Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A relative posted this hoary old taxes chestnut: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/how-taxes-work-for-the-rich-vs-average-person-perfectly-explained
Normally I don't touch the poop but I haven't trolled him in a while and couldn't find the common D&D response to this one. Anyone happen to have it to hand in some form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wrote this in response to the Beer/Tax analogy, it's been a while but I'm pretty sure I used actual income and tax information to come up with the numbers.
I seem to remember there being some minor math errors so I'm going to do a double check.

100 people go to see a movie.

The first 50 pay 75 cents for their ticket, they spend the majority of the next two hours working at the concession stand or sweeping floors.
If they're caught watching the movie they're berated. After all, if they have time to watch a movie then they have time to earn enough money to pay more for their ticket.

The next 25 pay 5 dollars apiece for a ticket.
They each spend a portion of the movie working the projector, repairing the popcorn machine and working as security.
The movie is ruined for them though because they spend so much time dealing with people in the first group of 50.

The next 15 pay 12 dollars each for their ticket.
They spend a portion of their time at the theater maintaining the projector or keeping concessions running.
They get to see almost all of the movie unless something goes wrong.

The next 5 pay 23 dollars each for their ticket.
They are responsible for keeping the projector and concessions running, they don't actually do any of the work, they delegate all tasks to members of the previous 3 groups.
They get free sodas and nicer seats than the first three groups.

The next 4 pay 50 dollars each for their ticket.
Their job is to pick the movie. They get an entire meal and unlimited soda. Their seats are unbelievably comfortable.

The last person pays 343 for his ticket.
His job is to have the theater named after him.
His meal is decadent and he drinks the finest beverages. He sits in a golden throne. He has security guards who keep the bottom 95 from even getting near him.

At the end of the first day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 11 dollars. They each paid 75 cents. They take home $10.25
The next 25 each get 33 dollars. They each paid 5 dollars. They take home $28
The next 15 each get 60 dollars. They each paid 12 dollars. They take home $48
The next 5 get 88 each. They each paid 23 dollars. They take home $65
The next 4 get 144 each. They each paid 50 dollars. They take home $94
The last takes 672. He paid 343. He takes home $329
The people from the 25 and 15 group exclaim that it's not fair that the people in the first group get to take home almost all their pay because of the way ticket prices are set up. They develop the flat ticket price plan where everyone pays their fair share.

After doing a little math they find the magic number, 25%
At the end of the second day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 11 dollars. They each paid 3. They take home $8
The next 25 each get 33 dollars. They each paid 8 dollars. They take home $25
The next 15 each get 60 dollars. They each paid 15 dollars. They take home $45
The next 5 get 88 each. They each paid 22 dollars. They take home $66
The next 4 get 144 each. They each paid 36 dollars. They take home $108
The last takes 672. He paid 168. He takes home $504
The people from the 25 and 15 group are pretty confused but are certain it's the bottom 50 that are screwing them over. They decide to split the ticket costs straight across the board. The total costs for the evening are $1000, split 100 ways is $10 each.

At the end of the third day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 11 dollars. They each paid 10. They take home $1
The next 25 each get 33 dollars. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $23
The next 15 each get 60 dollars. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $50
The next 5 get 88 each. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $78
The next 4 get 144 each. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $134
The last takes 672. He paid 10. He takes home $662
The people from the bottom 50 group decide they've had enough.
At the end of the fourth day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 44 dollars. They each paid 11. They take home $33
The next 25 each get 44 dollars. They each paid 11 dollars. They take home $33
The next 15 each get 44 dollars. They each paid 11 dollars. They take home $33
The last 10 get hung by their necks from the projector booth.
The moral of the story: Maybe progressive taxation isn't a terrible idea.

EDIT:

The math for day 4 was a bit off. They earn $44, take home pay of $33 after deducting $11 each.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 11, 2015

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Gwaihir posted:

A relative posted this hoary old taxes chestnut: http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/how-taxes-work-for-the-rich-vs-average-person-perfectly-explained
Normally I don't touch the poop but I haven't trolled him in a while and couldn't find the common D&D response to this one. Anyone happen to have it to hand in some form?

