Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Two Tone Shoes posted:

N: Pelicans actually finally the 8 seed!

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SQa48DcX1E
i love this video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

can we make pimp pelican the thread title

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Jeff Green is sneaky good.... well, I just don't see how he couldn't be a really good third scorer on a good.... I just think Blake Griffin should come off the bench as an energy guy

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

straight up brolic posted:

i love this video

Pelicans actually rule despite the public's stupid opinions.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And before the new CBA was ratified last week, there was no Free Agency whatsoever.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BIZORT posted:

Jeff Green is sneaky good.... well, I just don't see how he couldn't be a really good third scorer on a good.... I just think Blake Griffin should come off the bench as an energy guy

Simmons reaction to the Afflalo trade was, "I like it for Portland, but don't see why they wouldn't have given up a 1st for Jeff Green instead"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Within two possesions, Hinrich fell down while attempting to dribble, put a sweet move on some crappy sixer defender, airballed a jumper off the dribble, attempted to take a charge from Canaan, and then got hit in the head with a ball when Canaan threw it at him in disgust.

A Hinrich Hat Trick

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Within two possesions, Hinrich fell down while attempting to dribble, put a sweet move on some crappy sixer defender, airballed a jumper off the dribble, attempted to take a charge from Canaan, and then got hit in the head with a ball when Canaan threw it at him in disgust.

A Hinrich Hat Trick

https://vine.co/v/O9ODAnnnemB
https://vine.co/v/O9OIEi1vvPM

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This makes me happier than it should.

Edit: https://vid.me/RC4O

big boi fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 12, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PantsFreeZone posted:

Sooooooooo are the Nuggets just going to keep the interim guy?

They can't get D'Antoni yet without paying the Lakers.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Celtics 8th seed.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

double dip posted:

Celtics 8th seed.

Actually 10th, but who is keeping track really?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for all the Bird discussion everyone, it was enlightening

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Igor Strelkov posted:

Thanks for all the Bird discussion everyone, it was enlightening

If you're talking about the pimp pelican I agree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wonder how the Celtics would feel about making the playoffs, especially since a lot of the things they bet on happening this season didn't, which has pushed most of their picks that seemed good at the time to next year (and they lose Miami's pick all-together if the season ends right now). It's not the end of the world since they may have like 6 picks next year instead but the internet seems to believe next year's going to be a worse draft than this year so maybe having at least one lottery pick this year would be beneficial.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The NBA widened the lane in 1951-52 because of George Mikan to 12 feet, then later to 16 because of Wilt Chamberlain. It remains 12 feet in the NCAA.

Mikan caused a lot of rule changes as he was the first really dominant big man.

Here's a history of NCAA rule changes. And one of women's as those rules were markedly different. My grandmother, who played in the 1930s, was a side center.

This is more interesting than I thought it would be. I was always confused why free throws were sometimes displayed as "1 + 1 bonus" or whatever. Guess it's a notational relic.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Corey Brewer scored like a million points in the last two minutes tonight.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kevin Martin has been scoring like 20 points per game and not taking any threes since he came back, it's really odd.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

attackmole posted:

This is more interesting than I thought it would be. I was always confused why free throws were sometimes displayed as "1 + 1 bonus" or whatever. Guess it's a notational relic.

What? The one and one freethrow is when the first freethrow is a live ball and you have to make it to get a second. It's not a relic. You get two after enough fouls.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Blazers logo could be seen to be a very stylized basketball.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Best defensive seasons ever by basketball reference's awesome bpm stat

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html

best offensive

Ben Wallace is awesome, Tmac is awesome

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bashez posted:

What? The one and one freethrow is when the first freethrow is a live ball and you have to make it to get a second. It's not a relic. You get two after enough fouls.

The NBA does not have a 1+1. Preps and college, of course, do. I assume that's the confusion.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

glowing-fish posted:

Nuggets alternate logo has a basketball

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

BIZORT posted:

The minimum for a WNBA player with 3 years or less experience is $37,950. As far as the rest of the country goes, that's not bad at all. If a college graduate was guaranteed a position out of college for that amount of money they'd probably jump at it.

The max is $107k. Again, most anyone would jump at that. They're not starving. The quality of play is way better than ten years ago but it doesn't matter if no one watches

This is the opposite way, but same argument of "these pros get paid millions to play (insert sport). If I got paid 10 million a year to do my job I'd be happy as hell!" And while living as a single person making 37k a year isn't bad lets not pretend this is amazing pay either.

