Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I can understand where people are coming from with the level design complaints, but at the same time, you can't really act as if the first game was devoid of stuff like that either. (Which you can argue that they should have fixed in the first place, of course.) The room with all the windows in Hot and Heavy comes to mind. Or this room:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anatharon posted:

Only if The Fans are back.

Twenty shekels says they're the guys you play as in Nuclear Throne. Forty if Dennation, Devolver, and Vlambeer all agree to canon-weld Hotline and NT.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Saigyouji posted:

I can understand where people are coming from with the level design complaints, but at the same time, you can't really act as if the first game was devoid of stuff like that either. (Which you can argue that they should have fixed in the first place, of course.) The room with all the windows in Hot and Heavy comes to mind. Or this room:

People haven't been saying it was devoid of it. Those levels were the low points of the first game, but now instead of a few bad levels/rooms, it's basically an entire game of those rooms. Yeah, it was in the first game, and it was lovely then, and it's lovely now.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The thing with these open spaces and levels with tons of patrolling enemies with ranged weapons is that it kinda feels like you have to be a lot more formulaic with your approach and there isn't tons of variety, it's either make noise with firearms to lure the enemies towards a checkpoint or sidestep around corners to lure the armed sentries to the door and then just swing a melee weapon until everything is dead over and over again, as long as you don't expect to rush headfirst into rooms and corridors it really isn't that challenging, just slightly tedious. In the first game it felt like sometimes you could just rush a level swinging like crazy hopping from enemy to enemy and if you got your clicks just right you could make it, this time around there are too many enemies positioned just far enough from the door that you're gonna have to lure them to the entrance instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna play a Hotline Miami 2 without windows

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The thing with these open spaces and levels with tons of patrolling enemies with ranged weapons is that it kinda feels like you have to be a lot more formulaic with your approach and there isn't tons of variety, it's either make noise with firearms to lure the enemies towards a checkpoint or sidestep around corners to lure the armed sentries to the door and then just swing a melee weapon until everything is dead over and over again, as long as you don't expect to rush headfirst into rooms and corridors it really isn't that challenging, just slightly tedious. In the first game it felt like sometimes you could just rush a level swinging like crazy hopping from enemy to enemy and if you got your clicks just right you could make it, this time around there are too many enemies positioned just far enough from the door that you're gonna have to lure them to the entrance instead.

The sad thing about that is some of the levels really show this off well. I was playing a few again to see if maybe it was just first day impressions (nope, still dislike it) and some of the levels are really goddamn good for this poo poo, like Homicide and parts of Withdrawal and most of the Pig levels.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't even think those rooms were a "problem" in Hotline Miami unless you want the entire game to be repetitive as hell, but HLM2 tilts the ratio a little far in favor of them

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I really don't even think those rooms were a "problem" in Hotline Miami unless you want the entire game to be repetitive as hell, but HLM2 tilts the ratio a little far in favor of them

id like to agree with you but the fact that i still remember the name "hot n heavy" proves that it was just as much bullshit back then as it is now

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Once you run out of bullets there are boxes that open with a big arrow on top of them that let you refill, but only like 1/4 of your bullet capacity at a time.

thanks

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What am I supposed to do against the giant swan?

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
I like how, in the final level, if you bring a gun across to the second floor you're hosed because there's a guy who's immune to bullets to kill before you can get a melee weapon

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

plape tickler posted:

What am I supposed to do against the giant swan?

Dodge the attacks, chop the necks. Attack each one once and that should do it

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

M.Ciaster posted:

Dodge the attacks, chop the necks. Attack each one once and that should do it

Oh god.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Specifically you can't do it when the eyes are red, you have to do it just after their attack but before they recover.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks. I really suck at doing quick circles with WASD. I might need to use a controller for this one.

edit - not so bad. finally done. I'd really like to see this guy get the chance to do something with a big budget and modern graphics, not that I don't enjoy these retro games.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 12, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

widespread posted:

Twenty shekels says they're the guys you play as in Nuclear Throne. Forty if Dennation, Devolver, and Vlambeer all agree to canon-weld Hotline and NT.
It was that one MPD guy's last day before retirement.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Beat the game, I mostly had fun but I'm not gonna pretend some levels were more frustrating than others. Mostly the fifth act's stuff, [spoilers]Richter's flashback levels.[/spoiler]. The end was fuckin solid though.

Briefly skimming through the thread I see that there's a Hard mode and some secret content for me to find, anything I should know about either of those?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

heh, you don't see his face

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geight posted:

Beat the game, I mostly had fun but I'm not gonna pretend some levels were more frustrating than others. Mostly the fifth act's stuff, [spoilers]Richter's flashback levels.[/spoiler]. The end was fuckin solid though.

Briefly skimming through the thread I see that there's a Hard mode and some secret content for me to find, anything I should know about either of those?

You can replay chapters on Hard Mode via Continue after you beat the game. It basically does what it says, makes the game harder.

Oh and it also flips/mirrors the game world. Have fun!

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Can anyone tell me how many stages there are? I'm on 19 now, and I'm feeling really underwhelmed. That said, I feel as if I should trudge through if I don't have too much further to go.

e: nevermind, found a wiki. Six more Ugh.

