Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

In The Bourne Identify Matt Damon kills a man with a Bic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Peta posted:

wow lol dang mang

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Peta posted:

You would think he would have better taste.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I inked my Waterford Kilbarry Edge. I inked it back when I got it and it was hard to start and went through ink really fast despite that. So I thought it was garbage, which I was pretty mad about since it's rather expensive, and it's been sitting in my drawer ever since. Now that I have some bottled ink, I decided to give it a go again. Filled the converter with green ink (J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage) for funsies, and it started right up and flowed really well. A little wet, if anything, although it still dried in short order. It writes super smooth, felt great. Not sure if it's the converter, or something I did wrong the first time, or just my failure to flush it out before using it. (I flushed it the other day in preparation.) I've been working on Italic script today, which was hard to do with the medium nib in the small notecard I was writing to a friend, but no complaints to speak of.

Speaking of Italic script, I used the guide way back on page 3 or so, which was a godsend since it's very hard to find good resources online. Here's today's work, my first ever. Hopefully I've stripped out anything identifying.

These were done with a Nemosine Fission and a Pilot Prera, both fine nibs, no italic. If anyone is curious, the Pilot is just a black Pilot cartridge, and the Nemosine is filled with J. Herbin Violet Pensée. I switched back and forth because it seemed like, even though I was writing a lot -- and capping it when not in use -- both nibs seemed to dry out over time, especially the Nemosine. Am I doing something wrong there? Is this just something finer nibs do? I was pretty surprised.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Peta posted:

Actually no he doesn't. Castell commits suicide by jumping out the window.

Of course if Bourne had used a fountain pen, he would've killed Castell with no issues. And the stabbing would've been more smooth and enjoyable to boot :colbert:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

I got an ahab in the mail yesterday, along with a bunch of ink samples, some rhodia books, and a filofax. It's pretty awesome so far, and I like that it came with a non flex nib as a backup. Now to not buy any more pens for a little while...

Tell me what you think of the Filofax as I'm on the fence myself as I have enough stationery TBH.

Reminder: LI Pen Show '15 this upcoming weekend http://www.lipenshow.com/

If all goes according to plan it'll be my first pen show and actually being able to see and test ink/FPs in person is nice :3:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Never not flush new pens.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Alder posted:

Tell me what you think of the Filofax as I'm on the fence myself as I have enough stationery TBH.

If all goes according to plan it'll be my first pen show and actually being able to see and test ink/FPs in person is nice :3:

Fffffffffft ugh there's no way I could walk around long enough for this! (recovering from encephalitis)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Alder posted:

Well poo poo, I wish I'd known about this earlier. I'd love to try out some of the crazier Noodler's inks in person.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

grack posted:

Of course if Bourne had used a fountain pen, he would've killed Castell with no issues. And the stabbing would've been more smooth and enjoyable to boot :colbert:

Speaking from personal experience, getting stabbed by a fountain pen is not enjoyable :mad:

I was attacked by an angry editor

No really kids, don't go rummaging through a drawer full of uncapped fountain pens

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if it's cool to mention it here, but I'm unloading a bunch of ink and pens in SA Mart, all relatively low end stuff. I have too many bottles of inks I thought I would like but don't want to use anymore.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Peta posted:

Whoa

a Rotring 600 would have done a cleaner job ~

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Peta posted:

Would trying this with a TWSBI be the pen equivalent of a round exploding in the chamber?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Semprini posted:

Would trying this with a TWSBI be the pen equivalent of a round exploding in the chamber?

Nah, it'd be like using a hollowpoint as the pen breaks apart inside of the target.

Alder posted:

I'll write something up tonight or tomorrow, after I've had a few days of using it.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm thinking of getting into this hobby, but I want to level up my handwriting as much as possible before I invest. It seems like a crying shame to use such a high quality piece of craftsmanship to write like a baby, which is what would happen if I got one now. I think I'm going to learn western style calligraphy, like from the bibles they used to write that looked really cool; and I will also learn Chinese calligraphy by transcribing the classical Chinese poetry. They use brushes for actual Chinese calligraphy, but I think a fountain pen would be a cool middle-ground between a brush and a pleb pen. Or maybe I should get one of those calligraphy markers to practice?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The answer is always to get a pilot metro

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

angel opportunity posted:

Or maybe I should get one of those calligraphy markers to practice?

