Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

More from the dana 35 chronicles

It's been a long time since I've seen pictures taken with a JamCam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

Why didnt they just cut the starter signal and make a hidden push button?!

Because they already have a killswitch hello arent you listening?

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Its awkward to wrap your head around but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc9A3YdUTRs

Ooooh it's the center. Got it. Thank you.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Are you still collecting obscure head gaskets?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Im so goddamn stupid!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Plinkey posted:

Right there with ya buddy.

My U-Joints have always looked like this when I've changed them. How else are you supposed to know it's time to change them?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same here. I replace em with greasables so I can keep that from happening again.

Here's one I cooked in 2010. Note the bluing, heat cracking on one cap, and melted surface on the trunnions of the cross. Also the shiny spots on the outside of the yoke ears because they were riding on each other. I drove it 100 miles home at 50mph or so like that without realizing how bad it was. I knew it was hosed, which is the only reason I was doing 50 not 80...

Also note the black magnetic dust stuck to the trunnions. That's what was left of the needle bearings, caps, and trunnions. It's magnetic because it was heated above the Curie point by the failure and became magnetized semipermanently by the Earth's magnetic field when it was kept in a stable orientation while cooling below the Curie point again.

The Curie point for steel is 1417 degrees Fahrenheit. (1043K, 770C)

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

Same here. I replace em with greasables so I can keep that from happening again.

Here's one I cooked in 2010. Note the bluing, heat cracking on one cap, and melted surface on the trunnions of the cross. Also the shiny spots on the outside of the yoke ears because they were riding on each other. I drove it 100 miles home at 50mph or so like that without realizing how bad it was. I knew it was hosed, which is the only reason I was doing 50 not 80...

Also note the black magnetic dust stuck to the trunnions. That's what was left of the needle bearings, caps, and trunnions. It's magnetic because it was heated above the Curie point by the failure and became magnetized semipermanently by the Earth's magnetic field when it was kept in a stable orientation while cooling below the Curie point again.

The Curie point for steel is 1417 degrees Fahrenheit. (1043K, 770C)

Kastein has already seen these, but this happened to me the other day. I've been ignoring a steadily worsening vibration in my Cherokee for the last year or so, thinking I was going to sell it soon and buy another DD. Well... Don't ignore vibrations. Running late on my way to work, I dared to bring the Jeep up to 75, and this happened.

That's the center of the double cardan in my front Driveshaft, which sheared at 75mph. However, it didn't sieze or break the driveshaft, instead it ran out horribly and dented the floor in a good 1" on both sides of the tunnel. From what Kastein has told me, this is basically impossible without exploding the transfer case. However, after I pulled it out in the parking lot at work, the Jeep no longer vibrates and there's no discernible play in the front output or the front axle input. I'm a lucky bastard. The pics are after I split it by popping the u-joints out. (Which were fine)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Note to self: buy new U-joints before putting the driveshaft back in the Nova...

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I wanted to put new universal joints on my van when i had the gearbox overhauled, but ran out of money.

Not looking forward to it. :stare:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Mooseykins posted:

I wanted to put new universal joints on my van when i had the gearbox overhauled, but ran out of money.

Not looking forward to it. :stare:

Its usually not bad unless they're staked in, and if they are then just loving slam your dick in the hood.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

cursedshitbox posted:

Its usually not bad unless they're staked in, and if they are then just loving slam your dick in the hood.

I think they're just pressed in on mine.

I'm sure i can drag my lazy rear end back under it to find out when the driveshaft falls out from neglect.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

haha

It's true.

U joints are generally cheap enough, it's the labor that kills you if you have to pay someone for it. I'm sure they charge extra for each F-bomb they know they'll throw.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

ehhh that's easy.

God I loving hate nylon-injected GM ujoints, though. So stupid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

ehhh that's easy.

Toyota did that poo poo on my wife's '79 Celica, too. They were an absolute bear to get out using only a bench vise, albeit a beefy one.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My U-Joints have always looked like this when I've changed them. How else are you supposed to know it's time to change them?

