Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Is the 360 retro yet? I'm pretty sure it came out like 10 years ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
If you believe eBay listings, everything's retro

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Police Automaton posted:

If you believe eBay listings, everything's retro
And everything that is retro is also "RARE! WOW!"

Why yes I'll just sell this SMB/Duck Hunt cart for 25 dollars :downs:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of eBay, I cannot believe how crazy the prices N64 stuff has gotten over the past year or so. $50 for an N64 controller? $100+ for an Ice Blue N64? I bought these things maybe a year and a half ago for 1/4th that. :psyduck:

Kazvall posted:

Anyone have some good Zelda clones to recommended? Is Golden Axe Warrior as good as it looks?

Illusion of Gaia. Nintendo even marketed it as a Zelda clone.

Saoshyant posted:

I've been thinking about game storage, especially of disc-based media. I live in a decently non-humid area, but I think I'd like to begin storing some of my rarer stuff inside some sort of ziplock bags. Is there any company producing ziplock bags with the right size for DVD cases (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube), Saturn (bigger than DVD), jewel case size (Dreamcast, PS1, Saturn) or anything of the sort?

Also, I read some article mentioning that due to bad disc pressing in the early days it would be a good idea to further protect the label area so less poo poo gets into the data section using something like these label guards. Supposedly, it would help delay disc rot.

Any of you have any experience with any of this stuff? Tell me your secrets.

I've found more discs unplayable because of the scratching on top of the disc than on the bottom. The reflective foil comes up, and that's where the data is stored, and you're screwed as no amount of buffering will fix that. Some games, depending on the type of artwork used on the discs, are more susceptible to this. My Final Fantasy Anthology for the PS1 flaked off super easy. Discs with artwork like Discworld seemed impossible to do this to. All depends on how it was printed.

fatpat268 posted:

Sort of. You can find the adapter cable for cheap.

But the supply for the reproduction AGS-101 screens dried up. The ones remaining got jacked up in price... so your only options are to suck it up and pay the price, or sacrifice a legit ags-101 (which I don't really recommend).

Are the reproduction AGS-101 screens identical to the ones in the backlit GBA SPs from Nintendo? Cheaper quality or something?

Mr. Onslaught posted:

If I'm trying to connect a GameCube (NTSC) to a small Sony PVM, and the primary use will be the GBA player with some a handful of GCN games, should I just live with S-video? The alternatives are paying 150+ for a d terminal or component cable to adapt to scart, or swap the case of this JP Orange Ganecube with some PAL internals. Neither of those are ideal considering the small amount of time I'll even be using it, so I'm hoping someone can help me justify going the lazy route with S-Video.

RGB is the best way to play games, but can the difference be obviously noticeable on a 14" screen that can't even use the progressive scan mode of the component cables in the first place? Is there a preferred S video cable to use? Googling shows a lot of crappy ones attached to composite leads.

I eventually got this to work with the Action Replay, but it took forever. I don't remember what I did. I believe I had the AR disc in (of course) and the GBA Player disc ISO on my SD card, and loaded it in some convoluted way. I think I needed an updated .dol or .elf or whatever the hell. It took forever to figure out and even with knowing it now, it's still a decent number of steps you have to go through to get it to work. Like a full minute of fiddling with crap every time you wanna play a GBA game.

I'm really anal retentive with image quality stuff (see my ridiculous multiplexing screen post) but I really did not notice a difference between s-video and component when playing the GBA. Definitely not $200 worth of difference. The GBA has real poor color quality even on the Gamecube and RGB/component does not fix that in my opinion.

