Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

you haven't even seen it yet man

I have seen it twice, three times depending on how you count the second cooler movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

im gonna go vote for hillary now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
lol you vote.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kild posted:

I hate this part of the Cell Saga. You don't have to be a fighter to not let someone wail on you when you're stronger than they are. He has no problems attacking Guldo, Ginyu, Recoome or Frieza but suddenly its an issue now? Against a guy who nearly murdered Piccolo, murdered whole towns, murdered Trunks #3.

He may not be a killer, but he's definitely shown to be a fighter up until this point. He was a timid baby in his first battle and when Piccolo was training him but after Piccolo sacrificed himself he rid himself of that.

Then in Buu arc he has no problems fighting for fun. He literally becomes a superhero to fight crimes.

Gohan wasn't scared of fighting just due to being passive. He was scared that, due to his increase in power, any mistake would mean that he would blow up the planet by accident and kill everyone. He wasn't that strong back on Namek.

Basically he went through a ridiculously huge power increase, felt how strong Goku was (strong enough to easily blow up the planet), knew he was a little stronger, but felt like he didn't have his father's experience and control and might blow up the planet.

Even in the final kamehameha fight against Cell, a one armed Gohan was holding back a big chunk of the power he STILL had because he was scared of killing everyone with it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Let's just make another Turles movie instead. What happens when a fused SS3 eats the Fruit of Might???

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
For some reason i read that as a fused ss3 eats the tree of might and got an amusing mental image. :haw:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Thyrork posted:

For some reason i read that as a fused ss3 eats the tree of might and got an amusing mental image. :haw:

Well one piece of fruit is nothing to a SS3.

ALL of them however.......

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
As it turns out we were wrong the whole time. It wasn't the Tree of Might it was the vicTory of Might.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Darko posted:

Gohan wasn't scared of fighting just due to being passive. He was scared that, due to his increase in power, any mistake would mean that he would blow up the planet by accident and kill everyone. He wasn't that strong back on Namek.

Basically he went through a ridiculously huge power increase, felt how strong Goku was (strong enough to easily blow up the planet), knew he was a little stronger, but felt like he didn't have his father's experience and control and might blow up the planet.

Even in the final kamehameha fight against Cell, a one armed Gohan was holding back a big chunk of the power he STILL had because he was scared of killing everyone with it.

That only explains his final Kamehameha. It doesn't explain him getting squeezed to death for 10 minutes.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Kild posted:

That only explains his final Kamehameha. It doesn't explain him getting squeezed to death for 10 minutes.

Hey, if someone has to kill the entire Earth, why let it be you?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The real reason is that Gohan's character has never been written very well.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Vegeta lost to Goku in the Saiyan Saga after he got hit with the Kamehameha. Vegeta had to resort to Oozaru to beat him, so in the end it was kind of a hollow victory for him. Plus he did wind up losing anyway.

Too bad Goku/Gohan didn't fight Oozaru Vegeta as an Oozaru. That would have been pretty cool.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If we discount transformed victories then hoo boy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Vegeta lost to Goku in the Saiyan Saga after he got hit with the Kamehameha. Vegeta had to resort to Oozaru to beat him, so in the end it was kind of a hollow victory for him. Plus he did wind up losing anyway.

Too bad Goku/Gohan didn't fight Oozaru Vegeta as an Oozaru. That would have been pretty cool.

Yes, let's have the dude whose power at the time comes specifically from using a technique instead of inherent strength go to a mindless form where he can no longer use the technique.

Truly that would even the odds.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

goku and frieza should have both just stayed in their base forms to make their fight more legitimate, what's this transformation bullshit

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Who else wants to see Super Saiyan God Vegetto?

To be fair Vegetto was probably more powerful than god as a Super Saiyan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Caros posted:

To be fair Vegetto was probably more powerful than god as a Super Saiyan.

Well, duh, Goku surpassed Kami at the end of Dragonball.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Who else wants to see Super Saiyan God Vegetto?

But would he beat Super Saiyan God Brolli?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thyrork posted:

Seems like something Gotenks would attempt.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

But would he beat Super Saiyan God Brolli?

I think you mean "The Legendary Super Saiyan God" Broly. :colbert:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Terper posted:

If we discount transformed victories then hoo boy.

Well, yeah. But Vegeta is really the only guy who loses to Goku and is around to fight him again, especially in a pride way.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I feel like the show could have done some more interesting things with fusion and absorption. If Buu had actually manifested more of the appearance and personality of those he absorbed (more than just token clothing items and throwaway lines) that could have been creepy as hell. Psychological warfare, yo.

On that same topic, Vegetto was hugely wasted. No, not the character itself, but the idea that Goku and Vegeta had basically been inside each other's minds. It would be baller if Goku could have cannibalized some of Vegeta's techniques after that or vice versa.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

projecthalaxy posted:

Vegeta sacrificed his life to save his family and friends from their greatest threat ever. Goku serially abandons his family and actively empowers his enemies.

