Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Toady One posted:

There are poets, bards and dancers running around in world gen now, all potential fort visitors. Next up they'll be producing little books, forming teacher-student links, and there'll be world gen festivals and competitions when appropriate for the entity. Perhaps a bit more, but I'll try to move on to fort mode promptly without getting mired down in world generation antics.

Dwarf Fortress 2015: A Renaissance Fair has Arrived

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Okay, there are a bunch of things that go into this (awesome explanation)

:aaaaa:

What a difference from Df2010. I have some experimenting to do! Thanks for the explanation. I kept restarting at 30-50 dwarves thinking "no thieves yet? Something's wrong."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's worth familiarizing yourself with creature_standard and entity_default if you want to run micro-forts. Besides goblins you might want to adjust megabeasts too, since they also have population and wealth requirements you may never meet otherwise.

Weirdly this doesn't apply to forgotten beasts (who show up whenever they want, once the cavern layer is opened) or titans (whose trigger settings can be adjusted at worldgen.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alehkhs posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2015: A Renaissance Fair has Arrived

Happy World Gen Festival everyone!

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I conscripted the majority of an immigration wave to a new squad at around +80 dwarves.

Why? Because 80% of the 10 man immigration wave were Gelders. Who brought no adult animals. They seemed to be lead by a High Master Gelder. HOW MANY POOR ANIMALS DO YOU HAVE TO GELD TO BECOME A HIGH MASTER???!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My latest fortress hasn't had a single tantrum ever since I appointed a legendary gelder as the Hammerer.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hammer-based gelding seems a bit harsh.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Next: procedural sports.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

Next: procedural sports.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hammer-based gelding seems a bit harsh.

The joke writes itself. :magical:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

The joke writes itself. :magical:

which reminds me : when are we getting procedurally-generated humor forms

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

How about procedural religion?

Deut 23:1 posted:

He who is emasculated by crushing or cutting shall not enter into Yahweh’s assembly.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

How about procedural religion?

Isn't there already procedural religion?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Isn't there already procedural religion?

Yes but I don't think there's anywhere near the degree of detail and mostly I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon for jokes about a gelder-Hammerer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does religion even have any effect in the game?

Personally I woulld appreciate less focus on procedurally generated filler that will be ignored once its novelty value diminishes, and more focus on polishing all the broken functional mechanics.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think you "get" dwarf fortress developer Toady One

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nietzschean posted:

I don't think you "get" dwarf fortress developer Toady One

I wish the main force behind the DF would stop being simultaneously its saboteur.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao if you think dwarf fortress would be even remotely what it is today without toady at the helm

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

I wish the main force behind the DF would stop being simultaneously its saboteur.

Look man the respective boiling temperatures and viscosities of cat blood and dwarf vomit are important. :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Excelzior posted:

forumid=219

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Personally I woulld appreciate less focus on procedurally generated filler that will be ignored once its novelty value diminishes, and more focus on polishing all the broken functional mechanics.

I agree, but you kinda have to accept that if you want a focused polished gameplay experience you need to play a different game :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Worth mentioning when you send in your donation, though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The reality is full of half-finished and glitchy mechanics, Dwarf Fortress is only reflecting that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Eh with DFhack you can basically make everything work as it should and I like that it's so feature dense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
DFhack fixes a lot of bugs, but that isn't the same as fixing the feast-or-famine resource mechanics, giving all the redundant industries a unique purpose, or stopping Toady from adding mechanics that have virtually zero effect on the player experience but still significantly contribute to FPS lag.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Subjunctive posted:

Worth mentioning when you send in your donation, though.

this pretty much, donate 10 bucks or more and they ask what drawing you want and you can just say whatever and they will most likely read. Personally I would focus not necessarily on polish but these kind of stuff that have almost no consequence gameplay wise is cool, and even I that absolute hate story in games like to read that stuff, but more gameplay features are much much more important to me.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
From the dance descriptions:

quote:

The kes is one of the fundamental dance positions. There should be a straight-lined raised left arm shadowed by group members.
Does Toady know this is one "proud feet with forward walks" away from a Nazi rally?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Games > Dwarf Fortress 2014: Proceduraly-generated Nazis

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

From the dance descriptions:

Does Toady know this is one "proud feet with forward walks" away from a Nazi rally?

Don't be stupid, be a smarty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
How do I find vaults? If it involves interrogating people, how do I do that?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Slaves to Armok would make a good band name.

Toady One posted:

I've finished up the teacher-student links and decided to augment that with the formation of performance troupes that can gallivant about. You'll also see them in your forts when we get to that part. A group of goblin poets had the honor of making the very first one, and they decided to call themselves the Fungi of Hell. After fourty years, five of the original eight founding members had met violent ends (including one that ended up in an elf belly), and another had left to become a baron at a dwarf fort, but they were still going strong with new members, including some bards and dancers and poets-turned-bard and so on.

After a typo, I managed to screw things up badly enough that my first large world test had hundreds of artists split into just three gigantic world-wide societies based on their art form, but I've put some controls on size and made them mix together properly again. It would have been bad to suddenly have two hundred dancers show up at the fort and ask for drinks after a performance.

Next up, the books! Then the festivals.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Assuming he makes them split into performance units of reasonable size, I don't see anything wrong with gigantic world-spanning art societies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Excelzior posted:

On the item is an engraving of dwarves. The dwarves are embarking with two cats. It is funny.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I think it does during worldgen, vampires are people who have been cursed by the gods and etc.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

On the item is an engraving of dwarves. The dwarves are embarking with two cats. It is funny.

This is Mo Mos, the deafening cry of humor, a masterwork joke about recursion, it bristles with references to Mo Mos, the deafening cry of humor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

In an older version of DFHack, in the Trade Depot interface, you used to be able to hit shift-enter to mark the current good for trading, then move down to the next one. Now, shift-enter selects all of the goods on one side. Is there a way to get the old behavior back, or assign it to a different key?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a way to use DF Hack or Dwarf Therapist to edit skill levels of my dwarves? I want to try starting a fortress with a single uber-dwarf that has 15 in every skill, and then a bunch of bumbling fools with no skills.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Glory of Arioch posted:

In an older version of DFHack, in the Trade Depot interface, you used to be able to hit shift-enter to mark the current good for trading, then move down to the next one. Now, shift-enter selects all of the goods on one side. Is there a way to get the old behavior back, or assign it to a different key?

Not sure about changing it, but Shift-UP/DOWN will select then move in that direction.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, the Shift-Enter thing is all Toady's doing. DFHack just changed around it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

necrotic posted:

Not sure about changing it, but Shift-UP/DOWN will select then move in that direction.

Sweet -- thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I keep scores of dogs penned up together in a pretty small space, and I've noticed that lots of them are getting injured (losing teeth especially) and some dying.

Are they fighting each other? Or taking damage from overcrowding somehow?