Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shinjobi posted:

I'll give you this. Vegeta is fantastic when used for the punchline. Battle of the Gods was the most I've liked Vegeta in a really long time. Probably since Namek, really.

Namek was the best Vegeta, especially the fight with Cui. Vegeta is at his best when he KNOWS he's more powerful than his opponent. See also: 19, Pui Pui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Vegeta is awesome because he's an arrogant, brutal no nonsese rear end in a top hat who is paired up with a bunch of super do-gooders like the Z-team

Also, Vegeta vs Pui Pui is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bthV2eFZuCY

Poor pui pui

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, in the manga, Pui Pui was roughly as strong as Apule and died in a single page from a kick and a chest blast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vegeta is one of two characters in DBZ with any sort of arc

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Meanwhile, in the manga, Pui Pui was roughly as strong as Apule and died in a single page from a kick and a chest blast.

One of the few examples of a fight being made better by being made longer.

"10x gravity! Now I have the upper ha-aw gently caress."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordaedil posted:

I always think Vegeta have peaks

Vegeta only has one peak, and that's his hairline.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vegeta is great because he teaches kids that it's okay to cry, you can still be badass. Goku never cries, but Vegeta does, and Goku is not nearly as cool.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Vegeta sacrificed his life to save his family and friends from their greatest threat ever. Goku serially abandons his family and actively empowers his enemies.

It's like Goofus and Gallant over here.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Endorph posted:

vegeta is one of two characters in DBZ with any sort of arc

I think that's not entirely accurate. Vegeta changes a lot, but much of it isn't properly shown.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Goku sacrificed his life to save his family and friends from their greatest threat ever. Vegeta serially abandons his family and actively empowers his enemies.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Saiyin blood seems to be more powerful the less Saiyin you are. poo poo is dumb.

I remember one of the old data books saying that, as a 1/4 saiyan, Pan had the potential to go an entirely unique form of SS.

This has never been followed up on, of course.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

How dare you counter my own simplified cherry-picked analysis with your own equally justified cherry-picked analysis. Rude.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well I don't think Vegeta ever actually abandoned his family.

Left them in mortal danger without giving a poo poo, sure (beginning of Android arc) but he was still in the 'giant rear end in a top hat' days of his character arc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pureauthor posted:

Well I don't think Vegeta ever actually abandoned his family.

Left them in mortal danger without giving a poo poo, sure (beginning of Android arc) but he was still in the 'giant rear end in a top hat' days of his character arc.

Technically his family didn't exist yet from his point of view (without the time travel) so I'm not sure that counts.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mycot posted:

Technically his family didn't exist yet from his point of view (without the time travel) so I'm not sure that counts.

He knocked up Bulma and didn't see her for like 2 years. Then when he finally sees them again he lets them get blown up by Android 20. What does he do? Chases after Android 20 instead of checking up on them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kild posted:

He knocked up Bulma and didn't see her for like 2 years. Then when he finally sees them again he lets them get blown up by Android 20. What does he do? Chases after Android 20 instead of checking up on them.

He could see their parachutes. They were fine.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I can't even watch that scene now after DBZA.

"Korin...can you come pick me up?"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, Bulma's known Goku since she was sixteen, so if she was going to die so easily to a chump it would have happened by now. And the kid is his and half-saiyan. If your half-saiyan kid dies in a simple explosion you probably needed a new one anyway. I am positive this is how Vegeta's brain works.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueKaO8OSKYA

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

projecthalaxy posted:

Vegeta sacrificed his life to save his family and friends from their greatest threat ever. Goku serially abandons his family and actively empowers his enemies.

I think the best example would be:

* Goku watches Cell squeeze Gohan to death and despite having been around him for years, it takes Piccolo telling him that his son isn't a fighter and is scared because he doesn't know Goku's plan for him to realize he screwed up.
* Vegeta spends the whole arc ignoring Trunks, but goes apeshit on a guy who is considerably stronger than him the moment he kills his son.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Vegeta is so much better of a father and husband and fighter than Goku it's ridiculous. Unfortunately Goku keeps stumbling and bumbling into success while Vegeta has to work.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
on the flipside, Vegeta blew up a planet and tried to blow up earth and actually did blow up a stadium full of people

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

* Goku watches Cell squeeze Gohan to death and despite having been around him for years, it takes Piccolo telling him that his son isn't a fighter and is scared because he doesn't know Goku's plan for him to realize he screwed up.
I hate this part of the Cell Saga. You don't have to be a fighter to not let someone wail on you when you're stronger than they are. He has no problems attacking Guldo, Ginyu, Recoome or Frieza but suddenly its an issue now? Against a guy who nearly murdered Piccolo, murdered whole towns, murdered Trunks #3.

He may not be a killer, but he's definitely shown to be a fighter up until this point. He was a timid baby in his first battle and when Piccolo was training him but after Piccolo sacrificed himself he rid himself of that.

Then in Buu arc he has no problems fighting for fun. He literally becomes a superhero to fight crimes.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Xenoverse has convinced me that Bardock is awesome and should replace Goku as main character.

However Bardock loses dad points for apparently forgetting about Raditz or - if he can see the future - not giving a poo poo that one kid helps kill the other. Then again, maybe Saiyan culture is pretty chill about fratricide.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Zzulu posted:

on the flipside, Vegeta blew up a planet and tried to blow up earth and actually did blow up a stadium full of people

Vegeta was a better son, Goku killed the only father he ever knew.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zzulu posted:

vegeta only blew up a planet in the anime filler though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

vegeta only blew up a planet in the anime filler though.

Considering he was working for Frieza he presumably murdered a whole bunch of planets before he went rogue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

furiouskoala posted:

Vegeta was a better son, Goku killed the only father he ever knew.
master roshi is alive and well

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kild posted:

I hate this part of the Cell Saga. You don't have to be a fighter to not let someone wail on you when you're stronger than they are. He has no problems attacking Guldo, Ginyu, Recoome or Frieza but suddenly its an issue now? Against a guy who nearly murdered Piccolo, murdered whole towns, murdered Trunks #3.

Gohan kinda sucks.

ImpAtom posted:

Considering he was working for Frieza he presumably murdered a whole bunch of planets before he went rogue.

The first scene we see of him and Nappa is them eating some aliens on a planet they probably cleaned out.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

good point, it's hard to argue that sayian saga vegeta wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat. After all Toriyama had no intention of turning him into a good guy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Monaghan posted:

good point, it's hard to argue that sayian saga vegeta wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat. After all Toriyama had no intention of turning him into a good guy.
And he'll be the hero in the next movie. :unsmith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dear god I hope not.

Vegeta works as a punchline, not a hero.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dear god I hope not.

Vegeta works as a punchline, not a hero.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think Vegeta is going to be the hero this time you guys

Heres hoping your wrong, because Vegeta deserves some time in the sun (or at least avenging his race). :sun:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Who else wants to see Super Saiyan God Vegetto?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Thyrork posted:

Heres hoping your wrong, because Vegeta deserves some time in the sun (or at least avenging his race). :sun:

Well probably but ROF looks awful so who cares.

I liked it better when it was just the Frieza saga.

Or Revenge of cooler.

Don't need to see it a third time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

You're bad.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or Revenge of cooler.

Get out. :colbert:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or Revenge of cooler.

Thanks for your input, I'll get Toriyama on the phone immediately.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sorry the truth bothers yall.

Battle of the Gods owned but this is a huge letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Battle of the Gods owned but this is a huge letdown.
you haven't even seen it yet man

• Locked thread