Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is incredible. I've never seen so many people fight for Nazi flags and the Constitution at the same time, on top of attacking literally both sides of the political aisle and lambasting Obama for no reason. This has everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phone posted:

^^ but keep making my beloved apple products, you lazy millennial whores

8) The well is extremely poisoned since right wing talking points are the norm. This is a breeding ground for stuff like libertarian shitlords to allow wage fixing since they're the Randian Ubermensch from the movies because they pursued an engineering degree. Because THE FREE MARKET cannot be questioned, the idea of IT people unionizing to fight for better wages and compensation in response to tech companies like Facebook, Google, and Apple all talking to each other to keep wages down is a loving impossibility.

It sounds like you're just hanging around IT people. Walmart workers (for example) have had multiple strikes and have forced that company to raise wages by a pretty substantial (if still not adequate) amount.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Takoluka posted:

This is incredible. I've never seen so many people fight for Nazi flags and the Constitution at the same time, on top of attacking literally both sides of the political aisle and lambasting Obama for no reason. This has everything!

A fun game is to find an article on drudge that has absolutely nothing to do with politics and see how long it takes for someone in the comments to blame Obama

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

computer parts posted:

It sounds like you're just hanging around IT people. Walmart workers (for example) have had multiple strikes and have forced that company to raise wages by a pretty substantial (if still not adequate) amount.

Those unskilled workers don't deserve anything resembling a living wage! If they wanted to make enough money to not need food stamps while working, they should go to Liberty University and get STEM degrees!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Now which hip-hop song has lyrics about how lynchings are great? I need to know where these poor mushy-minded frat boys heard the words they repeated without understanding what they mean.

Rush making that statement is a pretty good illustration of his methods. Since the chant is pretty simple and obviously some old SAE poo poo and has nothing to do with any rap. Rush either:

1. Is bloviating on the matter without having read or listened to anything about it other than the headlines and is making his point without even having learned what the words to the chant were, or

2. Knows very well that the statement is completely and obviously false, but is relying on the credulity of his listeners and the fact that they would never fact check him or even believe anything fact checking him.

The fact that it sounds like his assistant interrupted him and he immediately semi-backtracked on it suggests number 1, but I'm sure he does both one and two on a regular basis as a staple of his show.

The now famous incident about the Lord's Resistance Army is a pretty good example of number 1.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

computer parts posted:

Engineers/IT folk are the young libertarian crowd who are FYGM as hell. The wage fixing thing in Silicon Valley is/was real.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phone posted:

Engineers/IT folk are the young libertarian crowd who are FYGM as hell. The wage fixing thing in Silicon Valley is/was real.

They're also the archetype of "white middle class male with a chip on their shoulder". Of course they're libertarians.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koalas March posted:

3/5ths Mafia.

Straight Outta Cotton.

If You're Reading This You're Getting Whipped.

Get North Or Die Tryin.

What I'm saying is check out #RapAlbumsThatCreatedSlavery on Twitter.

Ahaha this was amazing, thanks! After I finally found it anyway, it's #RapAlbumsThatCausedSlavery

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Takoluka posted:

Must protect Nazimericael for Free Speech...

The only thing that would make the story complete would be the home owner shooting the vandal.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 12, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

Well, possessing male genitals while in the women's locker room seems to be the sticking point here.

I don't know what the situation was with the Planet Fitness story though. How far along was the Trans in question? Did the woman even see anything or was her perception just a very masculine looking person in the women's locker room?

it doesn't matter at all. there is no legal basis for gendered rooms, it is entirely a social convention. that means any private place of business can have any sort of policy they like regarding who is and is not allowed to use any room in the facility. the only potential illegality is stuff like peeping, or indecent exposure, which depends on intent and not mere presence

the planet fitness thing is because one patron (a biological woman) got offended because they encountered a transwoman in the women's changing room, which i understand has seperate changing rooms anyway with no space for any common nudity. so there's no problem there. the upset patron took it up with management, and was told "our policy is to treat someone as they present their gender identity."

where this gets dumb is the upset patron then went back to the gym not to work out, but to raise a fuss with other patrons in the women's locker room about how unsafe it is to permit "men". no place of business is going to appreciate you hanging around talking poo poo about other customers and trying to cause problems. so they canceled the lady's membership and told her to get lost. so this lady's ejection from the gym is entirely because she stuck her nose in other customer's business

where this gets dumber is that now it's some weird transshaming issue as people get real upset that trans people are not being discriminated against, feeling that it's "unsafe", despite the fact that the only person actually hamed by this was the transwoman, who is now being widely named, shamed, and mocked in bigot media for going to a gym

it seems two assumptions are necessary for the people who think this is some kind of PC insanity

-you have to assume that, naturally, biological men are sexual predators
-you also have to assume that women cannot peep, commmit indecent exposure, or otherwise sexually harrass other female patrons

because nearly every objection to the transwoman's presence is couched in some kind of argument that "they're a pervert" or "what's stopping me from dressing up like a lady if it lets me perv on people" which ignores that perving on people is illegal, regardless of your sex or gender identity

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 12, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Zwabu posted:

The now famous incident about the Lord's Resistance Army is a pretty good example of number 1.

I was surprised to learn about this. in 2012 I would have been listening to Limbaugh almost daily and somehow missed this. For those who wonder what this was about : http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/Vox-News/2012/0309/Why-did-Rush-Limbaugh-defend-Joseph-Kony-and-Lord-s-Resistance-Army-video

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it doesn't matter at all. there is no legal basis for gendered rooms, it is entirely a social convention. that means any private place of business can have any sort of policy they like regarding who is and is not allowed to use any room in the facility. the only potential illegality is stuff like peeping, or indecent exposure, which depends on intent and not mere presence

the planet fitness thing is because one patron (a biological woman) got offended because they encountered a transwoman in the women's changing room, which i understand has seperate changing rooms anyway with no space for any common nudity. so there's no problem there. the upset patron took it up with management, and was told "our policy is to treat someone as they present their gender identity."

where this gets dumb is the upset patron then went back to the gym not to work out, but to raise a fuss with other patrons in the women's locker room about how unsafe it is to permit "men". no place of business is going to appreciate you hanging around talking poo poo about other customers and trying to cause problems. so they canceled the lady's membership and told her to get lost. so this lady's ejection from the gym is entirely because she stuck her nose in other customer's business

where this gets dumber is that now it's some weird transshaming issue as people get real upset that trans people are not being discriminated against, feeling that it's "unsafe", despite the fact that the only person actually hamed by this was the transwoman, who is now being widely named, shamed, and mocked in bigot media for going to a gym

Relevant to that particular PF only?

My PF's locker has a big wide open space where old fat guys walk around buck rear end naked.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The HORROR!

Yet how many Christian universities are there?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Relevant to that particular PF only?

My PF's locker has a big wide open space where old fat guys walk around buck rear end naked.

i have no idea, i've never been to a planet fitness. it's something i read somewhere

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i have no idea, i've never been to a planet fitness. it's something i read somewhere

It is possible different gyms have different changing rooms. Mine has a big open space to change but many people use the bathroom and shower stalls to change as well.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It is possible different gyms have different changing rooms. Mine has a big open space to change but many people use the bathroom and shower stalls to change as well.

yeah, each one is independently owned so i guess they're all different?

regardless the probable individual who was the source of the complaint said that they didn't change in the room anyway but just used it to store coat/purse. which is another point, given how insane people can be i don't think many transpersons would want to disrobe in a common room anyway, just to be safe from bigots

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Those unskilled workers don't deserve anything resembling a living wage! If they wanted to make enough money to not need food stamps while working, they should go to Liberty University and get STEM degrees!

I've never understood why they want MORE competition since in the glorious free market that would result in their worth plummeting as there are much more skilled applicants competing for the same jobs. Logically, from a self preservation point of view, you'd want Walmart employees to stay where they are by improving their living conditions so they don't look to getting in on your turf, but libertarianism is never about actual logic and all about short term greed and narcissism.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 12, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

No. I've mentioned this before, but I think the right-wing media endgame is to be the consistently losing aggrieved side of the political spectrum, to keep their dwindling audience down to true believers, and then to milk that audience for every dollar they can get out of them.

There's no point to growing with millennials, as studies show our tolerance for bullshitters is little to none. We aren't gullible to all of the old-timey scams of previous generations, from lines of argument to certain manipulative practices. On the other hand, when someone can convince a large percentage of the population that their ruse is not only the unquestioned Right Thing To Do but also that anyone trying to convince them otherwise is the real scammer...they've got their marks right where they want them.

The right wing media shits on anything that isn't fully supporting them or giving them money. Anything and everyone. And, that strategy continues to work during primary season, where everyone's a RINO and no one is a winner.

It's also incredible that even "College Republicans" have tried very, very hard to get them away from policies that have been loving them over in national elections only to be met with silence and "sucks to be you".

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/college-republicans-to-young-voters-forget-social-issues-it-s-the-economy-20130821

I wonder how many times they have pushed to the left just by "Millenials" being exposed to their bullshit? I USED to be a Right Wing Republican that is...until I saw how batshit insane they were.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The HORROR!

Yeah, but they're for the correct religion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The HORROR!

Christian colleges over time have actually been largely abandoning any religious pretense and have become increasingly secular. Some of the oldest, largest schools in America were actually originally places to train priests and little else. Over the centuries other topics got added until eventually theology just kind of left. There are still a crap load of them of course but the only thing the right cares about is "there are greater than zero Muslim schools." Like nobody is stopping them from setting up more Christian schools if they really do care that much.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

A little late to the party, but I hope Crowder gets a taste of what life is like for trans women who don't pass.

I'm trans, and I vividly remember one of the very first times I went out in public, having a car full of what looked like frat boys stop so they could scream "human being!" at the tops of their lungs.

Then again, he might think that's the correct response.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Does your Dad think that Obama is going to abolish 22nd amendment to have a 3rd term like my extended family does?

An acquaintance was going on about this at the lunch table the other day so I told him I'd bet him 100 to 1 odds it doesn't happen on any dollar amount he chooses. He laughed but then he shut up about it. I find that "put your money where your mouth is" works great on people like this because it undercuts the whole big, straight-talking tough guy image they invariably cultivate obsessively.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

This made my computer flip out and open a "your computer is infected!" dialog box that crashed my browser. Does Breitbart have this garbage on their site all the time?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This made my computer flip out and open a "your computer is infected!" dialog box that crashed my browser. Does Breitbart have this garbage on their site all the time?

probably just a bad ad from some shady third party ad provider

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Christian colleges over time have actually been largely abandoning any religious pretense and have become increasingly secular. Some of the oldest, largest schools in America were actually originally places to train priests and little else. Over the centuries other topics got added until eventually theology just kind of left. There are still a crap load of them of course but the only thing the right cares about is "there are greater than zero Muslim schools." Like nobody is stopping them from setting up more Christian schools if they really do care that much.

I know a few people who went to Brandeis University, which I think was the first accredited Jewish college post-WW2. The biggest difference for all 3 of them was that they got the Jewish holy days off like Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah. Plus. I think they had a straight-up kosher cafeteria. I can't imagine it'd be much different for a Muslim university. Facilities to accommodate orthodox Muslims, while also respecting anyone who doesn't practice.

Just like most Christian universities, except for the respecting anyone who doesn't practice. I think I'd rather be a non-Muslim at a predominantly Muslim university than a non-Christian at most of these Christian universities.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A little late to the party, but I hope Crowder gets a taste of what life is like for trans women who don't pass.

I'm trans, and I vividly remember one of the very first times I went out in public, having a car full of what looked like frat boys stop so they could scream "human being!" at the tops of their lungs.

Then again, he might think that's the correct response.

You assume his stupid prank involves him being in "disguise" for more than a few minutes in more than one specific location. He's not driving to the place in his "disguise" at all. I wouldn't put it past him to go to the mens locker room, get dressed, then immediately stroll into the womens locker room. He's the epitome of a person who never got out of middle school.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does Crowder even get any money for being a Twitter/FB attention whore, or is he just trying to raise his profile to land a paying wingnut welfare gig on Fox or on the radio?

I think you guys mentioned he has some kind of small time show biz career (the voice of Pinky or the Brain?), but as he goes out of his way to be as aggressively assholish as possible with his name plastered all over his antics, I can't imagine anyone in that business would want to hire him for anything unless it was for some wingnut financed project like Going Galt Part VI: The Galtening , some Kirk Cameron special or something.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zwabu posted:

Does Crowder even get any money for being a Twitter/FB attention whore, or is he just trying to raise his profile to land a paying wingnut welfare gig on Fox or on the radio?

