Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can buy waterslide transfer printer paper too if you're really desperate for them. There are places that do custom sheets if you want to spend more and get better results either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The problem with that is you can't print white, and the white waterside transfers (the ones I bought a few years back, anyway) are super thick and hard to work with.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I used decals a while back for some 40k tanks. For white, I just outlined whatever I needed in the same color I was painting, then painted white underneath that on the spot. Some blending goes a long way with that, obviously.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Generally I'd say to order from somewhere that carries a wide selection of miniatures for your initial order and then patch things up with a few specialty orders from BF/eBay/etc. Warweb does Old Glory, QC and True North for instance. I like all those manufacturers, but I realize many people do not. The important part really is making sure your infantry and crews are all from the same manufacturer, after that where you get stuff isn't as important.

How has your turnaround time been with Warweb when ordering Old Glory? Their statement about casting everything after you order it makes me think they have a weeks long fulfillment time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

nesbit37 posted:

How has your turnaround time been with Warweb when ordering Old Glory? Their statement about casting everything after you order it makes me think they have a weeks long fulfillment time.

Both Warweb and OldGlory15's have a pretty long turn around from what I remember, a few weeks isn't out of the question. It's an unfortunate side effect of dealing with a lot of historicals manufacturers, they often cast to order because that's the only way to have a large range and also be profitable (since you can just store your thousands of wheel molds in a storage locker and have old Grognard Steve drive out there once a week to get all the one's you need for that round of casts). Obviously companies with real production lines and such don't have this issue (BF, PSC, Perry, Zvezda, etc etc) but for things like Peter Pig, QC and Old Glory it can sometimes be annoying to pay for a thing and then wait a month and a half for it to finally arrive.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Sounds good, I don't mind the wait as long as I know about it. Amazon and many other online retailers have really ruined shipping patience if the communication isn't good. I don't think I've had to wait more than a week for things to ship since the late 80s early 90s when I had to mail order figures from a butcher paper catalog.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

nesbit37 posted:

I don't think I've had to wait more than a week for things to ship since the late 80s early 90s when I had to mail order figures from a butcher paper catalog.

Yeah, most historicals companies are still in this phase, just in a digital format. Warweb is pretty ghetto as far as site design goes but its better than, uh, this.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah, most historicals companies are still in this phase, just in a digital format. Warweb is pretty ghetto as far as site design goes but its better than, uh, this.

Peter Pig: great minis, run by an absolutely great bloke, but that website...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Sure but amazing service. I can kind of forgive a lovely design if they give great customer service and most of these small home grown company is do.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Sure but amazing service. I can kind of forgive a lovely design if they give great customer service and most of these small home grown company is do.

I also have had some mail contact with them, and they seem to be genuinely nice people. Most of these small garage sized companies are doing what they can with the resources they have, they're just not always that hip to new things. Thinking of it, every time I've been in contact with any of these small companies like Bacchus or Museum Miniatures, they've been absolutely pleasant to deal with.

In my case my site was made by a friend in webdesign who just did it for me as a fun side project, but we're not all so lucky. Now he wants to re-do it with responsive web design, which would be quite unique in this field indeed.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

It's sometimes odd though because on the other side of it Baccus for example have been leading the way in using modern technology, for example they have started selling army sets with a usb flash drive in the box with all the rules on, Too Fat Lardies have been doing hyperlinked tablet designed rule books for a while now, streets ahead of big companies like Battlefront or Privateer Press etc.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone have any experiences ordering from NWS Games?

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/boacsese.html

I saw some people recommending them on bartertown and their prices are great, but their website does not inspire confidence.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Flippycunt posted:

Anyone have any experiences ordering from NWS Games?

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/boacsese.html

I saw some people recommending them on bartertown and their prices are great, but their website does not inspire confidence.

I've ordered a couple of things from them before, via their eBay store. Both my Plastic Soldier Company 28mm Soviet anti-tank guns and my Warlord Games T-34/76 were purchased through them, and no problems either time. In fact, I just ordered some more PSC Soviets from them (the "heavy weapons" set), so I'll update if I run into any hurdles this time around (though I don't expect any).

