Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get a battery while you're there. And a spend $10 on a multimeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Get a battery while you're there.

My current battery is 8 months old. :negative:

Edit
Walmart didn't carry any batteries that fit the drz. I bought a tender and multimeter though, so we will see how that goes. In the meantime I came across this post on advrider.

quote:

Originally Posted by markjenn
Sitting current draw on my 06 DRZ-S is nearly 2 mA, double the 1 mA spec that Suzuki publishes. Most people with S bikes have reported similar numbers.

And it's not the clock that most people suspect - it's the voltage regulator. Disconnect it at the big connector on the left frame tube and the static current draw drops to less than 0.15 mA. Suzuki has some QA problems in their regulators.

With a 7 amp-hour battery, a 2mA draw should be sustainable for four months or so, but I suspect that once the bike gets to half-charge or less, it probably won't start reliably, so this really means you have a couple month window before fully-charged DRZ will be unable to be started. Throw in a battery that's a little below snuff, cold weather, etc. and I've found that I have to battery tender mine if I won't be riding at least every few weeks and when I ride it, I need to ride it long enough to get a good charge.

Marginal electrical systems on these bikes. Most just battery tender them unless they ride regularly.

- Mark
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304676

Does this fix make sense? The only thing I know about electrical work is what it feels like when you gently caress up.:derp:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 12, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, I've had this bike about a month and have been checking oil every week or so. Last week when I did so, I saw... nothing. Zero oil through the plastic window. The only thing that happened inbetween was the bike was knocked over overnight, so it's possible some oil may have leaked.

I rode the bike maybe 30-40 miles in this state before noticing, so presumably there was at least some oil or the engine would have exploded.

I added oil immediately and it seems to run fine mechanically, but:

1. The new oil turned black instantly, within a few seconds of the engine running.
2. The engine sounds/seems clunkier. Thumper, so it was never quiet, but it's definitely louder now.
3. After riding, I noticed there is smoke coming from somewhere in the engine.

Any thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you checking the bike in the appropriate position? What bike?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Are you checking the bike in the appropriate position? What bike?

Level incline, after letting engine run and cool.

CBR300R.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's probably supposed to be checked upright. If you've been checking it on the side stand, you've been running it way overfull, so it's been likely burning oil like crazy/spitting it into the air box.

If it was knocked over for an extended period, it could have spit a pile of it through the vents into the air box, but oil doesn't just disappear. Overfull on oil will do some weird stuff to the engine over time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tirinal posted:

1. The new oil turned black instantly, within a few seconds of the engine running.

Normal. Every engine does this.

tirinal posted:

2. The engine sounds/seems clunkier. Thumper, so it was never quiet, but it's definitely louder now.

Could you describe the noise a bit more? It could be that something has been damaged by low oil level, but if you didn't see the oil lamp it's probably fine. I know for myself, if I get the oil jitters everything does tend to sound louder and more horrible...

tirinal posted:

Could you have spilled some oil behind the cylinder when filling? Does it smell anything?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

It's probably supposed to be checked upright. If you've been checking it on the side stand, you've been running it way overfull, so it's been likely burning oil like crazy/spitting it into the air box.

It is, but I checked the difference when I first got the bike and I compensate. It's not much actually - this particular model has a notoriously tall sidestand.

Ola posted:

Normal. Every engine does this.

Hmm. Alright. With synthetic oil and a new engine I didn't know how typical it would be.

quote:

Could you describe the noise a bit more? It could be that something has been damaged by low oil level, but if you didn't see the oil lamp it's probably fine. I know for myself, if I get the oil jitters everything does tend to sound louder and more horrible...

"Clunkier" D:

Every thump is louder. At idle it almost sounds like a Harley.

quote:

Could you have spilled some oil behind the cylinder when filling? Does it smell anything?

