Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

n8r posted:

The brakes?

The stoppy bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Thems the breaks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

n8r posted:

The brakes?

The linked front/rear. It sketched me the gently caress out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Had no idea the connie had those, I thought that folly was exclusive to Honda.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW has had several different versions of it. Most manufacturers have made something like it for some bike. I have an '84 Guzzi with "linked brakes" but all it is is that the rear master is designed for 2 calipers and it's linked to one of the front calipers as well as the rear. The front master runs the other front caliper.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The gen V VFR had them, and I thought they were just fine. It was a little weird if you stomped on just the rear brake that the front would dive a little, but why would you do that? Bleeding them is a little funky as well. Never noticed them when riding normally using the brakes like a normal person.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

n8r posted:

The gen V VFR had them, and I thought they were just fine. It was a little weird if you stomped on just the rear brake that the front would dive a little, but why would you do that? Bleeding them is a little funky as well. Never noticed them when riding normally using the brakes like a normal person.

The Connie didn't dip a little, it would really upset the front if you tried to trail brake, or even just drag it in slow speed maneuvers. Apparently the 2015 changed it finally, but it's a really common complaint on that bike.

I imagine I could get used to it, but the few miles I got to ride it just turned me off of it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Looks like people say it's the rear brake that causes problems. I am a front brake only dude above 10mph so I probably wouldn't notice it.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I own a '12. I think they added in adjustment at some point. Mine has two settings. It's not that bad on the lesser setting. I only notice it if I'm using the front and add in some rear I feel the front lever move. It's the only thing I don't love about the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Looks like people say it's the rear brake that causes problems. I am a front brake only dude above 10mph so I probably wouldn't notice it.

The problem, as I understand it, is when you're doing below 10mph and you want to pull into a park or something, so you try to use the rear brake to regulate your speed like a normal person and the front suddenly grabs and you fall over. I don't see the linkedness being an issue at all when you're doing a decent clip.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Only time I ever use the rear brake these days is if I want the rear to step out. Otherwise it's only front for me, regardless of speed.

I guess I'm some kind of reverse Harley rider?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Front only seems to work fine on large, powerful bikes that have a habit of lifting/locking the rear (from engine braking), but on small poo poo ones you just don't get 100% braking if you only use the front. That's been my experience with every bike I've ever ridden.

Rear brake at low speed is just easy and convenient and the way I've trained myself because so many intersections seem to be on a slight slope and I'm too lazy to put both feet down and hold the bike still rather than just stamping on the rear brake and slouching like a drunk.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I crashed back in October. First time in 13 years of riding. I was making. Left hand turn onto. Freeway on ramp across 3 lanes, from a stop light. There must have been a really light oil slick across the lanes because the bike just slid out from under me. My wife and I kind of jumped off (we were probably going 10 MPH) but we were stupidly only wearing jackets/helmets/gloves. We used to never leave the house without full gear, but sold most of our stuff when we moved to Phoenix, and hadn't bought it back since moving to Colorado. Wife got her knee ripped up and has a dark scar there now. I luckily landed more on my elbow and the jacket and armor took the brunt, but my thigh slammed against the handlebar and I had a big contusion there for awhile.

All in all I'm glad we hit that red light, because we could have been going much faster and it could have been much worse. I garaged the bike until we had gear, and just got a Teiz Lombard, so it will be coming back out soon.
The left front signal got smashed, the left peg got tweaked and I can't take my left saddlebag off anymore, but it works fine so I'm just never riding without them anymore!

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Always apprehensive to open this thread after it has been quiet for a while because new activity means someone went down.

Glad to hear you came out OK!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Sport touring tires suck in the snow. The weather said there'd be a chance of light snow in the afternoon, so I thought why not check out the new heated gear on the way home. Well, the farther north I got the closer to a blizzard it became. I had to get slower and slower because the PR4 would lose traction and spin, ended up doing about 25mph and hit a slicker spot and high sided.

A guy and his wife stopped and helped me get the bike up and started, so I rode it home, occasionally scraping ice off the outside and inside of the vizor.

Have a sore right hip and need a new windshield, front turn signal, lock on the right Givi and need to tweak the forks I think, the handlebar is crooked. The engine guard did it's job, it got scraped up, but the bodywork is ok.

The heated gear works great.

Edit
This poo poo.
http://www.whio.com/news/news/breaking-news/several-car-pile-up-in-shelby-county/nkc58/

Editx2
Someone on FB saw me a couple minutes before this.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 24, 2015

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: nm

xtal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 12, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Did you piss off a gypsy or something?

