Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
I was aware, I lowered my speed (I usually corner there around 45) and didn't lean in nearly as far as I usually would
I accept it was my fault, I probably shouldn't have even rode to work this morning
The corner is very slippery once it's got water on it, but I was silly enough to ride on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stay loose on the bike, you probably tensed up and put a bunch of input into the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

maybe you should upgrade into a car

Ladies and gents, I present for your amusement: a boiling pot referring to a tea kettle as a negro.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
:thejoke:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Ladies and gents, I present for your amusement: a boiling pot referring to a tea kettle as a negro.

It happens when you wreck like five times in the same helmet.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Radbot posted:

I'd be interested to know how much it all costs you and what you thought of Chinese healthcare. The facilities look older but otherwise nice.

Radbot posted:

Ah, OK, didn't know this was Taiwan and not mainland China. Still, it's loving crazy how cheap healthcare is pretty much anywhere but the US - and the quality can be great, too.

There is actually a gap in my payments toward my health insurance here, which I'll resolve today. Tldr. While I was between jobs I missed a $20USD bill that got sent to an old address.

As such, I wasn't sure if I'd be billed the full amount and then have to claim a refund.

When push came to shove it didn't matter, I was billed as if all my insurance was in order. I'm going to go and pay the missing month(s) today since I have follow up xrays etc to do on Friday.

The numbers to pay attention to:
(top right)
158,xxx and 30,xxx, being the actual cost versus what I was asked to pay.

Those are TWD so divide by 30~ for USD.
(5.3K and 1K).

Someone asked what I'll do with the bike.(phone posting so I can't see the thread at the same time, also many erroneouscommas etc).

It depends on the cost. I'll get it back on the road as soon as possible, because my new job is a 90 minute commute otherwise, and gently caress that. I may have to forego fairings for a while. Ideally, I'll get it back to the same condition as I bought it regardless of cost.

Side note. A buddy is leaving Taiwan for the US, and his wife is making him sell his FZR 150.

It's not in great condition and I'm aware that its going to be a money drain, but, I think I'm about to have a bike 'collection'. Lastly, while the Kawi is being repaired and I don't wanna get on the FZR until my collar is healed, I'm going to be commuting to the new job on a friends Yamaha Vino. Im,actually looking forward to 50cc of pure adrenaline, and wild, stomach churning g-forces.

:D

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike on scummy corner dude. Selling seems a bit of a shame. Is the repair that expensive or am I missing something?

url fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 24, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

If a heroin addict tells a person not to use heroin, are they giving poor advice?

Razzled posted:

maybe you should upgrade into a car

Socal is in the midst of a deluge so I took the DRZ out for a few hours. Ain't no riding like anti-gravity machine in rain riding. :coal: Apparently it takes almost two inches of standing water before our bike gets into the "too much torque" range I've heard other riders describe.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

url posted:

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike on scummy corner dude. Selling seems a bit of a shame. Is the repair that expensive or am I missing something?
Thanks mate, hope you're healing quick
No, it's not that expensive to fix (I might even be able to straighten most things back out)
I've just been wanting something a little bigger and different for a while now, mostly to take advantage of the great trail riding where I live (mid north coast NSW, Australia)
Currently looking at a DR650, but my budget won't stretch to a new one, so I'm waiting for a decent second hand one to pop up

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
I got one, but it's pretty tame. It happened about an hour ago as I was leaving work (I'm in Western Australia). I was approaching a roundabout, with another car approaching from my left, which means I have right of way to go straight. He'd slowed almost to a stop, and I assumed he saw me, so I continued through the intersection. Then he pulled out in front of me, causing me to brake heavily to avoid a collision. The bike tipped, but I got my feet under me fast enough to avoid going tits up.

According to the guy who pulled out in front of me, he did not see me come through the intersection at all, nor did he realise that I'd come off the bike. He reckons that he only stopped because his wife, also in the car, asked him what the hell he was doing when he went to drive away. Funnily enough, he rides as well. Luckily he lived locally and had a trailer, so he was able to give me lift home, rather than having to wait for a tow truck.

