Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PresidentBeard posted:

Supporting any hashtag "activism" is evidence of brain injury even if it wasn't as monumentally stupid as ethics in games journalism. If a group is anyone who writes something into a tweet, that isn't a group. It's a chant and is on the same level as bumper sticker slogans. Twitter "movements" are the dumbest things about our generation.

I'd actually say the rapid spread of education about social issues amongst people under 30 is directly related to people saying things online. What about the use of twitter to publish information coming out of places like Ferguson and the middle east?

Exactly how is it evidence of brain injury?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

[Sargon's Patreon] ate my hamster

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Exactly how is it evidence of brain injury?

I hate when people talk like this because it's so loving obviously ablest and people really should know this. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, seriously gently caress anyone who uses "brain damage" as an insult.

And you're right, the internet has actually been a huge help to social justice through informing and teaching people. It's not slacktivism, it's making the world a better place, slowly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's fine, but claiming that the hashtag itself is the movement is dumb. When you're actually doing something even if it's just a blog about the issue that cites sources, then you can claim identity. Claiming identity to something with literally qualifications and no barrier of entry means that your movement can and will be hi-jacked by the worst sort of individuals. Look at occupy after all.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe I just don't understand how any pervious generation, or how people having the tools to publish their thoughts to an audience is a worse alternative to not having it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PresidentBeard posted:

That's fine, but claiming that the hashtag itself is the movement is dumb. When you're actually doing something even if it's just a blog about the issue that cites sources, then you can claim identity. Claiming identity to something with literally qualifications and no barrier of entry means that your movement can and will be hi-jacked by the worst sort of individuals. Look at occupy after all.

Oh sure I get that, I don't find it historically unique to internet movements though. Any pluralistic mass movement is open to hi-jacking by charismatic people.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Maybe I just don't understand how any pervious generation, or how people having the tools to publish their thoughts to an audience is a worse alternative to not having it.
I never said it was. Just don't say that you blanket agree with someone because they included the right #word in their statement. It's an extension of the same sort of tribalism that previous generations used to create our terrible two party system. Though the blanket agreement with people in a single political party is far more dangerous and outright damaging that a kid being an idiot about online activism.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's something to be said on the reaction to HeForShe or BlackLivesMatters or ICantBreathe vs let's say, JeSuisCharlie or BringBackOurBoys.

Ooor when folk go "See, these people are going out and doing things, instead of complaining online" and end up supporting Ukranian Neo-Nazis, Egyptian Military Coup, Brazilian "Hey let's go back the military dictatorship because we lost to Dilma" types and so on.

What I'm saying is to be somewhat aware of what folk are suggesting instead of #talkingaboutthissortofcrapthroughthishashtag.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

This is #unbelievable

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rebochan posted:

This is #unbelievable

OH!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YOUR GIRL!?? WHEN DID SHE BECOME YOUR GIRL!???

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

WickedHate posted:

I hate when people talk like this because it's so loving obviously ablest and people really should know this. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, seriously gently caress anyone who uses "brain damage" as an insult.

And you're right, the internet has actually been a huge help to social justice through informing and teaching people. It's not slacktivism, it's making the world a better place, slowly.

I think I got brain damage from reading this.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I make brain damage jokes. I'm literally brain damaged. (Cerebral Palsy, look it up) :smug:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Jerry: "I think he got brain damage just for the jokes!"

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 12, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Violet_Sky posted:

I make brain damage jokes. I'm literally brain damaged. (Cerebral Palsy, look it up) :smug:
Get back to your breakfast, Jr. :smuggo:
(I bet you got remarks along those lines quite often in recent years)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Zedd posted:

Get back to your breakfast, Jr. :smuggo:
(I bet you got remarks along those lines quite often in recent years)

Until his dad kicked their asses for making fun of his pants.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To get this back on track, I watched on of Doug Walker's video reviews, this one for Small Soldiers.

So, okay, he spends half the review making comparisons to Gremlins, and then gets confused when the "family film", as he puts it, ends up with some extremely hosed up imagery in it. It's loving Joe Dante. The guy basically lived on skewering American capitalism and nuclear families. How can you be so aware of what is happening and yet so tone deaf at the same time?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 12, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

How can you be so aware of what is happening and yet so tone deaf at the same time?

That's Doug in a nutshell.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

To get this back on track, I watched on of Doug Walker's video reviews, this one for Small Soldiers.

So, okay, he spends half the review making comparisons to Gremlins, and then gets confused when the "family film", as he puts it, ends up with some extremely hosed up imagery in it. It's loving Joe Dante. The guy basically lived on skewering American capitalism and nuclear families. How can you be so aware of what is happening and yet so tone deaf at the same time?

We're talking about a guy that makes his living pointing a fake gun at the camera and yelling a lot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He also didn't seem to get that Last Action Hero was supposed to be a parody of action movies.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

He also didn't seem to get that Last Action Hero was supposed to be a parody of action movies.

I was gonna post this earlier as an example of "Doug Doesn't Understand Things Everyone Else Does." I can understand not liking something or whatever but so many time's he misses the loving point and I do not get it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Leal posted:

Another movie I like that didn't do well critically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess he doesn't do much more than basic research on those kinds of films? I have no idea how he misses some of these things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a feeling he just doesn't get satire or parody, which both of these particular films thrive on. How he also missed out on the fact that the Commando Elite were supposed to be exaggerated caricatures of "heroic" army worship action figures is beyond me.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess he doesn't do much more than basic research on those kinds of films? I have no idea how he misses some of these things.