I used a funnel, so I doubt it. I actually have almost no sense of smell, but I'll have the gf check.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Chichevache posted:

Update! Tried again this morning. Bike seemed to fire for a minute before the battery gave out completely. I couldn't bumpstart it and pushing it all over the place didn't get me any charge at all, so I'm going to Walmart for the cheapest battery tender possible and hopefully they have starter fluid too.

I recommend this thing for tricklecharging.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

You can also get the quick-connectors for a few extra bucks. I put my motorcycles on the charger whenever they arent being ridden out of habit.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

tirinal posted:

Hmm. Alright. With synthetic oil and a new engine I didn't know how typical it would be.

All it takes is a drop or two of dark oil in 100ml of a nice clean and clear solvent like xylene to turn the whole batch a lovely dark brown.

The maybe 0.3qt of oil still left in your engine is -way- more than enough to contaminate the 1-2qts you use in an oil change. Don't worry about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

My current battery is 8 months old. :negative:

Edit
Walmart didn't carry any batteries that fit the drz. I bought a tender and multimeter though, so we will see how that goes. In the meantime I came across this post on advrider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304676

Does this fix make sense? The only thing I know about electrical work is what it feels like when you gently caress up.:derp:

You need to be systematic. Charge up your battery as much as you can. Crank the bike with the multimeter hooked up across the terminals and see what the voltages are before, during and after cranking (and what it's charging at if it starts up).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, Socal. Living in the Pomona area at the moment.

Balls! I have a compression tester but I'm a bit far.

Get a lovely walmart multimeter while you're there. :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Currently looking at a used YBR125 with a speedo that is exclusively metric for some reason, rather than dual. Seems like it'd be a pain to deal with and a new dual speed clock set is only about fifty quid; question is a) are they hard to change, b) can I swap a metric dial for an imperial one as-is without messing with the sensor, and c) what's the legal deal with having a fresh odometer in there? Would I need to advance the mileage somehow or leave it and just note the old reading in the logbook?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tirinal posted:

It is, but I checked the difference when I first got the bike and I compensate. It's not much actually - this particular model has a notoriously tall sidestand.

"Clunkier" D:

Every thump is louder. At idle it almost sounds like a Harley.

I used a funnel, so I doubt it. I actually have almost no sense of smell, but I'll have the gf check.

Probably fine then - just the usual psychosomatic "oh poo poo is that a new noise"? When you feel like you've neglected your bike. Happens to us all :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tirinal posted:

If it got tipped over and some leaked out, it probably got on a pipe or hot engine piece somewhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Currently looking at a used YBR125 with a speedo that is exclusively metric for some reason, rather than dual. Seems like it'd be a pain to deal with and a new dual speed clock set is only about fifty quid; question is a) are they hard to change, b) can I swap a metric dial for an imperial one as-is without messing with the sensor, and c) what's the legal deal with having a fresh odometer in there? Would I need to advance the mileage somehow or leave it and just note the old reading in the logbook?

A. They are easy to change.
B. Yes.
C. There are companies that do a calibration service where they wind your new clock forwards to match your old one. This may or may not be necessary where you live.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

it probably got on a pipe or hot engine piece somewhere.

The first time I changed the oil on my old ninja this happened and I freaked out when I saw smoke coming from under the engine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Or just do what the old grey import guys did and stick some mph stickers at the important speeds and save yourself a shitload of hassle.

Legally all you need to do is have an MOT garage do the swap and send off a form that they did so, with the old mileage on it. However the next buyer of the bike will walk away when they see that if they have any sense.

On that note, if I were you I'd walk on that wrong-speedo detail, because unless the PO has a *really* good excuse (and lots and lots of supporting paperwork) it just smells really suspect, and YBRs are ten-a-penny so why not get one that doesn't have that smell?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll have to anyway, he pulled the ad after I messaged him :v:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

YBRs are ten-a-penny so why not get one that doesn't have that smell?