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I have ordered a lot from them and have always gotten very good service. They are responsive as well.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
FoW Update as it's possibly relevant to people who are discussing getting into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amZobGC8itQ

No word if it's the updated plastics, but sounds like maybe one or two things added in that weren't there before (of minimal value, methinks). Otherwise, the end of the video seems to hint at a whole Open Fire! product line, which sounds pretty fun. I'm thinking of staying in Taiwan another year, I may use this to send crap out my way, even if it's just to build poo poo while I'm here.

Otherwise, for us veterans:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4807

If these single-piece castings all come out as crisp as that jeep, this can only be a good thing. For Battlefront's bottom line that is, I think all my budget plans are crying right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Aw man... that looks super pretty. drat my buying all the Kubelwagens I will ever need a couple of years back.

Well... I guess I haven't painted them yet...

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If prices stay similar I might buy a bunch of UCs to do a Razvedki company.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Guess what time it is?

It is time to finally get enough painted to do two opposing 6mm armies for both medieval Japan and Napoleonics. First out is roughly 20-25 bases of ashigaru missile troops.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I'm thinking of getting into Bolt Action and more specifically SAS, Red Devils or commandos. How viable would this be? Also, where's a good place to get 28mm British units for cheapish?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Warlord makes a neat plastic British Commando kit to get you started. I haven't checked around, but I don't think you can get a better price than £1 a bloke in 28mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Their metals aren't much more expensive either IIRC. I grabbed a pack of Paras when I was in Belfast a couple of years back because... well, they were there. Still not even undercoated them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

I grabbed a pack of Paras when I was in Belfast

:drat:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

lilljonas posted:

Guess what time it is?

It is time to finally get enough painted to do two opposing 6mm armies for both medieval Japan and Napoleonics. First out is roughly 20-25 bases of ashigaru missile troops.

I'm prepping to do my WWI BEF next month.

Hmm. Divisional.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I knew it'd payoff to leave the joke unspoken.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Just bit the bullet and ordered several thousand little dudes for Diadochi/Alexander's Successors wargames.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Is http://war-bases.co.uk/ the best option if I want a ton of thin DBA-sized lasercut bases, but not pay Litko for shipping across the pond?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Finished my first ever historical painting project. Any feedback on what I can do better?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Unzip and Attack posted:

Finished my first ever historical painting project. Any feedback on what I can do better?

Have you tried using washes before? Citadel washes like Agrax earthshade are an easy way to add depth and dimension to your figures. You can go back over with your basecoat after and pick out the raised areas.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ze4TtdP4k

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Looks good! Those are absolutely table-ready, and that's a great base.

If you want to punch them up a bit, two easy things are:
- Wash some Army Painter Soft Tone on the faces and hands, maybe in the recesses of the clothes.
- When that's dry, use a slightly lighter shade to pick out highlights on the clothes and bows. (It looks like you may have done this for some of guys already.)

Also check our very own Oath and miniatures painting threads. Both are great tools and really helpful resources.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Thanks guys. My main problem is that I'm soooo slow at doing this. Took me a full week to paint these guys and I think I did a ghetto brown wash for a couple of them but just didn't notice a huge difference so I skipped doing the rest. I'll definitely give those two recommends for washes a try. Thanks for the compliments on the base! I think I have more fun doing the bases and planning out how the units will look than actually painting the figs.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Thanks guys. My main problem is that I'm soooo slow at doing this. Took me a full week to paint these guys and I think I did a ghetto brown wash for a couple of them but just didn't notice a huge difference so I skipped doing the rest. I'll definitely give those two recommends for washes a try. Thanks for the compliments on the base! I think I have more fun doing the bases and planning out how the units will look than actually painting the figs.

Don't worry, if you keep a pace that is higher than one day per mini, you're way ahead of a lot of people. And you'll get faster when you get more experienced. I agree with previous posters that they look great, and experimenting with washes will probably be a good next step that might even make you paint faster too.