If your back end doesn't go 'womp womp womp womp' on the highway your ujoints are fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

ehhh that's easy.

:psyduck: what the gently caress GMMMM!!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I believe the service manual recommendation for replacing those nylon injected u-joints is to heat the yoke with a torch until the nylon melts out/catches on fire, then press out the caps as normal.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Yep, torch those fuckers out. Real fun when it's a windy day and all you have is some harbor freight MAPP torch

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

ehhh that's easy.

God I loving hate nylon-injected GM ujoints, though.

I have to look this one up.

Glad mine were just bog standard units. Although if it had been a year later they would have been a part readily interchangeable with other makes / models too which would have been easier too.

Just remembered when I was beating the bearing cups out of the flanges at some point the grease nipple popped out of the centre. It took a 12lb sledge and a selection of sockets for drifts to get it out, but it came out. Really not sure what the deal was with all the red rust looking dust though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That used to be your trunnions and needle bearings :v:

rndmnmbr posted:

I believe the service manual recommendation for replacing those nylon injected u-joints is to heat the yoke with a torch until the nylon melts out/catches on fire, then press out the caps as normal.

Yup, that's what I did. Not heating them before removal is asking to bend the yoke ears.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Friends wife to me - "My Jeep makes a loud noise when I put it in gear. What's wrong with it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNmKf-yeNmY

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

ehhh that's easy.

Torch those fuckers first.

All this U-jointchat brings back fond memories (and a tear in my eye) for all of the various Chrysler products I have experienced through the years.

My first, a '65 Plymouth Fury, taught me when U-joint failure was starting:

1) Accelerate.
2) check the rearview mirror.
3) if everything is soft & fuzzy: time to change the U-joints.

It got so I carried a spare set, a special 5/8" beater socket & ballpeen at all times. I could change those puppies out at the side of the freeway in less than half an hour.

Exhibit:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The day before my stepdad gave me his old F-150, he had the ujoints replaced.

About 5 miles after I got the keys, the truck started shaking violently, then the front yoke snapped and dropped the driveshaft. I got shouted at for "racing", when it happened at 35 mph.

I'm glad it didn't try to do a pole vault. That truck was a rolling mechanical failure in many, many ways, I just wish I'd kept a list of all the ways it left me stranded and how many times it got dragged home by a rope behind the F-150 he bought to replace it. The most amazing failure is the rear main seal - it literally dribbled 60W oil out while running (10w30 was like a sprinkler head), and ran dry several times, but never wound up with worse than a bit of a knock at idle. I'm amazed the engine outlasted the transmission to be honest.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

...but never wound up with worse than a bit of a knock at idle. I'm amazed the engine outlasted the transmission to be honest.

My neighbour's old Holden ute is a mechanical failure in the making. It's been sounding rougher for over a year. Today I heard what I thought was someone messing around with a Hit and miss motor somewhere. Nope. It was the ute. Smoke, missing on at least one cylinder and a wonderful knock, knock, knock. He'd gun it to get it running on all cylinders and it'd settle down to it's antique tractor sounding chug of despair.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

PainterofCrap posted:

Torch those fuckers first.

All this U-jointchat brings back fond memories (and a tear in my eye) for all of the various Chrysler products I have experienced through the years.

My first, a '65 Plymouth Fury, taught me when U-joint failure was starting:

1) Accelerate.
2) check the rearview mirror.
3) if everything is soft & fuzzy: time to change the U-joints.

It got so I carried a spare set, a special 5/8" beater socket & ballpeen at all times. I could change those puppies out at the side of the freeway in less than half an hour.

Exhibit:

My first ride was a '79 Jeep Wagoneer QuadraTrac with a 360. That god-forsaken drivetrain used 6 standard needle bearing U-joints. You want to talk about slop.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The day before my stepdad gave me his old F-150, he had the ujoints replaced.