BIZORT posted:

WNBA players aren't the best at what they do in the world. The NBA is that. That's why there is more value placed on it. I guess as far as women go, maybe. Do we even know that? I don't follow global women's basketball but they get paid more elsewhere so I'd assume they have more talent and viewership

Do europeans discuss this about professional women soccer leagues?

Well, the WNBA is the best women's basketball in the world. America on the international stage racks up the gold medals. And on top of that despite short comings the United States has in my opinion the best youth infrastructure to get young women involved in athletics at an early age and continue to participate through high school and into the NCAA and so on. International women's leagues don't have more talent.

Last I saw viewership is actually up a lot in the past couple years. Half the league is turning a profit (how big? I don't know but they say half the teams turned profits). I think access to viewing games is a genuine impediment to growing the viewer/interest base. But with NBATV getting better and better (Yes it still sucks) people are able to access streams and so on.

To be clear I dont' think they should be getting paid NBA numbers. There is less interest in the WNBA period. Not a surprise. The NBA has been around for decades longer. I think having the league operate in the summer is both a curse and a blessing for fan interest. I DO NOT think the base salaries should jump a ton. But I think they should bump some. I think its in the best interest of the NBA and basketball fans in general to loving have the WNBA be around. Why? Well, they keep harping on growth, growth, growth. That same point I made earlier. About youth participation in sports? Theres a lot of young girls out there playing basketball. People like seeing people who look like them. And there will be bleed over. Get people passionate about the women's game and those young people will surely watch the NBA as well. I'm totally for the NBA continuing to support the WNBA. I don't think a large amount of growth or expansion or huge salaries are smart. But I think they need to look at the situation and think because its not a great look if the biggest women stars go play overseas and skip the WNBA season.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

glowing-fish posted:

It's a stylized basketball game, so it doesn't count.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

He already played for my favorite college team which is a big reason why I love him. :colbert:

Late but see also: me and Chris Paul. I know he's an rear end in a top hat dickpuncher, no one will ever convince me to not wish him success because he played for my (extremely small) alma mater, god drat it. :colbert:

Also, you're welcome Pels. :cheers:

i love this video

can we make pimp pelican the thread title

Cosigning.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 12, 2015

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

PantsFreeZone posted:

Sooooooooo are the Nuggets just going to keep the interim guy?

Word is the front office wants an experienced guy (dantoni, gentry, del negro please god no) but he's looked pretty good to me. He was Karl's assistant too so he knows the old system. The players seem to like him and he lets them run.

Gallo is actually playing like his old self which is loving rad. I was pretty sure he was gonna be a burnt out husk for the rest of his career. Harris is pretty much looking like a bust though. He's shooting 25% which I'm pretty sure is below Austin Rivers tier

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
IF THE LOGO HAS NO BASKETBALL THEN HOW ARE YOU GONNA KNOW ITS A BASKETBALL TEAM AND NOT JUST A BUNCH OF ANIMALS OR AUTO PARTS ON PARADE

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Strawberry Panda posted:

Corey Brewer scored like a million points in the last two minutes tonight.

17 straight points, it was the stupidest thing I'd seen since Corey Brewer scored 50

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
On a scale of 1 to Bill Walton, how hosed up is Durant's foot really? I mean, at what point do they just shut him down and call the season? If he's going to be out one or two more weeks, are they even going to make the playoffs? I'd hate to see the guy ruin his career because he tried to play before he should.

On a different note, I've always felt the WNBA should pay its players way more. Vet min 100k+ - there are, what, 150 players in that league? Pay them enough to be able actually take their offseason off instead of having to play in Europe or wherever.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spite posted:

On a scale of 1 to Bill Walton, how hosed up is Durant's foot really? I mean, at what point do they just shut him down and call the season? If he's going to be out one or two more weeks, are they even going to make the playoffs? I'd hate to see the guy ruin his career because he tried to play before he should.

On a different note, I've always felt the WNBA should pay its players way more. Vet min 100k+ - there are, what, 150 players in that league? Pay them enough to be able actually take their offseason off instead of having to play in Europe or wherever.

Like a 3 or a 2.7, the screw somehow worked it's way to a spot that caused him pain. I think they have lovely surgeons in OKC. They just need to adjust it and let that heal a bit, and he should be cool.

