Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Manac0r posted:

So I often frequent Gametrailers, more out of habit than anything else. Currently they are making Tropical Freeze sound like the second coming.

Can I get some impressions from the thread? Is it top tier?

As someone who's favorite games are challenging 2D platformers, it's my favorite game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Manac0r posted:

So I often frequent Gametrailers, more out of habit than anything else. Currently they are making Tropical Freeze sound like the second coming.

Hell yes! Tropical Freeze is a great game with a top tier soundtrack.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's a platformer that doesn't compromise on challenge, has great level design, is pretty as heck, and has an awesome soundtrack. Not without flaws, but if you like platformers even a little and you don't play it you are depriving yourself.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What are the flaws, then?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Austrian mook posted:

What are the flaws, then?

Apes are disgusting.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bosses take too long and they should not have put that many swimming levels in one world, but these are really pretty trivial.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it has too many collectables, some of your partners are useless except for very specific situations, the boss fights are a real slog that take forever. Like five or six minutes and then the last attack pattern is super complex so hope you weren't attached to your progress, you just died and are doing the whole fight over. Also too many underwater levels which control somewhat awkwardly and they decided to give the Kong's a limited air supply even though they never had this problem in 2d games before, so there's a lot of waiting for or swimming back to bubbles.

Also some checkpoints are just annoying, placed in places where you can't backtrack to a buddy barrel, and you need the buddy to reach a secret exit or KONG letter, so if you lose your buddy, well, better finish the level and start it over.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I just picked up Rayman Legends on the cheap thanks to those trailers in the eShop. I do not see it on the recommended games in the OP but all the reviews sound awesome. Here's to hoping I like it!

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

potassium poisoning

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I just picked up Rayman Legends on the cheap thanks to those trailers in the eShop. I do not see it on the recommended games in the OP but all the reviews sound awesome. Here's to hoping I like it!

Tropical Freeze is still waiting on my shelf to be played, but with that in mind, Rayman Origins and Legends are the two best platformers I've played in probably the last 5-10 years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I have it on PS4 and play it for a few minutes at a time and then have to put it down because it's just so loving weird I need a break. But it's definitely fun.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

A Big... Dog posted:

potassium poisoning

Hyperkalemia. :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How good are the Mighty Switch Force games?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty dang good.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

raditts posted:

Tropical Freeze is still waiting on my shelf to be played, but with that in mind, Rayman Origins and Legends are the two best platformers I've played in probably the last 5-10 years.

I'm pretty excited to play it. The "cartoon come to life" visuals of the trailers really have really grabbed me. We will see I guess!

As for Tropical Freeze, I rented it when I bought the Wii and the difficulty frustrated me at the time. I think I need to try it again. It was hard to beat my head against the wall during some levels when I had Mario Kart, 3D World, and Wind Waker sitting there on the shelf waiting to be played. I've since put in plenty of time with them so I should give it a re-rent.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 12, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Good, but they're very much about figuring out the levels for the sake of beating the par time rather than straight completion. Fun, but I got tired of the lategame of MSF1 when it becomes pretty reliant on memorizing what launching blocks to use and when in levels that have a ton of launching blocks in them.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

I just finished up New Super Mario Bros 2 (2DS) and it mishandles secret exits. Badly.

gently caress hiding every other exit in a hidden block that creates a vine. Jesus H guys, what the christ.

Also, if you enjoyed any of the new super mario games you really need to give the fan-made Newer super mario game a try. A lifetime of playing bad mods on the pc made me reticent, but the level design is Nintendo-quality. And they actually created new world backgrounds and themes and enemies - without the whole enterprise turning into some kaizo hard bullshit.

I'm terrible with technology and didn't know a thing about modding, but was able to get Newer running in about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

With this kind of stuff available, I hope to see a level editor for that game at some point. A modding community even half as extensive as SMW would be incredible.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A level editor, like a Mario Maker of some sort

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

greatn posted:

Well it has too many collectables, some of your partners are useless except for very specific situations, the boss fights are a real slog that take forever. Like five or six minutes and then the last attack pattern is super complex so hope you weren't attached to your progress, you just died and are doing the whole fight over. Also too many underwater levels which control somewhat awkwardly and they decided to give the Kong's a limited air supply even though they never had this problem in 2d games before, so there's a lot of waiting for or swimming back to bubbles.

Also some checkpoints are just annoying, placed in places where you can't backtrack to a buddy barrel, and you need the buddy to reach a secret exit or KONG letter, so if you lose your buddy, well, better finish the level and start it over.

Yeah... I agree on pretty much all of this stuff. Except for the too many collectables thing. The puzzle pieces are worthless, as all they unlock are artwork I believe. Kong letters are usually in plain sight or easy to find, though those are only required to unlock the bonus levels. But the puzzle pieces give you a reason to play levels again at least, but you won't find them all on your first attempt like the Kong letters (even though some of them are tough to get to)

One of the last two final secret levels is hard as gently caress, and I still haven't been able to beat it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really like the way they placed the KONG letters in the levels, yeah- provide an extra challenge without you having to slow down and look for them. I am glad they didn't gate anything behind the puzzle pieces.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

Apes are disgusting.