Someone else can step in and write a more comprehensive answer, but unless the one guy ate 80% of the food the analogy isn't in any way honest. :v:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

Well, from the very word go, the poor don't pay "nothing", they still pay sales tax and income tax etc.

There's also the basic fact that the poor are usually manual laborers with actual work skills whereas the rich are good at management, moving money, or nothing; skills that make the rich FAR more dependant on the stable society they are unwilling to pay to perpetuate. It'd be like that meal was the ONLY place the rich guy got his food from. But that's a hard concept for the entitled to understand.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

If they also divide the food like wealth, the richest guy gets 120 steaks and 40lbs of fries even though he can't possible eat all that but refuses to share and the poorest get to lick the gravy off the rich guys plate.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

For starters it only works if the cost of the meal goes down, and in our current situation the restaurant has reduced the price of the meal so much that he's going out of business at a faster and faster rate.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Yessss, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
By the way if you're looking for other rebuttals, that was originally about beer, and called Bar Stool Economics

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gwaihir posted:

Yessss, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

I just updated the math on day 4. I was off by a little bit.

I'm going to see if I can find the spreadsheets I originally used, we can update them for the current year if we want.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Someone else can step in and write a more comprehensive answer, but unless the one guy ate 80% of the food the analogy isn't in any way honest. :v:

Hell, even if you ignore that, when the rich guy drops out for feeling unappreciated, the dinner party loses the $52 he would have paid in, but not the $40 plate of Oysters Rockefeller he would have eaten, or the $20 of VSOP brandy he'd have washed them down with. How badly was the richest guy overpaying in this scenario?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
It's an honor! A MANDATORY honor!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Dude works in real estate. Hates government involvement in business.

:ironicat:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
BASED ON 2012 TAX DATA
http://taxfoundation.org/article/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-0

Income Tax paid = 1,184,978 Million. Normalized to $1000
Total AGI = 9,041,744 Million. Normalized to $7630
If there are better numbers, I'll use them.
I round a bit here and there so some numbers might seem a bit off. If you notice anything that seems REALLY wrong, let me know

100 people go to see a movie.

The first 50 pay 56 cents for their ticket, they spend the majority of the next two hours working at the concession stand or sweeping floors.
If they're caught watching the movie they're berated. After all, if they have time to watch a movie then they have time to earn enough money to pay more for their ticket.

The next 25 pay $4.32 apiece for a ticket.
They each spend a portion of the movie working the projector, repairing the popcorn machine and working as security.
The movie is ruined for them though because they spend so much time dealing with people in the first group of 50.

The next 15 pay $10.87 each for their ticket.
They spend a portion of their time at the theater maintaining the projector or keeping concessions running.
They get to see almost all of the movie unless something goes wrong.

The next 5 pay $22.40 dollars each for their ticket.
They are responsible for keeping the projector and concessions running, they don't actually do any of the work, they delegate all tasks to members of the previous 3 groups.
They get free sodas and nicer seats than the first three groups.

The next 4 pay $52.25 dollars each for their ticket.
Their job is to pick the movie. They get an entire meal and unlimited soda. Their seats are unbelievably comfortable.

The last person pays $381 for his ticket.
His job is to have the theater named after him.
His meal is decadent and he drinks the finest beverages. He sits in a golden throne. He has security guards who keep the bottom 95 from even getting near him.

At the end of the first day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 17 dollars. They each paid 56 cents. They take home $16
The next 25 each get 60 dollars. They each paid 4 dollars . They take home $56
The next 15 each get 109 dollars. They each paid 11 dollars. They take home $98
The next 5 get 168 each. They each paid 22 dollars. They take home $146
The next 4 get 286 each. They each paid 52 dollars. They take home $234
The last takes 1671. He paid 381. He takes home $1290
The people from the 25 and 15 group exclaim that it's not fair that the people in the first group get to take home almost all their pay because of the way ticket prices are set up. They develop the flat ticket price plan where everyone pays their fair share.

