Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is the PC version of Rogue particularly hardware demanding? I can run Black Flag with it looking all pretty, so I should be ok, right?

Likely you'll run it better. It seems quite well optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Likely you'll run it better. It seems quite well optimized.

Oh neat, thanks. I'd been putting off buying it, but the positive talk in this thread has changed my mind.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rogue is so great, I don't get the hate for Shay personally.
I'm only up to Sequence 3 right now and his motivation for turning to the dark side seems well warranted.
Getting sent to a temple by his boss to retrieve an artifact only to have it destroy the loving city that it's in and kill hundreds.

The gameplay feels tighter than Black Flag this time around too and the world feels more alive, great having friendly ships on the sea for a change.
It's also wonderful sailing around the Atlantic crushing ice bergs and ramming through ice sheets, the sounds and visuals are just great.

My only REAL gripe at the moment is that it's a little disappointing that they reused shanties, so having irish dudes singing and then having the same guys from Black Flag start singing a song afterwards took me out of it a bit.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Deakul posted:

Getting sent to a temple by his boss to retrieve an artifact only to have it destroy the loving city that it's in and kill hundreds.

Hundreds? Try Up to 100,000.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is the PC version of Rogue particularly hardware demanding? I can run Black Flag with it looking all pretty, so I should be ok, right?

Yeah. Same engine made both games so you're good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress me. :catstare:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Just started playing and holy crap these accents are awful. I mean, at leat Sean in The Saboteur had a comedy Irish accent but Shay... Wow.

Still, stabby murder fun.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Just started playing and holy crap these accents are awful. I mean, at leat Sean in The Saboteur had a comedy Irish accent but Shay... Wow.

Still, stabby murder fun.

Oh yeah, pretty much all of the voice acting is pretty awful too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I mentioned this earlier, but Otso Berg has the worst Finnish accent I have ever heard, in that his VA doesn't even attempt one. "Generic European Villain #587" was apparently good enough. :effort: It's even better when he tries to pronounce actual Finnish words.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

poptart_fairy posted:

Would it be worth finishing Revelations before I tackle Black Flag? Got the latter as a birthday gift but I never tied up Ezio's story - there was so much stuff going on I kind of wandered off and never really picked up the second half of Rev.

One of the things I really, really like about Black Flag is that it feels entirely standalone. It isn't built off the back of the previous games, it shares plot points and features but you don't really need to know anything about the series. It's actually kind of clever the way they gradually introduce things to your oblivious modern-day character. You get the information about Desmond, the Assassins, the precursor race stuff, it's kind of a neat introduction if you want to know what's going on. All the actual Assassin/Precursor stuff comes in fairly late and feels almost secondary to the freedom of pirating your way around. And rather than being an Assassin by blood, you sort of accidentally get caught up in the whole thing and go from there.

Alter Ego posted:

I'm having trouble with one thing. Templars

Yeah. I can see that. I like Rogue, and I'm only about two thirds of the way through it, but I'd like Rogue a lot more if Shay was at least slightly concerned at switching sides and what he's actually doing. Like when you steal the grenade gun and the Templars go "These people have a weapon that fires clouds of poison. I mean, it's only a sleep gas at the moment, but concentrated, it could be lethal. Oh, and we're pretty sure they're going to use it to kill the populace. Could you kill them and destroy their factory for us?" and every part of that should make Shay think "Hey, I used to be one of them, I know how they work, maybe this is all bullshit and I'm being used as a lackey here..." or something. Because that was my first thought, and up to the point where I'm sailing with Captain Cook, the game hasn't given me much reason to think otherwise yet. Especially as the modern day stuff very much reinforces that when the modern day Templars work in the same way, and you get a voice clip where they happily discuss having to kill you and so on. All seems a bit... I dunno.