About 5 miles after I got the keys, the truck started shaking violently, then the front yoke snapped and dropped the driveshaft. I got shouted at for "racing", when it happened at 35 mph.

I'm glad it didn't try to do a pole vault. That truck was a rolling mechanical failure in many, many ways, I just wish I'd kept a list of all the ways it left me stranded and how many times it got dragged home by a rope behind the F-150 he bought to replace it. The most amazing failure is the rear main seal - it literally dribbled 60W oil out while running (10w30 was like a sprinkler head), and ran dry several times, but never wound up with worse than a bit of a knock at idle. I'm amazed the engine outlasted the transmission to be honest.

300 I6?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

My first ride was a '79 Jeep Wagoneer QuadraTrac with a 360. That god-forsaken drivetrain used 6 standard needle bearing U-joints. You want to talk about slop.

Probably less than if it had giubos, at least :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

351M. It wouldn't have been a surprise had it been the I6.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

351M. It wouldn't have been a surprise had it been the I6.

Bravo to the 351 then. I think you could probably replace oil with sand in a 300 and it would just deal.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Bravo to the 351 then. I think you could probably replace oil with sand in a 300 and it would just deal.

My uncle put 300k on that old Ford I-6 without an overhaul at a time where such mileage was unheard of. Those things are unbelievable. I often wonder how one would do with modern fuel delivery and valvetrain.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

About a month ago, my wife comes home with the kids and says, "I hit a pothole (In the dark, at speed, on 75N) and now there's a bad rattle in the rear end of the Mazda." The next day I took it for a spin around the block, heard that, yep, there's a real bad sound coming from the passenger rear, then parked the fucker because I had neither the time, the inclination, nor the place to fix it since there was two feet of snow on the ground and it was -10f.

Yesterday I finally got around to putting it on the jack, and found this bullshit -

She hit that pothole so hard that both ears of the shock mount snapped clean off. The rattling was, of course, the top of the shock rattling around inside the wheel arch. The rust isn't that bad at all, just some surface rust. The mount is otherwise solid. The bolts are gonna be a bitch, though. So now, because we have the worst roads and worst road funding in the country, I have to replace the rear shocks in the Mazda. That's pure Michigan.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That's pure Michigan.

Was not surprised.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

... both ears of the shock mount snapped clean off ... The rust isn't that bad at all, just some surface rust. The mount is otherwise solid. The bolts are gonna be a bitch, though.
Doesn't add up at all.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't have much experience with deep rust, but that doesn't look like just surface rust, man.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

That's totally considered surface rust in Michigan :colbert:

But, yeah. The bolts and nuts are rusty as hell, but as the bolts look to be part of the car, I'm just going to have to clean them up as best I can and replace the nuts with something new. The mount is, I think aluminum and just has that dusty surface corrosion on it. Once I get it off the car I'll be able to see it better, but it looks like it just broke at the ears due to the strain and shock from hitting the pothole. I'm the shadiest of shade-tree mechanics though, so I'm probably wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If those are spotwelded or pressed in studs, just yank em out and put bolts and washers through from the top. Grade 8, please.

If they are MIG welded in, you can still do that, it'll just involve an angle grinder or die grinder and patience instead of 30 seconds with your largest drift punch and hammer.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

kastein posted:

If those are spotwelded or pressed in studs, just yank em out and put bolts and washers through from the top. Grade 8, please.

If they are MIG welded in, you can still do that, it'll just involve an angle grinder or die grinder and patience instead of 30 seconds with your largest drift punch and hammer.

That's a fantastic idea, and I'll likely do that now. And, yeah. I don't gently caress around with bolts. There's a Fastenal right up the street, so I'll hit them up.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

EightBit posted:

I don't have much experience with deep rust, but that doesn't look like just surface rust, man.

That's just surface rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

30 seconds with your largest drift punch and hammer.

"I say old chap, go fetch my largest drift and the four-pound sledge. We're about to perform some rather delicate work." -Kastein's ancestor 18th-19th century.