Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

A Republican Senator who's running for President has a staffer who wrote for a neo-Confederate publication and (this is the real shocker) it's not Rand Paul (this time)!

In case you don't want to click, it's Lindsey Graham.

How does a Confederate sympathizer not only register as a Republican, but work for a Republican and try to get Republicans elected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How does a Confederate sympathizer not only register as a Republican, but work for a Republican and try to get Republicans elected?

The Republicans have been the party of the South ever since the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Chamale posted:

The Republicans have been the party of the South ever since the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.

Nuh uh, Democrats are the real racists because Bob Byrd KKK *collapses, foaming at the mouth and twitching*

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

SavageBastard posted:

iirc that was the general Republican consensus.

A lot of the beltway VSPs were also saying it, since Ryan was (and for a lot of them still is) their conservative darling and was just young and dashing, whereas Biden's a buffoon, even if he was right.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Chamale posted:

On a related note, this happened last weekend

The white Confederates defending the south's honor in Selma

quote:

As thousands marched across Selma’s Edmund Pettus bridge this weekend, a small band of white people were less than a mile away, mourning the loss of the Confederacy and guarding a memorial to a white supremacist.

Live Oak cemetery is a burial site for Confederate soldiers in the civil war and contains the grave of Edmund Winston Pettus, the general – and member of the Ku Klux Klan – after whom the town’s bridge was named.

There has been a growing campaign to rename Selma’s bridge given its association with the Confederate south, and dozens of students had planned a peaceful march to the cemetery. They quickly changed plans after discovering the neo-Confederates were waiting for them.

“‘March’ is a military term,” explained Todd Kiscaden, 64, who had traveled to Selma from his home in Tennessee to defend the memorial site. “In any military context, if you’re going to march on my castle, I’m going to man my barricades.”

Selma is most famous for the violent assault on peaceful civil rights marchers on the town’s bridge in 1965. But the Alabama town was also the site of another clash: a notorious civil war battle in which Union forces defeated the pro-slavery Confederate army.

The cemetery where Pettus is buried also contains a memorial to the fallen soldiers, and a controversial monument to Nathan Bedford Forrest, the lieutenant general in the Confederate army and first Grand Wizard of the Klan.

The graveyard has long been a flashpoint between African Americans and pro-Confederate historians in the town. The graveyard has been the focus of protests before; the memorial has been vandalised and, three years ago, a bronze bust of Forrest was stolen. Kiscaden, from the group Friends of Forrest, which tends the memorial site, said they were in the process of replacing the stolen bust.

Sunday’s aborted march to the cemetery was organised by Students Unite, the Selma-based youth group behind a viral online campaign to rename the Edmund Pettus bridge. They planned to march peacefully and respectfully to the graveyard, to draw protest against the Pettus bridge name and the existence of a monument to a white supremacist.

“We’re a non-violent group,” explained John Gainey, 25, executive director of Students Unite. “We didn’t want a confrontation.”

Pat Godwin, from the Selma chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy –which owns the confederate memorial site – conceded that the marchers had said they would be peaceful. “But on their website it said they were going to be protesting,” she added.

Godwin, who lives on a ranch 15 miles out of town named Fort Dixie, showed no enthusiasm for the 50th anniversary events taking place nearby.

She described a local black woman who organises the annual commemorative events in Selma as “a race hustler”. The civil rights footsoldiers who were attacked by Alabama state troopers on what became known as Bloody Sunday in 1965 “got the resistance they were seeking”, she said.

Kiscaden, who owns a coal mine in Kentucky, had an equally peculiar interpretation of history. He disputed that Forrest was a a founding member of the Klan, which he said played a positive role in bringing about law and order in the south when it was first conceived in the 1860s. (He distinguished the original Klan from the hate group of the same name that, he conceded, orchestrated lynchings.)

“The people in the south – the white people, who were being abused – organised a neighbourhood watch to try to re-establish some order,” he said of the nascent Klan. Slavery in the south was “a bad institution”, he said, but possibly “the mildest, most humane form of slavery ever practiced”.

“If you look at the wealth created by the slaves, in food, clothing, shelter, medical care, care before you’re old enough to work, care until you died, they got 90% of the wealth that they generated,” he said. “I don’t get that. The drat government takes my money to the tune of 50%.”

Kiscaden and Godwin insisted they were not racist. But they made plain that they hankered for a revival of some of the ideals most Americans believe were defeated in 1865.

“The Confederate government never surrendered,” Kiscaden said. “So are we still in operation? Maybe we’ll find out. I happen to think that our history from 150 years ago is about to catch us.”

