Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

Its a very well known insult against asians in Australia tho, but other than that? And we're so loving closet racist it would have made more people laugh than get insulted anyway- we're the country who just had our Prime Minister tell the indigenous population that living on their land and living their culture was a "Lifestyle choice" afterall.

There are many things in the closet in Australia (usually trying to kill you), but racism is not one of them, in a lot of cases it's out and proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have to ask why his comments weren't edited out in the first place. It's not like the show is broadcast live. SOMEBODY at the BBC should have the authority to fix poo poo like this.
Which comments?

The 'slope' one? Probably because the BBC is staffed by people who, like nearly all of the UK, have never heard if the word as being used as a slur.

The 'eeney meany' one? He had that removed during the edit himself as he was unhappy that the offensive word was audible.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bigsteve posted:

Clarkson and Wilman have been friends for years. This will just end up being them having a barney that some newbie assistant then reported. Wilman will say nothing happened cause he knows hes on to a good thing and everything will go back to normal.

It wasn't Wilson, it was another, more junior producer. And it's not going to be all right. Is it OK in your work place for your boss to have a strop and punch you? Because that's not OK anywhere I've ever worked, and there is absolutely not excuse for a superior to physically attack one of their staff in this day and age.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

drgitlin posted:

It wasn't Wilson, it was another, more junior producer. And it's not going to be all right. Is it OK in your work place for your boss to have a strop and punch you? Because that's not OK anywhere I've ever worked, and there is absolutely not excuse for a superior to physically attack one of their staff in this day and age.

Life sucks. Get a loving helmet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the biggest injustice was that some Indian actress sued the BBC over the slope thing. She's not even the right kind of asian, what right does she have to sue?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Ludicro posted:

Whilst I normally hate to stereotype, in my experience these types of people are almost always Londoners with little or no experience outside of London and think that everywhere else is a congested smog filled hell hole that you don't actually need a car to get by in. These are often the same people who parrot about dropping the motorway speed limit to 50mph for safety reasons (despite motorways being the safest roads in the country) and have often never driven on a motorway, or indeed never driven at all.

It's worryingly true. The concept of having different cars for different purposes is completely alien. It was seriously suggested to me this weekend that the government should keep increasing fuel duty to get vehicles off the road and instead have an infrastructure of free buses for people to get around on.

The fact that near me there are places with perhaps two buses a week seemed not to matter.

The bbc spends a ridiculously disproportionate amount on the guardian and it reflects in its productions.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

drgitlin posted:

I'd frankly rather have one of my bosses punch me rather than have had them do some of the lovely as gently caress things they've done to me in the past, if it will mean they'll be less lovely in other ways.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spog posted:

Which comments?

The 'slope' one? Probably because the BBC is staffed by people who, like nearly all of the UK, have never heard if the word as being used as a slur.

The 'eeney meany' one? He had that removed during the edit himself as he was unhappy that the offensive word was audible.

How about the Mexican thing?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo85xMi8imY

That smile before he closes the door made me lose it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ferremit posted:

Its a very well known insult against asians in Australia tho, but other than that? And we're so loving closet racist it would have made more people laugh than get insulted anyway- we're the country who just had our Prime Minister tell the indigenous population that living on their land and living their culture was a "Lifestyle choice" afterall.

I grew up and live in a very racist part of Brisbane (like bash muslims vandalise mosques cause Isis area) and I'd never heard anyone call anyone a slope until the Clarkson thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'd frankly rather have one of my bosses punch me rather than have had them do some of the lovely as gently caress things they've done to me in the past, if it will mean they'll be less lovely in other ways.

I see. Is there a line? Like, if you're late for work two days running a punch in the face is OK, but if it's more serious then maybe they cut off a finger? How about burning? Or just things that don't leave a mark? Is it only straight-up physical violence, or can the odd rape or two be used to discipline staff?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Alertrelic posted:

and then there was that time he said striking workers should be shot in front of their families

That one was pretty obviously Clarkson taking the piss and saying the kind of controversial poo poo he loves.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Zeether posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo85xMi8imY

That smile before he closes the door made me lose it.

I don't get it, what part of that is 'strong language'?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Stutes posted:

I don't get it, what part of that is 'strong language'?
Think about the kind of hypersensitive crybabies we've been discussing for the last couple of pages. He said "knob", which probably would set off at least a couple of dozen of them in a spate of twitter rage.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Colonel K posted:

It's worryingly true. The concept of having different cars for different purposes is completely alien. It was seriously suggested to me this weekend that the government should keep increasing fuel duty to get vehicles off the road and instead have an infrastructure of free buses for people to get around on.

The fact that near me there are places with perhaps two buses a week seemed not to matter.

The bbc spends a ridiculously disproportionate amount on the guardian and it reflects in its productions.

Indeed, and what is even more mind boggling is the amount of people crying out that Top Gear should be an educational and informative show about cars normal every day people drive. Have these people not heard of the Internet? Do they not realise that no one is going to wait for a car to appear on a motoring show for them to find stuff out about it when there is a wealth of information at their finger tips and can be accessed nearly instantaneously? Some of the comments make me laugh/shake my head.

quote:

The next issues with cars, separate from their endless desire for fossil fuels, are their endless desire for space and their tendency to want to kill pedestrians. It's no use us moving over to electric cars if we ignore the essential point that car usage - whatever the mechanism for creating locomotion - needs to decrease. Electric cars are not the answer to the basic problem: there are too many cars, and they push out other users of public space.

quote:

Who the hell wants to carry on watching that group of idiots? Only other idiots.
Time they all went. I'm sure they, and specifically Clarkson, are indirectly responsible for thousands of horrendous accidents.

quote:

How about no more Top Gear, lets promote a world without cars, or the selfishness of cars, one where public transport worked and cyclists weren't maligned by motorists or Jeremy "insert expletive" Clarkson.

quote:

It's so freaking disturbing how popular Top Gear is! But suppose boys playing with theirs and each others dicks while the rest of us look on is kind of fun. Given that cars kill probably close to as many people annually as guns - perhaps the US should compete with a program all of it's own - "Men Stroking Their Weapons", "Cocked and Loaded" etc - Imagine the viewing numbers! Of course Brits would scoff "Those stupid fuckin' Americans". But really - deep down - what's the difference? Just toys for boys.

quote:

You sound very afraid of people who want to simply stop the vehicle being an expression of weaponry and
male sexual prowess ! are you compensating for something ?
Why on earth should people not on the aggressive Right be freeloader inheritors of wealth ,posing as hippies - who tells you these things ? freeloader inheritors of wealth on the Right ? !

