Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

The cough, now this.

I don't know if that's a mistake, or harsh criticism.

I assume WWE have to be panicking, though, given that ratings never fall like this during the road to Mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaz-L posted:

I don't know if that's a mistake, or harsh criticism.

I assume WWE have to be panicking, though, given that ratings never fall like this during the road to Mania.

Justification time: The ratings are falling because during last years Mania season Daniel Bryan was the top of the card, so people aren't tuning in because they expect Daniel Bryan to still be the top of the card. So we have to push Roman Reigns so the fans have someone to come back for.

How was that, did I get into Vince's mindset?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't think I've ever heard Austin's story about what happened after his hospital visit from the Owen piledriver before, Jesus Christ :stare:

After they finished examining him he checked out and there was nobody around from WWF at all, they'd just left him there and then gone. So he basically staggered outside suffering a concussion, and three fans who'd followed the ambulance to the hospital offered him a lift back to his hotel, bought him a 12 pack and helped him back to his room. He was at television the next night.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the retro observers are weird because it's all like "Yeah, Austin's fine don't worry about it" because he's obviously talking to someone in WWF, but we all know that poo poo was no where near fine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just loaded up the Raw that followed that incident (August 4th, 1997) and hearing Vince declare,"He's not supposed to be here, he was hospitalized last night and walked out himself at 4am!" is a bit of a mindfuck too, since the first time I heard it I would have just assumed it was typical,"Look how tough this guy is!" stuff and not an actual accurate description of what actually happened.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Yeah the retro observers are weird because it's all like "Yeah, Austin's fine don't worry about it" because he's obviously talking to someone in WWF, but we all know that poo poo was no where near fine.

There's some interesting little notes here and there in late 97 that Meltzer isn't sure Austin will ever be the same based on set backs and what they have him doing at house shows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

There's some interesting little notes here and there in late 97 that Meltzer isn't sure Austin will ever be the same based on set backs and what they have him doing at house shows.

Yeah, and actually Dave's opinion flips when he works out that Austin is actually really messed up, and he keeps no showing house shows and WWF doesn't advertise that he's actually really hurt. Compared first week after it happens it's something like "oh it's a stinger but Austin feels good and is ready to go back to work and he'll be on the next PPV. The doctor said he should retire but ~wrestlers~,"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

So Paige is Butthead's daughter.

Holy poo poo.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

LordPants posted:

Yeah, and actually Dave's opinion flips when he works out that Austin is actually really messed up, and he keeps no showing house shows and WWF doesn't advertise that he's actually really hurt. Compared first week after it happens it's something like "oh it's a stinger but Austin feels good and is ready to go back to work and he'll be on the next PPV. The doctor said he should retire but ~wrestlers~,"

That piledriver is just baffling in retrospect, because Owen and Austin worked it out and Owen said "I fall on my rear end." and I'm pretty sure Austin said 'Don't do that', but Owen did it anyway. Maybe he was told not to steal the Undertaker's finisher? Considering how skilled a worker and nice a guy Owen was, that one lone mistake is REALLY strange.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Cheap Heat podcast with Hero was pretty fun but no real revelations unfortunately. The only thing I didn't know before was that they were all set to turn Cena heel a few years ago to the extent that Cena went and ordered a load new gear for his upcoming heel run (trunks boots etc), but WWE nipped it in the bud and told him he's never turning heel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Seams posted:

The Cheap Heat podcast with Hero was pretty fun but no real revelations unfortunately. The only thing I didn't know before was that they were all set to turn Cena heel a few years ago to the extent that Cena went and ordered a load new gear for his upcoming heel run (trunks boots etc), but WWE nipped it in the bud and told him he's never turning heel.

I know he started wrestling in Trunks and boots... but I think I'd completely forget him as he looks like everyone else.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What, when did he wrestle in trunks and boots

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

What, when did he wrestle in trunks and boots

before the rapper gimmick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeA4Q7INf4

Check the dude when he was generic as gently caress. And on the verge of being cut

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right sorry misread that, thought you meant he reverted to trunks

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
He had a gimmick, he would wear local college colors to show his support!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cornwind Evil posted:

That piledriver is just baffling in retrospect, because Owen and Austin worked it out and Owen said "I fall on my rear end." and I'm pretty sure Austin said 'Don't do that', but Owen did it anyway. Maybe he was told not to steal the Undertaker's finisher? Considering how skilled a worker and nice a guy Owen was, that one lone mistake is REALLY strange.

