Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

wow nice humblebrag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dumb question, but when buying refurb Wiimotes from Nintendo, is the color of the wiimote what's in the picture? Or is what I get random?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I get like 7-10 people over at my place on Monday nights to play Mario Kart/Smash/Nintendoland :shobon:

I miss those days.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Please play whatever game you enjoy

Are you insane? You can only play the games on the SA approved list.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I ordered that Wii U + Nintendoland/Super Mario 3D World bundle as well as Mario Kart 8 from the Nintendo refurbished store, and everything just showed up. Thought I'd check in with a few thoughts in case other people were thinking about doing the same.

- The system is pristine. Doesn't look like it's been touched before. Aside from the largely plain white box it came in, it's pretty much a new console.

- The game also appears to be new, or at least it doesn't have a single blemish on the disc. The case itself is sort of interesting because it's got the normal Mario Kart 8 box art, overlaid with a red horizontal graphic that denotes it as refurbished.

- No Club Nintendo coins. Not that I was expecting any, but it would have been a pleasant surprise.

Overall I'm impressed. I don't know if this is the standard or I'm lucky, but it seems on par with my experience ordering from Apple's refurbished store.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Overall I'm impressed. I don't know if this is the standard or I'm lucky, but it seems on par with my experience ordering from Apple's refurbished store.

That's pretty much the standard. That's how my refurb from last July came.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

When it's Friday, find a TV or projector at the office, and set up for Mario Kart.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

- No Club Nintendo coins. Not that I was expecting any, but it would have been a pleasant surprise.

You may still get those when you link your system to CL and make/link a NNID. My friends did with their refurbished Wii U.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I ordered that Wii U + Nintendoland/Super Mario 3D World bundle as well as Mario Kart 8 from the Nintendo refurbished store, and everything just showed up. Thought I'd check in with a few thoughts in case other people were thinking about doing the same.

My second try (see post last page) at an order is still listed as pending, but now both Refurbished Sets look to be out of stock on the site. C'mon Nintendo, don't do me like that ... SHIP IT SHIP IT, you've already charged me for it.

pvax fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 11, 2015

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

pvax posted:

My second try (see post last page) at an order is still listed as pending, but now both Refurbished Sets look to be out of stock on the site. C'mon Nintendo, don't do me like that ... SHIP IT SHIP IT, you've already charged me for it.

I ordered mine on Sunday and didn't get shipping confirmation til today at noon so it takes awhile.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Apparently people already have their smash CD's? I haven't gotten an e-mail saying mine was shipped.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Austrian mook posted:

Apparently people already have their smash CD's? I haven't gotten an e-mail saying mine was shipped.

Yep, received mine just over a week ago.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah I don't think they're sending any shipping emails, mine arrived a couple of days ago

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I don't think they're sending any shipping emails, mine arrived a couple of days ago

They sent emails to some people (I got one) but I had no way of checking its location since they never gave any way to track it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mine arrived, I keep forgetting to open it though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It wasn't a good choice since it completely removed freedom from the game, you only had the set path you were given and no deviations, so if one level bored you/was too tough then gently caress you, can't skip it, gotta get at least one star before moving on.

3D World fixed that and got it right, but Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy were still the best.

Is there anyone who cares enough to think about this but doesn't just beat all the levels anyway though?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I just want to listen to the soundtrack on the bus and have holded off of torrenting the thing because I'm getting the CD shipped over.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am doing the exact opposite. The box looks nice on my desk, tho!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I got my smash soundtrack today.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I received mine, and threw it away. It's all on Youtube if I feel like I need to listen to the music again.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
You could've at least sold it to somebody who really, desperately wanted the CD for some reason.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could have glued it to your Wii U.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Theta Zero posted:

You could've at least sold it to somebody who really, desperately wanted the CD for some reason.

If they really wanted it they should have just bought both copies of Smash 4 like the rest of us.

I listened to it, it didn't have anything that wasn't on Youtube for like two months prior. That's why I tossed it out.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

RyokoTK posted:

If they really wanted it they should have just bought both copies of Smash 4 like the rest of us.