Thank you so much for posting this. When Final Fantasy VI is done, man I am gonna have a field day. I'm pretty good at looping audio so I will even make a music pack of what I find to be the best music. Relm weepyloop :allears:

Also, For those into TCRF.net such as myself, I found a forum that is dedicated to TCRF and lost/missing stuff inside game ROMs. Just thought I'd link it in case anyone here was interested:

http://jul.rustedlogic.net/forum.php?id=12

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Speaking of eBay, I cannot believe how crazy the prices N64 stuff has gotten over the past year or so. $50 for an N64 controller? $100+ for an Ice Blue N64? I bought these things maybe a year and a half ago for 1/4th that. :psyduck:

Yeah, I wanted a Pikachu N64 but those things are too pricey now. I like the N64 but I don't like it enough to pay that much for a second one.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^ Ditto! They were $60-80 buy it now for a very long time and I put off getting one way too long hoping I'd get one for a random Christmas/Bday present

Yes! I bought a NASTY AS gently caress jungle green N64 from a resale shop last summer for $5 with the intentions of fixing it up and selling it to someone and using said profits to buy 4 more N64 controller extension cables. (Keep in mind I already own a watermelon red one and 2 OG greys) Of course I haven't gotten to it yet, probably because I've literally got some rust sanding to do and have no clue if I can even fix it, but man with prices how they are even the shell is selling for a shitload now.

I expected games like Smash Bros to get up there in price but now practically everything is. With the exception of Sculptor's Cut I've got every N64 game I could ever want and them some now and I'm sooooooo happy I got most of them when they were dirt cheap. I laughed when people wanted more than $75 for Sculptor's Cut not too long ago but now in the "100% collection" day and age I'm fine with the fact I'll never own it now. The Everdrive 64 more than fills in that little gap anyway.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily I am not one of those collector's that needs to have every game, but if I was I probably wouldn't count games that weren't available at a regular brick and mortar store. I wouldn't even count Wisdom Tree or other unlicensed stuff. That's just me though. (Also I am trying to make you feel better)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Anyone have some good Zelda clones to recommended? Is Golden Axe Warrior as good as it looks?

NES Willow.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

falz posted:

Trying to complete a US Sega Master System collection (about 20 games short) if anyone interested in some trades or something.

If only there was some way of letting everyone know what games you actually need.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

$50 for an N64 controller?

I don't think I would ever buy an N64 controller whose stick I couldn't test

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

I really liked this game as a kid, but either it's really hard or requires some grinding. Definitely recommend though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

I really liked this game as a kid, but either it's really hard or requires some grinding. Definitely recommend though.

There's a bottleneck point late in the game where you pretty much have to grind up to a certain level, but the game's a real joy to play, so it's hardly a bother.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Yeah, Golden Axe Warrior is pretty awesome. If you don't want to spend a few hundred on the cart, it is on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (yes, they include a few Master System games) for the Xbox 360/PS3.

Along those same lines, the Oasis series is pretty fun (Beyond Oasis is the first game, The Legend of Oasis is the second).

The_Frag_Man posted:

My view is no, there's still regular releases for it. But if someone wants to say the ten year old games are retro I'm not going to argue the fine point of what defines "retro" with them.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, Golden Axe Warrior is pretty awesome. If you don't want to spend a few hundred on the cart, it is on the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (yes, they include a few Master System games) for the Xbox 360/PS3.

Along those same lines, the Oasis series is pretty fun (Beyond Oasis is the first game, The Legend of Oasis is the second).

Is Soul Blazer considered a Zelda clone? I remember enjoying it way more than Zelda as a kid.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

midge posted:

Is Soul Blazer considered a Zelda clone? I remember enjoying it way more than Zelda as a kid.

If they're already counting Illusion of Gaia, then yeah because they're the same series (+ Terranigma). I don't really feel like they are, but I can see why people would say that they're Zelda clones.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

My view is no, there's still regular releases for it. But if someone wants to say the ten year old games are retro I'm not going to argue the fine point of what defines "retro" with them.

The PS2 had releases up to 2013 and I think it's safe to say PS3/Xbox360 will be getting new releases until at least 2018.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

The PS2 had releases up to 2013 and I think it's safe to say PS3/Xbox360 will be getting new releases until at least 2018.