Someone did link this though from a few years back which if it wasn't for the fact its a real advocacy group I'd assume was a parody.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4444763.stm

quote:

Eco pressure group Transport 2000, which wants to scrap the BBC's high octane Top Gear, thinks so. But what would it be like?

Jeremy Clarkson would "test drive" a range of new "shopper" bicycles and assesses the advantages of front basket over rear rack. He takes a trip to his local organic food store and stocks up on green lentils, brown rice and mung beans before stacking them carefully on his bike for the journey home along traffic-calmed Liverpool Road in north London. Once he arrives, he measures the amount of lentils, rice and beans left in the bags before cooking himself a nutritious meal.

:psyduck:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there some sort of slur we can use to mercilessly insult this sort of hand-wringing "eco-conscious" piece of garbage, which is neither sexist nor homophobic?

We need to make one, because this group is the one deserving of a slur.

I just don't get how you can not like cars, or Top Gear. Even when I was living in a city with good transit, and I didn't own a car, and I didn't really want to own a car, I still liked cars and liked Top Gear.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 12, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Jeremy Clarkson is a bad person who has supported things which have demonstrably made the world a worse place to live in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

Is there some sort of slur we can use to mercilessly insult this sort of hand-wringing "eco-conscious" piece of garbage, which is neither sexist nor homophobic?
Oh, they'll decide it's sexist, racist, classist, and/or homophobic all by themselves, so call them whatever you like anyway.

"Guardian readers" generally works though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cloudchamber posted:

Jeremy Clarkson is a bad person who has supported things which have demonstrably made the world a worse place to live in.

Maybe for you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The moronic opinions of hand-wringing pansies... there's coming from inside the thread!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

Replace Clarkson with Rowan Atkinson Sabine Schmidt, problem solved.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So weird. A robust public transportation system owns. Hell I rely on the Chicago one daily. It's incredible. There's room for that and owning cars for the fun of driving.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Data Graham posted:

Maybe for you

Not just for me but for the millions of citizens in the Middle East who are suffering as a consequence of the wars he supported.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

So weird. A robust public transportation system owns. Hell I rely on the Chicago one daily. It's incredible. There's room for that and owning cars for the fun of driving.

I know! I hate having to use my car for things -- I love using a really functional transit system that's kept clean and safe. That doesn't mean I don't love my car, or cars in general. In fact, I think not having to use my car on a regular basis makes it that much easier to love my car.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

Not just for me but for the millions of citizens in the Middle East who are suffering as a consequence of the wars he supported.

Yep, totally Jezza's fault, given he has any control over what the military does at all... :rolleyes:

Do squirrels live in your head, or what? Do you simply need something to feel upset about?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yep, totally Jezza's fault, given he has any control over what the military does at all... :rolleyes:

Do squirrels live in your head, or what? Do you simply need something to feel upset about?

He has columns in newspapers with readers which number in the millions and have a genuine impact on public opinion, but chose instead to help increase support for the illegal invasion of a foreign country.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Whoa when did the Top Gear thread become D&D?!

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Whoa when did the Top Gear thread become D&D?!

Wherever people turn a blind eye to racist imperial arrogance you will find D&D.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

He has columns in newspapers with readers which number in the millions and have a genuine impact on public opinion, but chose instead to help increase support for the illegal invasion of a foreign country.

It is to laugh. I wish Clarkson actually were a racist and an imperialist, just to piss you off more.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

cloudchamber posted:

Source your quotes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Source your quotes.
Jeremy Clarkson is the de facto King of England.

cloudchamber posted:

Wherever people turn a blind eye to racist imperial arrogance you will find D&D.
Oh my lord you are so precious. Come here and let me pinch your cheeks.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

PT6A posted:

It is to laugh. I wish Clarkson actually were a racist and an imperialist, just to piss you off more.

He is. I read The Times which publishes his writings. Not one word will you find in his columns on any foreign civilian killed by shock and awe or drone strikes, but when the medical services mishandles the treatment of just a single soldier he will dedicate an entire column to it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cloudchamber posted:

LF got deleted for a reason, go away.

Chris Knight posted:

Replace Clarkson with Sabine Schmidt, problem solved.

I'd watch a Top Gear that consisted of Sabine Schmidt, Chris Harris, and James May. I think that'd be a very good motoring show.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'd watch a Top Gear that consisted of Sabine Schmidt, Chris Harris, and James May. I think that'd be a very good motoring show.
A new challenge has been handed to the producers!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cloudchamber posted:

There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Can we shitcan this thread now? It's decended into D&D stupidity.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Data Graham posted:

There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

What the gently caress happened to this thread? :psyduck:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

T1g4h posted:

What the gently caress happened to this thread? :psyduck:

Social justice.

Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb3kJYI5U9I

bloops fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I seem to recall that when the reviewed the Escalade in season 4, they openly said its a car for black rappers.
They basically said, its a terrible car, but we totally get why black people like it.
Where was all the outrage?!