Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Balon posted:

Blue Regent:

Icefall Regent 3UU
Creature - Dragon
Rare
Flying
When Icefall Regent enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Icefall Regent.
Spells your opponents cast that target Icefall Regent cost 2 more to cast.
4/3

Kaervek's Dragon? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Dungeon Geists were quite good in the DKA days.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Zoness posted:

Zvi Moshowitz was like super mad about damnation for some reason (that I don't get) but whatever.

I think if they did a marketing ploy for tsp on the level of what they did for later (worse) sets it would have sold well but they're gonna call it a design flop and not a marketing flop either way.

Zvi was super mad about Damnation because he thought having the ability to play 8 wraths would create an environment that was extremely hostile to aggro decks. He was right.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ramos posted:

Saving the best for last. Guaranteed not only to shape standard but modern too, bringing its tutor into full view.

Well, considering the uncharted realms story, I want to see Vial Thrower. :3: She's alive after all. She should have a new card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Four Score posted:

The game before that, my opponent Bolted one Phantasmal Image, Remanded his Bolt, and Bolt the other Phantasmal Image (turning 12 unblockable damage into 2 chump damage).

How does it work, I thought that you technically didn't pick a target for a spell until it resolved?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Balon posted:

Blue Regent:

Icefall Regent 3UU
Creature - Dragon
Rare
Flying
When Icefall Regent enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Icefall Regent.
4/3

That seems decent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Balon posted:

Blue Regent:

Icefall Regent 3UU
Creature - Dragon
Rare
Flying
4/3

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

C-Euro posted:

How does it work, I thought that you technically didn't pick a target for a spell until it resolved?

Incorrect. Put on stack, choose modes, choose targets, pay costs.

I feel this compares favorably to Frost Titan. Not strictly better, maybe even a little worse, but comparable.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LordSaturn posted:

This is also true for activated abilities. Recurring nightmare, for example, cannot recur the creature that is sacrificed to activate it, even though the ability is kind of "ordered" like you think it should be able to. Because you must declare the target before you can put the ability on the stack, you can't target the creature that is being sacrificed to pay the costs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I feel this compares favorably to Frost Titan. Not strictly better, maybe even a little worse, but comparable.

I think it compares closer to that 3/3 for 2UU from DKA

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Which is why it causes so much confusion when a spell does something to a specific card without targeting it, or chooses targets in a weird way. Porphyry Nodes and Evangelize, respectively.

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Holds a thing tapped, is a good attacker, and puts a tax on spot removal" is similar to Frost Titan, c/d. C'mon, start an argument with me over which good card this is most similar to. :allears:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376317

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I wonder why its last ability doesn't affect all Dragons like Thunderbeak.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Which is why it causes so much confusion when a spell does something to a specific card without targeting it, or chooses targets in a weird way. Porphyry Nodes and Evangelize, respectively.

"Holds a thing tapped, is a good attacker, and puts a tax on spot removal" is similar to Frost Titan, c/d. C'mon, start an argument with me over which good card this is most similar to. :allears:

"holds a thing tapped forever, flies, has 3 toughness"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

"holds a thing tapped forever, flies, has 3 toughness"

*has frost titans protection.

Like come the gently caress on it's a hybrid of both it's not like either comparison is invalid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I can't tell, is Zurgo more like a Rakdos Cackler or more like an Ironclaw Orcs?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chamale posted:

I can't tell, is Zurgo more like a Rakdos Cackler or more like an Ironclaw Orcs?

Yes.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chamale posted:

First one...then the other.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sigma-X posted:

*has frost titans protection.
Which it doesn't, so let us enter the sperg zone

I want the thread title changed to "spoiler, argument stadium"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

With how many mtg threads this forum has gone through that isn't a spoiler

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Hell, flavor can be used to justify anything. Well, since blue has the flavor of reality warping, why doesn't blue have land ramp to show it warping the terrain.

Blue has terraforming effects because that fits Blue's flavour of shifting reality, not ramping, which represents the growth of nature.

Also, RE New Surrak;

Your opponent cracks a Perilous vault. You flash in EoT Boon Satyr. You then cast Surrak on your M1. That said I find him uninspired and boring, like most of Formidable.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 12, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rimusutera posted:

Also, RE New Surrak;

Your opponent cracks a Perilous vault. You flash in EoT Boon Satyr. You then cast Surrak on your M1. That said I find him uninspired and boring, like most of Formidable.

I like his art, and his stats for the mana cost.

Shame about the effect though, if he had trample I'd consider running him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rimusutera posted:

Blue has terraforming effects because that fits Blue's flavour of shifting reality, not ramping, which represents the growth of nature.

Also, RE New Surrak;

You still just ended up with a 5/4 haste for 2GG, which is fine, I guess, but not amazing.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Chamale posted:

One of his parents was an Ironclaw Orc. The other was Isamaru, Hound of Konda. Didn't you ever wonder why Tarkir orcs are white and kind of furry?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

qbert posted:

You still just ended up with a 5/4 haste for 2GG, which is fine, I guess, but not amazing.

Also he's just a 5/4 without haste if you didn't have that Boon Satyr to flash in.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

One of his parents was an Ironclaw Orc. The other was Isamaru, Hound of Konda. Didn't you ever wonder why Tarkir orcs are white and kind of furry?

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't explore Orcs more in this block, they hype up this grand return of a long unused race and then nothing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Eh it's close enough to warrant the comparison.

I wish they would show a card that looked modern playable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

Eh it's close enough to warrant the comparison.

I wish they would show a card that looked modern playable.

Atarka's Command looks pretty modern playable?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rending Volley is also definitely modern playable although it's not exactly exciting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When was the last red ritual printed? Is Wotc still okay w/ them?

Because this would be kinda cool:

T1 mountain #1, Swiftspear
T2 mountain #2, Desperate Ritual, into second Swiftspear, into DR, into Titan Strength, into Temur Battle Rage on the first Swiftspear

Defiant Strike and Dragon Mantle also help

Kind of like a combat based storm deck (very loosely speaking)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 12, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Rinkles posted:

Because this would be kinda cool:

T1 mountain #1, Swiftspear
T2 mountain #2, Desperate Ritual, into second Swiftspear, into DR, into Titan Strength, into Temur Battle Rage on the first Swiftspear

Defiant Strike and Dragon Mantle also help

Kind of like a combat based storm deck (very loosely speaking)
It doesn't run any rituals, but there is a deck right now that is rather close to what you described. It's called Suicide Zoo

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

Atarka's Command looks pretty modern playable?

Burn is already splashing green for sideboard destructive revelry, and Atarka's command is already a better skullcrack.....

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

From here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
^^ Looks sexy, I was just doing a bit of research on black card draw for a MBC list I want to try in Modern.

Rinkles posted:

Not for a while (unless I'm blanking on one), and probably not okay enough to print new ones. I think Wizards is doing its best to shy away from anything that produces more mana than it costs (pretending that lands cost 1), since those cards always find their way into combo decks to make them faster than Wizards likes. My theory, at least.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 12, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The face on that dragon though, ahahahaha.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wow, it took me a second to realize it targets players.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I believe it's Infernal Plunge and Battle Hymn in Innistrad (although I guess you could sortof count Dragonrage from FRF).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cool burn spell

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Wow, it took me a second to realize it targets players.

Mono Green Devotion splashing Black.

Secondary wincon is to Damnable Pact them for 20.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

This will go great in my Nekusar EDH deck. (did I do this right, RME)?

• Locked thread