It's like Goofus and Gallant over here.

The greatest threat ever that he intentionally set free.

Kinda like Cell.

So while Goku is not perfect, at least he had the common sense to say "yeah maybe we shouldn't help unseal Majin Buu" before Vegeta threw his evil tantrum.

And Vegeta goes through the same arc each time, so his character rings hollow to me. He's cried a bajillion times for overestimating his strength, underestimating his opponents', and getting other people hurt in the process because he's a big dumb rear end in a top hat. You stop sympathizing the moment you realize it keeps happening.:sbahj:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Xibanya posted:

On that same topic, Vegetto was hugely wasted. No, not the character itself, but the idea that Goku and Vegeta had basically been inside each other's minds. It would be baller if Goku could have cannibalized some of Vegeta's techniques after that or vice versa.

To be fair, we got that with Gogeta, with the Big Bang Kamehameha.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Shinjobi posted:

The greatest threat ever that he intentionally set free.

Kinda like Cell.

So while Goku is not perfect, at least he had the common sense to say "yeah maybe we shouldn't help unseal Majin Buu" before Vegeta threw his evil tantrum.

And Vegeta goes through the same arc each time, so his character rings hollow to me. He's cried a bajillion times for overestimating his strength, underestimating his opponents', and getting other people hurt in the process because he's a big dumb rear end in a top hat. You stop sympathizing the moment you realize it keeps happening.:sbahj:

It worked in Frieza saga because he didn't overestimate his strength. He snuck around, struck opportunistically, and only really got stopped because Zarbon caught him off guard. Cell saga it worked because he was the legendary pride of his race and felt invincible, so naturally he'd underestimate what looks like some random teenage girl.

Buu is where this kinda falls apart, although I did like one person's read of it as a big old midlfie crisis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He didn't underestimate Buu.

He just didn't give a single gently caress about him.

Plus the Supreme Kai being hella incompetent didn't help things.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, he assumed the Supreme Kai was being a big pansy, especially when he started freaking out over nobodies like Pui Pui and Yakon.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Well I dunno if it counts but there's this dumb scene that starts off cool but the end result is kinda silly.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Plus the Supreme Kai being hella incompetent didn't help things.

You'd think the Supreme Kai would utilize the Kai chain of command and at least drop by King Kai's place or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I love Supreme Kai. When he's first introduced he seems like this sinister figure, then when we see more of him it turns out he's a complete doofus who doesn't even pay attention to current events.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I love Supreme Kai. When he's first introduced he seems like this sinister figure, then when we see more of him it turns out he's a complete doofus who doesn't even pay attention to current events.

At least Beerus had the excuse of being asleep for the last half-century. Supreme Kai straight up missed everything that happened in the prior 10 years despite one of his subordinate Kais being intimately involved with the events. That same kai died 7 years earlier and he didn't even investigate what happened or appear to know that it had even occurred.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Zonekeeper posted:

At least Beerus had the excuse of being asleep for the last half-century. Supreme Kai straight up missed everything that happened in the prior 10 years despite one of his subordinate Kais being intimately involved with the events. That same kai died 7 years earlier and he didn't even investigate what happened or appear to know that it had even occurred.

Yeah you'd think Kais dying of anything short of "extreme old age" would be so rare as to be notable, let alone the cause of death being "evil cyborg space cricket explodified him".

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

Just what does the Supreme Kai do?

edit: Kaigate 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Squallege posted:

Mainly golf and charity events

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Squallege posted:

When Team Four Star gets to Buu they better mock mercilessly how incompetent and ignorant Supreme Kai is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Supreme Kai doesn't even know what Dragon Balls are.

You'd think the dude in charge of the universe would have a handle on those balls that grant the user almost anything they wish for, including immortality, but nope.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Is there any reason why The Supreme Kai never sought out any of the Dragon Ball to revive any of the other Kais? Or why they don't show up in the afterlife? I understand why he couldn't do it for the ones that got absorbed, but what about the ones Buu just blasted to death?

Aurain posted:

Supreme Kai doesn't even know what Dragon Balls are.

You'd think the dude in charge of the universe would have a handle on those balls that grant the user almost anything they wish for, including immortality, but nope.

Oh, well that answers one question. The Supreme Kai is really loving bad at his job.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about the old Supreme Kai? He seems to know more than the new one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He was imprisoned in a sword.

That the new Supreme Kai knew about, but thought was just a regular sword.

Rhonne posted:

The Supreme Kai is really loving bad at his job.

This is what happens when you get promoted because you're the only one left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about the old Supreme Kai? He seems to know more than the new one.

He knew what he was on about, had practical skills and valuable insight into the situation. He might have got himself stuck in a sword, but he was infinitely better than Supreme Kai.

• Locked thread