Sweet poo poo, that looks horrible. What happened leading up to the accident?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
drat, this is remarkably similar to my clavicle snap, floating fragment and all. Didn't believe him at the time, but the cranky old doc said all the bits would eventually find each other and fuse back together on their own. And they did.

Welcome back.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy. poo poo. That hurts just to look at. Glad you're healed back up.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Screw that for a joke.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

DenizenKane posted:

I got one, but it's pretty tame. It happened about an hour ago as I was leaving work (I'm in Western Australia). I was approaching a roundabout,

Perth riders, whattup?

Roundabouts and merging mean nothing to drivers here.

Lord Dangleberry
Mar 29, 2007

um jist...ecstaticly happy
I forgot about this forum and this thread. Unfortunately I have an addition.

Date: 23/05/14 Time: 06:30 Location: Melbourne

On my way to work in the morning on my GXSF commuting bike on my 35km trip. It's pouring of rain and pitch black, but luckily the roads are fairly quiet at this time. I'm around 10 minutes from work on an 80kmph highway. After 7:00am, the left lane of the highway becomes a clearway, but up until then there's generally one or two cars parked in the left most of the 3 lanes.

I'm going around the speed limit in the left lane and come over the crest of a hill. I'm clearly zoned out/not paying attention, as when I come over the crest there's a parked car in the left lane, maybe around 100 meters down. Had I been paying attention, I had plenty of time to change lanes, but nope, I notice the parked car around 2 seconds before I slammed into it. I did manage to steer a little to the right, meaning I hit the right rear of the car, and also meaning I was launched into the middle of the road, with my bike somewhere behind. I had enough time to think "awww fuuu-" before an Audi TT traveling in the middle lane ran over me.

As it was my legs and pelvis that were run over, I didn't lose consciousness, so I was able to think "ah gently caress this is bad". At the time, I could feel my leg was broken, but pain didn't get me as the adrenaline kept it at bay, but man was I shuddering like crazy. A paramedic on the way to work was one of the first responders, and the ambulance was there in around 15-20 minutes.

Damage to the bike: written off. As well as slamming the parked car, the Audi which ran over me also hit my bike.

Damage to me: broken right distal femur, broken sacrum, broken coccyx, broken right pelvic ring, broken pubic rami, broken left illiac wing.
I had 2 surgeries, one to fix my femur and one for the pelvis. I now have a rod and screws in my femur, and a plate and screws in my right hip. I had an external fixation for 8 weeks in my pelvis. The rod in my femur should eventually be removed.

I spent 10 days in an acute hospital, and 3 months in rehab hospital. Wheelchair for those 3 months in rehab, and crutches for a further 4 months (2 crutches then down to 1). I now have no walking aids, but I still have a slight limp, which will go away.

Cost: $0. In Victoria, Australia, if you pay your registration, the cost of all transport related accidents and rehab/medications/anything relating to the accident is covered by the transport accident commision (TAC).

TLDR: I got complacent on my daily commute and was lucky not to kill myself.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lord Dangleberry posted:

I forgot about this forum and this thread. Unfortunately I have an addition.

Date: 23/05/14 Time: 06:30 Location: Melbourne

On my way to work in the morning on my GXSF commuting bike on my 35km trip. It's pouring of rain and pitch black, but luckily the roads are fairly quiet at this time. I'm around 10 minutes from work on an 80kmph highway. After 7:00am, the left lane of the highway becomes a clearway, but up until then there's generally one or two cars parked in the left most of the 3 lanes.

I'm going around the speed limit in the left lane and come over the crest of a hill. I'm clearly zoned out/not paying attention, as when I come over the crest there's a parked car in the left lane, maybe around 100 meters down. Had I been paying attention, I had plenty of time to change lanes, but nope, I notice the parked car around 2 seconds before I slammed into it. I did manage to steer a little to the right, meaning I hit the right rear of the car, and also meaning I was launched into the middle of the road, with my bike somewhere behind. I had enough time to think "awww fuuu-" before an Audi TT traveling in the middle lane ran over me.

As it was my legs and pelvis that were run over, I didn't lose consciousness, so I was able to think "ah gently caress this is bad". At the time, I could feel my leg was broken, but pain didn't get me as the adrenaline kept it at bay, but man was I shuddering like crazy. A paramedic on the way to work was one of the first responders, and the ambulance was there in around 15-20 minutes.

Damage to the bike: written off. As well as slamming the parked car, the Audi which ran over me also hit my bike.

Damage to me: broken right distal femur, broken sacrum, broken coccyx, broken right pelvic ring, broken pubic rami, broken left illiac wing.
I had 2 surgeries, one to fix my femur and one for the pelvis. I now have a rod and screws in my femur, and a plate and screws in my right hip. I had an external fixation for 8 weeks in my pelvis. The rod in my femur should eventually be removed.

