Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Blitter posted:

Well, 5.1 is out for your phone and it seems pretty good. Also, replacing your battery is easy if that is your problem.

That's cheaper than I expected. Might have to do this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The hardest bit is getting the actual battery out. Its stuck down pretty well and there's not much space for leverage round the side.

Also when reassembling make sure you click back in the upper centre area of the back shell, not just the edges. That's got the vibration and qi connectors in it

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Well, 5.1 hasn't fixed the memory leak. My system RAM usage is 1GB, processes are restarting and the launcher is redrawing.

gently caress.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
5.1 fixed the sound search widget so it's not all caps anymore.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

WugLyfe posted:

That's cheaper than I expected. Might have to do this!

A lot of the amazon reviews for the battery linked there are claiming it's a crappy counterfeit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

I do have titanium backup, but have not knowingly enabled this - where do I find the setting? I've only noticed one which is a one-off backup.
It's in the backup list twice. Create an exclusions filter and use that for your schedule instead of all apps.

I took it as an opportunity to finally just back up the things that need it instead of a full system backup.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
5.1 also destroyed my battery life today. Was at 6% when I got home, and thats after spending an hour+ on the qi charger during the day. Granted, I just added an exchange account and spent the whole day streaming all-access to my LG Tones, but it still should have been at 40% or so, not 6%.

Actually I don't think its a result of 5.1, I think its some app being a little bitch.
Still a pain, regardless. Phone is rather warm.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 12, 2015

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

A lot of the amazon reviews for the battery linked there are claiming it's a crappy counterfeit.

It totally is! And with the genuine article shipping in three months, I won't do this!

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look at all these glowing reviews of 5.1. I can't wait for my incoming disappointment.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Did Google fire all of their good engineers six months ago or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like 5.1 has a bug with Chromecast that won't let you set it up if you must.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/2yno9h/chromecast_has_an_issue_in_android_51/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like 5.1 has a bug with Chromecast that won't let you set it up if you must.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/2yno9h/chromecast_has_an_issue_in_android_51/

This unironically owns.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

For gently caress's sake.

In other news, I had three sudden restarts today! First time my N5 has ever done that. Awesome. Maybe its a subtle way of it telling me to get the gently caress off 5.0.2 already?

First time was really odd, I was trying to swipe away a card in Now and it would redraw the launcher at the home page each time I tried. Restarted after the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool constant wakelock on 5.1 which appears to be caused by bluetooth, even after turning it off.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What case should I buy for my new Xperia z3 compact?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What case should I buy for my new Xperia z3 compact?

I got this Incipio Dualpro for mine. It was a little slippery when I first got it, so I uglied it up with some sandpaper to give it some grippiness. I also had to cut a hole for the magnetic charger, but if you're willing to either take off the case to charge or open the flap that isn't really necessary. Even with those two modifications, it's still the best case out there for the Z3 Compact. Welcome to buying an uncommon phone.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Athenry posted:

So 5.1 is way better on my Nexus 7 2012 than 5.0.2 ever thought of being. Not quite as good as when it shipped but great for a 3 year old device.

Maybe if it ever dropped cards from Recent Apps, because the thing will drag after more than a dozen or so (I even made it soft-reboot in 5.0.2 once). As far as I can tell Recently does it for tasks that have been terminated for anywhere from 12 hours to a week (or just at all, reducing Recent Apps to an alt-tab) and doesn't actually kill any foreground or background (or even paused) tasks, but it also requires root.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

So 5.1 hasn't fixed the memory bug, just has broken Bluetooth.

Motorola can take their goddamn time with their 5.x update for my Turbo, then. Getting at least 18 hours of battery life with Android Wear, LG Tone-750 bluetooth headphones, 4 hours of podcasts at 1.3x speed, and 3 hours of screen on time.

Interesting they added a couple of features and fixed a couple of bugs but ignored the main problem.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sirbeefalot posted:

In other news, I had three sudden restarts today! First time my N5 has ever done that. Awesome. Maybe its a subtle way of it telling me to get the gently caress off 5.0.2 already?

Pretty sure they never released 5.0.2 for the N5, so you can't blame the goog for that if you have a hack job.