In limited regions and very irregularly. I mean, the Genesis still gets occasional games. The 360 still has a few releases every month in the US.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks for some solid choices, thread.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The_Frag_Man posted:

I bought a brand new launch-date full price 360 game just a couple weeks ago. No it is not retro.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

In limited regions and very irregularly. I mean, the Genesis still gets occasional games. The 360 still has a few releases every month in the US.

Augus posted:

I bought a brand new launch-date full price 360 game just a couple weeks ago. No it is not retro.

According to Gamefaqs there are less than a dozen scheduled releases in NA for the Xbox between now and September. That number will be cut in half next year. I really don't see how it's any different than the PS2 was when it was 10 years old and you were seeing full priced scaled back current gen ports and niche/small budget titles.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

I'm not much into consoles but the prices always make a jump upwards when the whole retro thing goes through the media in some way, and when it's up it rarely goes down again. Sometimes it does though.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I don't think I've ever called the prior generation to the current generation of games "retro", save for instances where there IS no followup. And the number of years the system has been out is effectively a non-issue because technology upgrades are relatively incremental at this point, so there's less incentive to build new consoles as often (where companies traditionally lose money) when they can continue to make current games on the last-gen hardware.

:shrug:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

According to Gamefaqs there are less than a dozen scheduled releases in NA for the Xbox between now and September. That number will be cut in half next year. I really don't see how it's any different than the PS2 was when it was 10 years old and you were seeing full priced scaled back current gen ports and niche/small budget titles.

PS2 still isn't retro either. :v:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There hasn't been much arcade talk recently, so let's change that!

Some recent acquisitions. On the left is Finalizer and the right is Jail Break. At some point I plan to track down more of these older Konami boards, I love how small they are. :3:

On the top is Sky Shark, and the bottom is Twin Cobra. Some of my favorite all-time shmups and I'm beyond happy to own the boards of them now.

Mutant Fighter board, filling another notch in my Data East collection. A somewhat interesting but not all that great game. Sort of a wrestling-type game where you try to grab your opponent and mash out commands.

Legionnaire boards, the top one being the Korean version and the bottom is the US version. Basically, the top one I bought from a collector at one point, whereas the bottom was an untested board I snagged for cheap. Thankfully, they both work just fine. Funny enough, all the text in the Korean version is in English.

Finally, a Growl board. Probably one of the more interesting arcade games in my collection, it's a beat-em-up starring not-Indiana Jones that has you beating up poachers and occasionally letting animals do the dirty work for you. One thing I will say, Taito F2 boards like these are notoriously picky about their sync. Luckily my Framemeister handles it alright, but I don't envy anyone having to do it manually.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Looking over it, the PS2 had more releases in its 10th year than the Xbox 360 has (scheduled) for its 10th year so going by releases means absolutely nothing.

wa27 posted:

PS2 still isn't retro either. :v:

So when's the inclusion point? Its been almost 15 years. An entire generation has been born and raised. If you were old enough to have memories of playing the PS2 then you're an adult now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

So when's the inclusion point? Its been almost 15 years. An entire generation has been born and raised. If you were old enough to have memories of playing the PS2 then you're an adult now.

Trying to figure out the magic dividing line is pointless since everyone is going to draw it in a different place, but my view is:

1. Successor system is released or the system is discontinued.
2. Regular game releases have stopped in the major markets.
3. A couple of years have passed since then.

If I can go to a major retailer and pick up the system and a new release for it, it's not retro.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Any good game stores in Indianapolis? I'll be driving through in an hour or so.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I just received the best question from an ebay user for my regular sega genesis bundle auction...

Dear kazvall,

How does this system smell?

- randomebayuser

E: You know what I hate most about the Sega Genesis, Morpheus?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I think about it, this earlier Adventure TIme game is also mostly a Zelda II clone if you like that game.

And how could I forget, the best Zelda-ish game on the NES: Startropics!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

If I can go to a major retailer and pick up the system and a new release for it, it's not retro.