More like ten-a-grand-and-a-bit. I'd rather have a cat d for 750ish if I can (though almost all of these are at least 80 miles away, so I may have to suck it up and adjust my budget)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 12, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

You need to be systematic. Charge up your battery as much as you can. Crank the bike with the multimeter hooked up across the terminals and see what the voltages are before, during and after cranking (and what it's charging at if it starts up).

After charging the battery everything cranked and sounded great, but still no start. I'm picking up the starter fluid for a compression test right now, when I get back I'll do the multimeter tests and the compression test.

nitrogen posted:

I recommend this thing for tricklecharging.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

You can also get the quick-connectors for a few extra bucks. I put my motorcycles on the charger whenever they arent being ridden out of habit.

That's the one I just got from walmart. Unfortunately my garage (apartment complex) doesn't have an outlet, so I would have to remove the battery every single time I wanted to do that. Since I ride it practically every day that just isn't convenient for me. :smith: Thanks for the suggestion though.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

After charging the battery everything cranked and sounded great, but still no start. I'm picking up the starter fluid for a compression test right now, when I get back I'll do the multimeter tests and the compression test.

That's the one I just got from walmart. Unfortunately my garage (apartment complex) doesn't have an outlet, so I would have to remove the battery every single time I wanted to do that. Since I ride it practically every day that just isn't convenient for me. :smith: Thanks for the suggestion though.

Park it in your apartment.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Park it in your apartment.

Not everyone wants their kitchen smelling like durian.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Just tried spraying starter fluid in the air box and nothing happened. So I guess either my new spark plug is seated incorrectly or some other option I will check tomorrow morning, or I have whatever causes a lack of compression, or something, I guess. gently caress.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Chichevache posted:

Just tried spraying starter fluid in the air box and nothing happened. So I guess either my new spark plug is seated incorrectly or some other option I will check tomorrow morning, or I have whatever causes a lack of compression, or something, I guess. gently caress.

Did you check that the plug you're currently using will spark when held against the frame? Sometimes it feels like the boot is seated but you really have to break your hand to seat it on there when installing it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Did you check that the plug you're currently using will spark when held against the frame? Sometimes it feels like the boot is seated but you really have to break your hand to seat it on there when installing it.

I checked the corroded plug from the picture against the frame and it sparked still. My new plug was already inside the bike and I didn't feel like pulling it out and testing it against the frame after I had already installed it. The first thing I am doing tomorrow morning is pulling the new plug and making sure it isn't defective. Then, of course, I will try making sure the boot is seated properly, again.

When all of these fail I will report back to find out how much horrible labor I will have to do on the carburetor. :negative: God rest my soul.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One thing at a time.

1. Check your new plug for sparking with the aforementioned test. If that checks out ok,
2. Take off your airbox and spray starter fluid directly into the carb while cranking. If that doesn't work,
3. Borrow a compression tester

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

I checked the corroded plug from the picture against the frame and it sparked still. My new plug was already inside the bike and I didn't feel like pulling it out and testing it against the frame after I had already installed it. The first thing I am doing tomorrow morning is pulling the new plug and making sure it isn't defective. Then, of course, I will try making sure the boot is seated properly, again.

When all of these fail I will report back to find out how much horrible labor I will have to do on the carburetor. :negative: God rest my soul.

This sounds awful. Good luck!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

One thing at a time.

1. Check your new plug for sparking with the aforementioned test. If that checks out ok,
2. Take off your airbox and spray starter fluid directly into the carb while cranking. If that doesn't work,
3. Borrow a compression tester

Will I have to worry about the starter spray already in the airbox or will that dissipate by tomorrow? I don't want to accidentally blow my engine up (again).

builds character posted:

This sounds awful. Good luck!

I bought this DRZ over a Ducati M750 that was the same price because I wanted to learn how to work on motorcycles.:unsmigghh: (If I had gotten the Ducati it would have broken too, I'm sure, I just wouldn't have been able to fix it at all)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Chichevache posted:

Will I have to worry about the starter spray already in the airbox or will that dissipate by tomorrow? I don't want to accidentally blow my engine up (again).

