Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Only small white soapstone summons have timers and even then it's likely a host hiding at a bonfire will just keep on summoning more and more people until you either attack them or leave. It is sometimes possible to bait hosts with summons into enemies but that only happens because the host either doesn't know about the timers or just doesn't want to wait 15 minutes for you to get kicked out.

A time limit for invaders made sense early on in the development when apparently you couldn't escape from invaders through fog walls but right now it just encourages camping at bonfires with summons which is kinda boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Big white soapstones have timers too, they're a lot longer.

Also there are no rules to invasions, if u gon bitch then u best accept u a bitch 2.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Big white soapstones have timers too, they're a lot longer.

Also there are no rules to invasions, if u gon bitch then u best accept u a bitch 2.

Yeah no rules. Even cord pulling is allowed.

Sanctum posted:

How is that bad? Summons have timers just the same as invaders. If the host already has summons by all means wait them out if they refuse to progress. It's dumb that hosts expect you to come out and 'fairfight' them 1v3, and hosts really shouldn't be able to use seeds when they have summons. A red phantom whittling down the summons from behind enemies or lying in ambush to quickly drop the host is exactly the sort of thing you'd expect to see in Souls games, but it so rarely happens.

On the other hand, if you are invading a lone host and hiding for an ambush then you really shouldn't complain when hosts go back to the bonfire to get summons. Your job as an invader is to kill the host, not the other way around. If you aren't willing to come out and stop them, running back and summoning help is entirely justified for the host. Or popping a seed against you. But I really do loathe that hosts can both have summons and pop a seed.

I guess I wasn't clear enough with my post because this is mostly my own stance on the whole thing. I prefer 1vs3 in fact because if I want a 1vs1 fight ill just go to the bridge to get that. It's fun to actually win a fight despite the odds. 3 dumb pubs vs 1 rear end in a top hat with a plan. Of course the situation turns bad when its 3 smart pubs and 1 rear end in a top hat with no place to escape to.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Yeah no rules. Even cord pulling is allowed.

I guess I wasn't clear enough with my post because this is mostly my own stance on the whole thing. I prefer 1vs3 in fact because if I want a 1vs1 fight ill just go to the bridge to get that. It's fun to actually win a fight despite the odds. 3 dumb pubs vs 1 rear end in a top hat with a plan. Of course the situation turns bad when its 3 smart pubs and 1 rear end in a top hat with no place to escape to.

Yes exactly. If you invade and you see three guys you have to fight and you're like "ugh no thanks" then just jump off a cliff.

If you get invaded and are like "ugh no thanks" then just jump off a cliff (preferably one near a bonfire). Or usually you have plenty of time to whip on a ring of life protection.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I usually play PVP by ear. If I'm trying to do something and get interrupted then I'll do whatever I can to win, even if it's cheap. If I'm idling for a summon, or don't have any souls I care about protecting, then I'll usually "duel with honor" or whatever, and try to keep it even and without healing. On the rare occasion I invade, I accept the fact that I'm playing at a disadvantage, and take the host being able to heal in stride. It's all part of the game, and getting occasional adversarial contact with other players keeps things fun and exciting, in my opinion.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Genocyber posted:

I like it.

Aw shucks, I'm blushin'

I made another one that where I tired to sync the music and the action together, also featuring best axe, Greataxe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73fxdA8Rw30

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That was such a dickish thing to do at the second to last invasion. I can't help admiring it despite myself.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eleum Loyce is old Drangleicese for "everything here is an rear end in a top hat. even the animals. especially the animals."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first time I did ivory crown was on bonfire +3 and having two red phantom demon hedgehogs... It is not a nice thing to see.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I liked invading the wharf because it has a lot of hiding places so if the host goes back to the start and does nothing, I can just alt+tab out until the timer runs out. Also I make sure to pop in 5 minutes after the invasion start if they do this to ensure they're staring at the screen for those entire 15 minutes because ~who knows when I'll pop in~

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to buying this, is there anything I should know besides the spoilered bits in the OP? I'm familiar with Demon's and Dark Souls mechanics.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't know how to tell you this, but the remaster comes out in literally a month.

You should have waited!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I got this for 30 bucks, I ain't payin' some high price for a rerelease a year after it came out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Charles Bukowski posted:

I finally got around to buying this, is there anything I should know besides the spoilered bits in the OP? I'm familiar with Demon's and Dark Souls mechanics.

The only thing you really need to know is that the number of invincibility frames you have in your rolls is tied to a character attribute called Agility. This is raised primarily by your adaptability stat, though attunement will also increase it. Beyond that, the rules and mechanics are basically the same.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Is spellcasting speed still determined by Dexterity? Or is that Agility as well?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Charles Bukowski posted:

I got this for 30 bucks, I ain't payin' some high price for a rerelease a year after it came out.

Did you get it with the DLC for that price? :v:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Why is everyone loving with me lately? No, it didnt come with the dlc. I just want to play some more dark souls.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Smol posted:

Is spellcasting speed still determined by Dexterity? Or is that Agility as well?

I don't think spellcasting speed was ever tied to dex in dark souls 2. Only things that increase it is faith/int by a little and att by a lot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Charles Bukowski posted:

Why is everyone loving with me lately? No, it didnt come with the dlc. I just want to play some more dark souls.