Depends on your self-dedication really. I have lots of calligraphy manuals but my handwriting looks the same even after all these years. Still love FPS though :v:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I think it comes down to practice, you can't just read the manuals but you've gotta drill it out. I think those markers are good for practice and the skills will probably transfer over to fountain pens.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I think before you "invest" you should really just buy a $15 Metro and see what's up. I mean, how much is a pack of "calligraphy markers" (whatever the hell those are) going to run you?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I'm thinking of getting into this hobby, but I want to level up my handwriting as much as possible before I invest. It seems like a crying shame to use such a high quality piece of craftsmanship to write like a baby, which is what would happen if I got one now. I think I'm going to learn western style calligraphy, like from the bibles they used to write that looked really cool; and I will also learn Chinese calligraphy by transcribing the classical Chinese poetry. They use brushes for actual Chinese calligraphy, but I think a fountain pen would be a cool middle-ground between a brush and a pleb pen. Or maybe I should get one of those calligraphy markers to practice?

I write like a child, don't let it stop you from jumping in.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Personally getting a fountain pen prompted me to start improving my handwriting.

Speaking of which, probably be a bit before I buy one since I just got some new pens, but since I'm working on Italic script... Is there a go-to recommendation for a solid, not too expensive pen with an Italic nib? Or am I supposed to just buy a nib and perform surgery? I hate doing stuff like that if there's anything at all that can go wrong.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Lamy Safari plus an italic nib (Lamy make 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9mm italic nibs), which most online pen shops will offer as a no-additional-cost option when buying the pen. Alternatively you can buy a Pilot Plumix with an italic nib and swap it into a Pilot Metropolitan.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I got hooked with a $7 Jinhao and a set of Pilot Parallels.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Goulet sells number six italic nibs that will fit into a jinhao. So far that's the most satisfying I've found a cheap italic.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's about the end product to me, I guess. If I show you what I wrote and it looks like poo poo, does it matter how nice the pen or ink that I used are? Skilled handwriting with a bic is going to be more aesthetically pleasing than garbage handwriting with a $300 pen with a platinum nub and designer Japanese ink. I guess getting a cheap fountain pen to get used to the style of writing is a good suggestion though.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

I've gotten into fountain pens after about a year or so diving into the calligraphy end of the hobby, starting with broad-based pens. Here is my 2 cents on getting started and how its been moving into pointed pen writing.

If you want to start with western calligraphy I'd recommend a cheapy schaeffer or manuscript broad-edged pen to practice with at first, broader vs finer is better at the beginning. I didn't like felt tip calligraphy pens at the beginning because it required a lighter hand to make sure you're getting all of your serifs and line terminations clean and crisp and my hand just wasn't practiced and smooth enough yet. Having a broad, metal nib made it easier to control my pen angle and keep my thins and thicks distrinct.

I spent a lot of time just doodling out characters to get a fluid feel for the stroke orders, then gibberish strings of letters to practice spacing, then words and sentences. That may seem tedious and it probably is, I found it meditative though and rather enjoyed it. I think your idea of practicing on poetry you like is a good idea, I'd write down haikus and Rumi poems I liked and just practice those. Try out different variations of letters occasionally to see what form of them you like. Eventually I started playing with pilot parallels and really loved being able to fiddle around with ink colors. After that it was only a matter of time before I wanted to experiment with fountain pens.

A few months back I began experimenting with pointed pen, starting out with a noodler and some visconti sepia ink. I really enjoy playing around with copper plate like scripts that flex alot and really exaggerate the thicks and thins. To that extent I've been very happy with the noodler nibs. I had one that railroaded a bit much, and a store clerk was telling me that with noodlers at least there can be enough variation in the nibs that its worth it to try them out before buying. After fiddling with their stock I found one that I feel works even better.

Based on the thread advice, I eventually picked up a pilot metro off massdrop. I enjoy casually writing with it and practicing monoline scripts, but in terms of flexing I don't really like it much at all. It doesn't flex into a thicker line very easily at all (see below). Which is fine, different strokes for different folks and all that.

As for improved hand writing, growing up I've always had awful hand writing. After some appreciable calligraphy practice and some pointed pen practice, if I slow down and write mindfully, my hand writing has improved exceptionally. If I speed up to comfortable speed writing it still looks a good deal better simply because I'd put some deliberate practice into stroke order and even lines. When I pick up writing to a fast pace, say like I would if I was taking a lot of notes like I was back in college, my hand writing is more legible but I wouldn't say it looks that much different. At this point I tend to believe good hand writing is mostly about not hurrying yourself and to avoid scribbling as fast as you can.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 11, 2015

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Please don't flex your metros. I know it's $15 but still, it's literally not supposed to flex.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Remora posted:

Please don't flex your metros. I know it's $15 but still, it's literally not supposed to flex.