I get that I haven't played through the whole thing yet, so maybe there's something more that will win me over and make me feel like Shay is a decent character. It might just be because we see Achilles in AC3 and he's clearly not some destructive megalomaniac, and throughout the series we've been shackled to the Assassins for so long that their meagre attempts at "Hey, we kill people, maybe we're not the good guys? What if we're the baddies!?" bit is worn way too thin by now. Even though the entire gimmick of this game is "Hey you're a Templar now", it doesn't really feel like you have much of a purpose, it'd be nice to have a solid reason to be a Templar. I get that the sites from the Manuscript are hugely destructive, sure, but even if you decide against the "Guys, we're meddling with something far beyond our control or understanding here" route in favour of "gently caress YOU DAD I WON'T TAKE YOUR CRAP ANYMORE I'M LEAVING", it still doesn't feel like you need to be a Templar. They do very little to win you over, besides picking up your carcass and letting you sleep off the death-hangover you were in. Plus, one of the things that annoys me more than his character is his accent and his delivery, something about it is just off. He sounds kinda disinterested in whatever he's doing, a dull one-note kinda thing. And then they put him alongside that Gist guy, he's got an overdramatic, theatrical kind of voice, and it is incredibly grating to put the two together. Also, what the gently caress kind of accent is that meant to be anyway?

I'd actually like to see what people who haven't played other AC games think of Shay and the plot of Rogue. At this point, my list of favoured characters has Shay somewhere just below the rotting corpse of Desmond. Still a very good game, though.

And man, that is a lot of words about a video game. I think I may have a problem.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is that me or there is no Rogue app like there was a Black Flag one? I want to do the fleet missions during my commute, not my real gaming time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It sounds like the writers still want the Templars to be moustache-twirling villains, and the Assassins the noble libertariansy loving heroes.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Doc Morbid posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but Otso Berg has the worst Finnish accent I have ever heard, in that his VA doesn't even attempt one. "Generic European Villain #587" was apparently good enough. :effort: It's even better when he tries to pronounce actual Finnish words.

It was also mildly amusing how, in the backstory, he became a mercenary in order to afford treatments for his daughter's cystic fibrosis. Pretty sure Finland has universal health care like other civilised countries.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

It was also mildly amusing how, in the backstory, he became a mercenary in order to afford treatments for his daughter's cystic fibrosis. Pretty sure Finland has universal health care like other civilised countries.
Oh yeah, that was a thing in the plot too. I was too busy laughing at his mispronunciation of his daughter's name to even notice. Yeah, we definitely do have universal health care over here so that doesn't make any sense at all unless things are different in the world of Assassin's Creed.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

TheDarkFlame posted:

And then they put him alongside that Gist guy, he's got an overdramatic, theatrical kind of voice, and it is incredibly grating to put the two together.

Gist sounds so over the top and insincere that I kept waiting for him to screw Shay over, but I guess it's just bad acting or a bizarre acting choice. Or maybe they were trying to make him sound like a desperate suck-up and Shay just never noticed.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh yeah, that was a thing in the plot too. I was too busy laughing at his mispronunciation of his daughter's name to even notice. Yeah, we definitely do have universal health care over here so that doesn't make any sense at all unless things are different in the world of Assassin's Creed.

I thought it wasn't about getting money for the medicine, but that it was super-special newly developed Abstergo medicine that he couldn't have obtained otherwise.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ymgve posted:

I thought it wasn't about getting money for the medicine, but that it was super-special newly developed Abstergo medicine that he couldn't have obtained otherwise.

Yeah, the Abstergo guy says "Hey, we can straight up miracle cure your daughter if you work for us, cool?"

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

effervescible posted:

Gist sounds so over the top and insincere that I kept waiting for him to screw Shay over, but I guess it's just bad acting or a bizarre acting choice. Or maybe they were trying to make him sound like a desperate suck-up and Shay just never noticed.

It's fuckin Sardo from Are You Afraid of the Dark? Game owns

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

The way I remember it, 1 had supplemental bits about catastrophic climate change, Americans fleeing the border south to Mexico, botched trials with something called "new fluoride" and all sorts of poo poo to foreshadow the world spinning out of control as 2012 approached. That's all fallen by the wayside as the Mayan apocalypse came and went, but now that it's been brought up it amuses me to imagine that someone remembered all that and decided the Templars sabotaging Finland's universal healthcare system for shits and giggles was part of it. :v:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I spent some time in Ireland and Shay's "accent" is hilariously half-assed. I don't know whether to blame the script (either dialogue or general structure), the cast, or those directing the cast - but everything was clearly done on a much smaller budget than Black Flag got.

