Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I recently got one of these, and I loving love torquing things now. Torquing is loving great.

A lot of the mechanics I know take the batteries out of these to help make them last longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SouthsideSaint posted:

A lot of the mechanics I know take the batteries out of these to help make them last longer.

You just unscrew the bottom of it enough for them to stop making contact.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Preoptopus posted:

Are they a pain to calibrate?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

yeah tell that to my friend who did that and now has a torque wrench that randomly stops working.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

yeah tell that to my friend who did that and now has a torque wrench that randomly stops working.

No, you tell your friend to clean the battery contacts.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^ but i have seen the insides of that wrench and its spotless. And I made sure it was tightened down completely when I borrowed it, and still 9/10 times when torqueing it would poo poo out and restart. I bought a nine dollar harbor freight one when I gave him his back and have been fine ever since.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

sofullofhate posted:

Are they a pain to calibrate?

Most tool guys will do it for you. (If you buy it from them they should do it for free)
Never did it myself.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I thought the whole reason for buying Snap-On was the warranty. He should just throw it back at them. Or is that just for professional customers?
After seeing Jafromobile talking his up I wanted one but definitely can't justify the cost.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The engine teardown that keeps on giving.

All of the bearings were pretty worn down, massive ridges on the top of the cylinders, definite metal transfer from the aluminum pistons to the cylinder wall. Not too keen on having the crankshaft journals turned, I might just say gently caress it and buy stroker parts at this point, I'm going to have to replace poo poo anyway if I want it to last.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 11, 2015

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

EightBit posted:

The engine teardown that keeps on giving.

All of the bearings were pretty worn down, massive ridges on the top of the cylinders, definite metal transfer from the aluminum pistons to the cylinder wall. Not too keen on having the crankshaft journals turned, I might just say gently caress it and buy stroker parts at this point, I'm going to have to replace poo poo anyway if I want it to last.

Subaru?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
CL jeep 4.0 rebuild to get my TJ running again after it broke a piston and took out the block. I have the new block stripped and ready for the machine shop, probably going to get it bored out a bit and go from there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That brings piston slap to a whole new level. How many miles were on that engine?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Bibendum posted:

I thought the whole reason for buying Snap-On was the warranty. He should just throw it back at them. Or is that just for professional customers?
After seeing Jafromobile talking his up I wanted one but definitely can't justify the cost.

Check out CPI if you ever need a mechanical torque wrench. They are SO's OEM. Amazon has a ton of them and all our 1/4 + 3/8 are CPI.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

Check out CPI if you ever need a mechanical torque wrench. They are SO's OEM. Amazon has a ton of them and all our 1/4 + 3/8 are CPI.

CDI? I loving love my CDI 3/8" and 1/2" wrenches.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

That brings piston slap to a whole new level. How many miles were on that engine?

I failed to get that info. I was only concerned with it having a good block.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EightBit posted:

I failed to get that info. I was only concerned with it having a good block.

That's from the good motor? :gonk:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Lol yes. The bad one cracked a cylinder wall with a busted piston, but was otherwise clean. I guess I'll be pulling it out of the jeep soon to investigate the condition of the crank.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hopefully the block you got is actually usable, if the ring ridge is too bad, it might be past what can be machined out cylinder-wear wise.

Is that piston damage from beating the poo poo out of them to get the pistons out past the ridge, or from operation? It doesn't look piston slap related to me, that'd be at the base of the skirts at 90 degrees from the wristpin holes, but it does look bad.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Hopefully the block you got is actually usable, if the ring ridge is too bad, it might be past what can be machined out cylinder-wear wise.

Is that piston damage from beating the poo poo out of them to get the pistons out past the ridge, or from operation? It doesn't look piston slap related to me, that'd be at the base of the skirts at 90 degrees from the wristpin holes, but it does look bad.

I pulled the pistons out after reaming the ridge off, so that was from running :shepface:. There were ghosts of cross-hatching in there, so the cylinders are probably salvageable.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Crank no start diagnostic on a 95 Civic.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^ so they just cut a house power cord and used that???? :stonklol:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Is the red stuff on the twisted wires is the spray on wax poo poo used to protect battery terminals? :froggonk:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

SouthsideSaint posted:

hahaha, lol, awesome. buy a 700 dollar torque wrench, have to take the batteries out to keep it from dying. gently caress that noise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
More from the dana 35 chronicles

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Is the red stuff on the twisted wires is the spray on wax poo poo used to protect battery terminals? :froggonk:

I chose to believe it is semi dried blood.

Not a mechanic but I use my 1/2" drive beam torque wrench for the big stuff, and the really nice dial one I picked up from the Ford dealership auction for the smaller stuff.

Really late crosspost for content.
Niva's U joint.
Left stub worn to a taper.
All of one cup's needles reduced to tiny cylinders like on the box.
Another cup had the needles all tapered near one end.
Third one they were all seized in place by powdered rust and the fourth actually had grease.

I drove around on it for thousands of km like that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Did you use a filter to make it look like a picture of the elephant's foot from Chernobyl?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

kastein posted:

This will be my rear soon. Despite knowing better, I flog the gently caress out of it constantly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

That hurts my soul. I had to deal with some PO fuckery like that with my project(not that bad though).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

iForge, might as well get your hundred bucks worth out of it right? :v:

EightBit posted:

Did you use a filter to make it look like a picture of the elephant's foot from Chernobyl?

Nope, that's how the owner posted it when looking for a replacement on our local facebook offroad parts trading post. Not my fault :banjo:

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

General_Failure posted:

I chose to believe it is semi dried blood.

Not a mechanic but I use my 1/2" drive beam torque wrench for the big stuff, and the really nice dial one I picked up from the Ford dealership auction for the smaller stuff.

Really late crosspost for content.
Niva's U joint.
Left stub worn to a taper.
All of one cup's needles reduced to tiny cylinders like on the box.
Another cup had the needles all tapered near one end.
Third one they were all seized in place by powdered rust and the fourth actually had grease.

Can you give me something to read about that type of u-joint? I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is a plain Jane universal joint, do not confuse with a c v joint.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

slidebite posted:

That is a plain Jane universal joint, do not confuse with a c v joint.

Nevermind, I still don't understand. Do the individual ends pivot? How does it deal with angles?

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 12, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
gently caress doing u joints and their needle bearings in general but I cannot fathom doing them on a Niva where apparently the needles are an optional extra.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In Soviet Russia, joint confuses U.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ChewedFood posted:

Nevermind, I still don't understand. Do the individual ends pivot? How does it deal with angles?

Its awkward to wrap your head around but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc9A3YdUTRs

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So in the end that was the kill switch the customer wired inline with the power wire to the ignition control module to prevent a theft attempt, then attached helpfully to the steering column directly below the ignition switch. They then instructed me to twist it into the new distributor and got mad when I suggested to remove it instead.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

Right there with ya buddy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ChewedFood posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint

They are needle bearings and fit into yokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

So in the end that was the kill switch the customer wired inline with the power wire to the ignition control module to prevent a theft attempt, then attached helpfully to the steering column directly below the ignition switch. They then instructed me to twist it into the new distributor and got mad when I suggested to remove it instead.

Why didnt they just cut the starter signal and make a hidden push button?!