After doing a little math they find the magic number, 13%
At the end of the second day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 17 dollars. They each paid $2.20. They take home $15
The next 25 each get 60 dollars. They each paid $7.78 They take home $52
The next 15 each get 109 dollars. They each paid $14.15. They take home $94
The next 5 get 168 each. They each paid $21.82. They take home $146
The next 4 get 286 each. They each paid $37.20. They take home $248
The last takes 1671. He paid $217.23. He takes home $1453
The people from the 25 and 15 group are pretty confused but are certain it's the bottom 50 that are screwing them over. They decide to split the ticket costs straight across the board. The total costs for the evening are $1000, split 100 ways is $10 each.

At the end of the third day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 17 dollars. They each paid 10. They take home $7
The next 25 each get 60 dollars. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $50
The next 15 each get 109 dollars. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $99
The next 5 get 168 each. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $158
The next 4 get 286 each. They each paid 10 dollars. They take home $276
The last takes 1671. He paid 10. He takes home $1661
The people from the bottom 50 group decide they've had enough.
At the end of the fourth day the money made from concessions is split up.
pre:
The first 50 each get 84 dollars. They each paid 11. They take home $73
The next 25 each get 84 dollars. They each paid 11 dollars. They take home $73
The next 15 each get 84 dollars. They each paid 11 dollars. They take home $73
The last 10 get hung by their necks from the projector booth.
The moral of the story: Maybe progressive taxation isn't a terrible idea.

Queenygirlee
Dec 29, 2014
http://youtu.be/2zMzeKBEvaQ

The white genocide.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Look at them pure white womerns.

Queenygirlee
Dec 29, 2014

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Look at them pure white womerns.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Well, that was a cathartic six and a half minutes of shouting at my monitor.

I am surprised they didn't just say the Fourteen Words.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I am so glad that I have never run into any of those "anti-racist means anti-white" morons in real life.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How is this not a satire.

Also lol at the blonde woman being exposure corrected for her boobs and not her face. Technological incompetence or intentional ogling? Both?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Also lol at the blonde woman being exposure corrected for her boobs and not her face. Technological incompetence or intentional ogling? Both?

think about this: they got the most attractive women they could find, to make this video

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's messed up lighting causing it to be too much brighter than her face, and they were too lazy to set exposure manually.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah that video has a point, why isn't everybody going after the Aztecs for the terrible things they did?

I also must have missed the push for mandatory interracial marriage in the US, but they said it exists so I guess it must.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ashcans posted:

^^^ Edot: You can look at this NPR link, and better yet, a copy of the actual audit summary for this issue.

Yes, to be clear, this does not mean that there are 6.5 million people out there abusing old SSNs and whatever. It means that the SSA hasn't correctly marked those numbers to being deceased people, meaning that they are at least potentially vulnerable to abuse. For almost 2million of those numbers, the SSA had actually recorded the death information, it just wasn't attached to the appropriate part of the record (ie, it would be indicated in the payment termination record instead).

NPR is the poo poo

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Do these schools exist? I have an uncle who posted something similar about how saying the pledge of allegiance at the start of school is good and people fight against it because they're "offended" by it. Then it asked all true patriots to share it.

I'm sure schools have stopped saying the pledge of allegiance, and perhaps some don't fly American flags, but are they that common?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pledge of Allegiance is something I didn't have to do since it feels like the 4th or 5th grade. That was back in the late 80's. This is across two school systems in the same county. Sure, just about every class still had a flag though.

A lot of people in my age group grew up in the same environment and most of them probably have children older than mine. Based on who's throwing poo poo around, it seems pretty obvious that MOST of the people complaining about this poo poo don't even have any children that haven't been adults for at least 10 years.

There are exceptions though, like that crazy lady on my Facebook. I just am willing to wager that my experience isn't all that different and school kids haven't been doing the PoA for a very long time after a certain point. So, why is it important now?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 12, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Verisimilidude posted:

Do these schools exist? I have an uncle who posted something similar about how saying the pledge of allegiance at the start of school is good and people fight against it because they're "offended" by it. Then it asked all true patriots to share it.

I'm sure schools have stopped saying the pledge of allegiance, and perhaps some don't fly American flags, but are they that common?

Pretty sure it's in reference to UC Irvine banning ALL national flags from one common room in the student government offices. They did so to try to not be nationalistic in the face of a multi-national student body but apparently they HATE AMERICA.

