Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So...wait. If they undid Xavier's secret marriage to Mystique, and so their son was never born, that means battle of the Atom never happened, at least not the way it did as shown...so WHY did Kitty defect again? Other than 'Bendis wants all his toys in one box'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kitty defected because it had been 2 weeks, time for a new boyfriend.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Plenty more Peters out there in the sea/cosmos.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Having caught up with X-Men up to AvX (yay, only 2-ish more years worth of comics to go) I have two questions:
1) Was there ever any fallout from the "No more Phoenix" thing yet? Because snuffing out a force of the universe sounds like a terrible idea and there should've been repercussions
2) Does Shaw appear anywhere after AvX? Redeemed Shaw looks like a nice idea but I got this sinking feeling that him going off the grid during AvX will result in reappearance as a villain again after some time

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Malek Deneith posted:

Having caught up with X-Men up to AvX (yay, only 2-ish more years worth of comics to go) I have two questions:
1) Was there ever any fallout from the "No more Phoenix" thing yet? Because snuffing out a force of the universe sounds like a terrible idea and there should've been repercussions
2) Does Shaw appear anywhere after AvX? Redeemed Shaw looks like a nice idea but I got this sinking feeling that him going off the grid during AvX will result in reappearance as a villain again after some time

1) I think something happened in Iron Man? Like Tony pissed off a race that worshipped it / siphoned off it to power their world.
2) Nope

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wolverine and the X-Men deals with the Phoenix. And who they believe is the next in line for the powers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

1) I think something happened in Iron Man? Like Tony pissed off a race that worshipped it / siphoned off it to power their world.

Yeah, Stark got thrown into a Thunderdome place by a bunch of Phoenix-worshipers who sicced Death's Head on him, then got out because the villain of the arc (in disguise) gave him his armor back and then they flew away. IIRC, Galactus then ate the Phoenix-worshipers' planet, as they'd been using a fancy shield to evade his watch, and Galactus don't like when people try to cheat him out of a good lunch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, here's one thing about very early Claremont that sticks out every time I re-read it (even more than the leprechauns) - his attempt to set up a romantic relationship between Colossus and Storm. Is it weird that I find that the strangest thing about his early years on the book? Looking at it in retrospect, it seems like a kind of off-the-wall pairing and I'm not sure why.

Wolfman did something similar very early on in New Teen Titans, actually, which surprised me when I read the first year or so of it recently; everyone knows the famous romantic subplots there are Robin and Starfire and Beast Boy and Terra, but who remembers Kid Flash and Raven?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Malek Deneith posted:

Can I just say that I hope he does? He's one of my favorite villains in all of X-dom and it's a bummer the way he's been sidelined for what feels like way too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wolfman did something similar very early on in New Teen Titans, actually, which surprised me when I read the first year or so of it recently; everyone knows the famous romantic subplots there are Robin and Starfire and Beast Boy and Terra, but who remembers Kid Flash and Raven?

Me. The original Kid Flash is my favorite Teen Titans character (love that costume), and a old friend of mine was a big Raven fan, so we remembered. It never went anywhere because she was unconsciously manipulating him. She also did something similar to Dick Grayson I think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Malek Deneith posted:

The force of the universe that holds back the M'Kraan Crystals. You think there would be a problem.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Wait, is Bendis so behind that they're releasing All-New X-Men 38 and 39 a month before 37 so they don't gently caress up the flow of Black Vortex?

VVVV - Eh, you're probably right. Bendis is pretty notorious for writing way ahead.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 23, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not Bendis that's behind.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The most recent UXM had a cover that was supposed to be for the next arc because the will story ran long. That's why it has Havok on it when he doesn't appear in the issue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I don't know what I like most about this terrible cover, Fang suddenly shooting laser beams out of his fingers for no reason or X-23 inexplicably wearing her X-Force costume

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After reading the Kitty Queer essay, I began to wonder, have we actually seen Magik in any kind of relationship? As far as I can remember, no.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Given that she's spent most of her life as a child or a child/part demon I would hope not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waterhaul posted:

Given that she's spent most of her life as a child or a child/part demon I would hope not.

She's been an adult on comics (or at least a teenager) since the 80s. Or did she deage a bunch in the 90s?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

twistedmentat posted:

She's been an adult on comics (or at least a teenager) since the 80s. Or did she deage a bunch in the 90s?

