Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I guess I'm a crazy person, because I prefer the second picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
uh dude, there's only one picture

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's probably a rooster showing him a second picture and telling him to murder everyone in the thread

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh, thank god, I thought that was just me.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that reminds me, i also didnt like how they made richard into this spooky harbinger of death when in the first game there was no clear cut reason to his appearances

i did like how every playable character dies in one way or another

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jizz Festival posted:

uh dude, there's only one picture

Okay, fine, the second part of the picture then. Sheesh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ArfJason posted:

that reminds me, i also didnt like how they made richard into this spooky harbinger of death when in the first game there was no clear cut reason to his appearances

Someone earlier in the thread posited that Richard represents Jacket, who is the clear example of these violent actions having consequences, and no one ever listens to him. I think this is probably dead on, and is basically the reason why everyone ends up dead. No one looked at this guy and went "oh gently caress, we'd better not do that." Instead they all saw him and went "YEAH! AWESOME!" for one reason or another.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheJoker138 posted:

Someone earlier in the thread posited that Richard represents Jacket, who is the clear example of these violent actions having consequences, and no one ever listens to him. I think this is probably dead on, and is basically the reason why everyone ends up dead. No one looked at this guy and went "oh gently caress, we'd better not do that." Instead they all saw him and went "YEAH! AWESOME!" for one reason or another.

No, he's something else. This interpretation is specifically disclaimed at the start of Hard Mode, in response to a question by Richter. My best guess is he's whatever the commander was channeling immediately before the Power Plant chapter.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Does the Grizzly guy with the two machine guns ever aim in two different directions like in the trailer, or was that just early footage?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
are we putting retarded analysis in spoiler tags now to save other people from having to read it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Waffle! posted:

Does the Grizzly guy with the two machine guns ever aim in two different directions like in the trailer, or was that just early footage?

Right mouse button- he slowly moves his aim to 180 degrees. Highly situational.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ArfJason posted:

I dunno about this, Richard was the prophetic and contemplative part of Jacket's hallucinations, of the three (Richard, Don Juan and Rasmus) he seems like the natural fit for the role. He's also Jacket's canon mask, so there's that thing about Jacket as Richard becoming a sort of memetic touchstone for all the screwed up people of Miami.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Waffle! posted:

Hold the pick up weapons button.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Waffle! posted:

It's his special ability, like the zebra's rolling, so you have to hold spacebar to get it to work. Personally, I never once had a use for it, but it's neat that it can be done.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Syndlig posted:

It's his special ability, like the zebra's rolling, so you have to hold spacebar to get it to work. Personally, I never once had a use for it, but it's neat that it can be done.

Not space, rmb

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I dunno about this, Richard was the prophetic and contemplative part of Jacket's hallucinations, of the three (Richard, Don Juan and Rasmus) he seems like the natural fit for the role. He's also Jacket's canon mask, so there's that thing about Jacket as Richard becoming a sort of memetic touchstone for all the screwed up people of Miami.

Richard in HM2 is probably not Richard from HM1. For one thing, he has teeth and blinks.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

tbh im not really going about the specific role in plot of richard, just that the tone seems way different, like they were trying to make him sound menacing and foreboding all over again but making him predictable along the way, im not sure i can easily put it into words.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Word to anyone on the fence: if you're not cool with restrictive gimmicks and way more gunplay, stick to the first game or at least to see what happens with the level editor!

As someone who hasn't picked this up or even read any reviews, :whitewater: :whitewater: :whitewater: :whitewater: :whitewater:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also this game is a lot less disorienting than the original
doesnt have to, can be its own thing, but i miss being lost

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I unlock the Tony mask in the last level as the vigilantes, and then when their next one comes up, naturally I use it.

And then I get to the last part of this one and find that if you decided to use the mask right after you get it, as someone naturally would, the only real strategy is playing peekaboo with all the guys who have guns. Good design.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've hit the Hawaii missions and something's gone weird with my aim cursor, it's like it's been magnetized to the center of the map. Is there a reason for this, or am I glitching?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I've hit the Hawaii missions and something's gone weird with my aim cursor, it's like it's been magnetized to the center of the map. Is there a reason for this, or am I glitching?

