Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ocrumsprug posted:

What an evil man, dictating Albertan's stupid rear end policy since before you were even born. No wonder you hate him so.

The city council has to give planning permission for new suburbs, do they not? It's not like he just stepped off the turnip truck... this is his second term, there have been entire new communities built since he took office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whiteycar posted:

They do, but it takes a lot more to facilitate those people than just the infrastructure in that development.

Oh my error then, I thought this was mostly regarding there not being a school.

Though getting a built school is one thing, funding it's operation is another. Is Alberta having the same fall off in enrollment that most of BC is seeing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ocrumsprug posted:

Oh my error then, I thought this was mostly regarding there not being a school.

Though getting a built school is one thing, funding it's operation is another. Is Alberta having the same fall off in enrollment that most of BC is seeing?

Our overall system utilization is increasing, but not in the areas where we already have schools built and functioning, because our citizenry is retarded and bad.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Old but pretty funny:
http://globalnews.ca/video/1098666/vancouvers-problem-of-affordability/

Has everyone's favorite Tsur Somerville saying the home to income multiple doesn't matter since Vancouver's god tier economy justifies such sky high prices vs wages compared to cities like
Detroit or Pittsburg.

etalian fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 12, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol everyone wants to live here

gently caress off

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

lol everyone wants to live here

gently caress off

From a voting with feet perspective everyone actually wants to live in Alberta.

(at least until the commodity bubble imploded)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Our overall system utilization is increasing, but not in the areas where we already have schools built and functioning, because our citizenry is retarded and bad.

It's the same story in the GTA. Suburban schools popping up everywhere while giant baby booner schools in Toronto proper sit half empty.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/canadian-household-debt-burden-hits-record-high/article23417022/

quote:

Canadians’ household debt burden hit another record high in the final quarter of 2014, as debts grew faster than the sluggish pace of disposable income.

Statistics Canada reported that the ratio of household credit-market debt (mortgages, loans and credit cards) to disposable income, the key measure of consumers’ debt burden, was a record 163.3 per cent in the fourth quarter, up from 162.7 per cent in the third quarter. Statscan said credit market debt grew 1.1 per cent in the quarter, slower than the 1.5 per cent reported in the previous quarter. But disposable income grew by only 0.5 per cent in the quarter, the third straight quarter in which debt growth outpaced disposable-income growth.

The debt-to-disposable-income ratio is the key measure watched by many analysts, including the Bank of Canada, to gauge the country’s consumer debt burden. The persistent historically high level has been an ongoing concern for the central bank, which has long flagged it as a source of potential risk to the country’s economic and financial stability.

However, other measures of the debt burden looked less onerous in the fourth quarter. The ratio of household credit-market debt to net worth held steady at 21.9 per cent, near a six-year low, as the national net worth rose 2.6 per cent in the quarter, to a record $8.27-billion. The ratio of debt to total assets was also steady at 18.2 per cent, also near a six-year low. The debt-service ratio – defined as interest payments as a proportion of disposable income – held at 6.8 per cent, a near-record low, reflecting historically low interest rates on mortgages and other loans. Household net worth was up 7.5 per cent in 2014 as a whole, spurred by rising values in both real estate and financial-market assets. Per-capita household net worth ended the year at $233,000.

“It would be premature to cite the deterioration in the financial position of Canadian households, as evidenced by the above household debt metrics, as cause for concern that the risks posed by household imbalances are intensifying,” said Royal Bank of Canada economist Laura Cooper in a research note. “The debt-to-income measure is not our preferred metric for examining the financial position of Canadian households, most notably as it accounts for only one side of household balance sheets – the debt-to-net worth and debt-to asset ratios are likely better indicators.”

Mortgage debt grew by 1.2 per cent in the quarter, its slowest pace since the first quarter of the year. Credit card debt grew by 0.8 per cent, also its slowest growth since the first quarter. But non-mortgage loans surged 2.4 per cent, their fastest quarter in two years.

Ms. Cooper noted that the Bank of Canada expects the biggest impact from the oil shock will be in reduced incomes – which implies that the debt-to-income ratio will remain under pressure from the income side of the ledger.

“A period of softer income growth alongside an upward trend in household credit accumulation will likely keep the debt-to-income ratio elevated over the coming quarters and as a result, the warnings stemming from elevated debt balances - with household indebtedness remaining the key vulnerability to the financial system — are unlikely to subside,” Ms. Cooper said.

“If anything, the sudden nature of the oil price plunge brings to bear how quickly a shock could materialize and reduce the ability of highly indebted households to service their debts, which in turn, could spark broader deterioration across the financial system and Canadian economy. Our baseline view, however, remains that the Canadian economy will weather the decline in oil prices as benefits, including anticipated savings for Canadian households, largely offset the drag from the oil and gas industry.

Congratulations* you profligate loving assholes

*gently caress you

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

PT6A posted:

Let's talk about more idiotic choices in urban planning!

The Calgary Board of Education has lately been whining that it needs many more schools, schools are over-capacity, and they need more money. Well, uh, that's not strictly true.

http://www.660news.com/2015/03/11/cbe-requesting-less-school-modernizations-due-to-financial-downturn/

It turns out we're projected to go up to 89 percent system utilization next year, up two percent from the current rate. What's the problem, then? Well, you see, all the assholes with kids move to the ends of the goddamn earth (aided and abetted by gently caress-rear end developers and a terminally impotent city council full of fucks, assholes, and morons) and then wonder why there's no school there. Maybe Prentice was right, and Albertans are to blame for our budget crunch. Maybe the CBE could reduce class sizes if we used school capacity that already exists instead of building new schools in Buttfucking Egypt (all of which incur certain recurring costs, apart from construction). But, no, clearly the answer is "we need more money! More money all the time!"

Even if we had a lot of extra money with a decent tax structure, it would still be a horrendous waste of money that could be better spent on pretty much anything else.

Next person I hear complain about how there isn't a school in their neighbourhood is getting kicked right in the oval office or testicles. Move to where the school is, you goddamn whiny morons, or quit bitching about long commutes.

I teach in Alberta (not Calgary though) and the way they calculate 'utilization' is ridiculous and no school would ever ever ever achieve 100% utilization. Anything above 85% is already insane. So yeah, they likely need to build more schools.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just wanted to let everyone know that while canadians are wealthier than ever, we're at a record high 1 in 5 kids living below the poverty line in BC. Good job fuckheads

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

unlimited shrimp posted:

It's the same story in the GTA. Suburban schools popping up everywhere while giant baby booner schools in Toronto proper sit half empty.
Because busing is evil and the bane of parents everywhere.

Edit: You know what would overcome parental objections to busing? If schools dropped kids off at daycare after.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Just wanted to let everyone know that while canadians are wealthier than ever, we're at a record high 1 in 5 kids living below the poverty line in BC. Good job fuckheads
Same story in the GTA.

Edit: high Gini Coefficient=awesome, according to Conservative policies.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

unlimited shrimp posted:

Not entirely true. There is a big cohort of elementary school aged children that are entering the system, it is the high schools that are under used right now. However, obviously all those kids entering elementary schools will need high schools to go to in the 7-10 years so.... we probably shouldn't be closing/selling them off.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Household debt in Canada hits a new all-time high with debt/income 163.3%, but cost to service debt near record low http://twitter.com/amberkanwar/status/575998678785208321/photo/1

https://twitter.com/amberkanwar/status/575998678785208321

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Vancouver housing prices risk mortgage default: report

quote:

According to Li's report, 68 per cent of B.C. credit union loans are personal real estate backed assets. And as of the second quarter of 2014, mortgages accounted for 47 per cent of total consumer debt.

Emphasis Mine. :getin:

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Not entirely true. There is a big cohort of elementary school aged children that are entering the system, it is the high schools that are under used right now. However, obviously all those kids entering elementary schools will need high schools to go to in the 7-10 years so.... we probably shouldn't be closing/selling them off.

