Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Electromax posted:

Write out a post on these forums, obviously. I give characters in a scene 10 seconds before they better be talking, fighting, or naked.

(this is the smartphone generation attention spans coming home to roost)

People like you are the reason Bryan Cranston kept showing everyone his rear end, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Electromax posted:

Seems about right.

I liked the bit in the podcast with the story about an acquaintance being bored by Quint's story in Jaws "they should have shown the Indianapolis sink."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Watching that old lady descend from the top of the stairs was worth an emmy by itself and you are a terrible person if you didn't enjoy every second of it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That part was hilarious. I hope we get more of that and less of the tired cop drama tropes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Better Call Saul may be slow in pace, but things actually happen in every episode. Characters grow just a bit more, and the story always escalates. Nothing is stagnant.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

disheveled posted:

Seems about right.

I liked the bit in the podcast with the story about an acquaintance being bored by Quint's story in Jaws "they should have shown the Indianapolis sink."

Which podcast was this, the latest one?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

A MIRACLE posted:

That part was hilarious. I hope we get more of that and less of the tired cop drama tropes

A men. Or is it Amen?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Electromax posted:

You're a space blanket away from being on par with Chuck.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What is wrong with people where for thirty seconds they can't sit and watch joke play out? What could you possibly do in that two minutes?

If anything they should've dragged it out another 90 seconds or so to make it really funny.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It would have been really funny and saved a lot of time if the old lady fell down the stairs.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

Less cop drama, more Cop Rock.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

comes along bort posted:

If anything they should've dragged it out another 90 seconds or so to make it really funny.

Insert Seth McFarlane joke.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Data Graham posted:

ok:

Frostwerks posted:

It would have been really funny and saved a lot of time if the old lady fell down the stairs.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Spaceballs did it first.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just watched the new episode. It ruled. Does Mike use that same veterinarian in BB? Also waiting for those pain pills the vet gave him to show up 4 episodes later.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Nephthys posted:

There's nothing really necessary about this whole spinoff. Doesn't mean it's any less great.

I'm just waiting to see Huell.

Show has easily been on or near the level of Breaking Bad for me so far, really good TV.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

Just watched the new episode. It ruled. Does Mike use that same veterinarian in BB? Also waiting for those pain pills the vet gave him to show up 4 episodes later.

Nope, that vet is a new character.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The last ep is one of the best episodes in both BCS AND BB. Breaking Bad was stupendous, but there's never been a more keen emotional moment (adrenaline pumped, yeah, technically perfect, of course, hilarious and intelligent as all hell, just everyday for them) than that last scene with Mike. BCS centering the narrative with more sympathetic protagonists allows the show to hit your empathy centers with exponentially harder force.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Also waiting for those pain pills the vet gave him to show up 4 episodes later.
Hmm, but perhaps in a different form...

A cigarette form....?

I'm calling it now! The vet dies from a Vicodin Cigarette!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mike is good and this show is good and this episode was good

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

mike is good and this show is good and this episode was good

this post is good

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I wonder if the people who thought that episode was unnecessary got pissed at the Gus/swimming pool flashback in season 4. Surely a supporting character doesn't need 20 minutes of solid backstory!

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 12, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

I wonder if the people who thought that episode was unnecessary got pissed at the Gus/swimming pool flashback in season 4. Surely a supporting character doesn't need 20 minutes of solid backstory!

I know you're trying to make a point but if you didn't like the Gus pool scene maybe you should be watching a different show.

e: I don't mean you you but someone who would get upset that there wasn't enough Heisenberg in the episode.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Gus is also far more important to the plot and overall more interesting than Mike

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mikes cool but this episode could have been told better. Something just feels cliche about good cop getting offed by bad cops even if they did twist it by making the good cop Mike's son. I was thinking that Mike was laying low because he did some ultra shady poo poo as a cop and they kept him out of jail as a favor as long as he disappeared a bit. Not that he was a recovering alcoholic who feels bad about getting his kid killed then goes vigilante justice on two cops with probably no repercussions coming from it.

Oh well, side story episodes are good to break up the monotony of a season I guess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Doltos posted:

Mikes cool but this episode could have been told better. Something just feels cliche about good cop getting offed by bad cops even if they did twist it by making the good cop Mike's son. I was thinking that Mike was laying low because he did some ultra shady poo poo as a cop and they kept him out of jail as a favor as long as he disappeared a bit. Not that he was a recovering alcoholic who feels bad about getting his kid killed then goes vigilante justice on two cops with probably no repercussions coming from it.

Yeah, Mike's life turned out great. :wtc:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

tbh having something actually interesting in the background is the only way I could stand to play a game like WoW

which is why I don't

This is absolutely true, and that's why podcasts exist.

