Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
$50 Austalian is like $40 American which is dirt cheap for cable here

Not trying to be :smug: (I don't pay for cable here either), it's just interesting the difference in adoption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Robb's goal was to reach King's Landing and take back his sisters/Ned's bones/the dignity of the north. If he took an escalatory detour to gently caress up the Lannisters even more that was a tactic supporting the goal, and in any case just highlights how Renly chilling out and letting the war happen is a smart move.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Vitamin P posted:

Why does everyone think taking King's Landing, then, would have been game? It had no symbolic value at that point and frankly the city is a liability.

By stopping at all the castles, feasting and holding constant tournaments Renly was getting stronger. His army is well-supplied indefinitely by Highgarden.

King's Landing contains almost the entire Lannister household, Joffrey and his siblings, a Stark, and every member of the Small Council. It's the administrative capital of Westeros and contains the Iron Throne, which is a source of massive legitimacy when you are fighting over said Throne. Capturing King's Landing would have made Renly, who looks like a young Robert, and his wife, who is compared to Lyanna, difficult to challenge and forced the remaining factions to the negotiation table.

Lingering on the road might have kept up morale, but it was a dumb decision in a civil war that has already seen multiple reversals of fortune because of delays. Speed is an advantage, a fact pounded into the reader's head through reports of Tywin desperately racing south and Cersei panicking. Hustling along might have made a few lords unhappy, but it's not like Renly was in need of any more political support.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Ross posted:

$50 Austalian is like $40 American which is dirt cheap for cable here

Not trying to be :smug: (I don't pay for cable here either), it's just interesting the difference in adoption.

The thing about Australian cable is
It only recently went down in price (my parents pay over $100)
The only good shows on it are GoT and sports
Free to air in Australia is fairly decent since there are laws to stop paytv getting exclusive coverage to a lot of Australian sport.
Bundled internet isn't a good deal
Cable rollout is fairly limited, a lot of the connections are satellite

So really paying $600 a year to watch GoT is a poor offer plus it turns out being terrible with releasing shows in Australia has created a piracy culture, good luck getting rid of that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Scapegoat posted:

The thing about Australian cable is
It only recently went down in price (my parents pay over $100)
The only good shows on it are GoT and sports
Free to air in Australia is fairly decent since there are laws to stop paytv getting exclusive coverage to a lot of Australian sport.
Bundled internet isn't a good deal
Cable rollout is fairly limited, a lot of the connections are satellite

So really paying $600 a year to watch GoT is a poor offer plus it turns out being terrible with releasing shows in Australia has created a piracy culture, good luck getting rid of that.

That and even if you do pay that much, who'd care about being able to watch it AT THE SAME TIME AS EVERYONE ELSE when I'm probably gonna be at work anyway

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Margeary is one of the most interesting characters in the series to me. I sort of feel bad for her, 3 marriages, and all. The Tyrells are a compelling family and I am way more curious about what they're up to than just about anything with Tree Bran or the Wall.

Something tells me she was not too emotionally invested into those marriages. Like, I could picture her going "Oh drat it, not again!" once Tommen bites it.

QuoProQuid posted:

King's Landing contains almost the entire Lannister household, Joffrey and his siblings, a Stark, and every member of the Small Council. It's the administrative capital of Westeros and contains the Iron Throne, which is a source of massive legitimacy when you are fighting over said Throne. Capturing King's Landing would have made Renly, who looks like a young Robert, and his wife, who is compared to Lyanna, difficult to challenge and forced the remaining factions to the negotiation table.

Lingering on the road might have kept up morale, but it was a dumb decision in a civil war that has already seen multiple reversals of fortune because of delays. Speed is an advantage, a fact pounded into the reader's head through reports of Tywin desperately racing south and Cersei panicking. Hustling along might have made a few lords unhappy, but it's not like Renly was in need of any more political support.

Yeah this. Capturing the capital and seat of government is THE goal in any war. It's fantasy London and if you capture London you have basically officially conquered England, every conflict after that is just fighting "pockets of resistance".

