Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

theironjef posted:

not really defined by colors at all.

You can make this criticism about five-color generals too, though. What's blue about Sliver Queen or Karona? The answer, I guess, is that blue slivers exist and for Karona... I'm not even sure. If you went solely by the colors of her parts she'd be WB which incidentally would be perfectly resonant for a "False God" character. I didn't read the Scourge novel so maybe they explain it there.

Disregarding anything related to the color pie or the assignment of colors is a pretty good heuristic through which to run Maro's remarks in general, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
The only reasonable solution for situations where you'd like to run something that's technically outside of the rules but isn't a huge deal like this is to have a broken option on hand that is within the bounds of the rules. In an older build of my Odric soldiers deck I ran Loyal Cathar, who is illegal due to the color identity of the backside, but I kept a copy of Lost Leonin to sub in for him if anyone complained about it. It turns out that the same players who are sticklers for the color identity of flip cards have a strong overlap with the players who howl about the brokenness of infect since you still only need the 10 poison counters to win the game.

The actual correct answer is only play with enjoyable people who don't mind if you do fun stuff like 4 color generals.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

JerryLee posted:

You can make this criticism about five-color generals too, though. What's blue about Sliver Queen or Karona? The answer, I guess, is that blue slivers exist and for Karona... I'm not even sure. If you went solely by the colors of her parts she'd be WB which incidentally would be perfectly resonant for a "False God" character. I didn't read the Scourge novel so maybe they explain it there.

I actually like thinking about Sliver Overlord here instead, since it's a WUBRG amalgam creature (made out of a pile of present slivers of various colors) created by being present when Karona had her big power burst moment. They're both WUBRG for fluff reasons, yeah. I don't know that the Nephilim are, they're just some Ravnica monsters that popped up and Godzilla'd around til Niv-Mizzet and Rakdos stopped them, right?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I'm amazed that Wizards has released three cycles of Commander-specific box products, not to mention been generally seeding sets with Commander in mind for years at this point, and we haven't seen 4-color generals. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though.

As others have said, I think it's just 4 color cards are hard to design well, so we haven't seen them. I sure once they crack that code, we'll see a cycle of them. Though I'd bet the difference between a 5 and 4 color commander deck are pretty minimal, unless that missing color is blue.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

As others have said, I think it's just 4 color cards are hard to design well, so we haven't seen them. I sure once they crack that code, we'll see a cycle of them. Though I'd bet the difference between a 5 and 4 color commander deck are pretty minimal, unless that missing color is blue.

Notably the Nephilim never made it into a tournament deck, they were basically a failure except as an interesting footnote. Four-color was basically waiting for EDH for viability, and yeah, a suite of four color decks would look really samey except for the WBRG one.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Four color generals are just going to be extremely boring unless they really push them in a 'you have to build around this' direction. Good-stuff decks are pervasive enough as it is without adding more incentive.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Man 10 poison counters is bullshit in EDH. Houserule that poo poo to take 20.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT

Babylon Astronaut posted:

We usually just play against decks that include infect as though they are combo decks and focus our attacks accordingly.

I could see it being annoying if its a popular strategy in your playgroup though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Honestly you might as well just ban poison decks.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Besides Skiz, the only offensive cards for infect are the ones that give creatures infect (an equipment with a drawback and overrun), which are honestly just more like "equipped creature gets Phage's abiilty" and "super overrun". I have an EDH infect deck; it's just not that good in multiplayer compared to goodstuff and real combo. If you made it 20, it would make infect 100% useless outside of the above two cards (and, admittedly, my favorite and one I actually play: the one mana instant that gives target creature infect)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

logis posted:

Besides Skiz, the only offensive cards for infect are the ones that give creatures infect (an equipment with a drawback and overrun), which are honestly just more like "equipped creature gets Phage's abiilty" and "super overrun". I have an EDH infect deck; it's just not that good in multiplayer compared to goodstuff and real combo. If you made it 20, it would make infect 100% useless outside of the above two cards (and, admittedly, my favorite and one I actually play: the one mana instant that gives target creature infect)

A green deck can be pretty deadly with Triumph of the Hordes and there was also a deck I faced that was Grafted Exoskeleton on Nekuzar. I tried using Tainted Strike with my Korlash deck but it never worked out and Hatred eventually proved to be more useful.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

A friend of mine is wanting me to make an EDH deck and I've been mulling over two options from the library I have. I could do both since they don't share the same colors, but before I delve into it, are these terrible ideas?