I bought this DRZ over a Ducati M750 that was the same price because I wanted to learn how to work on motorcycles.:unsmigghh: (If I had gotten the Ducati it would have broken too, I'm sure, I just wouldn't have been able to fix it at all)

It is for sure gone by now. You can just take off the air filter if that's easier. It's a straight shot to the carb that way.

You're sure you're getting gas to the carb yeah? You can check the drain screw on the float bowl. Should (try to) start with just ether but it's not a bad idea to be sure. If you're getting fuel, air and spark it's something else obviously..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On such a simple engine, if you're getting fuel, air, spark and compression the only thing it can be is something being hosed to do with the ignition timing, like a damaged flywheel (or whatever the DRZ uses for a pick-up), a bad crank position sensor or a weak coil/bad ignition lead which pass the spark test but aren't generating a fat enough spark to actually run the engine.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Is there a light in your garage? If so, you can wire it for an outlet.

I only bring that up because I JUST gave that same idea to another friend of mine who said the same thing in his garage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nitrogen posted:

Is there a light in your garage? If so, you can wire it for an outlet.

I only bring that up because I JUST gave that same idea to another friend of mine who said the same thing in his garage.

There is a light. They cut power to it during the day. I don't know if I'd be able to leech electricity from it if I even knew how.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

It is for sure gone by now. You can just take off the air filter if that's easier. It's a straight shot to the carb that way.

You're sure you're getting gas to the carb yeah? You can check the drain screw on the float bowl. Should (try to) start with just ether but it's not a bad idea to be sure. If you're getting fuel, air and spark it's something else obviously..

When I pulled the gas tank a ton of gas drained right out of the carb, but I will add that to my list. Thanks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I'll have to anyway, he pulled the ad after I messaged him :v:

More like ten-a-grand-and-a-bit. I'd rather have a cat d for 750ish if I can (though almost all of these are at least 80 miles away, so I may have to suck it up and adjust my budget)

Do not touch a Cat D write-off learner bike. Ever ever ever. In fact almost never touch a Cat D bike unless you're a mechanic yourself and have free access to serious equipment, but learner bikes are so cheap that the margin for repairs is basically zero so the absolute bare minimum will have been done to get them through the MOT and things like bent/fatigued frames and seriously hosed engines/gearboxes *will* be waiting for you.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I saw a tiny bit of surface rust on my chain that wiped off on contact today - does this mean I'm doing something wrong? How normal is chain rust? I I'm pretty good about lubing my chain regularly with DuPont non-fling Teflon chain lube but I rarely clean it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
A rolling chain gathers no rust

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
B-b-but, I'm in Colorado and couldn't ride my bike on ice...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Chichevache posted:

There is a light. They cut power to it during the day. I don't know if I'd be able to leech electricity from it if I even knew how.

This would do it:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_17576-43469-6502_4294722558__?productId=3774299

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
This is the dumbest newbie mechanic question, I'm sure.

I have a 73 Honda CB350f. Started dewinterizing last night. Front brake lever had no pressure, so I took off the brake piston assembly thing, bled the brakes and got good pressure. Out of my driveway about 100 yards down the street, I had absolutely no front brake and no pressure on the lever. Do I need new break lines? Or is it possibly a more severe issue?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Something different happened! I just tried testing the new spark plug, the one that was inside the engine, against the frame. I don't know if it sparked or not, because when I tried turning the bike on a fluid splashed onto my face from the bike. I didn't see exactly where it came from, but it smelled like gasoline and I think it came out of the spark plug hole. I haven't touched anything else yet because I had to go watch the bike bukkake off my face.

They disconnect power to the lights in the garage during daylight hours. The only way I could use that is at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sounds like your needle valve or float isn't working right and the engine is flooded. Anyhow, it's one carburetor, it won't be a huge deal to clean off and fix.