It seems kinda obvious he never really intends to do anything more than a really shallow review. Any more depth than that probably would interfere with the whole angry review gimmick.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think it's more just that it's hard to be funny if there isn't a problem. He's there to pick holes in the movie and over react to the absurdity of them. Hard to do if the absurdity of the movie is kind of the point.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tracula posted:

I was gonna post this earlier as an example of "Doug Doesn't Understand Things Everyone Else Does." I can understand not liking something or whatever but so many time's he misses the loving point and I do not get it.

Add computers and filmmaking to that list.

I do have a question. I've noticed a few people who are or were on TGWTG working on movies (Spoony and Linkara come to mind). Why is this? Linkara is making an AT4W movie? WHY? The Linkara "character" is not interesting enough to make a movie about? Did they see AVGN and say "I wanna do that too!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought Spoony's latest review was a way of getting out of making a movie.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Spoony is not making a movie, full stop. For one thing he doesn't have the discipline to complete a project like that, and for another thing his Patreon has dipped below the 5K 'I'm gonna make a movie' mark so he technically has an out.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought Spoony's latest review was a way of getting out of making a movie.

No, the patreon dipping down due to his laziness is what got him out of making a movie. Why did he think making a movie was a good patreon milestone is beyond me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What would a Spoony movie even look like? The guy doesn't really do huge arcing plots like Linkara, so it's not like it can just be a continuation of that. And it's not like it would be a singular huge review, because his signature schtick is already huge, multi-hour reviews.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's done Vlogs that are longer than some films, so that's probably what you would get because he never finishes anything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

What would a Spoony movie even look like? The guy doesn't really do huge arcing plots like Linkara, so it's not like it can just be a continuation of that.

He's had some kind of plot going on for years where he's (apparently) locked up somewhere under experimentation, but there's only been quick flashes and foreshadowing. I'm actually pissed off he STILL hasn't resolved any of that.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

WickedHate posted:

He's had some kind of plot going on for years where he's (apparently) locked up somewhere under experimentation, but there's only been quick flashes and foreshadowing. I'm actually pissed off he STILL hasn't resolved any of that.

I thought that was his initial ripoff idea of MST3K?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PassTheRemote posted:

The Linkara "character" is not interesting enough to make a movie about?

Isn't Linkara's storylines full of copyrighted characters? How would he even release that without being slapped with a copyright suit? Though I guess if Suburban Knights hasn't had any problems...

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It seems kinda obvious he never really intends to do anything more than a really shallow review. Any more depth than that probably would interfere with the whole angry review gimmick.

In his Sailor Moon review iirc he acts like Jadeite is a character that sticks around and is constantly causing problems when he gets axed off in like 10 or so episodes :v:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

PassTheRemote posted:

Add computers and filmmaking to that list.

I do have a question. I've noticed a few people who are or were on TGWTG working on movies (Spoony and Linkara come to mind). Why is this? Linkara is making an AT4W movie? WHY? The Linkara "character" is not interesting enough to make a movie about? Did they see AVGN and say "I wanna do that too!"

Linkara's terrible storyline are surprisingly popular and he is really into it. I mean, he has a series of self-published novels, a webcomic and a self-published limited comic series. I guess he is just one of those people who really want to tell a story but don't have the technical skill to realize it on a greater scale. But the success of AT4W gave him an audience and the money to do so. And while I don't think the plot will be anything to write home about, I guess you can assume the technical aspect will be handled well, since he had the foresight to actually use the money he raised to hire some professional people to do the heavy lifting for him.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fans posted:

I think it's more just that it's hard to be funny if there isn't a problem. He's there to pick holes in the movie and over react to the absurdity of them. Hard to do if the absurdity of the movie is kind of the point.

Oh no, he genuienly doesn't get it a lot of times. I remember when Doug interviewed Noah for Shut Up and Talk they discussed Last Action Hero as a shoot without any character and Doug still failed to underatand it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Linkara's terrible storyline are surprisingly popular and he is really into it.

I used to visit the Channel Awesome discussion forum, and I remember this one guy had a thread where he asked an open question about whether he could use the Nintendo Power Glove in the storylines for his reviews; apparently, Linkara had used one as a prop, and the fellow felt he ought to get permission. Of course, this prompted a few people to ask what he was reviewing, and his response was approximately, "Oh, I haven't decided yet, and I haven't made any videos, but I thought I should have all my storylines fleshed out before I worry about that." :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If I understand Doug, I think his problem with Last Action Hero is the same with Enchanted: he doesn't like movies that have to explain what they're suppose to be making fun of. He prefers movies like Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein where they parody movies, but they don't point out the jokes and explain why they're ridiculous. At least, that's what I gathered.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I encounter a similar problem with making videos too. To be funny, you kind of have to dial down the real criticisms of something and find ways to get the idea across quicker and in a simpler way. If you boil it down too far, you get at best amusing nonsense and at worst nonsense.

Of course, a real pro finds ways to communicate smart ideas using seemingly-simple comedy, but I can't think of anyone (in the internet video schtick anyway) who does that yet.

• Locked thread