Although they did specifically state that American flag's can be interpreted as an aggressively imperialistic symbol. Which, while true, probably didn't do them any favors in terms of appealing to other side.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Not quite an e-mail, but one of my co-workers was saying that the protestors in Ferguson last night were technically accomplices to the shooting of the police officers, and therefor should be charged with accessory to attempted murder. Also, once their actions break the law, their right to assemble is revoked.

He was wrong in so many ways that I couldn't fathom it, and I had to end it with 'I disagree' before I force-fed him his hat.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

J.A.B.C. posted:

Not quite an e-mail, but one of my co-workers was saying that the protestors in Ferguson last night were technically accomplices to the shooting of the police officers, and therefor should be charged with accessory to attempted murder. Also, once their actions break the law, their right to assemble is revoked.

He was wrong in so many ways that I couldn't fathom it, and I had to end it with 'I disagree' before I force-fed him his hat.
How does that even make sense :psyduck:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Haven't seen a lot of stupid emails about gay marriage posted here lately. Have they given up that fight?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah that video has a point, why isn't everybody going after the Aztecs for the terrible things they did?

Turkey, a land no one ever criticizes for its historical genocide :laffo:

Also "Africa for Africans, Asia for Asians, America uh White Countries for everyone"

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If we should all stay in our countries of ethnic origin I guess dem white wimminz are totally ok with packing up and shipping out to Europe so the natives can have their land back?

I feel like someone could construct a really simple turnabout on their lovely argument that way.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

VitalSigns posted:

Turkey, a land no one ever criticizes for its historical genocide :laffo:

Also "Africa for Africans, Asia for Asians, America uh White Countries for everyone"

*Except South Africa, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, India, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Jordan, Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, the U.A.E., Yemen, Bahrain, Azerbaijan, India, Bangladesh, Georgia, and Afghanistan because those aren't filled with stereotypical African (black) people and Asian (East Asiatic) people.

P.S. Kill all brown people

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Pledge of Allegiance is something I didn't have to do since it feels like the 4th or 5th grade. That was back in the late 80's. This is across two school systems in the same county. Sure, just about every class still had a flag though.

A lot of people in my age group grew up in the same environment and most of them probably have children older than mine. Based on who's throwing poo poo around, it seems pretty obvious that MOST of the people complaining about this poo poo don't even have any children that haven't been adults for at least 10 years.

There are exceptions though, like that crazy lady on my Facebook. I just am willing to wager that my experience isn't all that different and school kids haven't been doing the PoA for a very long time after a certain point. So, why is it important now?

We still had to do the Pledge of Allegiance until I graduated from high school, and that was in 2009. It differs from school to school.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vriess posted:

*Except South Africa, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, India, Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Jordan, Palestine, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Oman, the U.A.E., Yemen, Bahrain, Azerbaijan, India, Bangladesh, Georgia, and Afghanistan because those aren't filled with stereotypical African (black) people and Asian (East Asiatic) people.

P.S. Kill all brown people

Also all blacks in White Countries like America should go back to Africa, Mexicans back to Mexico, and Cherokee back over the land bridge to Siberia I guess.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BonoMan posted:

Although they did specifically state that American flag's can be interpreted as an aggressively imperialistic symbol. Which, while true, probably didn't do them any favors in terms of appealing to other side.

Yeah, if it's not appropriate to display an American flag at a public university in the United States of America, I'm pretty sure there aren't many places it's appropriate to display it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Also all blacks in White Countries like America should go back to Africa, Mexicans back to Mexico, and Cherokee back over the land bridge to Siberia I guess.

Cro-Magnon descendants out of Europe, Neanderthal countries for Neanderthals!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

G-g-global Reset!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Brawnfire posted:

G-g-global Reset!

If that happened and I was magically transported to Nigeria, I'd be pissed because I like my Xbone and Internet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

BonoMan posted:

Pretty sure it's in reference to UC Irvine banning ALL national flags from one common room in the student government offices. They did so to try to not be nationalistic in the face of a multi-national student body but apparently they HATE AMERICA.

At first I didn't get that argument about how flags can do that stuff, but after tons of UCI students, alums and people who aren't even affiliated with the university have called for the 6 students who voted Aye to be publicly humiliated, incarcerated, deported and even lynched, I'm starting to come around to it.