This is accurate. The inner suburbs of Toronto are bursting with kids. There are three grade one classes at the school my daughter goes to. TDSB is in serious trouble logistically and it is run by a bunch of idiots.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

quote:

“It would be premature to cite the deterioration in the financial position of Canadian households, as evidenced by the above household debt metrics, as cause for concern that the risks posed by household imbalances are intensifying,” said Royal Bank of Canada economist Laura Cooper in a research note. “The debt-to-income measure is not our preferred metric for examining the financial position of Canadian households, most notably as it accounts for only one side of household balance sheets – the debt-to-net worth and debt-to asset ratios are likely better indicators.”

Except, in a debt fueled asset bubble, this is exactly what you would expect to happen: highly indebted people see their assets rise in value so their debt-to-net-worth and debt-to-asset ratios get smaller while their debt-to-income ratio grows. What is it with economic analysts* and not evaluating the appropriateness of their benchmarks when the conditions under which they were initiated change dramatically? Does anyone know of a source comparing these metrics across the length of home ownership? My guess is that debt-to-asset ratio starts at one for new home owners and get pretty small for long time owners while debt-to-income is really large for new owners and pretty small for longer term owners. And that the trends cannot be attributed to slowly paying off a mortgage over its lifetime.

*Economic analysts is used loosely here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/2...-picks-embraer/

quote:

Bombardier Inc. lost the second prospect within a week for its CSeries aircraft after Deutsche Lufthansa AG opted instead for Embraer SA jets to renew the short-haul fleet of its Austrian subsidiary.

Hey it's a good thing poloz lowered interest rates and weakened the dollar because

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
More lulz from the oil patch: Husky Energy tells 1,000 workers to leave oilsands project site

quote:

Scaffolder Darcy Longman, who had been working on the site since June, found a letter slipped under his door early Wednesday.

“We were given notices under our door at 3:30 a.m. that Saipem has been kicked off the Husky Sunrise site effective immediately as far as I know,” he said. “Everybody knew everything was going good. We were good until April.”

quote:

Huygen has no idea why the job ended so suddenly.

“I may find out or I might never know.”

It's like the price of oil is poo poo or something. :allears:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Who could've loving guessed?

I feel bad for good people who are in a bad way, but I feel schadenfreude towards morons. More morons should be made to suffer, just out of general principle. If I could arrange a public whipping for anyone who bitches about the diminished value of their company stock, I would. Why didn't you sell when times were good, you whiny halfwits?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Whiteycar posted:

Just another signpost on all signs point to duh for Calgary City Council being in the back pocket of developers.

Bit of back story, Shane Homes, owned by Cal Wenzel is kind of a piece of poo poo, he's suing Nenshi for a libel for some comments he made during the campaign trail with some remarks he made about about Cal being like the Godfather.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/joe-magliocca-wants-calgary-to-honour-shane-homes-despite-nenshi-lawsuit-1.2987653

Now the fun part of this is Cal isn't as philanthropic as he would have you believe.

The total of his "donations" is over inflated because he counts his homes that he sells to the various home lotteries as the full amount where as the lotteries buy them at market.

So basically this singles out Magliocca as a gigantic shill and probably his other "fiscally conservative" buddy Chu as well.

But wait! You forgot to mention that Big Joe, Sean Chu, and noted losers whats-his-loving-face in Ward 7 and James Maxim in Ward 11 were all funded extensively by the group of developers led by il Padrino himself, Cal Wenzel.

ocrumsprug posted:

Not at all. Alberta has, up until about a few months ago (:v:), been experiencing significant natural growth as well as immigration.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 13, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

David Corbett posted:

But wait! You forgot to mention that Big Joe, Sean Chu, and noted losers whats-his-loving-face in Ward 7 and James Maxim in Ward 11 were all funded extensively by the group of developers led by il Padrino himself, Cal Wenzel.

To be fair about Ward 7, I'd pretty much rather literally anyone or anything but Druh loving Farrell. She is the most miserable oval office imaginable, and I'd probably support an unrepentant murderer over her at this point.

Why we can't have something between Farrell/Nenshi and Wenzel's bunch of fuckholes is beyond me. Isn't there room for someone that thinks endless suburbs are a bad thing, but I should be able to smoke on my own property, and drive 50 km/h down a city street?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Who could've loving guessed?