And why would Renly need to consolidate more troops anyway? He already had the numbers, dragging his feet on the Roseroad only served to make his army more bloated and unwieldy, and he would have been totally hosed if someone (like Tywin) cut off his supply lines from Highgarden. Renly strikes me as a chess player who through sheer luck managed to eliminate half of the opponents pieces and then dicks around in an halfhearted attempt to take the other half too, because just going for the check mate isn't flashy enough for him.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Grendels Dad posted:

Something tells me she was not too emotionally invested into those marriages. Like, I could picture her going "Oh drat it, not again!" once Tommen bites it.

Oh god, no she wasn't. But at the point when Tommen dies, she will be SOL. 3 husbands die shortly after the wedding? Regardless of the Tyrell status, the only lords clamoring for her hand will be the minor houses. She'll be the new Lady Frey at this point.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

More peeks at the sets for Dorne and Daznak's Pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWQpTqx8WTw

Doran's wheelchair is baller as hell :corsair:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
With all the awesome as gently caress stuff going on all over S5 it's easy to forget Dorne will make it's debut this season.

I think Jaime is in some deep poo poo, he was tasked with defending Elia yet failed. Hell, they might say if Jaime even tried defending her the Mountain wouldn't of dared touch her. Jaime is Tywin's golden son, Cersei's beloved brother and the ultimate traitor to the Targ/Martell coalition, it's going to be interesting to see how he gets out of this alive. Shame it's almost 100% certain Bronn's dead.

Also, 31 days left.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah they are going to kill Bronn and it's going to be so loving stupid.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah they are going to kill Bronn and it's going to be so loving stupid.

Drogo fighting Mago and the Hound fighting Brienne both sound stupid on paper knowing the books beforehand, but I reckon D&D will make Bronn go out in character and make it awesome.

Plus, we get to see some glavier glaive action. :black101:

BillBear fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 12, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The gently caress is a glavier.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

The gently caress is a glavier.

Mixed my words up, meant glaive somehow ended up with glavier. :v:

I would of preferred the long axe but hey, glaives are cool too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

Oh god, no she wasn't. But at the point when Tommen dies, she will be SOL. 3 husbands die shortly after the wedding? Regardless of the Tyrell status, the only lords clamoring for her hand will be the minor houses. She'll be the new Lady Frey at this point.

I'd take my chances for a crack at Natalie Dormer.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BlindSite posted:

I'd take my chances for a crack at Natalie Dormer.

You think you're a Hodor but you're more of a Reek.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

colonel_korn posted:

More peeks at the sets for Dorne and Daznak's Pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWQpTqx8WTw

Doran's wheelchair is baller as hell :corsair:

This owns. They put so much effort into the Daznak's Pit set, I can't help but wonder if they'll use it a bunch of times this season rather than just the once?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
In case any idiots didn't realize it by now LSH has been confirmed as not being in this season. Somehow this has not prevented some people from arguing around it anyway.

Also a bunch of other poo poo from WotW, just go read the latest post I guess.

Apparently HBO kind of wants more than seven seasons?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

"WotW Article" posted:

An unnamed cast member is interviewed after just filming their death scene, after “several years” of involvement with the show. This character has not yet died in the books. The actor was surprised upon learning of the character’s death and limited screen time, as he/she has read the books and was expecting to have more material than usual to film this year.

Now, this makes me think it's Theon that is dying, because Alfie Allen has been the only cast member I can readily recall who actually reads the books.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Yestermoment posted:

Now, this makes me think it's Theon that is dying, because Alfie Allen has been the only cast member I can readily recall who actually reads the books.

Theon hasn't read the books and he reacts well to being told he'll be killed off.

And there was even a moment where you thought Theon was dead? posted:

Yeah! I got a prank played on me by the writers. They sent me a fake season finale script where Bran killed me at Winterfell, stabbing me in the heart, and it was hilarious. I mean, I didn’t even know, because I hadn’t read that far ahead in the books. And I thought it was a good way to go, and with respect to David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss], it's their call — they do what they do. And I actually loved [that] ending. I thought it was a good death. And then about three weeks past, people were telling David and Dan, when I wasn’t there, “You should probably tell him, because he’s probably tearing his heart out about it.” So they called me and they told me that I wouldn’t be dying — that was a relief! But at the same time, I did think it was a good death. It was a good way to die. And before that, they were suggesting that maybe I could come back as a zombie, and I was open to that. Anything’s possible in the Game of Thrones world, for sure! But I love a good prank.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

They said that they'd be cool with going longer, but they'll respect D&D's views on when the story should end.