Indeed, that was immediately clear and I didn't bother trying too much.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think sealing up the cap finial with silicone grease has helped the evaporation problem I've been having with my Konrad. It's still about half-full after using it all week and I can see a bit of condensation trapped in there so air isn't escaping out the cap like it used to. I took the clip off because that was preventing it from screwing down completely but it was still drafty apparently. Just wanted to mention it in case anyone else had one and was having similar issues.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Alder posted:

Ok, here are my impressions of the filofax.

Pros:
1. customizable. It's pretty neat being able to move sheets of paper around and split things up as you need, or to pull paper out and stick it somewhere else that it's needed more.
2. It lays very flat, and you can flip it back onto itself real easy when you don't have much room or you're writing in it as you hold it. Super nice for when you don't have much desk space to work with.

Cons:
1. The paper is good, but not great. I get some bleed through from my Ahab loaded with noodler's dark matter, and also from my fine nibbed kakuno filled with diamine turqouise mix-free. Not a lot, and it's not consistent, but if you let it it'll bleed through. Pens with 54th Massachusetts and liberty elysium didn't seem to bleed through at all, and it works great with my EF preppys. With the right pen/ink combo you can easily use both sides of the sheet without worry though.
2. No dot grid paper, although some other companies make stuff that will fit apparently.

Overall, I like it as a way to take quick notes or ideas that you don't necessarily need to be permanent, or plan on moving someplace else later. Other than that the goulet pens review seemed to cover them pretty well, and I agree with basically all of it if I remember right.

Gnoll Pie
Jun 17, 2005

Quintilius Varus, give me back my legions!
Wow, it's a scan of a (German, 1903) calligraphy book with a style very suitable for Italic pens, markers and broad edge dip pens.

https://mega.co.nz/#!uE9DlKZZ!dCd4A6rPYTgsIrNyWd-vyvlSEUx8UhE-UnScvbhUsnE

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I just noticed some new colors were added to the Pilot Kakuno line up!

White body with clear feed and pastel cap in yellow, blue, pink, and lavender. They have medium or fine nibs, and the face on the nib is now winking.

I think I'm falling for the yellow one.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

pienipple posted:

I just noticed some new colors were added to the Pilot Kakuno line up!

White body with clear feed and pastel cap in yellow, blue, pink, and lavender. They have medium or fine nibs, and the face on the nib is now winking.

I think I'm falling for the yellow one.

Holy poo poo. I might have to get one just to swap into my metro! It's a shame they don't have a light/pastel grey to go with the set, or a green or orange. Still, we finally have purple and yellow, so that's rad. Long live adorable pens! ;·)

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
drat... Those are pretty awesome. Pastel blue and green get my votes.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

Holy poo poo. I might have to get one just to swap into my metro! It's a shame they don't have a light/pastel grey to go with the set, or a green or orange. Still, we finally have purple and yellow, so that's rad. Long live adorable pens! ;·)

I think I need this cheeky-rear end nib. Having a slightly hard time finding one that is for sure winking though...guess I could swap it into my metro too and just get the white and pink capped one on Amazon...

Edit: I just realized how :black101: this could end up looking if you had nib creep happening with a dark red ink.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mr. Despair posted:

Overall, I like it as a way to take quick notes or ideas that you don't necessarily need to be permanent, or plan on moving someplace else later. Other than that the goulet pens review seemed to cover them pretty well, and I agree with basically all of it if I remember right.

Sounds good since I'm looking for a item to replace my pocket notebooks as they tend to get beat up after a few months. I wish I could use FPs on everything but nowadays it's be either gel or roller ball pens to save me the hassle of dealing w/LQ papers.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Brightman posted:

I think I need this cheeky-rear end nib. Having a slightly hard time finding one that is for sure winking though...guess I could swap it into my metro too and just get the white and pink capped one on Amazon...

Edit: I just realized how :black101: this could end up looking if you had nib creep happening with a dark red ink.

All the "soft" pens have the winking nib, so you're fine getting any of the pastel option from Amazon or Jet Pens.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

pienipple posted:

All the "soft" pens have the winking nib, so you're fine getting any of the pastel option from Amazon or Jet Pens.

Okay, guess it's a nib swap for this then (not a fan of pastels). Now, what's the bloodiest looking ink?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Diamine Oxblood is pretty bloody and behaves really nicely, in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yes, Oxblood is a good contender for bloody inks. I've seen samples of MB Alfred Hitchcock but like other things it's only LE which means $$$.