Option A: Tajic, Blade of the Legion + Worldslayer + any number of tutors to get to Worldslayer.

Option B: building a deck around Experiment Kraj.

I've never done a commander deck before so if these are both awful, please forgive me for my ignorance.

Edit: I realize that Tajics battalion ability will not ever activate after the first swing with Worldslayer attached, but I don't mind slow playing it if it means I win in the end.

Edit 2: I also realize that Experiment Kraj is sorta of costly for a commander, but if I manage to stick an Alexi's Cloak or a Shielding Plax on him...I know, that's wishing for the moon there but he could still be a viable play right?

I'm so confused :(

Santheb fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 12, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

logis posted:

Infect at 10 is only dumb in EDH when Blightsteel is added to the mix. Outside cheating that asshat onto the field, it is kind of hard for an infect deck to deal 10 out of nowhere w/o lots of set-up. (This is why I took Blightsteel out of my Muzzio deck. It just isn't fun.)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I know people for whom Magister Sphinx is triggering.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Santheb posted:

A friend of mine is wanting me to make an EDH deck and I've been mulling over two options from the library I have. I could do both since they don't share the same colors, but before I delve into it, are these terrible ideas?

Option A: Tajic, Blade of the Legion + Worldslayer + any number of tutors to get to Worldslayer.

Option B: building a deck around Experiment Kraj.

I've never done a commander deck before so if these are both awful, please forgive me for my ignorance.

Edit: I realize that Tajics battalion ability will not ever activate after the first swing with Worldslayer attached, but I don't mind slow playing it if it means I win in the end.

Edit 2: I also realize that Experiment Kraj is sorta of costly for a commander, but if I manage to stick an Alexi's Cloak or a Shielding Plax on him...I know, that's wishing for the moon there but he could still be a viable play right?

I'm so confused :(

Option A will make everyone hate you and gun for you after you do it once. Maybe even before you do it the first time. But its a decent strategy if you are a spike and really just care about winning.

Option B isn't a bad idea, but probably nix those two enchantments and just run swiftfoot boots, lightning greaves, maybe whispersilk cloak or mask of avacyn, diplomatic immunity, all methods of giving hexproof/shroud that do other stuff too. But if you are running an expensive commander in green color identity usually you just want to focus some of your 99 on ramping out more lands. Cultivate, Harrow, Kodama's Reach, Boundless Realms for later turns, Collective voyage if you want to accelerate the game usually to your detriment if you are new to EDH, Tempt with discovery if you run land combos, etc.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tajic is the poor man's Zurgo. Also, :laffo: at the dudes butthurt about infect.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Infect is just another thing to add to your decision making when it comes to politics in commander in my experience. The stuff that actually gets to me the most is a combination of infect and proliferate, as I've found proliferate much more difficult to interact with and it just hits everything.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh with my Lord of Tresserhorn edh, I usually go the "surprise, my 10/4 regenerate zambo now swings lethal" and then grixis goodstuff.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The only infect I toss in any of my decks is Triumph of the Hordes, and even then it acts as a situational Overrun with the added utility of weakening their blockers if I can't get a kill with it. Doesn't stop it from getting called bullshit by the people I hit with it, though.

That said, it's won me several games out of nowhere with my token deck.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Who's the other jaya tiny leaders player?

Wheel of fortune is on the ban list :/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Molybdenum posted:

Wheel of Fate and Reforge the Soul aren't. :v:

Edit:

All this infect chat reminded me that I've always wanted to build a walker-focused proliferate deck. Anyone with any experience with that? It will likely be Grixis with a small focus on artifacts just considering the colors proliferate is in. Marchese, perhaps? With all the cool U/B/R walkers and artifact support?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 12, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Until recently I had a Vorel EDH deck with lots of stuff that gave counters or interacted with them. I'll have to look later to see what blur and artifacts cards I ran for Proliferate, but you definitely want Contagion Engine and maybe Inexorable Tide.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I was hardly playing any commander for a few months since I was so busy and now that I'm back to playing regularly I apparently need tiny leaders decks. Not complaining, its a good thing to have between commander games or if there's just one other player waiting for a game, its a nice break from the commander games that can become multi-hour slogs.