They also said "no" to a theatrical finale. Their primary customers are their subscribers and that wouldn't be fair to them. So GRRM can shut up about that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 13, 2015

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Two most likely candidates are either Barristan Selmy or Loras Tyrell. Both actors have read the books and both are at risk of getting killed this season. Whoever it is I hope they're given something interesting to do this season before they die, since neither of them have really been given much time to shine.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I believe Barristan's actor confirmed that he gets a fight scene this season. Finally.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Yeah I read this as well, but I took it as understanding the "main" story that GRRM has planned would still finish in 7 seasons. Subsequent seasons would be fleshing out the extended universe or something, like all those lovely post-ROTJ Star Wars books or something.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Yestermoment posted:

Wasn't there speculation in this thread that Grey Worm would die this season?

I'm not sure they would kill Loras, unless he really was dipped in hot tar at Dragonstone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

My guesses:

-Grey Worm (based on the trailers showing Missandei kissing an unconscious Grey Worm)
-Ser Barristan (his only purpose in the books at this point is to serve as Dany's Westerosi advisor, and to act as the POV for the Battle for Mereen. With Tyrion arriving much earlier than in the books, he could easily fill this roll.
-Tormund (based on rumors that he dies at Hardhome).

So this would be in addition to the inbook deaths of: Maester Aemon, Janos Slynt, Rattleshirt (I imagine he'll die differently than he does in the books given that he is north of the wall), Kevan Lannister, and Maester Pycelle.

Rattle shirt going ou differently is a good bet with the rumors that Stannis doesn't sentence Mance to burn.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Lycus posted:

I believe Barristan's actor confirmed that he gets a fight scene this season. Finally.

And he'll promptly be killed. :smith:

Barristan has been severely neglected on the show. I can see D&D doing away with him and just have his role filled by Daario and maybe Jorah.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm keeping my bet on Grey Worm.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Lycus posted:

Wonder if he gets to fight Jorah in some way. DRAMA... TENSION etc

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Has Daario's actor read the books? Can they just kill him please?

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
If a new spoiler thread gets made before the season starts, the OP should include a death pool poll.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

The actor was surprised upon learning of the character’s death and limited screen time, as he/she has read the books and was expecting to have more material than usual to film this year.

nice at least Bron is safe

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Yeah I think Grey Worm is the most likely to die.

There is no reason to think, given the trailorshe won't get a great fight scene.

He will probably die in the books.

But it might be Barry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grey Worm is definitely dying, but I bet someone more important. It'll be Ramsey or something.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

webmeister posted:

Yeah I read this as well, but I took it as understanding the "main" story that GRRM has planned would still finish in 7 seasons. Subsequent seasons would be fleshing out the extended universe or something, like all those lovely post-ROTJ Star Wars books or something.

They might be trying to do that bullshit nearly every AAA TV show seems to do these days and that's do a final season, make us wait months and then come back for a half season to close it out.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

For what it's worth, the guy playing the High Sparrow told a similar story about an actor being pissed off at their character's impending death. I took that to mean he'd been on-set with them, which would likely limit it to a King's Landing player.

I don't think the Meereen set is in the same physical location as the King's Landing set, is it?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

webmeister posted:

For what it's worth, the guy playing the High Sparrow told a similar story about an actor being pissed off at their character's impending death. I took that to mean he'd been on-set with them, which would likely limit it to a King's Landing player.

I don't think the Meereen set is in the same physical location as the King's Landing set, is it?

Actually that A Day In The Life thing, from what I remember, was partly about the Meereen crew moving to the same set as the King's Landing crew partway through the season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Actually that A Day In The Life thing, from what I remember, was partly about the Meereen crew moving to the same set as the King's Landing crew partway through the season.

Dany's invading Westeros this season!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lycus posted:

Dany's invading Westeros this season!

Heh, I wish, but no. It just seemed like the interior set for Dany's temple (like, where she discusses things with her council) is in Dubrovnik.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
It's probably Ser Boros Blount. Set photos have shown him in Braavos with Arya no one following him. Oh but definitely Grey Worm, and probably Selmy too.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hopefully Grey Worm gets offed so we won't have to witness the inevitable gash on gash sex scene between him and Dany's handmaiden.

• Locked thread