Throne of Bhalz fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 12, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wonder if the polaroid you get before starting the first Hawaii mission is the same as the one Jacket burns at the end of his story in HM1.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I wonder if the polaroid you get before starting the first Hawaii mission is the same as the one Jacket burns at the end of his story in HM1.

yeah i thought it was even though its never confirmed at all

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You can replay chapters on Hard Mode via Continue after you beat the game. It basically does what it says, makes the game harder.

Oh and it also flips/mirrors the game world. Have fun!

That actually does sound pretty fun! But I mean, maybe a few days or something. I'd like them to patch the game a bit to make enemies less prone to spontaneous fits of spinning around in place.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm at about the 5th scene or so and I'm finding it really frustrating and not very fun. As opposed to HM1 which was only sometimes frustrating and mostly fun. I'm getting a little tired of having to carefully clear out rooms with guns, while melee weapons sit on the floor. Is it going to get better at some point?

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

So I'm at about the 5th scene or so and I'm finding it really frustrating and not very fun. As opposed to HM1 which was only sometimes frustrating and mostly fun. I'm getting a little tired of having to carefully clear out rooms with guns, while melee weapons sit on the floor. Is it going to get better at some point?

Not really, no. You'll find that, later, there will be wide open areas in which the camera will become hard to manage. More often than not, you'll die to off-screen enemies. I don't recall this happening all this much in the first game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

It gets more and more punishing as time goes on. I've been getting my fix but the level design in this thing is not at all good.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Even though the level design might be suspect, I really like the writer's nonlethal approach. It's strange and awkward at first, but after seeing so much bloodshed there's something inherently awesome about a character that leaves a floor full of squirming, battered but still-living goons writhing in agony before he politely confronts a mafioso.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Update on purchasing in Australia for anyone wanting to know:

I got my key from Gamersgate.com and it registered on steam with no problems. This was a pre-order from as soon as it was available, so unless Gamersgate have geo-locked it in the meantime this should work for any other Australians.

Haven't had a chance to play yet, but it appears on my game list taunting me

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Even though the level design might be suspect, I really like the writer's nonlethal approach. It's strange and awkward at first, but after seeing so much bloodshed there's something inherently awesome about a character that leaves a floor full of squirming, battered but still-living goons writhing in agony before he politely confronts a mafioso.

Maybe I just like gimmicky poo poo but I'm a huge fan of the writer's levels and the soldier's levels. I will say that the writer's ability to "execute" enemies faster than anyone else actually makes him feel pretty capable in a melee!

I was really hoping for a sort of "free play" mode, where you would be allowed to bring anyone to any chapter regardless of story constraints. I suppose that's something to be left for the editor, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok I give up, is there a tell to know which Russian soldier is immune to the knife and which is immune to the gun in Stronghold? I've figured out that one for each is but not which, and it seems random. Which became real lovely when it was the fat guy with the gun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The good levels are frontloaded. The latter half of the game is worse.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like when my other half of the swan gets stuck on floppy doors

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok I give up, is there a tell to know which Russian soldier is immune to the knife and which is immune to the gun in Stronghold? I've figured out that one for each is but not which, and it seems random. Which became real lovely when it was the fat guy with the gun.

I don't remember seeing gun-proof enemies until way later - Is that a hard mode thing or did I just chop them down without realizing their properties?

quote:

I like when my other half of the swan gets stuck on floppy doors

Doorways are the best worst thing in hotline miami

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Always shoot the fat dudes. If you want to conserve ammo, then you can take them out with one bullet if you have enough room to run. They'll chase you, but bleed out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This screenshot from a friend of mine is basically hotline miami 2.png. Very few times did you spawn in an unwinnable situation in the first game but there's literally nothing he can do here, so even after clearing the previous levels of this chapter he now has to restart the whole thing which really sucks. And to be fair, it doesn't happen extremely frequently in this game either, but it's definitely possible enough to be noteworthy.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't hack it at the power plant and youtube is failing me, anyone wanna share details on the ending?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Always shoot the fat dudes. If you want to conserve ammo, then you can take them out with one bullet if you have enough room to run. They'll chase you, but bleed out.

That's what I mean; twenty bullets in and the fat guy survived. He didn't even do the thing where he coughed up blood and fell over later. He couldn't be killed that attempt. I just got to the second area but this really isn't fun anymore.

quote:

I don't remember seeing gun-proof enemies until way later - Is that a hard mode thing or did I just chop them down without realizing their properties?

I'm on normal, they just look like normal dudes except no matter how much you slash them with a knife or shoot them with a gun they don't stop coming until you are dead. Which doesn't take very long usually.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just finished the game.

:stare:

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
I just beat the game, and I just noticed that none of my achievements are unlocked on steam. Anyone else having issues with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

This screenshot from a friend of mine is basically hotline miami 2.png. Very few times did you spawn in an unwinnable situation in the first game but there's literally nothing he can do here, so even after clearing the previous levels of this chapter he now has to restart the whole thing which really sucks. And to be fair, it doesn't happen extremely frequently in this game either, but it's definitely possible enough to be noteworthy.

Uh looks like you just need to git gud dude. :smug:

• Locked thread