He leaned over and said "that's for Chono-san."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"Impact is better than WWE right now if you give it a fair shake" -Dave Meltzer

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Dave expects nothing from TNA, so them being a modicrum hint of decent is enough to go "Hey, they're better than WWE"

WWE is loving up everything and has so much to gently caress up. Ergo...

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dave's response to the Daniel Bryan question on today's WO Radio is perfect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fauxhawk Express posted:

which was that again?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

which was that again?

Go watch other good wrestling, you dumb shits.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Listening to the DELUXE version of the pisscast during the morning commute and I lost myself to the trance somewhere along HHHchat, until the cage topic came up and I came to, the time between lost like a first row concussion

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

escape me

Luigi Thirty posted:

It actually is fine and has been for a while

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

That's the worst part, it's not Vince Russo bad, it's 2001 WCW bad where it's just average and boring and 45 year old men do stupid aerial moves for no reason and break things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's the worst part, it's not Vince Russo bad, it's 2001 WCW bad where it's just average and boring and 45 year old men do stupid aerial moves for no reason and break things.

Yeah, the show isn't bad, its just very hard for me to get excited about a show where the top stars are MVP, Bobby Lashley, Low-Ki and Kurt Angle is champion in 2015.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are we talking about WWE or TNA?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

Jerishrug was way cooler than Angle's 50th moonsault off a cage onto his neck.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

beggar posted:

Listening to the DELUXE version of the pisscast during the morning commute and I lost myself to the trance somewhere along HHHchat, until the cage topic came up and I came to, the time between lost like a first row concussion

I suppose we should post it eh?

Wrestlehut Pisscast 83: 311 Day Standard Edition http://ia601501.us.archive.org/29/items/083WrestlehutPisscast/083%20Wrestlehut%20Pisscast.mp3

Wrestlehut Pisscast 83: 311 Day Deluxe Edition Featuring Tiesto [Extended] http://ia601506.us.archive.org/10/items/083WrestlehutPisscastEM/083%20Wrestlehut%20Pisscast%20EM.mp3

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

http://shoutengine.com/MemeLovinDudecast.xml

http://shoutengine.com/MemeLovinDudecast/chapter-the-thirteenth-army-men-unite-7647

We're back with Blue Army Man!!!!
I was driving for most of this. Also I ordered some Chinese food. We talked about fat guys.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

OctoberCountry posted:

its hard to say because i also think WWE is like WCW from 2001 :shrug:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

has the pisscast nominated Sami Callihan for the hall of fame yet? he has admittedly poo poo himself thrice in the ring, the most recent against Kyle O'Reilly in pwg.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

super macho dude posted:

has the pisscast nominated Sami Callihan for the hall of fame yet? he has admittedly poo poo himself thrice in the ring, the most recent against Kyle O'Reilly in pwg.

He made it this show spoilers sorry :(

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

Yeah, the show isn't bad, its just very hard for me to get excited about a show where the top stars are MVP, Bobby Lashley, Low-Ki and Kurt Angle is champion in 2015.

The sad thing is that's a pretty good main event scene all things considered and Impact could be good.

But its not and never will be.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

The sad thing is that's a pretty good main event scene all things considered and Impact could be good.

But its not and never will be.

Impact was pretty solid when it was built around unstoppable silent heel Lashley and his mouthpiece Don King MVP.

Lashley in TNA in general has been very good, in no small part due to them going "Ok, let's have Lashley stand around looking like the terrifying mass of muscle that he is while somebody else antagonizes everyone".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Fess up, who asked Dave about Eric Bischoff's CHALLENGE to Vince at Slamboree 98?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Fess up, who asked Dave about Eric Bischoff's CHALLENGE to Vince at Slamboree 98?

I'd guess Naitch. The best Tuesday Nitro question remains if Zane Bresloff ever gave Dave the shoot attendance figures for Nitro parties.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I wonder if Dave watches the AAA weekly TV? I don't watch it regularly but it seems up there as far as the best weekly TV show right now and it's freely available on YT. Those crowds are great (probably the most consistently good in wrestling right now) and they have pretty good matches pretty consistently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"What options does a WWE viewer have to voice their disappro-"
"None. Nothing. There's nothing."

Geez Dave, you didn't have to tell it like it is :smith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I'd guess Naitch. The best Tuesday Nitro question remains if Zane Bresloff ever gave Dave the shoot attendance figures for Nitro parties.

I asked Dave who Beau James was but I don't think he ever answered that.

I asked Cornette about that Russo WWF Livewire video from '96 (he remembered that and said it was someone's idea to work the internet) and the WWF Wrestle Vessel after we saw the commercial (he had no idea what I was talking about).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Fauxhawk Express posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omfyGr0XCI8

• Locked thread