This seem like the best way to define it.

Complete non-sequitar: some pages ago we were talking about really chill games and I'd like to go outside the box a little and nominate Desert Strike. Sure you're flying around blowing stuff up with hellfire missiles, but the lackadaisical way you go about levels, where you can pretty much just go where you want and don't always have to do mission in order, means there's not a ton of stress involved. The lack of music and the sparse landscape add to it too. Combine that with the rescue ladder that you use to reel in hostages and its almost like a fishing simulator where people die.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kazvall posted:

I just received the best question from an ebay user for my regular sega genesis bundle auction...

Dear kazvall,

- randomebayuser

Tell him you've checked and it smells like the inside of a nose.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kazvall posted:

I love Golden Axe Warrior. More refined Zelda ripoff. I also just got Neutopia on the Tg16 that I'm about half way through. Its decent, will probably replay GAW after as I haven't played it in years.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Tell him you've checked and it smells like the inside of a nose.

Millions of options ran through my head to tell him what it smells like. None the less, usually if someone is asking a question about a listing they're probably interested in buying it, hahaha.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Trying to figure out the magic dividing line is pointless since everyone is going to draw it in a different place, but my view is:

1. Successor system is released or the system is discontinued.
2. Regular game releases have stopped in the major markets.
3. A couple of years have passed since then.

So Dreamcast was retro 4 years after its release :colbert:

Since we often rate generations by the decade and "everything is better when you're 12" I give everything 12 years. 10 years to surpass its decade and 2 years to generate fond memories. And in 12 years if you were a child you're now an adult and that new perspective accounts for a lot.

Kazvall posted:

Dear kazvall,

- randomebayuser

I've received weird questions like "What color is the console" when it's clearly pictured on the auction like c'mon.

But smoke smelling consoles is a deal breaker. I guess he should have just asked if you smoke indoors? Not like the seller is inclined to answer truthfully.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 12, 2015

falz
Jan 29, 2005

midge posted:

If only there was some way of letting everyone know what games you actually need.

The magic of Internet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_psOg5FdxX702qO-rRgEhHvhrCWLHMu4-zP4fjT1c6Q/

I dont have anything tagged as trade there, but probably anything non SMS/Genesis/tg16. I also have many spare genesis consoles, one of which is a later model Genesis2 with the "good" video encoder that's usually in the model 3.

Edit: tg16 stuff close to my heart.

falz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 12, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kazvall posted:

Millions of options ran through my head to tell him what it smells like. None the less, usually if someone is asking a question about a listing they're probably interested in buying it, hahaha.

It smells like SEGA!!!!!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

al-azad posted:

I've received weird questions like "What color is the console" when it's clearly pictured on the auction like c'mon.

But smoke smelling consoles is a deal breaker. I guess he should have just asked if you smoke indoors? Not like the seller is inclined to answer truthfully.

It was a goon. God bless you Chinook!

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

falz posted:

The magic of Internet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_psOg5FdxX702qO-rRgEhHvhrCWLHMu4-zP4fjT1c6Q/

I dont have anything tagged as trade there, but probably anything non SMS/Genesis. I also have many spare genesis consoles, one of which is a later model Genesis2 with the "good" video encoder that's usually in the model 3.

For a second I got excited when you said "Later model Genesis2" but then I realized that probably means VA4 rather than VA2.0/2.3

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Asbrandt posted:

For a second I got excited when you said "Later model Genesis2" but then I realized that probably means VA4 rather than VA2.0/2.3

Could have sworn a VA4 model 2 isn't that bad. Sure, it doesn't have a YM2612.

E: All my 2.0 or 2.3s have the KA2195D which pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yeah, I bought several genesis's to get one with an encoder that I could add svideo to. The Genesis2 Im talking about has a smaller motherboard (visible from holes in bottom) and CXA1645 (I think).

Looks like VA3?

• Locked thread