Just wondering honestly, that would have been an amazing price. I do hope the remaster is $40, or at least $60 with a big discount for owning the game and DLC.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Some Tumblr person has started translating the interview in the Design Works book for Dark Souls II. Lots of interesting insights into the development troubles the team ran into already (they confirm game went through a significant shake-up midway through development), but this is by far the most interesting snippet of info from this first part of the interview:

quote:

However rearranging the partially completed designs was extremely difficult. For example the character Lucatiel of Mirrah. Her name during development was Don Quixote and the Bell Keeper dwarf her Sancho Panza. They were originally designed as a slightly untrustworthy female knight and her bumbling, middle aged squire much like their namesakes. But while I’m a fan of the source material inserting these two overtly comical characters into such a dark foreboding world just wouldn’t fit at all. So eventually we changed their roles to that of the cursed knight and the Bell Keeper. I simply asked the designers if they could modify them a little for their new roles.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Charles Bukowski posted:

The dlc is more dark souls. :shrug:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Smol posted:

It has its own stat now, determined mainly by ATT with a minor boost from INT/FTH, although casting speed is mostly affected by your choice of catalyst. Something with 120 cast speed will cast notably faster than something with 100. If that's still not fast enough, slap on Lion Mage gear and the Clear Bluestone Ring +2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Some Tumblr person has started translating the interview in the Design Works book for Dark Souls II. Lots of interesting insights into the development troubles the team ran into already (they confirm game went through a significant shake-up midway through development), but this is by far the most interesting snippet of info from this first part of the interview:

Maybe Lucatiel was supposed to be the one to tell you to light the windmill on fire. v:shobon:v

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

believe in yourself, don't be discouraged when you fail

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Maybe Lucatiel was supposed to be the one to tell you to light the windmill on fire. v:shobon:v

That would have been awesome.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charles Bukowski posted:

lmao you bought a year old game for 30 bucks without a single dlc when the version you bought is about to become obsolete.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

On a recent playthrough I realized that the ladder guy actually does give you a slight hint about burning that if you exhaust his dialogue.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
I'm curious, how do you guys feel the poise/stagger system was in Dark Souls 2 vs Dark Souls 1, or feel about it in general really?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
For hitting bad guys it's not really different.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Last night in gimmick invasions:

CE'd my name to "help im lost", kept a torch in my offhand at all times and wore a Ring of the Living

it was pretty fun, some people immediately lit a torch as well :3:

I should make a video.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I managed to get the agape ring and have a Blue Knight around 55k SM. What is a good SM to invade sinners and help out people?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I guess we can throw out the whole idea of the level transitions in the game being disjointed by design now.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

CappyBottoms posted:

I managed to get the agape ring and have a Blue Knight around 55k SM. What is a good SM to invade sinners and help out people?

I think bluecops are a bit more prevelant in NG+ at higher SM.

The agape invasions are more of a cracked eye/belbro thing. the deal is though there are a lot of other people doing the low SM thing and you will find some pretty competitive pvp. and rapiers everywhere

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CappyBottoms posted:

All of them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brackhar posted:

I'm curious, how do you guys feel the poise/stagger system was in Dark Souls 2 vs Dark Souls 1, or feel about it in general really?

I preferred DS1's system, simply because it was more predictable. The refill after not being hit for a few seconds meant that you had a consistency to your Poise that you could rely on. If you knew that you could eat a single attack from X enemy with Y Poise, but not two, then you could safely trade a single hit and then back off to let your Poise recover. DS2's system is such that I rarely have any idea what my current Poise is like, so not getting Poise broken feels more like an RNG occurrence than smart play on my part.

In general, though, I'm not a huge fan of the Poise system as it stands in either game. The arbitrariness of the Poise breakpoints means a lot of fiddly number-crunching to find the Poise "sweet spot" that'll let you not get staggered against certain weapons, and it can lead to dull gameplay outcomes where your weapon's Poise damage is so high that you can simply smack the majority of things to death with R1.

My preferred system would be to shift the stagger mechanic to certain attacks for each moveset (say, the Mace's light attacks do not stagger, but the second hit of the Mace's heavy attack staggers), and/or tie the stagger mechanic into something more interactable. Stagger might, for example, only trigger if you get a counter, or if you attack an enemy specifically during their recovery frames. It should be something you have to think about how to use, rather than something that's "always on," as it otherwise makes the combat too rocket tag-ish: whoever scores the first blow ends up being much more likely to come out on top.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The main issue with Poise is heavy armor.

Heavy armor needs something to make it worthwhile.

Poise in DS1 almost did it, but it led to min-maxing stupidity.

They went with higher defenses in DS2, but that led to Havel Supremacy until it was nerfed.

It's an extremely delicate balance that frankly they can't quite seem to catch, because God forbid anyone have fun in these games instead of sticking to the Best Options.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tallgeese posted:

God forbid anyone have fun in these games

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Wrecking Chaos Blade + Buckler tryhards is a favourite pastime of mine :smug:

I mean I still need to work at it and turtle pretty hard but going with The Objectively Best gear merely gives you a bit of an advantage. To reliably win with it you still need to git gud.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo i made it to the cardinal bonfire. First run deprived is starting slowly. :)

E: giant boulder wtf?

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Deprived really doesn't matter after like the first three bosses, and you can reach three bosses very rapidly to get that initial dump of 30,000ish souls to start your build.

Run past everything next time now that you know where the bonfires are.

Also level your Adaptability ASAP or you're going to have a maddeningly difficult time.