Agreed

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Good, but simple and short. If I had paid full price for what amount to about three hours of content I would have been annoyed. The levels are mainly pretty easy puzzles that you have to solve and once you do that there's not much reason to come back to it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Narcissus1916 posted:

I just finished up New Super Mario Bros 2 (2DS) and it mishandles secret exits. Badly.

gently caress hiding every other exit in a hidden block that creates a vine. Jesus H guys, what the christ.

Also, if you enjoyed any of the new super mario games you really need to give the fan-made Newer super mario game a try. A lifetime of playing bad mods on the pc made me reticent, but the level design is Nintendo-quality. And they actually created new world backgrounds and themes and enemies - without the whole enterprise turning into some kaizo hard bullshit.

I'm terrible with technology and didn't know a thing about modding, but was able to get Newer running in about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

wow, thanks for pointing this out. I played through the entire first world tonight and it was great!

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Manac0r posted:

it's good but the boss battles blow because they're just too loving long. You die a lot in this game, which is fine, but having to go through the memorized part of a boss battle for 20 minutes to the new hard part time and time again sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twat McTwatterson posted:

it's good but the boss battles blow because they're just too loving long. You die a lot in this game, which is fine, but having to go through the memorized part of a boss battle for 20 minutes to the new hard part time and time again sucks

Note that this can be circumvented by stocking up on DK Barrels before the fight, which effectively quadruples your health.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Astro7x posted:

wow, thanks for pointing this out. I played through the entire first world tonight and it was great!

You're welcome! The difficulty curve is really well-managed too. Its never as boringly easy as some of the New levels, but even the final set of levels never gets too insane. The game gets really inventive, even coming up with some great twists on airships and ghost houses.

On a totally different note, I'm playing DKCR (with classic controller support hacks) and I adore the K levels. Even the lack of Diddy kong feels purposeful and strangely fair.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Twat McTwatterson posted:

20 minutes? What game were you playing? There was no boss in that game that took more than 8-10 minutes to finish, and I'm using that time for the last boss.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People really overstate how bad the boss fights are in Tropical Freeze

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I prefer the Tropical Freeze battles to the mario battles... some game designer at Mario HQ has absolutely convinced himself that 3 is some sort of magic number, but he's wrong, it makes a lot of boss battles feel way too short.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Three is the magic number.

Yeah it is.

It's the magic number.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Polo-Rican posted:

I prefer the Tropical Freeze battles to the mario battles... some game designer at Mario HQ has absolutely convinced himself that 3 is some sort of magic number, but he's wrong, it makes a lot of boss battles feel way too short.

I like the boss fights in Mario games for that exact reason. v:shobon:v Platformers are generally all about progression forward or up, and when you break up that progression with a long boss fight then the game either makes you use the game's combat mechanics (which tend to be simplistic in a platformer) or it shoehorns in an overlong scrolling section.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
One thing that's caught my eye with recent Nintendo games is the little "pause" that happens after you damage a boss or stronger enemy. Is there any word on why this is? It has to be intentional.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

One thing that's caught my eye with recent Nintendo games is the little "pause" that happens after you damage a boss or stronger enemy. Is there any word on why this is? It has to be intentional.

Probably just a fun effect to give a feeling of impact.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The pause when anyone gets hit or picks up a power up in 3D World is probably the game's biggest flaw, cool my girlfriend's jump timing just got thrown off because I got hit by a fireball on the other side of the screen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, it's kind of refreshing to have a boss battle that is not three hits and that's it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Most 2D Mario boss fights are also kinda crap once you realize that most of the koopa kids give you a slight opening before they launch into an attack pattern, every time. You can sneak in three hits long before they even use their gimmicky attack.

Also, I'm in World 3 of Donkey Kong Country Returns. Holy hell, this is glorious. I really like how the game handles difficulty - starting in World 2 it doesn't gently caress around but it also absolutely spews extra lives and tokens at you. I talked to a friend who mentioned that he found the game too hard. I then realized that he never used any items because "that would be cheating." And while the yellow potion is pointless, the extra heart is a literal lifesaver every time I've used it.

The game is just going bananas with excellent levels - cannon cluster with a barrage of cannonballs on the beach, tidal terror where I'm dodging octopuses and tidal waves, and then a romp through ruins that bring back everything I love about barrels in this series.

Its like Retro extracted what made the original DKC great, threw out the rest, and brought their own hand to the series.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Youre using items? :jerkbag:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Using items is definitely cheating. If you aren't playing with your toes, like a real monkey, you aren't playing the game as intended.

Cheater.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Waltzing Along posted:

Using items is definitely cheating. If you aren't playing with your toes, like a real monkey, you aren't playing the game as intended.

Cheater.

Donkey Kong could easilly learn how to hold a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rayman Legends is, to me, a much better game than New Super Mario Bros U

• Locked thread