It happened to me in the first Hawaii one and I saw someone else say the same thing, restarting the mission fixed it for me

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ArfJason posted:

tbh im not really going about the specific role in plot of richard, just that the tone seems way different, like they were trying to make him sound menacing and foreboding all over again but making him predictable along the way, im not sure i can easily put it into words.

Nah I totally get that. Someone earlier in the thread posted something to this effect, but the gist of it is that HLM 1 told a very minimalist story and it was to the game's benefit, by and large. HLM 2 goes for something a lot more in-depth and nuanced, but because the designers aren't Stanley Kubrick and this isn't Full Metal Jacket (rimshot), it over reaches and ends up pretty muddled. I enjoy the game, and I appreciate what they were going for, but the story just doesn't have the level of profundity it's aspiring to.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Full Metal Jacket sounds like it'd be rad as hell.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i replayed a couple of levels to get some achievements i missed the first time through the game and even after having some time to cool off i still hugely dislike the level design of this game. it's not good.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ArfJason posted:

Maybe you just need to get better at the game Actually.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Krazyface posted:

Maybe you just need to get better at the game Actually.

If you dodge roll at the right time you can totally avoid the nuclear shockwave.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
The whole ammo box thing honestly feels like a mistake, they really should actually refill your ammo a worthwhile amount.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The clear intent of those levels is that you should conserve ammo, using your knife often as you can. The ammo boxes are just there to help keep you from backing into a complete no win situation because you wasted all your bullets on the fist map.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skunkrocker posted:

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER BELOW

gently caress YOU DENNATON NOW I WANT HOTLINE 3

Fallout Miami :getin:

or To Be Continued in Nuclear Throne :unsmigghh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Space Hamlet posted:

It's pretty clear! It asks "Do you want to skip those scenes?" and the options are "yes" and "no"

I mean in the options menu, not the start-up screen. I did misread the start-up screen and it's much clearer there, but when I went into the options there's no "yes" or "no". It's "on" or "off", and you would think that "on" would mean "censorship on".

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Studio posted:

Hahahahaha Death Wish Hard Hahahahaha

Which floor's giving you trouble? Corey's, I assume?

The key is to get good at her roll. It's 100% vital.

Discendo Vox posted:

Protip: whenever you control the Detective, check the trunk of your car.

For some reason the level it would be really good in, Dead Ahead, doesn't seem to have the shotgun in it.

Skunkrocker posted:

MAJOR ENDING SPOILER BELOW

gently caress YOU DENNATON NOW I WANT HOTLINE 3

Only if The Fans are back.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Anatharon posted:

For some reason the level it would be really good in, Dead Ahead, doesn't seem to have the shotgun in it.

There's a reason for that. Check it in intro and conclusion sections, too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fixing the shift look bug makes things a lot easier

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Am I stuck with only one magazine for all the Hawaii levels? If not where/how do I get more ammo?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Mr. Pool posted:

Am I stuck with only one magazine for all the Hawaii levels? If not where/how do I get more ammo?

Once you run out of bullets there are boxes that open with a big arrow on top of them that let you refill, but only like 1/4 of your bullet capacity at a time.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Ledgy posted:

Ooooh ! That's why I couldn't unlock that drat achievment ! I thought it was bugged since you're forced to kill that one henchman in his first level, that makes sense now.

Please tell me you can get the achievement still by going back and redoing that mission. I'll find out how, myself, just yet, but please tell me I didn't gently caress myself out of that achievement, 24 Acts in.

Game rocks, soundtrack is heaps better than the previous game, HLM1 has better and tighter level design, Ash & Alex are the best fans.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've been loving this game but Dead Ahead is my personal level where I'm going to have to put it down and take a break until tommorow. That level could really do with 50% less enemies on the floor, one fuckup and you're completely overwhelmed.

Loving the atmosphere and the different gameplay styles of all the characters, though. It definetly feels grimier and more downtrodden, and it's a very different atmosphere to the first time, but I've had a great time. Alex and Ash are ridiculously fun to play.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just realized the coded talk the soldiers give over the radio matches the style of the phone calls people receive from 50 blessings. Nice detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pretty big dick move that the fat soldiers with guns can shoot through the tents in the center when nothing else on the map in Hawaii 2 can including you, so not only is it a cover shooter, but it's a cover shooter where the cover doesn't actually work against everything.

e: Also how I have to second guess every single shot because who knows if I need more than a quarter of my ammo for the rest of the increasingly longer map.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread