Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Apparently Hakuho has been getting in hot water over some comments he made during the off season:

quote:

The off-season in between these two basho has been dominated by a single, surprising topic: Hakuho's scathing remarks aimed at the competency level of the judges regarding his day 13 bout against Kisenosato. Hakuho expressed his concern during his yusho press conference where he stated the following:

"There was one bout that was suspicious. On day 13. Even a child could have figured out that sumo. I really felt hurt after that bout. I expect them to do their job with more urgency than that. They're all former sumo guys, right? They had video to help with the decision. Furthermore, they of all people understand the weight of a rematch. The color of one's skin should have nothing to do with it. If we step on the dohyo and tie our hair into the same top-knot, we both represent the spirit of Japan. It doesn't matter if we have any status or not. We're all the same human beings."
I enjoy imagining that Hakuhou has been keeping all this piss and vinegar about the mistreatment of foreign fighters inside ever since the beginning of his sumo career, and now that he's officially the GOAT, he's just gonna let it out and steamroll his competition that much harder for the next 3+ years. The guy is super fit and has never suffered any major injuries as far as I can tell. I'd be really surprised if, barring any out of left field injuries or a public shaming out of the sport à la Asashoryu, he doesn't make it to 40+ tournament wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Call out the Japanese on being racist?

That's a paddlin'

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Still watching day 5 but I wanted to stop and say that:

Ikioi's maneuvering at the edge like that was top class!

Ok, back to it.

Another stop to comment:

Endou and Shohouzan's slapfest was great but it looked like his knee didn't go the right way there. Ouch. I'm sad to see Shohouzan doing poorly.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 12, 2015

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And Hakuho celebrates his 900th win by going crowdsurfing. :lol:

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

anakha posted:

And Hakuho celebrates his 900th win by going crowdsurfing. :lol:

He totally punched a lady in the face too!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Goeido-Tamawashi was a really strange bout, going to be hard to get those 13 wins now (although Kakuryu out of the tournament obviously helps)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Kikkoman posted:

He totally punched a lady in the face too!

That is definitely not a proper Japanese way to get revenge against racists! What a monster.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
He's probably good so long as he doesn't try doing it Futahaguro-style.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Harumafuji is seriously making me his fan. He isn't the top yokozuna but his wins are flashier.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

Harumafuji is seriously making me his fan. He isn't the top yokozuna but his wins are flashier.

He knows he has to win quick, because he's very beatable in a shoving match. I wonder if he goes into every match with a plan that he executes no matter what, or if he's really that good of an improviser. That last one I thought was a semi-henka, but no, that was a head-on collision that he instantly turned into an okuridashi. Well, okuridashi that was called an oshidashi because Takayasu tried to turn around after it was already over.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

He knows he has to win quick, because he's very beatable in a shoving match. I wonder if he goes into every match with a plan that he executes no matter what, or if he's really that good of an improviser. That last one I thought was a semi-henka, but no, that was a head-on collision that he instantly turned into an okuridashi. Well, okuridashi that was called an oshidashi because Takayasu tried to turn around after it was already over.

He just seems to have really mastered reaching around, and once he has the back of the belt it's over.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

He knows he has to win quick, because he's very beatable in a shoving match.

He's pretty drat tiny relative to his rank, so he really has to be more tactical in his bouts than most other guys, which I definitely appreciate.

He's what Takanoyama dreamt of achieving. :v:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

anakha posted:

He's pretty drat tiny relative to his rank, so he really has to be more tactical in his bouts than most other guys, which I definitely appreciate.

He's what Takanoyama dreamt of achieving. :v:

I've loved seeing him vs Ichinojo who just looks like he's been scaled up in photoshop

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Harumafuji is so quick off the line as well. The other guy will get up 10cm and he'll already be across the dohryo in his chest. It's insane how fast he flashes across the speed.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kikkoman posted:

Apparently Hakuho has been getting in hot water over some comments he made during the off season:

I enjoy imagining that Hakuhou has been keeping all this piss and vinegar about the mistreatment of foreign fighters inside ever since the beginning of his sumo career, and now that he's officially the GOAT, he's just gonna let it out and steamroll his competition that much harder for the next 3+ years. The guy is super fit and has never suffered any major injuries as far as I can tell. I'd be really surprised if, barring any out of left field injuries or a public shaming out of the sport à la Asashoryu, he doesn't make it to 40+ tournament wins.

Interesting article. I initially thought that while Hakuho was right, he pretty clearly won that match with Kisenosato the first time around, it wasn't super smart of him to make that comment on the tail end of beating the record. After reading this and thinking about it though, I totally support him now. gently caress the media and I hope his record becomes unbreakable, making the best yokozuna of all time a foreigner.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Dr.Radical posted:

Interesting article. I initially thought that while Hakuho was right, he pretty clearly won that match with Kisenosato the first time around, it wasn't super smart of him to make that comment on the tail end of beating the record. After reading this and thinking about it though, I totally support him now. gently caress the media and I hope his record becomes unbreakable, making the best yokozuna of all time a foreigner.

I hope he goes on some sort of anger blitz and shatters the most consecutive wins record now.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The funny thing is compared to asashoryu the guy is so straight and narrow and serious. Its funny how short of a memory the media has I suppose.

I kind of fault the stablemaster on that comment though. He should have bit the bullet and just called Hakuho in sick for the interview instead of carting a guy into a TV interview that was still buzzed as poo poo. Everything could have been avoided.

I can see how Hakuho is pissed, the media shat all over him for missing interviews after his wife miscarried and they just continue to do it despite that. Most people are excited about him breaking the record too, at least the ones I talk to, so I don't know whats up the new bum's butts.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 6 is a little late, but it's up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVSj-m98Ho

goeido.jpg

And some seriously exciting bouts for pretty much all the Mongolians. Plus a great tactical match between Myogiryu and Takarafuji.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 13, 2015

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hell of a recovery by Toyonoshima.

Hakuho looked strangely hesitant to engage in his bout. That was one of the weaker tachi-ai I've seen from him in a while.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I don't think anyone will be upset by jonidan spoilers but bing's twitter translations crack me up sometimes:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Quantrill posted:

I don't think anyone will be upset by jonidan spoilers but bing's twitter translations crack me up sometimes:

From here on out every win by oshidashi is going to be referred to as "extrusion".

Lol babby sumo mage always cracks me up. I had almost forgotten how ridiculous Endo used to look with that hairstyle in makuuchi.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSupTf7JcyQ
No real stand out bouts today, pretty dull to be honest, but with the banzuke so skewed it's hardly surprising

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The most interesting part of today was probably the gyoji in red that was constantly telling the rikishi to get the gently caress started already.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

The most interesting part of today was probably the gyoji in red that was constantly telling the rikishi to get the gently caress started already.

Tochinoshin vs Terunofuji was a pretty epic battle of probably the two strongest belt-pushers out there. Neither one are particularly technical, so it was fun seeing who would finally push hard enough.

The Gagamaru bodyslam was pretty awesome, too. I literally recoiled in my seat when that happened.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWeLmelD6Fg

Once again Hakuho is unopposed at the top

also way to go Tochinoshin!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

also way to go Tochinoshin!

he beat up Haruma pretty good

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 9 was amazing.

That Harumafuji match was incredible.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Shohozan-Sokokurai was pretty great until the accidental step out, Terunofuji continues to be impressive and I feel really sorry for Kaisei tomorrow when he faces Harumafuji after that loss

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Day 9 for the lazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbrPR8iS2I

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Hakuho is pretty much trolling now. Flipped over Aoiyama like it was a demonstrative match.

I've said it and I'll say it again - wrestling Toyonoshima must feel like wrestling a wet noodle. Charge at him and his center of gravity will just disappear and leave you grasping for air.

Ichinojo who? Terunofuji is the real-deal Mongolian goliath here. Ichi doesn't even look like he cares right now.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
On my way to the BODYMAKER COLISEUM now. Hope I get to see some good matches.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 10 is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqZv5VrACI

Best match of the day was Harumafuji vs Kaisei. And lol at Harumafuji having a face full of Kaisei's shoulder hair for most of that bout.

Kotoshogiku looked like a pug trying to hump Terunofuji's leg. I'm surprised Kintamayama was even allowed to show that one.

e: Homasho!! I thumped my chest a few times in his honor when he showed up.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: http://youtu.be/OEXNVUgvVG0

Kisenosato-Toyonoshima easily MOTN.

Hakuho has been strangely slap-happy this basho so far.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

anakha posted:

Day 11: http://youtu.be/OEXNVUgvVG0

Kisenosato-Toyonoshima easily MOTN.

Didn't realize Hakuho was on a big streak again. Maybe he really is going for that record (again) just to piss off the Elders.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Maybe he really is going for that record (again) just to piss off the Elders.

My exact thoughts. Be pretty funny if he did, too, because they just got done parading every single match of Japanese golden child Chiyonofuji's streak on the sumo app.

anakha posted:

See Gibbo's comment. gently caress the haters, imo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The sound of Harumafuji and Myogiryu's heads butting at the tachiai made me cringe. Holy poo poo that was brutal.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Harumafuji I think was bleeding from his forehead a bit in the end too.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That happens to him sometimes. I think it's the zits on his forehead breaking...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjdwzu0wqE

lmao, Goeido promised 13 wins, and has a good chance of going kadoban.

Epic stuff from Harumafuji and Goeido, and a lot of feisty finishes in general.

Terunofuji vs Hakuho tomorrow. :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
drat, Hakuho is strong.