Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

TEAYCHES posted:

Just to pick out the most important point here in partisan politics, if someone like Cheney had attempted to conduct all state email business on a homebrew server and Cheney's staff decided what to release - does it even have to be extrapolated further?

Well...

Also, Jeb Bush ran his own email server for official business while Governor of Florida. To his credit, he's released all of those emails to the public. In the true spirit of transparency, the released emails include Social Security numbers and other personal information of various constituents who emailed him about government business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Joementum posted:

Well...

Also, Jeb Bush ran his own email server for official business while Governor of Florida. To his credit, he's released all of those emails to the public. In the true spirit of transparency, the released emails include Social Security numbers and other personal information of various constituents who emailed him about government business.

Jeb's email open house bonanza was possibly even more retarded, but I am mostly railing against progressives who are going to attempt to defend Clinton for something indefensible.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

Jeb's email open house bonanza was possibly even more retarded, but I am mostly railing against progressives who are going to attempt to defend Clinton for something indefensible.

Didn't see a lot of follow-up to this, but didn't someone earlier in the thread mention that the State Department has a separate system from any communications involving classified information, and that this @hilldog.com account would only have been used for stuff that wouldn't need to be transmitted on that network?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Didn't see a lot of follow-up to this, but didn't someone earlier in the thread mention that the State Department has a separate system from any communications involving classified information, and that this @hilldog.com account would only have been used for stuff that wouldn't need to be transmitted on that network?

The only proof that Clinton's homebrew account was only used for communications that didn't need to be transmitted through official State Department channels is that Clinton's staff says that the homebrew account was never used for stuff that should have been transmitted through official State Department channels. That is the point. There is no one to verify this except Clinton's own staff.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Bush/Musk 2016: Digital e-transparency in a post-privacy socially networked world

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The good news is that Hillary clearly values personal email privacy and will end the NSA surveillance program as soon as she takes office :unsmith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A Republican Senator who's running for President has a staffer who wrote for a neo-Confederate publication and (this is the real shocker) it's not Rand Paul (this time)!

In case you don't want to click, it's Lindsey Graham.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

A Republican Senator who's running for President has a staffer who wrote for a neo-Confederate publication and (this is the real shocker) it's not Rand Paul (this time)!

Dude, that's not even the worst story about Lindsey Graham to break today. I'd say that whoever did that oppo dump should have waited till a day when Lindsey wasn't shooting himself in the foot, but that would be a long wait . . .

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/11/8193751/lindsey-graham-military-coup

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I see some of us are ready for the transition to the Imperial phase of our history. I guess Graham is Marius?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well when Chaney did it, it was a minor kerfuffle that didn't go anywhere because he started claiming the VP was neither part of the executive nor part of the legislative branch.

God those were the days.

Yeah, and it wasn't just that. The Bush administration spent 6 years running email through GOP-run email servers and those emails were just plain gone, not archived, nothing. Between that and Jeb running his governor email through a private server the double standard is absolutely stark here. I think the Bush 43 stuff came up as a result of the US Attorneys firing scandal investigation.

Oddly enough, Chris Christie was appointed as a federal attorney by Bush in 12/01, which might be the timeframe in which the firings happened (so they could hire people like him).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so, let's just entertain a hypothetical.

Debate season starts and, by Super Tuesday, Walker and Bush have imploded. Like, utter catastrophe. Think "Rick Perry's "Oops" multiplied by Herman Cain's sexual harassment" level of collapse. Rubio, meanwhile, fails to get off the ground despite the only other feasibly electable candidates running have become total jokes, and has dropped out.

Who does the GOP nominate? Because I honestly think at that point they'd go "gently caress it" and nominate Ted Cruz.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Debate season starts and, by Super Tuesday, Walker and Bush have imploded. Like, utter catastrophe. Think "Rick Perry's "Oops" multiplied by Herman Cain's sexual harassment" level of collapse. Rubio, meanwhile, fails to get off the ground despite the only other feasibly electable candidates running have become total jokes, and has dropped out.

Who does the GOP nominate? Because I honestly think at that point they'd go "gently caress it" and nominate Ted Cruz.

Kasich. He's Christie without the baggage.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
What Fried Chicken said. Although if the wheels had come off the cart that badly, I imagine we'd see a lot of third-tier candidates jumping in to exploit the chaos. I wouldn't bet against Tennessee governor Bill Haslam: he's won his state by crushing margins each time, yet he's managed to govern as a moderate and wrangle his insane Tea Party legislature, and he's disgustingly wealthy (somewhere around 10x Romney wealth). He would be a tough contender, even if he doesn't have much of a national profile right now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'd say that's an unlikely hypothetical.