And yes, a good base will make your models look great, as in your example, and unpainted or poorly done bases can drag down the best mini.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 21, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Seconding the advice to do a wash. They look perfectly good otherwise. I'm jealous of the older historical modellers, all of my figures have to be relatively drab, aside from the occasional Cossack.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

lilljonas posted:

Is http://war-bases.co.uk/ the best option if I want a ton of thin DBA-sized lasercut bases, but not pay Litko for shipping across the pond?
They've always been good for me, for standard sizes and a few weird custom bases.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I plan to order a buttload of DBA sized and custom weirdass stuff from them soon myself actually, so I'll report back on that when they arrive.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I missed the update on Thursday because of ~reasons~, but looks like my suspicions were confirmed. The new Open Fire! set has the updated plastics for the Shermans and StuGs. Also, no mini-rulebook, only the trimmed down Open Fire rule book and the Forces book, both of which are available for free as a download. I like that if you take a Super Pershing you can actually take another Pershing with it so it's not all by itself like in the Remagen book. Also, wasted opportunity in not having a Russian Lend-Lease company so you could use the Shermans in the box.

And again, looks like there's going to be a whole line of "Open Fire" add on products. I actually kinda like the idea, makes it much easier and feels less daunting for a new player. If I had this back when I was in college some 8 years ago, I bet I probably could've converted a couple of my 40k buddies to FoW.

Oy, I just wish there was a historicals scene here and I could get a game in...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The Open Fire Forces book is... a thing alright. No special rules, no options, just take your tanks and start making "pew pew" noises. I don't think it's gonna end up being really cross-compatible with the standard game (As they appear to be marketing Open Fire as its own thing, which is... interesting), but if it does there are some fun options in there-cheap(er) Comets* and Pershings, 2-tank platoons for Germans, and, weirdly, 2iCs and no Hens and Chicks for Russians. Hooray?

*Comets are also FA 8 for some reason.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 23, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Open Fire Forces book is... a thing alright. No special rules, no options, just take your tanks and start making "pew pew" noises. I don't think it's gonna end up being really cross-compatible with the standard game (As they appear to be marketing Open Fire as its own thing, which is... interesting), but if it does there are some fun options in there-cheap(er) Comets* and Pershings, 2-tank platoons for Germans, and, weirdly, 2iCs and no Hens and Chicks for Russians. Hooray?

*Comets are also FA 8 for some reason.

I noticed that, too. It seems to be FoW whittled down to it's core elements, which is fine in my opinion. There are a lot of special rules to deal with and this seems the best way to get yourself good at the basics before expanding into the more complicated mess. I almost wish I could be back home to run an Open Fire! campaign to draw in new players, because I know my old LGS would bollocks that up pretty easily. But the problem would be having to go to the old LGS. I think it'll be a great way to ease new players into the system, you just have to have at least one or two veterans willing to play Open Fire to help the new guys out (something the folks at my old LGS would be unwilling to do).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Getting a major itch to do English Civil War in 15mm. Then I remembered about 15 yrs ago me and 2 mates bought some models ( me Scots Covenanters, them New Model Army and Royalists). We dug them all out and I'm going to have to go a painting and buying to flesh out what I have. Looks like there's much more choice out there these days.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My Fire & Sword Deluge stuff arrived! :toot:

Man, this poo poo is bananas. The Transylvanian cavalry came with brass spears - with drilled steel ball bearing counterweights. The Polish peasant levy has metal sprues of farmer weapons. The faces are pretty well defined for 15mm, the book is gorgeous, if somewhat quirky. (Personal nouns are capitalized, but otherwise everything I've read seems perfectly translated.)

And all the crap metal bases from the first releases have been replaced with black plastic ones. And one surprise bonus was several sheets of full color standards.

Can't wait to get dug into this, I just need to finish moving house first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Capitalizing all Nouns is historically accurate.