Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The Zero Theorem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Glory, you knobs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Walker ends on a beach. Doesn't Lebowski end on a beach? Or beachside cliffs, anyway.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
The Warriors, it's bittersweet but way more optomistic than the rest of the movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Saving Private Ryan begins on a beach

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Walker ends on a beach. Doesn't Lebowski end on a beach? Or beachside cliffs, anyway.

Ends in a bowling alley.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

Ends in a bowling alley.

It's been a while.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Thank you for all the beach ending movie suggestions.

Halloween Jack posted:

How could you forget Point Break? :haw:

Haven't seen that yet.

Sheldrake posted:

I think beaches represent a sense of renewal moreso than victory, a sense of perseverance against (or spitting in the face of) God and nature.

I think that makes sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crumps Brother posted:

The Zero Theorem

Was this good? I think I remember hearing good things about it on here, but I don't remember what they were...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Deep Rising ends on a beach. But wait! What's that sound?! Oh no, here we go again!

(Deep Rising is so dope)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
On the Beach comes close to ending on the beach but not quite.

La Strada definitely ends on a beach.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did anyone say Planet of the Apes yet?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does The Tree of Life end on a beach or on the salt flats? Been a while, but think it might be the beach.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Snak posted:

Was this good? I think I remember hearing good things about it on here, but I don't remember what they were...
Yeah, I really liked it. You definitely need to watch it if you've like any previous Gilliam films.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The Creepshow segment "Something to Tide You Over" ends on a beach. I guess you could call it a victorious ending.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Deep Rising ends on a beach. But wait! What's that sound?! Oh no, here we go again!

(Deep Rising is so dope)

"Now what?" is the best catchphrase and Deep Rising is my guilty pleasure, the movie that proved Stephen Sommers was ready to make the awesome Mummy movies as comedy-action. The essential problems with Deep Rising are as follows:
  • R-rating for gore and cursing, which while sweet, kept it from being the sort of PG-13 summer tentpole it should have been
  • January release
End of list. :colbert:

It had a plucky sidekick, cool monster effects, badass quip-spouting hero, and Wes-Goddamned-Studi being (much like in Street Fighter: The Movie) much better than the material given to him.

So love Deep Rising.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Allyn posted:

Does The Tree of Life end on a beach or on the salt flats? Been a while, but think it might be the beach.

Neither, after Sean Penn finishes his meditation it goes back to him in real life, and closes with the image of the abstract light pattern that the film started on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Augh. The subtitle track I have for this spanish movie is perfectly good as far as being understandable and flowing naturally. But almost every single cue is off. It seems to be working on a version of the movie that's about 4 minutes shorter than the version I have, possibly a TV edit. It's not just off by one big chunk, it keeps getting worse as it goes on, so I can't use delay to compensate for it.

This is incredibly frustrating. I really wanted to watch this lovely movie!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

Augh. The subtitle track I have for this spanish movie is perfectly good as far as being understandable and flowing naturally. But almost every single cue is off. It seems to be working on a version of the movie that's about 4 minutes shorter than the version I have, possibly a TV edit. It's not just off by one big chunk, it keeps getting worse as it goes on, so I can't use delay to compensate for it.

I had the same issue (also with a Spanish-language film, actually), but since I was watching the film for language-learning purposes and "Film is a visual medium", I just toughed it out. You could just refer to the subtitle file like a script while you're watching, maybe?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Lurdiak posted:

Probably a PAL/NTSC thing, combined with extra logos in front of one regions version.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I think VLC can also change the pace of the subtitles, expressed in FPS. That could maybe work, but I've never tried it myself.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
For beach endings, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the end credits of Jaws.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zorba the Greek.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

SaintFu posted:

The Last Wave

I fuckin' love that ending. I tell everybody to watch that movie but it's a pretty hard sell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why did people hate the Robocop remake? I avoided it for a long time because I assumed it would be a terribly generic cash-in, like the Total Recall remake. Watched it last night and thought it was great. It's practically an existential horror thriller, something that wasn't really explored in the original, so it's not really trying to do the same thing. It didn't try too hard to out-Verhoeven Verhoeven.