In terms of damage, I've lost the mounting bracket for the gear shifter and left foot peg, as well as a cracked left faring, and some damage to the front fairing, and a broken left indicator and mirror. It was a bit squeaky when we were wheeling it around earlier, so I guess I'll see what the mechanic says. In terms of injuries, I'm scot free except for a sore heel.

What can we learn from this experience? Don't take anything for granted with other drivers. This happened just after twilight, so my lights would have been fairly visible, and he seemed to have been stopping at the intersection. But despite all appearances, he just hadn't seen me. Maybe controlling the bike better would have helped, but I don't know how much more of a controlled stop I could have made without running into the guy.

So, there you go.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sounds like you came out okay. I've had people pull out on me that I swear made eye contact. They look right thru you.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nsaP posted:

Sounds like you came out okay. I've had people pull out on me that I swear made eye contact. They look right thru you.

I've noticed with a clear visor, that happens a lot more. Like they see your face and just assume that you're gonna give them right of way.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is it a bad habit to flash your high-beams at people in situations like that? Whenever someone looks like they may be dumb enough to look straight at me and pull out I tend to hit my passing button a few times as an extra precaution. On my bicycle I used to try and swing my light towards people in the same situations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I do a quick wobble in my lane.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

SMIDSY weave.

Gillingham posted:

Is it a bad habit to flash your high-beams at people in situations like that? Whenever someone looks like they may be dumb enough to look straight at me and pull out I tend to hit my passing button a few times as an extra precaution. On my bicycle I used to try and swing my light towards people in the same situations.

I generally avoid flashing high beams, because everywhere I've lived that usually means "go ahead". Sometimes I do a really tiny tap of the horn sort of like, heyo, I'm right here buddy, don't run me over. Or a quick brap, because the SV has an attention-grabbing one :v:

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 4, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I learned it has a name. :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I learned it has a name. :v:

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

Gillingham posted:

Is it a bad habit to flash your high-beams at people in situations like that?

Usually if I'm worried enough about the way someone's driving that I feel I have to use my high-beams to indicate I'm there, I turn them on, weave a bit to make it a touch more obvious, then leave them on until I'm past the danger. Flashing can send off mixed signals.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DenizenKane posted:

Maybe controlling the bike better would have helped, but I don't know how much more of a controlled stop I could have made without running into the guy.

If you fell over without hitting him, you could've stopped without hitting him. Your bike stops harder when it's upright than when it's sliding on it's side.

Who, if anyone, is liable in that situation over there? I'm assuming the guy is deemed at fault?

grnberet2b posted:

Usually if I'm worried enough about the way someone's driving that I feel I have to use my high-beams to indicate I'm there, I turn them on, weave a bit to make it a touch more obvious, then leave them on until I'm past the danger. Flashing can send off mixed signals.

I just whale on my horn. gently caress em. I don't want to crash into their dumb rear end and that's what it's there for. Disclaimer: only works on bikes with a decent horn.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I assume if some guy managed to put an HGV horn on a bicycle, it couldn't be too hard to get one on a motorbike. (maybe things with engines have to follow some rules in this regard though, idk)

The video demo of that was great, people react really quickly if they think they're about to get smushed under 30 tons of frozen chicken.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The hyoshit has a special speed-sensitive horn feature for safety. The horn is at it's loudest when standing still. Increasing the speed, and therefore wind buffeting, increases the amount of localised air pressure the horn diaphragm has to fight against. When you're doing 100 it sounds like a party whistle thing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Because of your hyosung adventures, Slavvy, I get angry every time I see a hyosung on craigslist

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Who, if anyone, is liable in that situation over there? I'm assuming the guy is deemed at fault?

Single vehicle accident, insurance is calculated as each bears own cost and you're responsible for damage to your bike. The advice I've seen on other aussie bike forums is to concentrate on keeping your bike upright and run into the other vehicle if you have to since that makes it a collision.

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.

Ephphatha posted:

Single vehicle accident, insurance is calculated as each bears own cost and you're responsible for damage to your bike. The advice I've seen on other aussie bike forums is to concentrate on keeping your bike upright and run into the other vehicle if you have to since that makes it a collision.