I feel bad for good people who are in a bad way, but I feel schadenfreude towards morons. More morons should be made to suffer, just out of general principle. If I could arrange a public whipping for anyone who bitches about the diminished value of their company stock, I would. Why didn't you sell when times were good, you whiny halfwits?

Why sell now when the price will only get better in the future?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

To be fair about Ward 7, I'd pretty much rather literally anyone or anything but Druh loving Farrell. She is the most miserable oval office imaginable, and I'd probably support an unrepentant murderer over her at this point.

Real cool man, what is this the Calgary Sun comments section?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah pretty much the housing bubble means the bank's balance sheet is heavily tilted toward home loans. Also the bubble nature of the market and CMHC backing of loan's means there's a big incentive to focus on getting even more "profitable" home loans on the books.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://m.thetyee.ca/News/2015/03/12/Facebook-Hired-Foreign-Workers/

quote:

The Canadian government gave Facebook the green light to hire 93 temporary foreign workers in its Vancouver offices, federal documents reveal.

The company would not speak on record about its successful 2013 applications or confirm that each of the 15-month contract positions were filled. A Facebook Canada spokesperson said the jobs were among roughly 150 at an engineering office opened in Vancouver, one of only five worldwide that hosted engineers at the time.

According to federal Labour Market Opinions issued by Employment and Social Development Canada, Facebook successfully applied for 88 software engineers and four production engineers -- both jobs requiring only a bachelor's degree and English proficiency -- as well as one position of "Audience Researcher, Vertical Measurement" which required a PhD.

Two Lower Mainland universities, Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia, offer bachelor's degrees in software engineering. The University of Victoria also has such a program, and Vancouver's BC Institute of Technology offers its own Bachelor of Technology in computer systems.

A UBC software engineering expert said several of his own students applied for Vancouver-based jobs with Facebook around the time of the company's applications, though it was unclear how the students learned of the openings. Only a few were interviewed, and none got jobs.

"When we heard Facebook was opening an office in Vancouver, we all got excited," said Ali Mesbah, an assistant professor in the university's Electrical and Computer Engineering program. "A lot of our students want to stay in Vancouver and find a job here. These students are really skilled and trained in the most advanced software engineering topics [and] are definitely equipped to obtain such positions locally."

Elsie Au, the director of BCIT's Bachelor of Technology major in computer systems, said she never heard that Facebook was opening a Vancouver office, let alone advertising jobs, though she has closely monitored an internal job openings list throughout her 16 years at the school.

"Our grads would be qualified," Au said. "I have a big question mark in my head... I don't know how they justified it to [the employment ministry] saying they couldn't hire local people before they hired foreign people."

A spokesperson for the federal employment ministry could not confirm how many of the approved positions were filled, but said Facebook Canada met all the requirements. "This employer demonstrated that they tried to recruit Canadians to fill these positions, however they were unable to do so," Simon Rivet explained in an email.

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is only available to employers "as a last and limited resort" to temporarily fill skills shortages, "and only when qualified Canadians are not available," Rivet wrote.

Tim Bailey, an immigration lawyer, questioned that interpretation of the law. "How could you know if there are qualified Canadians available or not?" he asked. "If you think about it, that would be almost impossible -- it would take pretty much forever to make sure everybody who could possibly do the job was canvased and given an opportunity to be hired."

Instead, Bailey cited the law's requirement for an employer to show they made a "reasonable effort" to hire trained Canadians or permanent residents.

Enough local talent?

Facebook's applications were obtained through access to information laws by the Alberta Federation of Labour and shared with The Tyee.

Mostly issued in Sept. 2013, the federal approvals came before the Conservative government reformed the Temporary Foreign Worker Program last June following controversy over the use of temp workers in the fast-food, banking and mining sectors.

The reforms included more stringent reporting requirements, and restricted the occasions when a company could resort to hiring non-Canadians.

Even before the program was overhauled, employers were required to advertise positions to Canadians for a minimum of four weeks, using various recruitment methods, before being permitted to apply for temporary workers, Rivet said.

Jinny Sims, the NDP critic for employment and social development, said she finds that hard to believe. "I have talked to young people who have left with degrees in software engineering and they're still waiting for jobs," she said in a phone interview. "Young people who've gone through the school system and are tech savvy, especially those with post-secondary degrees... nobody can convince me we don't have those skill sets here."