I also didn't like how I couldn't just go and loving buy some wood and metal and materials. I bought up and renovated a ton of land early in the game, so within five hours I had ALL the money but nothing to spend it on. The economy is always whacked out with every AC game, but Rogue has so much going on that its easy to get lost in it.

The entire story hinges almost entirely on Achilles being the worst manager ever. If you can buy him being so objectively terrible at everything, than you can buy everything that happens from that point. But oof.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm 10 hours in to AC:B and I gotta say, this game is amazing. 2 is better than 1 more than B is better than 2, but it's close; I love being able to just sic my posse of blindly loyal assassins onto literally anyone I don't like. I can sit on a bench and watch as their highly guarded VIP gets wrecked as if Altair himself had just materialized in that hay stack. Combo kills own, holding down attack for multi kill QTEs own, Rome owns, game owns, gonna play more AC:B

I've been enjoying occasionally just walking through the city and going where I fancy, disregarding the current memory completely. I was disappointed how transparent this sort of thing was in the first game, and 2 did a lot of things to make just wandering around more fun; Brotherhood blows both out of the water frankly; there's just so much loving poo poo to do, and if all else fails I can literally just have my assassins kill every single guard i pass, and send them off to loving constantinople to kill a templar and do cool simultaneous kills with my henchmen and taunt big guards before disarming them and putting their own axe in their face and and and :3:

My favorite thing to do so far is to use poison on any Officials I find, and then just walk off. The pistola AND throwing knives are both in better places this time around too. Throwing knives still don't ohko tougher guards like they would in the original (I suspect those were broken as gently caress) but I can throw up to 3 at different guys now which is a pretty nice ranged multi take down option. The pistol working with your medium weapon is sick as hell and it locks on twice as fast too. Smoke bombs make excellent tools for dealing with the congestion you find in a Borgia tower zone; what's the purpose of having a dagger? I see no practical use between that and a hidden blade, or a rapier. Is it that one's easier to counter with or something?

Is this the peak AC game or does it only get better with 3, Revelations, or Black Flag? I want to know if this gets better or to just enjoy my first playthrough while it happens.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 13, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

NTT posted:

Is this the peak AC game or does it only get better with 3, Revelations, or Black Flag? I want to know if this gets better or to just enjoy my first playthrough while it happens.

It'll get worse with 3. Revelations is more of the same, though. Istanbul is fantastic and there are new additions - you'll like Rev. So far, I would say Black Flag is peak AC as it takes what works but still includes new and interesting game elements while having good writing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Revelations is worse but it's still cool and finishes the Ezio trilogy nicely. Many people were disappointed with it because it's no jump in quality just a sequel in a new (worse) city and everything new it brings to the table isn't particularly great and was dropped from AC games afterwards. There's also the series fatigue aspect setting in if you play the games one after another.

AC: 3 is bland, boring and features the worst protagonist of the series, you should skip it. It was basically Ubisoft switching to a new engine and the mechanics are half-assed. Half of the game is a tutorial and the environments suck. The only downside of skipping it is that you won't see the conclusion of the modern-day plot that started with AC1 if you're into that. Also Ubi basically hasn't touched the modern-day plot in any major way since this game so it's like the last chance to really experience it.

AC: 4 owns hard though and introduces sea environments, it's basically a new take on Pirates! with an AC twist. It's the best AC game since Brotherhood.

AC: Rogue is Black Flag 1.5 improved and expanded upon so if you enjoy AC: 4 this will be more of it.

AC: Unity is another switch to a new graphical engine and falls into the same traps that AC: 3 did. It's not as terrible though and may be even enjoyable to an extent. It's just fumbled in many aspects and the good ideas don't outweight the bad ones.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 13, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Brotherhood really was the peak of the series. Black Flag is fun but it's no Pirates! Gold.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the Abstergo guy says "Hey, we can straight up miracle cure your daughter if you work for us, cool?"
I think he became a mercenary first and did that for a while to earn more money to buy a new car afford his daughter's treatments, and then Vidic showed up with his miracle cure stuff.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Earlier, someone expressed a desire for a Viking-themed Black Flag-style pirate game. I suspect they won't do pre-gunpowder ship combat owing to it lacking the requisite oomph without cannons to fire. However it gave me an idea for a potentially interesting AC scenario: Combine Norsemen with the Crusade-era Mediterranean by setting it during the "Norwegian Crusade". The protagonist would be part of king Sigurd's fleet, the first part of the game would have you strike at the "Saracens" in Portugal, then when you reach Sicily (a fairly interesting place to visit in this time period) you get involved with the Assassins and do missions for them in various location, possibly including Constantinople (still among the largest and most powerful cities at the time) and Jerusalem (when it was the capital of the Kingdom of Jerusalem).