Not really. She dies in the mid 90's as a kid from the Legacy virus and is then resurrected as a demon/Darkchylde/whatever the terrible X-Infernus ended up being. I guess you can say she's a teenager now that she's her soul back but still.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That was one of the things that was great about New Mutants is that it didn't get too heavy on the "everyone in the book must be involved in a love triangle/square/hexagon" but I guess also that's because it predated Degrassi and 90210. But that would've really been the most opportune time for Magik to have a love interest if she was gonna have one.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's not like characters haven't been trying to get in a relationship with her.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

It's not like characters haven't been trying to get in a relationship with her.

Yeah, I could think of that, and in the original New Mutants she danced with Empath at the Massachusetts Academy's dance, but only to threaten him and say if he hurt Amara she would kill him. Not much else.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, don't lose hope! Bendis run hasn't ended yet! I'm sure he will find a way to shove in some casual sex between her and some random character, same way he did with X-23. It's not like age stopped him there either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Angel's not very old himself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Angel's not very old himself.

Yeah he should be in relationships with characters like Husk, and they can have sex in the air in the view of her mom!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Iceman hasn't pined for her yet, I'm hoping for that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She got shot once with an orgasm gun. Thanks Claremont.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

After seeing some stuff from issue #2 and #3 on the post funny panels thread I'm now catching up with Spider-Man and the X-Men and this is rather fun. Seriously. Who's Elliott Kalan? Has he written anything of note before?

e: oh, right, Wikipedia. Head writer for the Daily Show and it shows. You guys should read S&XM if you haven't!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 8, 2015

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Saoshyant posted:

After seeing some stuff from issue #2 and #3 on the post funny panels thread I'm now catching up with Spider-Man and the X-Men and this is rather fun. Seriously. Who's Elliott Kalan? Has he written anything of note before?

e: oh, right, Wikipedia. Head writer for the Daily Show and it shows. You guys should read S&XM if you haven't!

He also does a bad movies podcast called "The Flop House" with two other guys that's pretty funny. The After Earth and A Good Day to Die Hard episodes are my personal favorites.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I had to check to see who the writer was after this issue of All New X-Men because it was pretty good. But it was still Bendis, I should have guessed from the "boop".

But it was still a solid issue.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Soonmot posted:

I had to check to see who the writer was after this issue of All New X-Men because it was pretty good. But it was still Bendis, I should have guessed from the "boop".

But it was still a solid issue.

It shouldn't be that surprising. Bendis is perfectly capable of writing good comic books-- the problem is that he's not good at events, or even long term plotting if the book's title doesn't have the word "Spider" in it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It was good but there's just something that feels intrinsically wrong about Emma being all kind, helpful and reassuring to Jean, proper cats and dogs living together mass hysteria stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

He also does a bad movies podcast called "The Flop House" with two other guys that's pretty funny. The After Earth and A Good Day to Die Hard episodes are my personal favorites.

They're no Oogieloves episode.

And yea, that was good, but I didn't find it out of character for Emma to actually be helping Jean, mostly because she was still condescending as gently caress through the whole thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That did kind of highlight how completely pointless Emma losing her powers has been though.

It was a factor in maybe like 2 issues before the Stepfords joined the Xavier school and she was just able to control their Hive Mind whenever she needed it.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
The whole wonky powers subplot was really only ever relevant for Magneto and Cyclops.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked Rachel in SatXM. Her being super paranoid is perfectly in character. Though is that the first time Martha Johnson's body has been seen?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kaleidoscope posted:

The whole wonky powers subplot was really only ever relevant for Magneto and Cyclops.

I was annoyed that the whole wonky power subplot was NANOMACHINES and not a result of using the Phoenix Force.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What really? Hahahahahahah

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

What really? Hahahahahahah
No, it's even worse. It's completely vague, Cyclops was nanomachines from Dark Beast, the other could be like anti-mutant burritos for how well it was explained.

Well I confess I stopped reading the X-Bendis stuff a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I was annoyed that the whole wonky power subplot was NANOMACHINES and not a result of using the Phoenix Force.

It was a bullshit explanation too because Colossaus' powers were working just fine and he was part of the Five as were Namor.

Is there a reason Emma's powers aren't working now? Shouldn't the nanomachines be out by now?

• Locked thread