Sims reiterated the Official Opposition's concerns that the Temporary Foreign Worker Program is exploitative of overseas workers as well as unfair to Canadians. She said last year's overhaul of the program didn't go far enough because it didn't address a lack of sectoral data about the labour market's needs.

"[The government has] become over-reliant on what companies tell them," Sims said. "Right now, I just have to take the government's word for it. But with what we've seen over the last couple years, that's not much assurance."

Facebook Canada's spokesperson said the company looks for the top software engineers from anywhere in the world, including many Canadians, and cited a Deloitte report concluding the company has added 82,000 jobs and $5 billion to Canada's economy.

The spokesperson would not identify where the 93 approved workers came from, but did state that the Vancouver engineering office has since closed, leaving only sales, marketing and business development staff positions in the city.

The employment ministry said that a positive Labour Market Opinion reflects "employer demand," not necessarily how many positions were ultimately filled.

Without more information on Facebook's reasons for hiring from outside Canada, UBC's Mesbah said it could mean that B.C. is not "producing enough talent" in the sector and needs to pump out more software engineering graduates.

Another common practice is to bring foreign employees to Canada for short contracts until their American work permits are approved, Mesbah said, adding that he's seen many talented B.C. graduates move to the U.S. to work for software giants, including Facebook's headquarters in California.

"If the positions are really hiring people to stay in Vancouver and do real development, that's really exciting," he said. "It's good for the local economy, for our students, and for us as researchers.

"But if they're just cosmetic sites -- and I'm not saying that Facebook is doing that, I have no idea -- I don't know what the added value is for Canada, B.C., Vancouver or even us. There's a lot of talent here. Why look further away?"

Literally, incontrovertible proof that vancouverites are human garbage not fit to work for facebook.

Also, even the TFWs don't want to loving live here so they have to close up the office.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 13, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Facebook was pretty blunt from the outset that the engineering department was a green card holding tank that would only be open for around 18 months until the visas cleared. Like, they stated it in those exact terms to The Sun or somebody back when the office was announced.

At the time, it was implied they were going to be poaching local talent for south of the border. Hilarious.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

quote:

Another common practice is to bring foreign employees to Canada for short contracts until their American work permits are approved, Mesbah said, adding that he's seen many talented B.C. graduates move to the U.S. to work for software giants, including Facebook's headquarters in California.

"If the positions are really hiring people to stay in Vancouver and do real development, that's really exciting," he said. "It's good for the local economy, for our students, and for us as researchers.

"But if they're just cosmetic sites -- and I'm not saying that Facebook is doing that, I have no idea -- I don't know what the added value is for Canada, B.C., Vancouver or even us. There's a lot of talent here. Why look further away?"

I mean, it's pretty clear what the added value of H-1B holding tanks are. The added value is that you get a large number of highly skilled workers who make well above median salaries, consume things, pay taxes, and have zero long term cost to the city, province, or country. It is obviously not as good for the city, province, or country as permanent jobs. But arbitraging differences in immigration law is a fairly simple win.

Canada has tons of talent. I work with lots of Canadians every day. My manager is a Canadian. But because they can work so easily in the US and get paid easily 2x more initially (and the gap only rises), there is almost no incentive at all for talented Canadians to work in Canada. Even the few large tech companies that do have permanent offices in Canada pay their Canadian employees substantially less than their American ones, from what I understand (and I'm sure your prospects for career advancement are also much worse).

quote:

According to federal Labour Market Opinions issued by Employment and Social Development Canada, Facebook successfully applied for 88 software engineers and four production engineers -- both jobs requiring only a bachelor's degree and English proficiency -- as well as one position of "Audience Researcher, Vertical Measurement" which required a PhD.

:lol:

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 13, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whiteycar posted:

Real cool man, what is this the Calgary Sun comments section?

Please: defend that heinous waste of flesh, who claims we need lower speed limits because drivers are irresponsible, and who says she'd ban me from smoking in my own back yard if she could because she's a bitter old ex-smoker crone.