There were only two things that I took issue with: Robocop is immuned to bullets less than .50 caliber, but .50 cal will gently caress him up. It's so beyond stupid, but at the same time it's obviously a concession to the audience to clearly state "Robocop is mostly bulletproof, but not indestructible".

The second is that they kind of made Gary Oldman's character a good guy in the end, which is bullshit.

I feel like a large number of people who say this movie wanted it to be "like the original", rather than "good but different".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love the twist of Denham. He presents a fake compromise to indicate that he's sold out to Sellars, complete with sinister music, then when Sellars is out of the way, he gets exactly what he asked for anyway, knowing that any concession he makes to Alex Murphy is just a pretense. He's still OCP property.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
everyone was mad at the Robocop remake for existing. It wasn't going to be a positive audience regardless. It's not that bad but it's not the masterpiece the original is either, so it's not like people are gunna line up to defend it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One thing that I liked about it was, unlike the original, they did't really build Murphy up to have been a great guy. He didn't seem like a bad person, but kind of just a regular guy, maybe a bit of a dick sometimes. It's just that being turned into a machine with both body and free will being an illusion is so horrifying that you're rooting for him anyway.

It really approached things from the opposite direction as the original. In the original, it's essentially a secret that there's any shred of humanity left in Robocop, and people discover that there really is a person in there and that person was Murphy. In the remake, it's a secret that he's not a person and people discover that he's essentially a brain trapped in a killer robot who is powerless to control his actions. While it obviously explores similar themes, it's a very different type of story, and all the themes in the remake seemed very appropriate and topical.

But I'm also a huge sucker for any scifi exploring transhumanist ideas.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, my main beef with Robocop 2014 is that we just got another Robocop remake in theaters like a week ago and it's a thousand times better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly, my main beef with Robocop 2014 is that we just got another Robocop remake in theaters like a week ago and it's a thousand times better.

You mean Chappie? Not really thematically similar to Robocop beyond "robots as cops" and general transhumanist themes. Definitely in the same subgenre, but not really similar beyond that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BUTT posted:

An alternate universe Robocop where he kills his wife and child and uploads them to be robots would be pretty interesting I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snak posted:

Why did people hate the Robocop remake? I avoided it for a long time because I assumed it would be a terribly generic cash-in, like the Total Recall remake. Watched it last night and thought it was great. It's practically an existential horror thriller, something that wasn't really explored in the original, so it's not really trying to do the same thing. It didn't try too hard to out-Verhoeven Verhoeven.
It's been awhile since I watched it, but the most striking thing to me was that the movie seemed to want to talk about military occupation and police brutality, but then the conclusion of the movie involves a long "Go get 'em Robocop" where he's gunning down dozens of faceless, bloodless, gutless bad guys; it's like an old cowboy movie or watching someone play a FPS.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been awhile since I watched it, but the most striking thing to me was that the movie seemed to want to talk about military occupation and police brutality, but then the conclusion of the movie involves a long "Go get 'em Robocop" where he's gunning down dozens of faceless, bloodless, gutless bad guys; it's like an old cowboy movie or watching someone play a FPS.

I don't want to write about it too much now, but while I was watching it I felt like the movie was actually about video games and their development cycle as much as anything else. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but it kind of felt like the movie was satirizing Call of Duty culture as much as the military industrial complex, which I think is plenty relevant to public attitudes towards military violence. Almost all the action scenes are very video-game like, both in visual style and composition. When Murphy becomes Robocop, he is literally reduced to being a "doomguy". He's just a face and a healthbar. So a lot of it really worked for me.

edit: Also, that's no different than the original Robocop, really. Robocop is about problems in our society, but it's never really suggested solutions or claimed the problems can be fixed. It's an underdog story where the setting is the enemy, and it's also just around the corner. At the end of both movies we get to see Murphy make what peace he can with what he has become and his new place in the world, but the world hasn't really changed at all.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 16, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

You mean Chappie? Not really thematically similar to Robocop beyond "robots as cops" and general transhumanist themes. Definitely in the same subgenre, but not really similar beyond that.

