Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie

zug zug? more like tug tug!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEExCEE

I want an RPG with good writing, an engrossing world, and a fun actiony combat system

saboten

GEExCEE posted:

I want an RPG with good writing, an engrossing world, and a fun actiony combat system

xenoblade isfun

thank u bacalou

tao of lmao

GEExCEE posted:

secret of mana :)

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

GEExCEE posted:

you could try a ys or tales game but the worlds/stories are generally not exactly engrossing.

cuntman.net

GEExCEE posted:

fallout new vegas*

saboten

did anyone play lost odyssey? i played it for ages but i dont feel like i got very far

thank u bacalou

Pro Target

an 'actiony combat system' automatically makes a game not an rpg

Scaly Haylie

GEExCEE posted:

nothing comes to mind, but care to name some actiony RPGs you've liked before?

tao of lmao

saboten posted:

did anyone play lost odyssey? i played it for ages but i dont feel like i got very far

i watched a buddy of mine play a fair amount of it. It's pretty cool and one of the only reasons I'd want a 360

GEExCEE

Pro Target posted:

why

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

wait what the gently caress

Pro Target

because the defining trait of an RPG is that you play a character and that the character's performance is dependent on Character Skill rather than Player Skill

Pro Target

id go so far as to say that in order ot be a 'true' rpg you cant have any realtime combat whatsoever

Scaly Haylie

what do you call the tales games, kingdom hearts, diablo, secret of mana, E.V.O.: search for eden, spike mcfang, crystalis, secret of mana, the elder scrolls, ys, king's field, deus ex, fable, odin sphere

the list goes on!

Pro Target

Lizard Wizard posted:

what do you call the tales games, kingdom hearts, diablo, secret of mana, E.V.O.: search for eden, spike mcfang, crystalis, secret of mana, the elder scrolls, ys, king's field, deus ex, fable, odin sphere

the list goes on!

None of them are true RPGs

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

id go so far as to say that in order ot be a 'true' rpg you cant have any realtime combat whatsoever

you're a 'true' retard

Pro Target

Yeah it makes a lot of sense that your frail wizard who spent 100 years studying books in a library like an idiot is now a master swordsman because you can manipulate a controller properly inr eal life

Pro Target

The games you listed are all 'action rpgs', which are in actuality an entirely different genre

GEExCEE

if it has swords and wizards it.s close enough, for me

Pro Target

have you played souls

GEExCEE

I have dark souls but the controls are all messed up on my computer

ron color
two worlds two

Pro Target

GEExCEE posted:

I have dark souls but the controls are all messed up on my computer

messed up like how

GEExCEE

it's been so long sinbce I.vr tried to play that I dont remember

Pro Target

well if you can make it work i highly recommend it!

ron color
pro target did you ever play shadow tower abyss on ps2.....it's one of three japan region games I've ever tried to play

Pro Target

yeah I played it and also the original shadow tower

Pro Target

abyss is the most accessible kings-field-esque game unless you count eternal ring (which doesnt really have the same atmosphere), despite never having been officially translated

Pro Target

its aesthetically inferior to the original shadow tower though, but you cant really blame it since the original shadow tower is possibly the best game aesthetic ever created

ron color
cool I got abyss as a present for two friends who introduced me to KF, only got to play a little. Someone kept my copy of eternal ring but that's ok, I wish there were more every hit replenishes magic games

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
play fighting games or don't

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

Pomp posted:

play fighting games or don't

dont, generally in my case

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
it is okay to be bad at video games, friends

----------------

Pro Target

theres no reason to not play fighting games

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Pro Target posted:

they're hard and while local communities tend to be chill and cool, the community at large is very lovely and unchill

----------------

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

i always buy one token fighting game for every system i own and then never touch it

tao of lmao

Pomp posted:

it is okay to be bad at video games, friends

it's the only way i know how to play

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

i'm not a fan of games that require me to train my hands at 10x gravity in the hyperbolic time chamber for eighty years before i can make my character do what I want him/her to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

it gives fighting games a pretty big barrier to entry which is not a good thing