I'm guessing if we were in the UK she'd be one of the joyless old hags celebrating the fact that Jeremy Clarkson's no longer on the BBC, with his loud cars and other such antics. She is emblematic of a detestable class of people, shown over and over again by her statements and policy priorities.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 13, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Paul Luke
@provmoney
BC jobless rate jumps to 6.0% in Feb. from 5.6% in Jan. as employment drops by 7,000: StatsCan #BCjobs

https://twitter.com/provmoney/status/576388265487384576

Who needs jobs? RE keeps going up and people are getting wealthier

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/on-household-debt-canadians-cant-stop-lying-to-themselves/

quote:

Canadians can’t stop lying to themselves about their debt
It’s clear Canadians are caught in a debt trap. The more they talk about digging themselves out, the deeper they sink.

To absolutely no one’s surprise, Canadian households continue to pile on more debt. The latest figures from Statistics Canada released Thursday reveal the level of credit-market debt to disposable household income hit an all time record of 163.3 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2014. This means that for ever $1 in disposable income, Canadians carry $1.63 of debt. That’s up substantially from $1.30 a decade ago.

Many Canadians seem to know they’ve got a debt problem. They seem know they have to tighten their budgets, save more, and chip away at their credit card, line of credit and mortgage balances. And they seem to know they can’t keep on borrowing and living beyond their means forever. Only, they also seem completely powerless to rein themselves in.

Each December for the past few years CIBC has released a survey of Canadians and their financial priorities, and each year a growing number of people have said their goal is to pay down their debt. In the most recent poll, the share of respondents who said debt repayment was a “top priority” rose to 22 per cent from 14 per cent in 2011.

Now here’s what’s happened to debt-to-income levels over that time. (For best results on mobile, view chart in landscape mode.)

quote:

It’s important to remember that the debt to income ratio is an average. So while roughly one-third of Canadian households have no debt at all, a relatively small segment—about 12 per cent—carry more than 40 per cent of all debt. These highly indebted households have debt-to-income ratios ranging from 250 per cent to more than 450 per cent.

quote:

The recent jump in the household debt-to-income ratio also came before Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz surprised everyone by cutting the overnight rate to 0.75 per cent from one per cent, where it had lingered since 2010. That’s almost certain to spur additional borrowing, and if incomes continue to stall out, the household imbalance is likely to break new records in the quarters ahead.

It’s clear Canadians are caught in a debt trap. The more they talk about digging themselves out, the deeper they sink.

but it's ok because debt service payments are still low keep buying motherfuckers

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/576395478654410752

eat a loving dick canada

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

This is pretty hard to admit in this thread.

I'm the pretty typical Canadian in this respect. No matter how much I *mentally* prioritize saving, it just never seems to happen because of my inability to control spending. Thanks to our DINK status, it's really not a problem...now, but it could quite easily become a problem in the future if the economy takes a poo poo.

I'm a fairly smart guy, and I have all kinds of really technical hobbies, yet I can't seem to get my head around the financial industry. Every time I sit down and start trying to learn something about it just feels so loving overwhelming that I say gently caress it and lose interest. I read this thread, see the stats, make sense of them and think I know what I should be doing. But transferring that into something actionable is a failing on my part and I don't really know how to address it. It all just feels like such a undertaking that I take the easy path of "gently caress it! short term happiness!"

If I had a cheat sheet of "just do this poo poo" even if it wasn't the most economical/efficient way to do things, that's fine, because it has to be better than what I'm doing now.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

midge posted:

This is pretty hard to admit in this thread.

I'm the pretty typical Canadian in this respect. No matter how much I *mentally* prioritize saving, it just never seems to happen because of my inability to control spending. Thanks to our DINK status, it's really not a problem...now, but it could quite easily become a problem in the future if the economy takes a poo poo.

I'm a fairly smart guy, and I have all kinds of really technical hobbies, yet I can't seem to get my head around the financial industry. Every time I sit down and start trying to learn something about it just feels so loving overwhelming that I say gently caress it and lose interest. I read this thread, see the stats, make sense of them and think I know what I should be doing. But transferring that into something actionable is a failing on my part and I don't really know how to address it. It all just feels like such a undertaking that I take the easy path of "gently caress it! short term happiness!"