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I think he became a mercenary first and did that for a while to earn more money to buy a new car afford his daughter's treatments, and then Vidic showed up with his miracle cure stuff.

Having just heard the relevant audio file in-game I can confirm that this is how it went down. It's referred to as him becoming a merc to afford "better" treatment for his daughter, so maybe she was being looked after by the Finnish NHS equivalent and he wanted to go private, then Vidic shows up with his wonder pills.

As to Shay's awful voice actor, IMDb only lists him working on this and a short film. Good job hiring people who can do accents Ubisoft.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

It's fuckin Sardo from Are You Afraid of the Dark? Game owns

Gist actually sounds like Krieger from Archer to me, so it's extra hilarious

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I enjoyed Brotherhood, but I'm always mystified and the massive praise it gets. It's a good game, but I liked AC2 better in basically every way but the weapons. Brotherhood is definitely better when it comes to methods of murder.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I still miss the Subject 16 puzzles from AC2 and AC:B :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just got to St.John's Newfoundland in Rogue and I was going to say that it seems kinda ridiculous in that it looks like an arctic mining town clinging to a cliff...then I looked up drawings of St John's around the early 1800's and Rogue's (1780-1790) representation might be somewhat accurate. :shrug:

Still think the southern half of Newfoundland, and New Brunswick seems too icy. Its "big news" when an iceberg is seen around St.Johns...or it was a few years ago. Everyone was up in arms that it was a sign of climate change.

macnbc posted:

I still miss the Subject 16 puzzles from AC2 and AC:B :(

Me too man, me too.

The "hacking" puzzles in AC4 and Rogue are a nice nod, but the lore revealed is nowhere near as satisfying (I do like the nudge-nudge-wink-wink aspect of AC4's modern lore, not far enough into Rogue).

Revelations would have been a PERFECT game for more puzzles, but I guess they went overboard with the lore "revelations" in 2 and Bro (cause it wasn't going to be a yearly franchise...yet) and went headfirst in filling out the lore up to the modern era. I guess they didn't want to set settings and era's in stone in the lore.

Still bummed that the Washington-Apple revelation got relegated to DLC. At least they seem to be following through on the Napoleon Apple connection. Come-on Napoleonic Wars sequel!

FAKE EDIT: I kinda liked the jumping FPS puzzles in Revelations, in how they were an abstract breakdown of Desmond's life. I even liked the "Lost Archive" DLC, I just wish it was actually integrated into the game rather than being a menu option. Maybe it was supposed to be? The audio files were found waaay before the DLC was announced and they never did explain what those unused black pillars that get rebuilt at the end of AC:Rev on Animus Island were for.

Man...I'd love the old AC-creed writer spill his guts on where he wanted the series to go story and setting wise before they turned it into a yearly franchise.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 13, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Revelations is worse but it's still cool and finishes the Ezio trilogy nicely. Many people were disappointed with it because it's no jump in quality just a sequel in a new (worse) city and everything new it brings to the table isn't particularly great and was dropped from AC games afterwards. There's also the series fatigue aspect setting in if you play the games one after another.

AC: 3 is bland, boring and features the worst protagonist of the series, you should skip it. It was basically Ubisoft switching to a new engine and the mechanics are half-assed. Half of the game is a tutorial and the environments suck. The only downside of skipping it is that you won't see the conclusion of the modern-day plot that started with AC1 if you're into that. Also Ubi basically hasn't touched the modern-day plot in any major way since this game so it's like the last chance to really experience it.

AC: 4 owns hard though and introduces sea environments, it's basically a new take on Pirates! with an AC twist. It's the best AC game since Brotherhood.