It would be wrong to suggest Kiscaden, Godwin and the half-dozen people who lingered around the cemetery on Sunday represent the white minority in Selma, where some white residents work hard to build relations with African Americans.

But 50 years after the march across the bridge, Selma remains racially divided. Schools are almost entirely segregated - as is the local country club which, still today, is said to maintain a white-only membership.

More overt forms of racism aren’t far from the surface, either. Some of the black families in Selma opened their front doors this weekend to find letters containing white supremacist literature on their doorsteps, wrapped in rocks. The Klan claimed responsibility for distributing 4,000 letters in Selma and Montgomery. There is no suggestion Kiscaden or Godwin had any connection to the distribution of the letters.

In the end, there was no standoff in the Live Oak cemetery on Sunday. Less than a mile away from a raucous celebration of a watershed in civil rights history, the confederate graveyard was almost eerily silent. But the mood was tense. White men and women occasionally patrolled the grounds in pickup trucks, slowing to take a good look at the occasional visitors.

The few who wandered into the cemetery – either by accident, or to see if the rumours about the neo-Confederates were really true – were stunned by what they found.

A black high school teacher from Portland, Oregon, said he was especially shocked at the sight of one man guarding the perimeter of the Confederate grave site with a German Shepherd dog. Steve Fits, the owner of the dog, denied it was there to defend the cemetery. “He’s not a guard dog,” he said. “He’s my pet.”

A short while later, Chuck Fager, 72, a junior member of Martin Luther King’s staff in the 1960s who later wrote a book about Selma, happened to wander past.

“They’re peaceable enough to talk to, but they’re very serious about their beliefs,” he said. “Most media don’t pay attention to these folks and I think that’s a mistake. They’re a real group, they have real support, and they’re up to stuff that we don’t always see or hear about.”

Video interview at the link

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
:staredog:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

A lot of the beltway VSPs were also saying it, since Ryan was (and for a lot of them still is) their conservative darling and was just young and dashing, whereas Biden's a buffoon, even if he was right.

Ryan seems to have zero national profile since losing the election. Certainly a lot less than Mitt. I suspect he and the GOP bigwigs all realize he doesn't have the political mojo for a national run.

And that backwards ball cap dumbbell photo will haunt him to his grave.

Edit: I like it that that photo, and one of him washing dishes, will someday be the question in a political history trivia game.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes, I too think that chattel slavery was a mostly benign institution done by noble gentlemen looking to uplift Afr----

I can't do it.

:smithicide:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

quote:

“‘March’ is a military term,” explained Todd Kiscaden, 64, who had traveled to Selma from his home in Tennessee to defend the memorial site. “In any military context, if you’re going to march on my castle, I’m going to man my barricades.”
Other threats to his castle: madness, dimes, penguins.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Slaan posted:

Yes, I too think that chattel slavery was a mostly benign institution done by noble gentlemen looking to uplift Afr----

I can't do it.

:smithicide:

Remember CPAC 2013? When some shithead sheltered white boy said that Frederick Douglass should be grateful to his master for giving him free food and shelter for years?

quote:

“If you look at the wealth created by the slaves, in food, clothing, shelter, medical care, care before you’re old enough to work, care until you died, they got 90% of the wealth that they generated,” he said. “I don’t get that. The drat government takes my money to the tune of 50%.”

Why am I not surprised this guy has no clue how progressive income taxes work.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Radish posted:

If Ryan had grabbed Biden by the hair and slammed his face on the table repeatedly those same people would have been pumping their fists in happiness. They don't care about "meanness" it's just they know in their hearts their lameass candidate got beaten clearly and fairly and they had to rationalize it somehow that Biden somehow cheated or was rude just like how Obama clearly got elected through underhanded tricks they can't quite explain.
Yeah, when one side says "He came across as really mean!" after a debate, it's an admission that their guy got his rear end kicked in. Note: this doesn't apply to debates with female candidates, where coming on too strong does make you look like a classless bully and probably costs you more votes than you pick up. The 2000 NY Senate debate between Rick Lazio and obscure unknown first-time candidate Hillary Clinton was a good example of this dynamic at work.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
CPAC Straw Poll in super small town Boone, IA this year, instead of Ames. gently caress my life.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

duz posted:

Why do you keep saying homebrew? There's been no indication that it was anything of the sort or do you just not know that has a different meaning and you're going off that awful AP article?