If I had a cheat sheet of "just do this poo poo" even if it wasn't the most economical/efficient way to do things, that's fine, because it has to be better than what I'm doing now.

Why do you need to understand the financial industry? Is there some black magic to spending less than you make and not buying poo poo on credit? Here, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8hTzUoI54 and then go to BFC. It even has French sub-titles to be Canada compliant!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

MickeyFinn posted:

Why do you need to understand the financial industry? Is there some black magic to spending less than you make and not buying poo poo on credit? Here, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8hTzUoI54 and then go to BFC. It even has French sub-titles to be Canada compliant!

The game feels like it's not designed for people to understand it. The banks are making 20% on credit cards while I can only make ~3% on savings, it instills this apathy in me that I can't shake. While I understand the reason for posting the video, I can afford the things I buy it just goes into the "put it on the Credit Card, pay it off on payday" cycle that I live by. Like I said, it's not an easy thing to put yourself in front of the firing squad; I know it's a bullshit way to go.

\/ Holy gently caress. This is not my situation. I'm not carrying debt. I'm just not making ground at the speed I'd like either.

midge fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 13, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/on-household-debt-canadians-cant-stop-lying-to-themselves/

but it's ok because debt service payments are still low keep buying motherfuckers

This is basically a former roommate of mine. $55k+/yr at an easy-rear end IT gig, somehow had $35,000 (and climbing) in high interest credit card debt. Constantly complained about how it hung over his head, yet ate out for breakfast lunch and dinner and went out drinking regularly. When he did buy groceries, he never ate a single thing and it all just rotted in the fridge. New toys every month.

Moved back in with his parents at middle-age so that he could save enough to go to Australia for a year, without paying off his credit cards. :psyboom:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

midge posted:

The game feels like it's not designed for people to understand it. The banks are making 20% on credit cards while I can only make ~3% on savings, it instills this apathy in me that I can't shake.

Right there you've made the first step. You understand that financial institutions are going to soak your rear end.

The next steps are too about this. You've admitted you have sperglord tendencies with hobbies. Finance is a perfect for you. Start up a Google spreadsheet with your partner and figure out how much money you want to save for retirement.

And read the Canadian finance thread in bfc.

Did I remember to tell you to read the Canadian finance thread in bfc?

Read the Canadian finance thread in bfc.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rime posted:

This is basically a former roommate of mine. $55k+/yr at an easy-rear end IT gig, somehow had $35,000 (and climbing) in high interest credit card debt. Constantly complained about how it hung over his head, yet ate out for breakfast lunch and dinner and went out drinking regularly. When he did buy groceries, he never ate a single thing and it all just rotted in the fridge. New toys every month.

Moved back in with his parents at middle-age so that he could save enough to go to Australia for a year, without paying off his credit cards. :psyboom:

You know what is real sad? I know this person too and was questioning his decision to go to Australia for a year. If you want to visit that country so badly, just go spend a weekend in Whistler.

To shore up cash, he's expecting to sell his whitebox PCs for ~$1,000 or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

midge posted:

The game feels like it's not designed for people to understand it. The banks are making 20% on credit cards while I can only make ~3% on savings, it instills this apathy in me that I can't shake. While I understand the reason for posting the video, I can afford the things I buy it just goes into the "put it on the Credit Card, pay it off on payday" cycle that I live by. Like I said, it's not an easy thing to put yourself in front of the firing squad; I know it's a bullshit way to go.

It's actually pretty simple as long as you're not looking to game the system short-term. Long-term investments require cold nerves rather then any real expertise. Like CI said, read the canadian finance thread in bfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We buy stupid expensive poo poo all the time like $500 chairs, eat out for lunch or dinner way too often, are renting a 2br place in an expensive building simply because I want a room for my expensive choo-choo trains all on a combined yearly income under what a lot of people individually in this thread make yet we still manage to save a lot and invest it. There's no financial voodoo, just spend less than you take in every month and put that difference in savings. Set a minimum amount for your savings account, something like a month's living expenses, and then put the rest into your investments.

It's just like weight loss. It's as "easy" as eating less than you burn in energy. But food, like spending, is addictive to people.