5.1 is working well for me so far, now 30ish hours in. No redraws, system memory is sticking at around 400MB, Bluetooth works fine.

Can't be sure about battery just yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wooger posted:

Pretty sure they never released 5.0.2 for the N5, so you can't blame the goog for that if you have a hack job.

5.1 is working well for me so far, now 30ish hours in. No redraws, system memory is sticking at around 400MB, Bluetooth works fine.

Same for me, though I didn't have any trouble on 5.0.1. Tonight's battery consumption was really good so I'm happy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I upgraded my friend's 2013 Moto G to 5.0.2 last night. On the lock screen, the gesture to swipe left has the phone icon, the icon to the right is for the camera. The issue is that it works in reverse. If you swipe to the camera icon, the dialler starts up and vice versa.

WTF? :shrug:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I upgraded my friend's 2013 Moto G to 5.0.2 last night. On the lock screen, the gesture to swipe left has the phone icon, the icon to the right is for the camera. The issue is that it works in reverse. If you swipe to the camera icon, the dialler starts up and vice versa.

WTF? :shrug:

Is not swiping to the left to get the phone, swiping to the left "pulls" the camera. Is basically the opposite to what you're used to do. Add it to the whole Lollipop trolling.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Guillermus posted:

Is not swiping to the left to get the phone, swiping to the left "pulls" the camera. Is basically the opposite to what you're used to do. Add it to the whole Lollipop trolling.

That's really intuitive :wtc:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's really intuitive :wtc:

It's exactly like swiping to a different home screen, or swiping to the Google Now page on the Google Launcher. Do you swipe up to pull down the notification panel, since it's at the top of the screen? No, you swipe down to pull it down.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Everything in android is pulling stuff, its hardly new

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On KitKat the Camera icon was shown in the bottom right and swiping left slid the entire screen over to reveal the camera view. So the icon is still in the same place and the gesture is still identical, it's just the animation that is different.

Consider also that you swipe up to unlock the device which is away from the unlock icon, and swiping down pulls the notification drawer down. This is generally how touch interfaces work: tap, hold, and pull things towards where you started,

If you find it more intuitive you can start the drag from the phone/camera icon and drag it to the middle of the screen, this gives the same result (and is the same gesture just from a different start point).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And if anyone is still struggling it tells you exactly how if you tap the icons

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It makes logical sense but it'd be difficult to argue that it's good UI.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If nothing else VoLTE on Verizon seems to work like a champ now on the N6 after the 5.1 update.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

I was dumb, it is on 5.0.1, flashed the factory image. And it restarted again the first time I tried to reply to this with Awful. :suicide:

I'll be flashing 5.1 tonight, and if it doesn't work out over the next week, back to 4.4.4.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

It makes logical sense but it'd be difficult to argue that it's good UI.
"It makes logical sense" is a pretty good argument for it being good UX!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

"It makes logical sense" is a pretty good argument for it being good UX!
Does it really? It looks like a button or a target, not a draggable element. Worse, it only makes sense if you knew what it was like when there were lockscreen widgets and panes. Really that's the only reason I can remember how it works.

I think worst of all though is that it completely ignores the idea of Material Design by which I mean the lockscreen in general doesn't have a mental map for its operation and it certainly doesn't behave like a material with physical properties.

Dragging down expands notifications. Okay, it does and that's an accepted (excepted lol) usage metaphor in Android, but the notifications don't pull down but rather spring out of nowhere at the top, nowhere near my finger. Shouldn't they fall down from the top as if to say "Notifications are up here, where they live, and you pulled them down"? Isn't this exactly what Material Design is for? To show that things have some kind of presence and permanence and properties of physics?

Dragging up unlocks and that's the closest to correct at least with a PIN. The numbers spring up from the bottom following the motion of my thumb. I legitimately get a joy of seeing them dance into position when I unlock my phone. You can see my action push the notifications and clock up and back as the unlocker comes up from the bottom. It's delightful.

But Camera and Phone are terrible. Dragging anywhere side to side causes a touch bubble to illuminate from the icons as if to warn the user "Hey, do you know doing this will do this?" And then the view just changes to whatever you were invoking without any indication of why. Does the camera "live" to the right and the phone to the left? If they do, then why can't I see them being dragged from their home? If they don't then why does left and right invoke them? Why am I not dragging toward the thing I want rather than pulling them to the forefront? How would I know it just by looking at the visual cues?