I spent 10 days in an acute hospital, and 3 months in rehab hospital. Wheelchair for those 3 months in rehab, and crutches for a further 4 months (2 crutches then down to 1). I now have no walking aids, but I still have a slight limp, which will go away.

Cost: $0. In Victoria, Australia, if you pay your registration, the cost of all transport related accidents and rehab/medications/anything relating to the accident is covered by the transport accident commision (TAC).

TLDR: I got complacent on my daily commute and was lucky not to kill myself.

Hoooly shiiit :stonk: So glad to hear you're nearly healed up. Modern medicine is goddamn amazing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy loving poo poo dude.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Lord Dangleberry posted:

Goddamn, I want to leave my lovely third world country.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
was it a woman driving the audi that ran you over

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat :stare:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Razzled posted:

was it a woman driving the audi that ran you over

It wasn't her fault you guys, she had to reply to that Facebook post.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So you smashed into an Audi and then got run over by one, too?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Thank god for the Australian medical system, if you were American you'd be happier with death.

Glad to hear you are ok. What was up with the driver parked in the road?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo... glad you're still alive!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Gadzooks man, those are bones I never knew existed. Enjoy and do some good with Your Life, Part II, and maybe take up something less dangerous than traveling on Aussie roads, like cliff diving.

In the U.S., fear of having to navigate through insurance and hospital bureaucracies is an invisible hand that helps reduce motorcycle accidents. Reported accidents, that is.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Glad you're recovering, and it's loving amazing you got the TAC to actually pay out for treatment early enough to prevent permanent damage.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

You literally broke your rear end, nice. Glad you're ok.

Lord Dangleberry
Mar 29, 2007

um jist...ecstaticly happy

Radbot posted:

So you smashed into an Audi and then got run over by one, too?

Nah, was a Holden I smashed into.

Chichevache posted:

What was up with the driver parked in the road?

It was legally parked, this particular part of the highway becomes a clearway after 07:00am, so it was allowed to park there until then (I crashed into it at around 06:30).

Yeah modern medicine/surgery is amazing, shows how much you can damage yourself and still come through it. Physiotherapy is so drat important right from the very start too, I can't emphasise that enough. My time in rehab was a real eye-opener. Met more than a few young guys who also had motorcycle accidents and were missing limbs. I'm lucky to not only have full use of my limbs, but also have no chronic pain, which is amazing considering how many bones I broke.

'Nemesis posted:

You literally broke your rear end, nice. Glad you're ok.
Guess what caused me easily the most pain in the early days. Yep, never break your rear end folks.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Are you riding again? I think a big off like that would end my riding career. I'm always curious when guys get banged up that hard if things change for them regarding motorcycles.

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 29, 2015

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I cant speak for anyone else, but I was back in the saddle as fast as possible. In September '13 I was hit and run over breaking all the bones in my right leg and collapsing my lung. On Christmas eve I had my last surgery and by the second week of January I was riding around my property starting and stopping by leaning on a rail or barn. (Post in dirtbiek thread) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=435068522#post435068522

In '06 I was hit by a 16 year old girl in a year old Benz breaking 7 ribs, right radius and ulna, hand, collar bone, jaw, orbital, and ruptured my perineum.

Gotta get back on the horse.

(Im a glutton for punishment)

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 29, 2015

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

bird cooch posted:

I cant speak for anyone else, but I was back in the saddle as fast as possible. In September '13 I was hit and run over breaking all the bones in my right leg and collapsing my lung. On Christmas eve I had my last surgery and by the second week of January I was riding around my property starting and stopping by leaning on a rail or barn. (Post in dirtbiek thread) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=435068522#post435068522

In '06 I was hit by a 16 year old girl in a year old Benz breaking 7 ribs, right radius and ulna, hand, collar bone, jaw, orbital, and ruptured my perineum.

Gotta get back on the horse.

(Im a glutton for punishment)

:eyepop: Holy poo poo dude. I'm all about getting back on the horse, but after those two incidents I wouldn't expect anyone to want to ride again. That jeep bailing is all kinds of hosed up too.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I have a similar xray with screws and scaffold, but that was a car crash so not relevant here. (accelerator pedal wasn't one of the modern ones that retract)

I've never had a bone poking out, that would freak me the gently caress out.

Glad to see the extensive lists of broken bits have all healed up. Keep up the good work.

Here's hoping the law if averages stays on all your sides for a long time to come, you've well earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

url posted:

accelerator pedal wasn't one of the modern ones that retract

I've never heard of this. When did pedals not retract?

• Locked thread