I wouldn't have played Diablo 3 anywhere near as much if it weren't for podcasts. Don't be a dick and put a visual medium in the background.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ross posted:

I'm just waiting to see Huell.

Show has easily been on or near the level of Breaking Bad for me so far, really good TV.

I could be wrong, but I think we already have - in the very first episode of the show. Wasn't the bailiff supposed to be a younger Huell? Or was it just a.. similarly sized guy with the same kind of personality?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can tell the bailiff is not Huell by observing that he is not portrayed by Lavell Crawford, but in fact by another actor entirely.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VagueRant posted:

And even though I enjoyed going back and watching season 4, the Marie-goes-to-open-houses subplot was poopy garbage.

Did they ever bring this up in a podcast? To this day I still believe that the writing staff had originally planned on Marie to steal something from the white house - possibly the Gale autographed book - that would be the thing to sway Hank. Either that or it was there to put that idea in people's minds as misdirection.

Because you're right on that one thing (sure not on everything); it abruptly got dropped and never mentioned again. I really think they had plans for it that must have changed.

ED: If it was originally written that Marie would have taken some evidence on accident, I'm glad they dropped in favor of the hilarious framing of one of the biggest and most important moments in the whole series happening while Hank took a poo poo.

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can tell the bailiff is not Huell by observing that he is not portrayed by Lavell Crawford, but in fact by another actor entirely.

I thought it might have been a potential recasting, which would have been an honest shame because Huell rocks.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 12, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

mike is good badass and this show is good and this episode was good

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm wondering if Mike was ever actually an alcoholic or if it was a long con to make him seem more harmless and sympathetic. He's drinking in a bar in BB before he beats up Walt for trying to turn him on Gus.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did they ever bring this up in a podcast? To this day I still believe that the writing staff had originally planned on Marie to steal something from the white house - possibly the Gale autographed book - that would be the thing to sway Hank. Either that or it was there to put that idea in people's minds as misdirection.

Because you're right on that one thing (sure not on everything); it abruptly got dropped and never mentioned again. I really think they had plans for it that must have changed.

ED: If it was originally written that Marie would have taken some evidence on accident, I'm glad they dropped in favor of the hilarious framing of one of the biggest and most important moments in the whole series happening while Hank took a poo poo.

It wasn't really "dropped". She started doing it again because Hank was emotionally abusing her out of angst about his current condition. He then ends up having to bail her out of jail, and when that happens he acts nicer to her than he has in a long while, plus it leads into Hank looking into the Gale Boetticher case. That plotline was ultimately about how Hank is empowered by being the one who watches out for Marie and having crimes to solve, his mindset improves dramatically once he takes on those roles again. One imagines that Marie stopped doing it around then, since she actually got in trouble for it and her home life became less stressful.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Beeez posted:

It wasn't really "dropped". She started doing it again because Hank was emotionally abusing her out of angst about his current condition. He then ends up having to bail her out of jail, and when that happens he acts nicer to her than he has in a long while, plus it leads into Hank looking into the Gale Boetticher case. That plotline was ultimately about how Hank is empowered by being the one who watches out for Marie and having crimes to solve, his mindset improves dramatically once he takes on those roles again. One imagines that Marie stopped doing it around then, since she actually got in trouble for it and her home life became less stressful.

Yeah, the APD guy that talks to Hank about Gale specifically says that he's calling in a favor for defusing Marie's shoplifting spree in those open houses.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tristesse posted:

My sister in law starts watching something and within a minute no matter what it is she is on the internet looking up spoilers/ the ending.

Every. Single. Time.

Then during the show she asks everyone what is going on.

Better than than your mum figuring out game of thrones is pretty good and telling you stuff is different in the books and minor spoilers every time you talk to her

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Better than than your mum figuring out game of thrones is pretty good and telling you stuff is different in the books and minor spoilers every time you talk to her

sever

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it matters that much if Mike's backstory is clichd. What matters is whether it's well executed and speaks to Mike's character, which this episode really does.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Just read the books. Save yourself.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Don't compare me to Seth MacFarlane you loving piece of poo poo.

Steve2911 posted:

This is absolutely true, and that's why podcasts exist.

I wouldn't have played Diablo 3 anywhere near as much if it weren't for podcasts. Don't be a dick and put a visual medium in the background.

Or. Or. OR. Do whatever the gently caress you want, how you want to.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
My only issue with the episode is that everything is predictable. I mean it starts with Mike with a gunshot wound and you could predict the other two cops were killed by Mike pretty easily.

I still enjoyed it of course but it is harmed by the timeline. As far as that goes I felt him breaking into the car was a great use of it since you could wonder all sorts of things he might have done and the final result was excellent.

• Locked thread