Literally the only reason this is still a thing is because:

One person: "The Clinton email controversy! Controversy! CONTROVERSY!"
Fifteen people: "What? No, that's dumb. You're dumb. Here's why you're dumb. Stop being dumb."
Original person: "Boy there sure are a lot of people defending what's going on for something that isn't a controversy :smug:"

he says, being one of the fifteen people and making it worse

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Gyges posted:

Come now, this is Florida, friend. Back in 98 or 2000 or so we passed a constitutional amendment to get high speed rail in Florida. There was to be a line linking Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville with eventual links to St. Petersburg and Tallahassee. A majority of the state had spoken. However Jeb and other Republicans utterly hated this idea. Spend money on MY STATE? gently caress You! I believe this is around when a class size limitation amendment was also passed, which similarly had their panties all up in a bunch.

The very next election they got an amendment on the ballot that would repeal the high speed rail, because Oh Lawdy that's too expensive! It passed thanks to Jeb and his crew's agitation. It passed and Florida once again had no high speed rail. The amendment to repeal the class size amendment however failed by some magical means. Shortly afterward we passed an amendment that required all future amendments to pass by at least 60%, making such tactics much harder.

Later under Charlie Crist the state got a grant to once again build the high speed railway. Of course since this was dirty, filthy Obama money Rick Scott shitcanned the idea as one of his first acts as Governor. Because he didn't know how, but it was definitely going to cost the State.

So Florida had High Speed Rail despite the wishes of Bush, then lost High Speed Rail because of the machinations of Bush, then had High Speed Rail because Charlie Crist wasn't a complete loving idiot, then lost it again because Rick Scott is a complete loving idiot.

Florida!

I missed that early phase. I didn't arrive til Jeb!'s 2nd term. When I was living there, it was just a nice idea that the grant came in for. I do remember people protesting cutting more development and a rail ROW through the I-4 corridor (those WELCOME TO ORLAMPA signs), but I thought that was NIMBY environmentalists.

But hey, you can take a free train on weekends to Magic games :downs:

What's the rule on Rubio running for Senate/POTUS/VP concurrently?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I don't think Florida has a rule against it, unlike Kentucky, but even if there is I'm sure our corrupt-as-hell legislature would agree to waive it for Rubio.

I'd kill for that proposed rail line. I already ride the train to and from work every day!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

duz posted:

Why do you keep saying homebrew? There's been no indication that it was anything of the sort or do you just not know that has a different meaning and you're going off that awful AP article?

So how was the server setup?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TEAYCHES posted:

So how was the server setup?

Hopefully on Win Server 2008, 2012 keeps win8s dumb UI.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

On a related note, this happened last weekend

The white Confederates defending the south's honor in Selma

Video interview at the link

I lust for white death.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm not racist, but let me tell you something about black people

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cliven Bundy posted:

I'm not racist, but let me tell you something about the negro

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Haha I love how the dude got PNG'd by Fox News just a week after becoming a right-wing hero for saying something a significant part of their viewer base probably believes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Why am I not surprised this guy has no clue how progressive income taxes work.

Is this some wierd American thing, not understanding graduated taxation that is. I've heard accounts of people saying this sort of thing in America here and in other sites on numerous occasions.

We have a similar taxation system in the Uk, but I've never seen or heard of anyone saying something so ridiculousabout their personal taxation. I mean how profoundly dumb/uncurious do you have to be not to find out how your taxes work the first time you get a paycheck. Even then by the time your an adult, shouldn't you have picked up the details just by osmosis from books/tv/the people around you just from being alive and interacting with the world?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Americans basically created a whole new level of stupid. The sheer ignorance of Americans about how their own country works is staggering.

I honestly don't know how the country manages to function.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Apparently the Venn diagram between people who would consider voting for Hilary and people who think this is pretty suspect and worth discussing has no overlap. The idea that an elected official could do this and then go 'welp, phones are hard, whatja gonna do?' and get vehemently defended in such absolutist terms boggles my mind.

I would prefer that elected officials use the proper channels for their official communications. This is like corporate world 1st day mandatory training stuff. It looks shady as hell and I wouldn't be happy with someone like Cheney self-censoring what he thought should be turned over after getting asked, no matter how technologically inept he claims to be.

Was listening to All Things Considered yesterday, and they were reporting the results of a State Dept. watchgroup's audit, showing that of the millions of emails sent around government servers. Something like only 61,000 were saved. Crazy numbers. The whole thing is hosed. How do we know what any of these people are doing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Chalets the Baka posted:

Americans basically created a whole new level of stupid. The sheer ignorance of Americans about how their own country works is staggering.