He admitted to fault, so it's moot point.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

M42 posted:

Because of your hyosung adventures, Slavvy, I get angry every time I see a hyosung on craigslist

I always see them and go that Hyosung GT650R doesn't look THAT bad. Then I hear the stories and figure I'm sadly better off with a Suzuki.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DenizenKane posted:

He admitted to fault, so it's moot point.

I see what you did there.

Minkee posted:

I always see them and go that Hyosung GT650R doesn't look THAT bad. Then I hear the stories and figure I'm sadly better off with a Suzuki.

The up-to-date 650 has all the problems worked out and is generally a really good (if outdated) bike.

I'd rather stick forks in my eyes than own one of the earlier carburetted ones though.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I see what you did there.

The up-to-date 650 has all the problems worked out and is generally a really good (if outdated) bike.

I'd rather stick forks in my eyes than own one of the earlier carburetted ones though.

If they had ABS they'd be my next go-to bike.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Barnsy posted:

If they had ABS they'd be my next go-to bike.

Haha right, nobody *wants* a Hyosung.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

Haha right, nobody *wants* a Hyosung.

V twin, decent power, FI, good looks, for 6 grand out the door. It's nearest competitor is that horrid SV replacement, and you're looking at 4 grand more without ABS.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The FZ-07/MT-07 MSRP for $6990 and is a vastly better bike than the Hyosung. You can also get a CB500R for $6299 or a CB500F for sub $6k.

Nobody wants a Hyosung.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

The FZ-07/MT-07 MSRP for $6990 and is a vastly better bike than the Hyosung. You can also get a CB500R for $6299 or a CB500F for sub $6k.

Nobody wants a Hyosung.

1. The Fz-07 is not learner/restricted legal in countries with a non-idiotic licensing scheme

2. the CB500 has like 30 less horsepower, inferior brakes, inferior suspension and is a parallel twin for maximum lameness. ABS and being a Honda are the only things to recommend one.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

1. The Fz-07 is not learner/restricted legal in countries with a non-idiotic licensing scheme

2. the CB500 has like 30 less horsepower, inferior brakes, inferior suspension and is a parallel twin for maximum lameness. ABS and being a Honda are the only things to recommend one.

And for the same amount of money you can get basically anything used that isn't a high end Ducati or KTM.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nobody wants a Hyosung.

Mt-07 in Aus costs 10 grand out the door without ABS, and you get the lovely 660cc version with like 15kW less than the version everyone else gets. Getting a Hyosung means you have 4 grand spare cash for gear or upgrades or track days. Anyway, we're derailing the crashy thread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

And for the same amount of money you can get basically anything used that isn't a high end Ducati or KTM.

Yes but this applies to every new vehicle purchase of every kind so isn't really an argument for/against any particular model.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I just whale on my horn. gently caress em. I don't want to crash into their dumb rear end and that's what it's there for. Disclaimer: only works on bikes with a decent horn.

I gave up on giving people the benefit of the doubt so I just lay on my lovely DRZ horn and get ready to brake whenever I see a left turn signal or someone waiting to go straight across the road. I worked at Sturgis last year for a cruiser company as a salesman/installer and considered stealing a display air horn as a replacement.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Yes but this applies to every new vehicle purchase of every kind so isn't really an argument for/against any particular model.

Yeah, but with alot of bikes you can get a barely broken in model with, at most, dirty injectors and a bad battery for significantly less than MSRP. Not to mention fixing minor "used bike problems" is way easier for most people than fixing "10yr old car with 175kmi" problems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All true and part of what makes bikes fun for everyone, however:

New bikes are not made to compete with used bikes.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The only thing better than a lightly used new-to-you bike is an actually-new bike that nobody wanted on the showroom floor. Meet my CTX700ND, which I scored for $7k OTD (stickered at $8,799 MSRP).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Radbot posted:

The only thing better than a lightly used new-to-you bike is an actually-new bike that nobody wanted on the showroom floor. Meet my CTX700ND, which I scored for $7k OTD (stickered at $8,799 MSRP).

Dealer by me has like 6 Connie 14s like that, sticker on all of them is almost 17 and they want under 13.

Too bad the brakes scared me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The brakes?

• Locked thread