deliberation and exhausting our other options, The Associated Press is taking the necessary legal steps to gain access to these important documents, which will shed light on actions by the State Department and former Secretary Clinton, a presumptive 2016 presidential candidate, during some of the most significant issues of our time," AP General Counsel Karen Kaiser said in a statement.

"The press is a proxy for the people, and AP will continue its pursuit of vital information that's in the public interest through this action and future open records requests," Kaiser said.

On the upside, if this results in all these emails getting released there is guaranteed to be thousands of awesome :byodame:-worthy moments buried in there just waiting for Fox et al to dig up.

EDIT:

TEAYCHES posted:

In any case, the point stands that Hillary Clinton's staff sorting through her emails on her homebrew server deciding which ones are worthy of being submitted as state communications is over the top unethical and stupid.

Amen.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

Apparently the Venn diagram between people who would consider voting for Hilary and people who think this is pretty suspect and worth discussing has no overlap. The idea that an elected official could do this and then go 'welp, phones are hard, whatja gonna do?' and get vehemently defended in such absolutist terms boggles my mind.

I would prefer that elected officials use the proper channels for their official communications. This is like corporate world 1st day mandatory training stuff. It looks shady as hell and I wouldn't be happy with someone like Cheney self-censoring what he thought should be turned over after getting asked, no matter how technologically inept he claims to be.

Also, noted Fox-affliated rag 'The AP' is getting in on the action: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/11/ap-files-lawsuit-to-force-clinton-email-release/70151508/

On the upside, if this results in all these emails getting released there is guaranteed to be thousands of awesome :byodame:-worthy moments buried in there just waiting for Fox et al to dig up.

EDIT:

Amen.

Just to pick out the most important point here in partisan politics, if someone like Cheney had attempted to conduct all state email business on a homebrew server and Cheney's staff decided what to release - does it even have to be extrapolated further?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

PupsOfWar posted:

Hnn. I'd say the '12 Veep debate helped a non-trivial amount, if only because of its context in the greater campaign.

'04 was ~somewhat similar to this, where Edwards failed to hold his own on-stage with Cheney.

When you use a sexy young Idea Man veep nominee to try and excite people about the boring safe-choice candidate at the top of the ticket, it is a setback when that veep candidate is publicly eviscerated.

Obama would in all likelihood have won without Biden (given Hurricane Sandy, crushing Romney in the other two debates, and generally being a whole lot more likable than the opposition) but Biden certainly helped the margins a bit, just in terms of changing the media narrative and muffling the "Ah yes, but THESE republicans have IDEAS!" notion that had been trending.

I gotta quote this and back it up; this is definitely the way I remember the story playing out. That first Obama debate was like the first breath of air the R/R campaign got, and Diamond Fuckin Joe just slam dunked a mother fucker, like in front of his mom and everyone. The Vice-Presidency may not be worth a warm bucket of spit, but Vice-Presidential debates have produced some pretty impressive political theater that I don't think we can write off as totally ineffective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TEAYCHES posted:

Just to pick out the most important point here in partisan politics, if someone like Cheney had attempted to conduct all state email business on a homebrew server and Cheney's staff decided what to release - does it even have to be extrapolated further?

Well when Chaney did it, it was a minor kerfuffle that didn't go anywhere because he started claiming the VP was neither part of the executive nor part of the legislative branch.

God those were the days.

• Locked thread