He'd have to go for the latter, he was already fired from the former.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If he made a reality TV show that consisted of him getting punched in the face by various union members I'd watch the poo poo out of that even if it gave him money.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Would it be horrible if bathrooms were just Unisex? Like rather than having men's rooms and women's rooms, they were just bathrooms. Look I'm straight white male so I am definitely missing out on other perspectives here, but wouldn't that kind of nip this problem in the bud?

edit-The transgender people and bathrooms problem, also it would solve the changing stations in women's rooms but not men's rooms problem.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Madmarker posted:

Would it be horrible if bathrooms were just Unisex? Like rather than having men's rooms and women's rooms, they were just bathrooms. Look I'm straight white male so I am definitely missing out on other perspectives here, but wouldn't that kind of nip this problem in the bud?

It would encourage perverts like Steven Crowder to go look at women on the toilet.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My student union building has three bathrooms, male, female, and gender neutral. Works fine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

edit-The transgender people and bathrooms problem, also it would solve the changing stations in women's rooms but not men's rooms problem.

From what I've heard some new places are just making single-occupant unisex bathrooms rather than big, communal ones separated by gender. It solves the problem pretty well, really.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's also incredible that even "College Republicans" have tried very, very hard to get them away from policies that have been loving them over in national elections only to be met with silence and "sucks to be you".

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/college-republicans-to-young-voters-forget-social-issues-it-s-the-economy-20130821

I wonder how many times they have pushed to the left just by "Millenials" being exposed to their bullshit? I USED to be a Right Wing Republican that is...until I saw how batshit insane they were.

I'm in the same boat as you, although sympathetic Republican leaders actually kind of encouraged me to go be liberal. So that was nice.

The thing is, with a lot of this stuff, everything is catered towards the one ideal Republican stereotype, and anything to divert from that is rejected. For example, I may think that Republican economic policies are good but I don't carry a gun - I'm a liberal heretic. All of the College Republicans fit that sort of thing, where they check some boxes but not all (because some of those boxes are being really old, among other things). The College Republicans will get rejected because they aren't a rich business owner with five guns and racist outlooks on the world, and will then get rejected by their peers for cultural things. (Like how the Wayne State Republican in that article thinks he can grow his group by taking people to a gun range. I doubt there's that many people at Wayne State that either want to go shooting, want to go shooting with him, or want to be invited to go.)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Today should be a fun day on Fox News. Can't wait to hear more about how Obama/Holder should be held accountable for the officer's shooting because of the DOJ report. And the people who did the poo poo in the DOJ report aren't at fault at all. Police brutality wouldn't be a problem If we just ignored it, after all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
People who shoot cops should be caught and prosecuted according to the law.

Cops who shoot people in shady circumstances should also be caught and prosecuted according to the law.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tender Bender posted:

Today should be a fun day on Fox News. Can't wait to hear more about how Obama/Holder should be held accountable for the officer's shooting because of the DOJ report. And the people who did the poo poo in the DOJ report aren't at fault at all. Police brutality wouldn't be a problem If we just ignored it, after all.

Good news. You don't have to wait
http://mediamatters.org/video/2015/03/12/fox-hosts-blame-president-obama-justice-dept-fo/202873

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's with that one lady actually attempting to insert logic like "Barak Obama isn't to blame for these attempted murders" that leads to everyone else losing their poo poo? Did she get imported in from another network or something?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

From what I've heard some new places are just making single-occupant unisex bathrooms rather than big, communal ones separated by gender. It solves the problem pretty well, really.

This is a good solution if the bathroom doesn't see much traffic but places that put single-occupant bathrooms in busy places so there's a big line outside can gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Wish the lady would have asked if pointing out what the police force was doing is actually fomenting.

The problem the fox hosts have is not the doing of racist things, but that the DOJ is telling people the racist things that the police did.

This is a pretty common theme in right wing media. It is the messengers fault for racial tensions and not the fault of the perpetrators of racist actions.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 12, 2015