Being aggressively dumb and insistent that you aren't is one thing, but as a day-to-day person would you want to stare into this abyss all day? I have some sort of disease of the soul that makes me gawk at it but I don't blame anyone for throwing up their hands and just trying to live instead of studying up on all the ways they're being hosed over.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

Is this some wierd American thing, not understanding graduated taxation that is. I've heard accounts of people saying this sort of thing in America here and in other sites on numerous occasions.

We have a similar taxation system in the Uk, but I've never seen or heard of anyone saying something so ridiculousabout their personal taxation. I mean how profoundly dumb/uncurious do you have to be not to find out how your taxes work the first time you get a paycheck. Even then by the time your an adult, shouldn't you have picked up the details just by osmosis from books/tv/the people around you just from being alive and interacting with the world?

Yes. People think all of their income is taxed at the rate the highest bracket is taxed at, even if their income doesn't come within two brackets of that bracket.

My favorite reaction to taxation is the people who say they'll stop working every year as soon as they hit a certain bracket. That's pretty cool of your employer to let you take a 3 month or whatever sabbatical every year, bro. Or maybe they just quit and reapply every year. Makes sense.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

American dialogue about taxation is essentially, "Taxes... bad?" "Taxes BAD!"

In other words, we don't really educate people about how taxes work without them kind of explicitly seeking it out, and as long as you aren't itemizing everything, tax forms are really easy to fill out each year and there's no breakdown of how or why you get or don't get a return. I personally didn't pay attention enough to care about how taxes worked until I was an adult, and since the dialogue on taxation is so loving negative, people are actually willing to entertain the notion that our tax system is literally stupid and has horrific perverse incentives at the most basic level.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes. People think all of their income is taxed at the rate the highest bracket is taxed at, even if their income doesn't come within two brackets of that bracket.

My favorite reaction to taxation is the people who say they'll stop working every year as soon as they hit a certain bracket. That's pretty cool of your employer to let you take a 3 month or whatever sabbatical every year, bro. Or maybe they just quit and reapply every year. Makes sense.

I don't have specific examples, but I've heard of dumb business owners who basically set their salary at some arbitrary number just below a bracket level because they don't understand how progressive taxation works and think they'll somehow lose money if they make a dollar more.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 12, 2015

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

Apparently the Venn diagram between people who would consider voting for Hilary and people who think this is pretty suspect and worth discussing has no overlap. The idea that an elected official could do this and then go 'welp, phones are hard, whatja gonna do?' and get vehemently defended in such absolutist terms boggles my mind.

I would prefer that elected officials use the proper channels for their official communications. This is like corporate world 1st day mandatory training stuff. It looks shady as hell and I wouldn't be happy with someone like Cheney self-censoring what he thought should be turned over after getting asked, no matter how technologically inept he claims to be.

Also, noted Fox-affliated rag 'The AP' is getting in on the action: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/11/ap-files-lawsuit-to-force-clinton-email-release/70151508/

Let me rephrase: This is not a good thing she did. But it is not going to have any impact on her electability, nor is it going to be something that acts as turning point for undecided voters.

On one hand, this is a woman who has been accused of nearly every possible crime by her opponents; of money laundering, murder, infidelity, bribery and likely unpaid parking tickets. She's spent very literally twenty-five years being smeared, slandered and attacked (both with and without proof) non-stop. We're just coming off of her getting through a months-long witch hunt to try and slap her with treason charges (that coincidentally went through all her emails and utterly failed to notice this supposed scandal) that pundits are still talking about four years after the fact. Who's honestly out there going "Well, I know that maybe she did or didn't have something to do with Benghazi but my god she didn't have her email server configured properly? That bitch!"? The GOP's spent so many years crying wolf about her for so many things that if you give half a poo poo about her email security then you've already got a million other more serious problems with her from everything else that's been levelled at her over the years; and if you don't care about any of that, why in hell would THIS be the straw that broke the camel's back?

On the other hand, this also has no effect on expectations on her governing ability. No one really thinks she's going to be some kind of liberal bastion or a hero of the people. This is one of a ton of issues that show her to be kinda a lousy person and rather suspect. However, her opponents are people who are openly discussing military coups to get what they want, are actively undermining our international treaties, are agitating to go to war with anywhere between three and seven countries, openly consider somewhere around 60% of their own citizens to be subhuman, and we're just talking about what they've said and done this week. Hillary could be a baby-eating cannibal and she's still likely a better choice than what she's up against. I don't give a drat about where she stores her emails because at the end of the day her opponent is going to likely plunge us back into the dark ages, except with more bombs.