AC: Rogue is Black Flag 1.5 improved and expanded upon so if you enjoy AC: 4 this will be more of it.

AC: Unity is another switch to a new graphical engine and falls into the same traps that AC: 3 did. It's not as terrible though and may be even enjoyable to an extent. It's just fumbled in many aspects and the good ideas don't outweight the bad ones.

I hesitate calling Black Flag the best of the series since the main story gameplay was loving awful.
So many god damned tailing and eavesdropping missions that I had to take month long breaks in between sequences.

I had a lot of fun in between memories and sequences though, I will give it that.
Just sailing around, fighting ships and forts, exploring islands, diving into wrecks, climbing ancient mayan structures(!!!! i wish they'd have given us more pyramids and temples to explore, I thought tomb raiding was sorely missed... the final act with the Observatory and all the platforming was so much fun for me)

gently caress the main story missions though, gently caress them hard.

As it stands, of the Kenway trilogy, I'm digging Rogue a lot since it takes away the annoyances and expands upon everything else AC4 had to offer, though they might have removed a couple things but I don't miss them so far.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

How in the heck do you ambush gang leaders? The only time I've been able to do it is from corner cover, but that's not always possible. If you hide in any other kind of sneaking spot when they come past they do some messed up super speed dash straight into it, pushing you out, then their attacks seem to take priority over yours now that they've spotted you.

Edit: gently caress this stealth bonus, I'm shooting everyone.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 13, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Davoren posted:

How in the heck do you ambush gang leaders? The only time I've been able to do it is from corner cover, but that's not always possible. If you hide in any other kind of sneaking spot when they come past they do some messed up super speed dash straight into it, pushing you out, then their attacks seem to take priority over yours now that they've spotted you.

Yeah, their spotting you is definitely glitchy. I had the same thing, with them "spotting" me despite no line of sight. If you're not opposed to ranged kills, you might find a better vantage point and cap then from a distance.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The gang leaders are total bastards. Use yer gadgets, but also don't be afraid to just straight up take them down with a bit of blunt force. My general rule was that I didn't restart if the leader saw me, only if the whole base was alerted.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If nothing else, at least I know what it feels like to be an NPC in an Assassins Creed game now.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm curious if they ever got around to making that purse snapper stop appearing every five seconds in Unity, of all the things that was actually what made me stop playing

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So in Black Flag is was worth putting off exploring and sandboxy pirating stuff until you got the diving bell. Is there a similar point for Rogue? I keep seeing "you must complete more of the main story to access this activity" or whatever and I'm not quite sure what's triggering it, it seems to happen randomly. So is there a point in the story in Rogue that I need to power through to before I get into the actual meat of the game?

Edit: I also really like how double rope dart kills no longer consumes a rope dart. They are so satisfying to do but rope darts are rare/expensive/a huge pain in the fuckin rear end to craft one at a time

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 14, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Deakul posted:

Rogue is so great, I don't get the hate for Shay personally.
I'm only up to Sequence 3 right now and his motivation for turning to the dark side seems well warranted.

Meh, i think it's missing something and feels far too sudden. Like, there's mention of other cities being levelled by this poo poo, but we don't really see anything about that. Shay doesn't ever really have any dialogue or heavy misgivings about using the precursor tech and is like super keen to grab the tech immediately before it levels Lisbon. then the next scene is him super angry at Achilles for daring to use this dangerous poo poo even though he seemed to have no strong issue with it before it. He didn't even start with a "did you know this was happening" line. He's just immediately super pissed at him and the assassins.

Then there's no furher discussion, no musing about the whole thing, he's just sitting by a fire and goes "welp, i gotta do what needs to be done", implying that he'll have to kill Achilles if necessary.

It really needed a few more missions/cutscenes to show Shay's descent into his decision to betray..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kin posted:

Shay doesn't ever really have any dialogue or heavy misgivings about using the precursor tech and is like super keen to grab the tech immediately before it levels Lisbon.

In fact Achilles explicitly warns him to be cautious. Sounds to me like Shay is deflecting his own guilt on Achilles like a teenager.

Speaking of, it's weird that it's the first game (except 1) where the protagonist does not have a database entry. I wanted to check his actual age and had to go to the wikia.

• Locked thread