The WNBA can't afford to pay its players that much because their revenues are very low. Half of its teams make a profit, and that's probably with friendly accounting. Raise salaries and you've probably lowered the number of teams that make a profit to 3 or 4.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
But as we all know last time the CBA was up 22 teams in the league lost money!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

BIZORT posted:

And then he put Kevin Durant and Steve Novak in the same sentence, giving Zach Lowe a brain aneurysm.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
edit: regarding Durant's foot, when I had my ankles fused, a screw coming loose was a potential issue they warned me about but said it happens very rarely and I probably didn't need to worry about it. So it's a common enough problem that they warn folks it could happen. Then on one of the feet the anesthesiologist poked a nerve or something and the foot stayed half-numb half-pins-and-needles for like two or three months :woop:

Jack's Flow posted:

And then he put Kevin Durant and Steve Novak in the same sentence, giving Zach Lowe a brain aneurysm.

Um are saying OKC acquired Novak for some reason other than to replace Durant?

Start 'em off both on the bench in street clothes, mess up the names a few times and soon nobody can tell the difference.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Re: the cap smoothing proposal from a couple pages ago

It makes sense to me that the players wouldn't want Alec Burks, Eric Gordon, Pekovic and Derrick Rose to get an X% bonus in 2016 when that extra money can instead go to players who deserve it/are actually healthy. Of course the union can't come out and say that, but it's odd that no one is mentioning that angle.

Also some of the writers are acting like 2015 free agency is going to be normal and 2016 crazy. 2015 is going to be just as crazy for the 90% of players who aren't getting the max. If players like Haywood got $15m a year when people were just guessing how much the cap was going to increase, everyone is going to get paid this summer now that we know exact numbers.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Rick posted:

Wonder how the Celtics would feel about making the playoffs, especially since a lot of the things they bet on happening this season didn't, which has pushed most of their picks that seemed good at the time to next year (and they lose Miami's pick all-together if the season ends right now). It's not the end of the world since they may have like 6 picks next year instead but the internet seems to believe next year's going to be a worse draft than this year so maybe having at least one lottery pick this year would be beneficial.

I'm personally rooting for the playoffs. Like you said, the Celtics have a million picks over the next five years and the difference between making the playoffs and not is like four picks. They're pretty much guaranteed a lottery pick from Brooklyn next year, the team has gotten way more fun since Isaiah Thomas showed up, and they have a boatload of cap room this summer. Why not go for it?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Not agreeing to the cap smoothing is the smartest thing they can do. Why would the player's association be interested in artificially deflating the amount of money that could be paid to them?

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Ungratek posted:

Not agreeing to the cap smoothing is the smartest thing they can do. Why would the player's association be interested in artificially deflating the amount of money that could be paid to them?

I think the idea was that the players as a group would still get paid 97 million or whatever but the cap would be 80 million, with the actual pay being prorated for the years the cap was lower. The idea being basically that since the players get the same amount of money, the cap figure shouldn't affect them. Its also one of those things that would probably benefit 80% of the players but only really hurt any max players signing in the smoothed years.

http://giant.gfycat.com/OnlyRipeAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ungratek posted:

It wouldn't deflate, the amount of money given to the players would be the same, now and in the future. Whether all players get a max or all get a vet minimum the total amount given to the players is always the same, ~51% of the total BRI (this is controlled by escrow). The smoothing would just take the difference and spread it around to all the players rather than weighting it by contract size with those who are FA able to get a larger share. It's a perfectly fair offer and doesn't really help or hurt the owners (they end up with ~49% of BRI no matter what happens), it just avoids a crazy Free Agency.

Its funny that this was a unanimous decision since for the majority of NBA players they would have ended up with more money with smoothing than they would have with a cap jump, so they voted against their best interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

wangvicous posted:

I think the idea was that the players as a group would still get paid 97 million or whatever but the cap would be 80 million, with the actual pay being prorated for the years the cap was lower. The idea being basically that since the players get the same amount of money, the cap figure shouldn't affect them. Its also one of those things that would probably benefit 80% of the players but only really hurt any max players signing in the smoothed years.

http://giant.gfycat.com/OnlyRipeAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

It would hurt most of this summer and next summers free agents.

Let's use NO as an example. If the cap was smoothed in 2016 AD and Ryan Anderson would get smallers contract, but they would get a 20% bonus the first year. But Jrue and Evans would also get a 20% bonus, which is money that could've gone to other free agents. In 2017 AD and Anderson would still have their smaller contract but they would not get any bonus, and neither would any other free agent who signed a smaller contract under the cap smoothing. That money would instead go to 2017 free agents and new draft picks.

• Locked thread