And speaking of things that are unlikely...

Willard 'Mitt' Romney posted:

After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee.

[...]

I’ve been asked, and will certainly be asked again if there are any circumstances whatsoever that might develop that could change my mind. That seems unlikely. Accordingly, I’m not organizing a PAC or taking donations; I’m not hiring a campaign team.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TEAYCHES posted:

The only proof that Clinton's homebrew account was only used for communications that didn't need to be transmitted through official State Department channels is that Clinton's staff says that the homebrew account was never used for stuff that should have been transmitted through official State Department channels. That is the point. There is no one to verify this except Clinton's own staff.

The state department and DoD have their own 'internet' for classified stuff and unless someone from state/dod/nsa went to where the server was and hooked it in, classified material could not have been sent to it unless she saved it to a flash drive and moved it to a regular computer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The state department and DoD have their own 'internet' for classified stuff and unless someone from state/dod/nsa went to where the server was and hooked it in, classified material could not have been sent to it unless she saved it to a flash drive and moved it to a regular computer.

She could have burned it to a CD and written "Lady Gaga" on it with a sharpie.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Rand Paul. Last man standing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Tbf you try finding qualified Republican staff from South Carolina who haven't written for a neo-Confederate publication at some point.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This is assuming that Hillary Clinton and the people she communicates with are robots who were incapable of expressing information and ideas unless they could attach a file from a secured network. This is retarded, on the face of it. But it's good that, like I said, I'm railing against progressives who are going to attempt to defend Clinton for something indefensible - and there are people who will surely defend Clinton against the indefensible.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

How could you possibly communicate and express classified information unless it was on the state department domain?? - someone who does not understand how human communications or computers work.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

How could you possibly communicate and express classified information unless it was on the state department domain?? - someone who does not understand how human communications or computers work.

Yeah, well, prove it. *all communications on a homebrew email server which weren't sorted by Clinton's staff have been destroyed*

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dude, that's not even the worst story about Lindsey Graham to break today. I'd say that whoever did that oppo dump should have waited till a day when Lindsey wasn't shooting himself in the foot, but that would be a long wait . . .

Why on earth would anyone be dedicating any oppo research to Lindsay Graham, this story could quite possibly help him in the primary (in that his numbers have literally nowhere to go but up).

comes along bort posted:

Tbf you try finding qualified Republican staff from South Carolina who haven't written for a neo-Confederate publication at some point.

Even most Southern Republicans have been savy enough not to openly admire David Duke.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ReindeerF posted:

I wonder if Truman would seem engaging today, or cold and off-putting. He's like every President's favorite modern President. Aw shucks factor off the scales, but I've no clear idea what he'd look like with today's media on his rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN_UJJ9ObDs

It's like a scary-as-hell Bobby Jindal.

e: Also that Graham logo has GOT to be a photoshop. It HAS to be. I know conservatives are loving human trash with no self-awareness but SOMEONE in that julep-swilling cockup's office HAD to be like "YO LINZ, THINK YOU'RE LAYING THE HITLER ON A LITTLE THICK HERE." "Security through Strength" with a loving red/white/black eagle? Seriously? Is he going to announce a continental Anschluss next month?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 12, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
'Blah blah blah indefensible blah.' We were never going to read those e-mails anyway, even if she did use a .gov address. gently caress anyone who's trying to make this a thing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

e: Also that Graham logo has GOT to be a photoshop. It HAS to be. I know conservatives are loving human trash with no self-awareness but SOMEONE in that julep-swilling cockup's office HAD to be like "YO LINZ, THINK YOU'RE LAYING THE HITLER ON A LITTLE THICK HERE." "Security through Strength" with a loving red/white/black eagle? Seriously? Is he going to announce a continental Anschluss next month?

I feel there's an Ernst Rohm joke in there if you put just a little more effort into it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

FAUXTON posted:

Service guarantees citizenship!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TEAYCHES posted:

This is assuming that Hillary Clinton and the people she communicates with are robots who were incapable of expressing information and ideas unless they could attach a file from a secured network. This is retarded, on the face of it. But it's good that, like I said, I'm railing against progressives who are going to attempt to defend Clinton for something indefensible - and there are people who will surely defend Clinton against the indefensible.