Honestly, a lot of how the transhumanist themes play out feels like a conscious response to Robocop, especially with regards to how -----------Deon-------------- reacts to being put in a robotic body. Robocop suggests that humanity is valuable; Chappie counters by saying survival is valuable, regardless of whether you get to stay in a fleshy body.

There's also this:

Snak posted:

edit: Also, that's no different than the original Robocop, really. Robocop is about problems in our society, but it's never really suggested solutions or claimed the problems can be fixed. It's an underdog story where the setting is the enemy, and it's also just around the corner. At the end of both movies we get to see Murphy make what peace he can with what he has become and his new place in the world, but the world hasn't really changed at all.

Chappie also follows pretty much this exact same pattern with a different lens.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Chappie also follows pretty much this exact same pattern with a different lens.

Yeah, I would say that's what makes it a different movie. Chappie is about Robot Jesus teaching humanity that we can join him in the kingdom of roboheaven. That humanity doesn't mean flesh and blood. Robocop is about one man's transition from flesh to machine and if he's still human. Yeah they're very similar themes, but the simply aren't the same story. You can say "Chappie is a better transhumanist movie than Robocop" but I think it's pretty reductive to say that Chappie is a better version of Robocop. It's saying the problem with Rambo is that Black Hawk Down is better.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snak posted:

There were only two things that I took issue with: Robocop is immuned to bullets less than .50 caliber, but .50 cal will gently caress him up. It's so beyond stupid, but at the same time it's obviously a concession to the audience to clearly state "Robocop is mostly bulletproof, but not indestructible".

The second is that they kind of made Gary Oldman's character a good guy in the end, which is bullshit.

I feel like a large number of people who say this movie wanted it to be "like the original", rather than "good but different".

I thought the action scenes were very very poorly done. I loved the bit where they show him exactly what's left of him and I think there are a lot of people trying to do good work in that movie, but it never comes together. Also the lead was terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thought the action scenes were very very poorly done. I loved the bit where they show him exactly what's left of him and I think there are a lot of people trying to do good work in that movie, but it never comes together. Also the lead was terrible.

those are very fair opinions. I thought the actions scenes worked as a satire of videogames and the lead wasn't supposed to be likeable so much as human. There's a part where Robocop steps on a guys hand as he's pressing him for information. My first thought was "ugh I'm tired of heroes being depicted as getting results from torture" and then I realized, Robocop isn't really a hero in this movie. Horror movies are often about a flawed character who, despite not being an angel, doesn't deserve the horrible fate they seem doomed to. This isn't the original, where Alex Murphy is set up as the charismatic, righteous hero. Most of Murphy's one-liners in this movie come off like a guy trying to be tough, but not really pulling it off. But this is in contrast to all the scenes where he is literally in horror at what his reality now is.

I think the guy in this was like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. He might not be an amazing actor, but his abilities are perfectly suited to the role.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

John Dough posted:

I think VLC can also change the pace of the subtitles, expressed in FPS. That could maybe work, but I've never tried it myself.

Yeah it does - fiddle with H or J, or some other keys (G H J K L). You might have to adjust it again from time to time, it's shown in milliseconds so you can go to a precise amount right away if you know it's 4 minutes off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Robocop 2014 might have been ok if it was just a movie that approaches a similar premise to Robocop but does it differently. Instead it's a remake that's worse than the original and can't be judged on its own merits, whatever those might be.

Zwille posted:

Yeah it does - fiddle with H or J, or some other keys (G H J K L). You might have to adjust it again from time to time, it's shown in milliseconds so you can go to a precise amount right away if you know it's 4 minutes off.

That's what I was trying to do, but it wasn't working out, I had to re-adjust it every 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The premise is very different.