Going to build Varolz in the style of some old commander decks I've had where its all about pumping him or an infect guy as big and quickly as possible, then I'm also going to put together an Ashling deck in the style of a legacy/modern burn deck, with Ashling available to wipe the board if they manage to stall me and take it to the later game.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

the commander games that can become multi-hour slogs.

French for liiife.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Molybdenum posted:

I edited my original post saying to swap it back for a Browbeat, sorry about that. At one point the front page overview showed Wheel of Fortune on the ban list, but the ban list page proper didn't, they fixed that.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Victorkm posted:

Option A will make everyone hate you and gun for you after you do it once. Maybe even before you do it the first time. But its a decent strategy if you are a spike and really just care about winning.

Option B isn't a bad idea, but probably nix those two enchantments and just run swiftfoot boots, lightning greaves, maybe whispersilk cloak or mask of avacyn, diplomatic immunity, all methods of giving hexproof/shroud that do other stuff too. But if you are running an expensive commander in green color identity usually you just want to focus some of your 99 on ramping out more lands. Cultivate, Harrow, Kodama's Reach, Boundless Realms for later turns, Collective voyage if you want to accelerate the game usually to your detriment if you are new to EDH, Tempt with discovery if you run land combos, etc.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll try doing something with Kraj first and see what happens with it. I've always wondered how I could work him into a deck and EDH seems like a good opportunity to see what I can do with him.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Some "fun" things you can do with Kraj.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/199813-compiled-list-of-experiment-kraj-combos

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Zonekeeper posted:

The only infect I toss in any of my decks is Triumph of the Hordes, and even then it acts as a situational Overrun with the added utility of weakening their blockers if I can't get a kill with it. Doesn't stop it from getting called bullshit by the people I hit with it, though.

That said, it's won me several games out of nowhere with my token deck.

It's my favorite surprise kill out of the Omnath deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finalizing my Alesha Tiny Leaders deck after a few tweaks.

Here's the deckbox link. It has an obvious Human tribal subtheme. Do you think Thalia should be maindecked, considering how it's currently built? I'm kind of on the fence about that particular choice. Any other changes come to mind?

(Note: I actually don't have Inquisition, Smother, or most of the dual lands.)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Finalizing my Alesha Tiny Leaders deck after a few tweaks.

Here's the deckbox link. It has an obvious Human tribal subtheme. Do you think Thalia should be maindecked, considering how it's currently built? I'm kind of on the fence about that particular choice. Any other changes come to mind?

(Note: I actually don't have Inquisition, Smother, or most of the dual lands.)

I don't see Inquisition or Smother. Are you talking about other cards?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Infect can be a lot of fun. My friend has a Xenagos God deck he plays a lot and I've recently started putting Tainted Strike in any of my black decks just so I can kill people randomly off of a 10+ power trampler he's swinging at them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I don't see Inquisition or Smother. Are you talking about other cards?

No. I was saying they're not in the deck because I don't have them, so don't bother recommending them.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So I'm still loving around with trying to settle on a good graveyard-based control deck. Currently bouncing between Chainer, Xiahou, Jarad, and potentially Teysa 1.0 or Sidisi. Basically black is cool and I want to make a control deck but don't know which way I want to take it. Ideas?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wow I just remembered that I haven't updated my Lord of Tresserhorn deck in a long while, and should probably re-tune it for what I've got available now.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Thanks for this, bookmarked it when you posted it and will go more in depth with it once I get my bonus later this month :)

I do have a question though. If I put a +1/+1 counter from Kraj onto Horseshoe Crab, does that mean I can untap Horseshoe Crab with Kraj or does it give Kraj an ability that lets him untap himself? Just curious as to how that works.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

It lets kraj untap himself. Horseshoe Crab's ability is basically U: Untap {this creature}, as far as I understand at least.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

It lets kraj untap himself. Horseshoe Crab's ability is basically U: Untap {this creature}, as far as I understand at least.

I was hoping this was the case. Being able to untap Kraj seems essential in any deck he's in.

Theoretically speaking, does that mean if I have a counter on both Crab and Tim that Kraj could just...ping down an opposing player given enough blue mana?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tim?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Yes you can go for infinite pings with that guy, kraj, and horseshoe crab if you've got the mana up and running. Kraj was my first legend so I attempted my hand at building a combo deck with him. Didn't get very far because looking through the entire green/blue library and artifacts to find all the things he can combo off with is insanely mind numbing. (didn't stop me from doing so to build a Circu, Dimir Lobotomist deck somehow)