No, there's no defending Camera and Phone shortcuts and while I agree they should be accessible from the lockscreen, the way they're currently doing it (and to be fair the way KitKat did it) are wrong and dumb. Even if the motions to invoke them aren't bad (I'd argue that they aren't great either) they certainly need to think about how it works from a Material Design standpoint because right now it's just nonsense.

I want to mention that I feel Material Design is actually a really good UI paradigm. It's a good idea and when implemented well does a great job of telling the user what's happening and what's going to happen. It looks good and distinctive, it makes the device pleasant to use, look at, and most of all operate. It's cohesive, works well with branding, and I think in most ways more informative and usable than iOS7's style. The only paradigm that I think one could make a good argument is better would be Forestall's original skeuomorphism on the original iOS for informing a user how an interface is going to behave. I can't help but feel a little disappointed with the whole lockscreen thing because it foregoes all that intuitiveness for what seems to be no gain and it's literally the first thing a user sees.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that the gesture is good UX but the animation that responds to you doing that kind of sucks. Which is roughly what you are saying.

So, yes. I think.

:) .

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Does it really? It looks like a button or a target, not a draggable element. Worse, it only makes sense if you knew what it was like when there were lockscreen widgets and panes. Really that's the only reason I can remember how it works.
They are targets. If you tap the camera, it highlights and gives you a left-pointing chevron and a "Swipe left for camera" message. The lock and phone icons behave the same way.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Do you know how to get to different homescreens or the Google Now pane on your phone? It is exactly the same and exactly as intuitive and normal. Do you want something to the right of your current screen? Swipe from right to left. Consistent and entirely intuitive, both in iOS and Android. I also don't understand how you think it isn't consistent with Material Design. I guess they could add depth so that you're pulling the right/left panel over the middle panel, but functionally it would be the same. You're manipulating it exactly as you would a physical object (if you want to get something from the right of you to centered, you pull it from the right to the center). Is that not Material Design?

I think only Blackberry does something different? Do they still have the weird L gesture thing to get to the leftmost "hub" area?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 12, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you know how to get to different homescreens or the Google Now pane on your phone? It is exactly the same and exactly as intuitive and normal. Do you want something to the right of your current screen?
The difference is the camera doesn't appear from the right like a home screen does, it comes out of a little circle. The circle does tell you how to get to the camera when you tap it, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

The difference is the camera doesn't appear from the right like a home screen does, it comes out of a little circle. The circle does tell you how to get to the camera when you tap it, though.
Exactly.

I mean I can see they're explaining in the way the circle glows and grows but it's certainly not apparent that the phone lives on the left and camera on the right. I don't have a problem with the functionality or even the shortcut; I have a problem that the gesture doesn't connect to an action in a way that a user can logically intuit before performing the action. It's certainly not obvious that a dialer lives on the left and you're pulling it into view by dragging left to right and in fact there isn't even an animation in practice, merely an indicator that it will eventually happen if you keep dragging in that direction. The wallpaper doesn't even move as though the view to the screen is moving, it literally just happens. Where's the material there? You're not moving a view to another pane.

That's not good UI, it's simply a thing you need to memorize. Good UI would be being able to look at the lockscreen without touching it and knowing what motions will do what action. There's no way a person who has never used a smartphone would know how to use it just by looking at it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The wallpaper doesn't even move as though the view to the screen is moving, it literally just happens. Where's the material there? You're not moving a view to another pane.

Well poo poo, fair enough. I may have subconsciously filled in the camera sliding into view from the right, but I think that's just from being in the camera app and swiping right to left to get to the recent photos, where that animation does happen.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Well poo poo, fair enough. I may have subconsciously filled in the camera sliding into view from the right, but I think that's just from being in the camera app and swiping right to left to get to the recent photos, where that animation does happen.

It actually worked like this in Kitkat but they changed it because Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Am I crazy or wasn't it swipe left in KK to unlock the phone?

I remember struggling with Lollipop when it came out since it had changed somehow, and I couldn't figure out why it always unlocked to the dialer. Wasn't until I realized it was now swipe up that I figured it out.