I listened to it, it didn't have anything that wasn't on Youtube for like two months prior. That's why I tossed it out.

whoa, literally? I would have taken it since i missed the deadline for it, I like weird collectibles even if their use is available for free online

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm sorry, I would have mailed it to a grateful goon if I had thought of it, but I was cleaning up and wasn't thinking at the time.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

RyokoTK posted:

I'm sorry, I would have mailed it to a grateful goon if I had thought of it, but I was cleaning up and wasn't thinking at the time.

You could have written "Rosalina amiibo" on it and made millions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It wasn't a good choice since it completely removed freedom from the game, you only had the set path you were given and no deviations, so if one level bored you/was too tough then gently caress you, can't skip it, gotta get at least one star before moving on.

3D World fixed that and got it right, but Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy were still the best.

There were as many branching paths in Galaxy 2 as there were in 3D World.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

RyokoTK posted:

Yes, I, too, expected the OST to have tracks not in the games.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

RyokoTK posted:

It's a cool little showpiece, if nothing else, I really like the design of the cover art.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I really enjoy the "New" Super Mario series, and hold up New U a lot closer to 3D World than most. I'm a sucker for the SMW style of Mario gameplay, and I love secret exits (which 3D Land and World don't have). The "New" games just suffer for having the same aesthetic for 4 straight games, on four separate platforms. SMB 1-3 mixed things up a lot with the overall look and feel, and they all came out for the same console!

After playing a few NSMB games, even if they were really good, it's hard to express just how fresh 3D World felt. And I think some people retroactively rate the NSMB games worse because of that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Minidust posted:

...and I love secret exits (which 3D Land and World don't have).

There are a few.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Astro7x posted:

There are a few.
Well I know they have secret levels/worlds, but are there actual secret flagpoles you can reach within a level?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just finished up New Super Mario Bros 2 (2DS) and it mishandles secret exits. Badly.

gently caress hiding every other exit in a hidden block that creates a vine. Jesus H guys, what the christ.

Also, if you enjoyed any of the new super mario games you really need to give the fan-made Newer super mario game a try. A lifetime of playing bad mods on the pc made me reticent, but the level design is Nintendo-quality. And they actually created new world backgrounds and themes and enemies - without the whole enterprise turning into some kaizo hard bullshit.

I'm terrible with technology and didn't know a thing about modding, but was able to get Newer running in about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Narcissus1916 posted:

I just finished up New Super Mario Bros 2 (2DS) and it mishandles secret exits. Badly.

gently caress hiding every other exit in a hidden block that creates a vine. Jesus H guys, what the christ.

Also, if you enjoyed any of the new super mario games you really need to give the fan-made Newer super mario game a try. A lifetime of playing bad mods on the pc made me reticent, but the level design is Nintendo-quality. And they actually created new world backgrounds and themes and enemies - without the whole enterprise turning into some kaizo hard bullshit.

I'm terrible with technology and didn't know a thing about modding, but was able to get Newer running in about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

I had heard about this awhile ago, but avoided it for the reasons you mentioned. I might check it out...eventually.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
So I often frequent Gametrailers, more out of habit than anything else. Currently they are making Tropical Freeze sound like the second coming.

Can I get some impressions from the thread? Is it top tier?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yes. Buy it now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Manac0r posted:

So I often frequent Gametrailers, more out of habit than anything else. Currently they are making Tropical Freeze sound like the second coming.

Can I get some impressions from the thread? Is it top tier?

It is top tier. Get it if you like challenging platformers.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's really good. Fantastic level design and stellar soundtrack. It's one of the best platformers on the Wii U, if not the best depending on who you talk to.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers ever GET IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's good. You'll enjoy it a lot more if you don't care about collecting puzzle pieces (they only unlock art anyway). If you still want to unlock additional game content you'll just need to collect the K O N G letters in each stage, but these are usually not hidden. Instead they are placed in a way that makes them challenging or risky to grab.

Also all of the bosses take way too long to fight, but there's nothing you can do about that. Even excellent speed runners have to spend a lot of time just waiting for their long rear end attack patterns to finish for there to be an opening.

Don't be too ashamed to buy some items from Funky to help you out.

• Locked thread