Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Necc0 posted:

i've just spent the past two days chasing my own tail trying to get what seemed like a super easy fix into this system only to find that whatever dipshit wrote this code decided he was going to re-calculate this one value multiple times at random places all throughout the stack. so far it's been calculated in five un-related javascript functions with different entry/exit points, in two places on the backend that I know of, and i wouldn't be loving surprised if there's a trigger in the DB calculating it as well. instead of hunting all this garbage down and fixing it i'm just throwing my own, correct, code at the very end and washing my hands of it. it's me. i'm the terrible programmer

this is the sixth time this conclusion has been reached

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
imagine homer's makeup shotgun but instead of eye-liner and lipstick it's international customs charges calculations

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Bloody posted:

this is the sixth time this conclusion has been reached

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Django s templating language is really good compared to Freemarker or whatever other poo poo is available

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

mild lens use is by far the least bad way to deal with multiple nested data tyles

yeah I realized after my poo poo post that it's probably somewhat useful.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Valeyard posted:

Django s templating language is really good compared to Freemarker or whatever other poo poo is available

jade is not bad after you get over the syntax. it does the no-human-should-write-xml idea pretty well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

imagine homer's makeup shotgun but instead of eye-liner and lipstick it's international customs charges calculations

i dont think you can fault the original developer for using real world modeling.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
wow, Spicey is a declarative E-R web framework written in Curry, that functional logic programming language what's like Haskell and PROLOG had a baby

code:

listCommentController :: Controller
listCommentController = do
  comments <- runQ (queryAll (\c->let key free in comment key c))
  return (listCommentView comments
                          showCommentController
                          editCommentController
                          deleteCommentController)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
way to mix business and presentation pft

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i am the great algolia

i need db for my bung hole

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Necc0 posted:

i've just spent the past two days chasing my own tail trying to get what seemed like a super easy fix into this system only to find that whatever dipshit wrote this code decided he was going to re-calculate this one value multiple times at random places all throughout the stack. so far it's been calculated in five un-related javascript functions with different entry/exit points, in two places on the backend that I know of, and i wouldn't be loving surprised if there's a trigger in the DB calculating it as well. instead of hunting all this garbage down and fixing it i'm just throwing my own, correct, code at the very end and washing my hands of it. it's me. i'm the terrible programmer

same but it calculates it once straightforward and a second time with a bunch of data from someone who decided that modifying a database entry would be easier to do by retrieving it in .net, deleting it from the db, inserting a blank entry, updating it in the db with the new data, and randomly saving two entries if you press save too fast is a good way to do things

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Luigi Thirty posted:

same but it calculates it once straightforward and a second time with a bunch of data from someone who decided that modifying a database entry would be easier to do by retrieving it in .net, deleting it from the db, inserting a blank entry, updating it in the db with the new data, and randomly saving two entries if you press save too fast is a good way to do things

this guy seems like he knows what he wants out of life

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Valeyard posted:

i wish there was a django in a nice staticly typed language
maybe asp.net will fulfil that when .net core is finished

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

my stepdads beer posted:

i wish there was a django in a nice staticly typed language
maybe asp.net will fulfil that when .net core is finished

spring boot?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Oh yeah
code:

public static TOut Do<TIn,TOut> (this TIn source, Func<TIn, TOut> function){
    return function(source);
}

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

gonadic io posted:

i'm assuming that you're trying to work it out yourself rather than just using a library function (it's in Data.List). male shoegaze is right in that you need to use recusion but also list comprehensions:

it starts:

perm xs = [ x:ys | x <- xs, ys <- ??????? xs]

this way each of the l elements of the list is at the front of a permuted list exactly l times.

i forgot to come back and say i managed to get it working

code:
perm :: Eq a => [a] -> [[a]]
perm [] = [[]]
perm xs = [x:ys | x <- xs, ys <- perm (deleteFirst xs x)]
	where deleteFirst = \(x:xs) b -> if b == x then xs else x: deleteFirst xs b

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yep!

no need to reimplement Data.List.delete though.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

gonadic io posted:

yep!

no need to reimplement Data.List.delete though.

im not allowed to use any library functions afaik, so i did it just in case

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

im not allowed to use any library functions afaik

i hate stupid poo poo like this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

It only exists because the teacher cba updating their 15 year old assignments

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

It only exists because the teacher cba updating their 15 year old assignments

i had an exercise last year where half the marks where for implementing a concurrent hashmap in java. when he found out that one already came built in he blamed it on being a really recent new java feature

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

gotta build everything from the ground up!

i dont really begrudge them for it, if im meant to be learning how this poo poo works just dropping library references everywhere that do everything for me isnt gonna help

if your ultimate goal is not to learn how a hashmap works though then go gently caress them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

i had an exercise last year where half the marks where for implementing a concurrent hashmap in java. when he found out that one already came built in he blamed it on being a really recent new java feature
do you go to heriot watt by any chance valeyard, that is my alma mater

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

St Evan Echoes posted:

do you go to heriot watt by any chance valeyard, that is my alma mater

He goes to the birthplace of haskell I think

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Why is angular so loving stupid for just doing ajax and data binding.