If you're going to vote against someone because they went 'welp, phones are hard, whatja gonna do?' and their opponent is going 'welp, the Bible says we gotta stone the gays, whatja gonna do?', you have seriously hosed priorities but I will concede that the Venn diagram does meet for one tiny asinine point.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chalets the Baka posted:

There are 300+ million of us. You're displaying some of your own bias/ignorance in lumping us all together. If Americans are all as stupid as you say then why do so many people from around the world want to come here to study at our universities? Certainly not because they expect to be trained on how to take their ignorance to a new level.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bobtheconqueror posted:

I don't have specific examples, but I've heard of dumb business owners who basically set their salary at some arbitrary number just below a bracket level because they don't understand how progressive taxation works and think they'll somehow lose money if they make a dollar more.

There were stories from (I think it was) when the Bush tax cuts were set to expire of people going to their bosses and asking for a pay cut so they would fall under the brackets.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I used to work with a girl who turned down a raise because it "would have put her in the next tax bracket". She also loudly talked about the tea party and how awesome it was back around 2008 any chance she could get. As I was explaining how taxes ACTUALLY work, the boss walked by and she asked him "Why didn't you say anything when I told you why I was turning down the raise?" and he smirked and said "It's not my problem you don't know how things work. Too late now anyways, I already sent your letter to HR." That girl was a special kind of stupid. Also, a few weeks after I explained and she CLEARLY understood what I was telling her, I overheard her giving the same reasoning to someone else who hadn't been in on the initial conversation. Ego protecting stupidity is a powerful thing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

pangstrom posted:

Other threats to his castle: madness, dimes, penguins.

And this entire month

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

quote:

“The Confederate government never surrendered,” Kiscaden said. “So are we still in operation? Maybe we’ll find out. I happen to think that our history from 150 years ago is about to catch us.”

Wait, does that mean Neo-Confederates are actually active enemy combatants?
:getin:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Chadderbox posted:

I used to work with a girl who turned down a raise because it "would have put her in the next tax bracket". She also loudly talked about the tea party and how awesome it was back around 2008 any chance she could get. As I was explaining how taxes ACTUALLY work, the boss walked by and she asked him "Why didn't you say anything when I told you why I was turning down the raise?" and he smirked and said "It's not my problem you don't know how things work. Too late now anyways, I already sent your letter to HR." That girl was a special kind of stupid. Also, a few weeks after I explained and she CLEARLY understood what I was telling her, I overheard her giving the same reasoning to someone else who hadn't been in on the initial conversation. Ego protecting stupidity is a powerful thing.

She would probably turn down lottery winnings too. Cause of ALL THOSE TAXES!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wish I could ask those people why anyone would want to be rich in America if "getting more money" becomes a burden at the employee level. And where rich people find the money to...be rich...if that's the way things work.

Edit: Or why her Republican and tea party heroes aren't constantly calling out this "tax bracket" thing more often if it's real and that prohibitive.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 12, 2015

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Part of their ignorance is intentional, because being paid low wages is to be an object of derision in their circles. I...uh, actually get paid high wages! But the government takes most of it and leaves me with only a little! If only the government would step out the way, I'd be rich.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Chadderbox posted:

There are 300+ million of us. You're displaying some of your own bias/ignorance in lumping us all together. If Americans are all as stupid as you say then why do so many people from around the world want to come here to study at our universities? Certainly not because they expect to be trained on how to take their ignorance to a new level.

There are holocaust deniers with PhDs. Having an education does not mean you're not stupid. Look at the European Union: it has 200 million more people than the United States, yet those member countries largely have better infrastructure, much higher union membership, universal healthcare, education, and robust worker's and women's rights compared to the United States. That's a failure of the US government, and a failure of the US people. The fact that Americans largely don't even understand how they're even taxed or where it goes is just evidence of that.

Again, it's a mystery how the country even functions.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Chalets the Baka posted:

Having an education does not mean you're not stupid.

Ben Carson.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Books, TV, and 95% of the people around you either never discuss it or believe the misconception instead, so no, you're never going to learn that if your only interaction with your taxes is paying H&R Block every year to do them for you or filling in your tax form without analyzing the math behind your tax liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
You guys are really railing this guy over his 50% tax quote, but that number doesn't seem far off to me. Federal income tax comes out much lower (30-35% maybe?), but you start adding state income, sales tax, property tax, and all of the nickel and dime taxes (telecom, gas, hotels, etc) 50% sounds like a decent round number to toss out. It certainly doesn't sound all that outrageous to me, and not enough info to assume the guy is retarded and literally doesn't understand taxes.

• Locked thread