It's possible she's been sharing classified stuff inappropriately, I'm just saying it probably wasn't done via her private email server. Classified information being shared over her email is the only real thing that could stick from this for everyone not already reflexively voting R.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

comes along bort posted:

I feel there's an Ernst Rohm joke in there if you put just a little more effort into it.

Lindsey Graham's thing has always been jumping that extra quarter-twitch every time a Real Conservative Man says "FROG" , and these days it's getting really really hard to be the craziest, furthest-jumping frog.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

I would definitely not like to know more about Lindsey Graham. Frankly, I can guess quite enough already.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deep Hurting posted:

I would definitely not like to know more about Lindsey Graham. Frankly, I can guess quite enough already.

Do you like catillions amongst the myrtles on a warm summer night?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

You mean the ones that were already heavily slanted red to begin with and had democrats put up the weakest milquetoast dorks who ran away from a president who got uninsured people insurance for the first time in like ever? Sure do!

I mean snark aside, gains were kind of locked in already. The reason it went worse than expected wasn't because everyone forgot about the shutdown, it was because the people voting in the areas Republicans won didn't care. It doesn't help that the democrats completely screwed the pooch after the GOP handed them a giant stick to beat them with. If you're going to lose, lose supporting your guy. Blathering around in the middle just makes you look like an idiot to everyone Grimes.

Yes! That one. And in 2016 when the field is tilted blue and the Republicans put up a lovely candidate (I'm just assuming here, I'll admit) the email issue will be completely played out as far as swaying undecided people. I'm still thinking the reason this came out during the same media cycle as Bibi's speech is that it's being aired out preemptively by Hillary's own people. You think House Republicans weren't aware of her email address during their Benghazi investigations? They probably wanted to wait until closer to the election to raise it themselves, but now it's out a year and a half early and it will be old news when the election is in full swing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VanSandman posted:

'Blah blah blah indefensible blah.' We were never going to read those e-mails anyway, even if she did use a .gov address. gently caress anyone who's trying to make this a thing.

As I've stated already this is merely an attempt by left-Dems pretending they can alter 2016. Republicans aren't even a consideration on this one.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

As I've stated already this is merely an attempt by left-Dems pretending they can alter 2016. Republicans aren't even a consideration on this one.

Are you saying that the lesson left-Dems learned from the GOP is that to make headway with the American people you need to keep the outrage machine fueled with meaningless non-stories?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

The original logo was red/white/blue, but replacing the blue with black makes it better :shobon:

(The rest is unchanged)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Not quite. As much as D&D reflects fondly on that debate as some slam on Ryan, I seem to recall that snap polls right after the veep debate were evenly split on the winner, if not giving Ryan a slight edge.

FAKE EDIT: Yup.

The general consensus was that people thought Biden was "too mean" to Ryan, or something like that.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The general consensus was that people thought Biden was "too mean" to Ryan, or something like that.

iirc that was the general Republican consensus.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Flash polls of a VP debate are always going to be evenly split unless one of the candidates totally fucks up because nobody watches VP debates except rank partisans.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Which shows once again how uninformed the average voter is. Ryan is the one who told a canned story about a family in a car accident to try and make a point during the debate and there's NO WAY he didn't know Biden's first wife and daughter were killed in a car crash. It was a blatant attempt to upset Biden and throw him off his game so he could "win" a debate.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TEAYCHES posted:

Yeah, well, prove it. *all communications on a homebrew email server which weren't sorted by Clinton's staff have been destroyed*

Why do you keep saying homebrew? There's been no indication that it was anything of the sort or do you just not know that has a different meaning and you're going off that awful AP article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chadderbox posted:

Which shows once again how uninformed the average voter is. Ryan is the one who told a canned story about a family in a car accident to try and make a point during the debate and there's NO WAY he didn't know Biden's first wife and daughter were killed in a car crash. It was a blatant attempt to upset Biden and throw him off his game so he could "win" a debate.

If Ryan had grabbed Biden by the hair and slammed his face on the table repeatedly those same people would have been pumping their fists in happiness. They don't care about "meanness" it's just they know in their hearts their lameass candidate got beaten clearly and fairly and they had to rationalize it somehow that Biden somehow cheated or was rude just like how Obama clearly got elected through underhanded tricks they can't quite explain.

• Locked thread