Why is debugging promises so poo poo.

Why shrek is piiiiiiiiiiís

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
re: stupid professors

recent algos class had assignments in 'c++', but we weren't allowed to use STL structures or functions :psyduck:

e: justification was that they were too slow, obviously!!

my homie dhall fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 12, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

He goes to the birthplace of haskell I think

correcto

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ploft-shell crab posted:

re: stupid professors

recent algos class had assignments in 'c++', but we weren't allowed to use STL structures or functions :psyduck:

if the point of the assignment isn't to implement those structures or functions then that's p. funny yeah

but as a TA i had to deal with a lot of shithead sophomores who would hand in their data structures assignment with just a few function calls all :smug: and get pissed when i'd fail them

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
do they put "birthplace of haskell" in the brochures?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i know i've been complaining about chef alot but seriously gently caress trying to automate a deploy and database migration on opsworks where event lifecycles cause weird edge cases that are ridiculously hard to guard against

ffffuuuuuuuckkkk iittttt

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
just decided to look at my git statistics. my net lines of code added to this repository is -630,000. i think thats good. imo.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

just decided to look at my git statistics. my net lines of code added to this repository is -630,000. i think thats good. imo.

deleting code >>>>>>>>> writing code

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, that's a lot of debt you have to pay off

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there's a line number to time on the job ratio (absolute value of, of course( that is acceptable. anything else means you're just committing lots of assets.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Has anyone ever used octive and how bad of a programmer will I look like if I work on a project written in matlab? There's a machine learning algorithm that some mathematician guy wrote and I guess he probably wasn't that pro of a mathematician because he wrote it in friggin matlab instead of a bespoke autist language.

It's a pretty interesting project and my only apprehension about it is getting a wedgie from some sr software engineer in an interview when I mention my buzzwordiest machine learning experience in the future and not spending more of my probably worthless time becoming a ~*java professional*~

Also I haven't seen the code yet but I have read an academic publication on it so at least I know it sorta works well enough to spit back a line plot of accumulated falsepositive errors.

Bad programmer thread implies that i am too lazy and or dumb to JUST PORT IT TO X and I especially don't want to spend time building a matlab-coollang rosetta stone in my head

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Marzzle posted:

Has anyone ever used octive and how bad of a programmer will I look like if I work on a project written in matlab? There's a machine learning algorithm that some mathematician guy wrote and I guess he probably wasn't that pro of a mathematician because he wrote it in friggin matlab instead of a bespoke autist language.

It's a pretty interesting project and my only apprehension about it is getting a wedgie from some sr software engineer in an interview when I mention my buzzwordiest machine learning experience in the future and not spending more of my probably worthless time becoming a ~*java professional*~

Also I haven't seen the code yet but I have read an academic publication on it so at least I know it sorta works well enough to spit back a line plot of accumulated falsepositive errors.

Bad programmer thread implies that i am too lazy and or dumb to JUST PORT IT TO X and I especially don't want to spend time building a matlab-coollang rosetta stone in my head
i would ask about it in an interview, and would want you to be able to tell me why it seemed like a good tradeoff to keep it in matlab, what issues that caused, whether in hindsight the tradeoff was worth it, and if you would do it differently next time. bonus points if you can talk about why the project was interesting to you, and how that made it more palatable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

most stuff like that is in matlab because there's an existing function for everything you could possibly imagine and at a university it's all basically free

i actually spent the first couple years working translating professor matlab code into c++. my life would actually have been easier if the professors never eventually learned c++ and stuck to matlab but that ship has sailed now. count your blessings

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Marzzle posted:

what's the algorithm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i once did cool algorithm lovely matlab -> lovely c++ -> kinda not so bad c++ once

it took two years

i called it my master's thesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Destroyenator posted:

i would ask about it in an interview, and would want you to be able to tell me why it seemed like a good tradeoff to keep it in matlab, what issues that caused, whether in hindsight the tradeoff was worth it, and if you would do it differently next time. bonus points if you can talk about why the project was interesting to you, and how that made it more palatable.

specifically, it's interesting because it's a "hands off" way of creating classifications for the currently discovered ncRNA (it's computational biology I guess) and it would be my introduction to machine learning. from a personal perspective, i guess i find the idea that some properly implemented statics stuff and mathematical principles can turn whole eras of modern biology into something as quaint as using a slide rule appealing.

however, it means i gotta look at matlab code and that means it wouldn't be very useful if i wanted to make an html5 interface for it so i was thinking of moving it to octive (which is supposed to be the same thing as matlab sorta but OSSier)

• Locked thread