Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wooger posted:

They give them to google devs internally, and put Ubuntu on most of them I suspect. Once you're using it for programming, compilation on a real OS, it makes sense.

Last I heard Linus Torvalds had extolled the virtues of one, if just for the screen resolution.

Also the aspect ratio of the screen. Stuff with higher resolutions out there now, but nothing with the same aspect ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the resolution/aspect ratio is why I want this. I'll probably get it, my old vaio Z is really old now. Losing 60 gigs shouldn't be an issue either, I have decent internet everywhere now so.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I'd really appreciate some help with picking a laptop. I'm in that weird little group where buying a (mid-range maybe? high range? idk) "gaming laptop" may be my only option as far as playing games goes. I'd desperately prefer a gaming desktop, but I'm not going to be in one place until about a year from now, maybe a bit more. Basically, I need to move around every 3 months - and even then I often spend half the week somewhere and half the week somewhere else- please loving shoot me.

So I'm looking for a laptop that can play games from the past few years at decent speeds/resolution. I might want to replay Skyrim - I beat it on the PS3, but I want to try out the mod that lets you murder children. I might want to play GTA4 / 5 (when it comes out, I guess), LA Noire, other newfangled games. Dragon Age. Civ 5. Europa Universalis IV. Total War : Splooge 14. I don't know, I haven't been able to play new PC games for a few years - really since Mass Effect 3.

My current laptop, which has somehow survived unbelievable abuse since 2009 is a Dell Studio 1555, 17" monster weight. I'm used to lugging around what feels like a 60lb concrete slab.

Is there any hope for me?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is always hope. The question is, what is your price range?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

go3 posted:

There is always hope. The question is, what is your price range?

Oh - right. I could drop 1000, maybe a bit more - is that realistic price for the kind of device I'm looking for?

I'd prefer not to go above 1300

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 12, 2015

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

Oh - right. I could drop 1000, maybe a bit more - is that realistic price for the kind of device I'm looking for?

I'd prefer not to go above 1300

You're looking for the Lenovo Y50 (maybe Y70?), so yes! Check it out on Lenovo's site.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Sir Pukesalot posted:

You're looking for the Lenovo Y50 (maybe Y70?), so yes! Check it out on Lenovo's site.

Use the links for Lenovo that're in the OP. First link didn't work for me but the second did and I was getting much cheaper prices for what I was looking at.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
That thing looks sweet! Thanks.

Not sure which I should pick - there is a difference in price between the one that comes with a 1TB hd + 8b SSHD or the 256/512gb SSHD. It's about $1200 vs. $1400 since I assume I want the one with the 4gb video card. Looks like nobody uses optical drives anymore.

I've never owned a computer with a SSD before - is this something I should really invest in? I'm worried I'd still need some sort of external HD for all of my files if I was stuck with 512gb.

e: thanks - but those links seem to require me to prove my Barnes & Noble credentials somehow

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Whats the quality of Gigabyte laptops like?

I see them sold everywhere, but I never see anyone use one. That really should indicate their quality I know, but I'm pretty sure they make ok video cards and whatnot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

That thing looks sweet! Thanks.

Not sure which I should pick - there is a difference in price between the one that comes with a 1TB hd + 8b SSHD or the 256/512gb SSHD. It's about $1200 vs. $1400 since I assume I want the one with the 4gb video card. Looks like nobody uses optical drives anymore.

I've never owned a computer with a SSD before - is this something I should really invest in? I'm worried I'd still need some sort of external HD for all of my files if I was stuck with 512gb.

e: thanks - but those links seem to require me to prove my Barnes & Noble credentials somehow

Yes you want an SSD.

Someone will tell you how to fix the Barnes and Noble thing. I have no clue, can't use it myself being in Canada.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Alienware 15, MSI GE62 and the Clevo/Sager p650 can be had for around $1300, but at that price you'll be missing out an SSD. You will get vastly superior graphics though. You can add an M.2 format drive later on though and keep the large capacity HDD in them for storage as well if you desire.

Someone on here just got the Sager and said the fans are pretty noisy though. If you do go the Y50 route the 4GB video memory is probably not terribly important, it's overkill for the Lenovo's midrange GPU. Do get one with the IPS display.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 13, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Delthalaz posted:

You can look at laptops that allow you to add an msata aftermarket ssd next to the hdd or laptops with a dvd drive that can be replaced with a caddy so you can have both a regular hdd and a regular sata (again -aftermarket) ssd.

The Y50 is neither.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks a lot better than the Samsung version. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 looks a lot better than the Samsung version. Thanks for the recommendation.

I love my OG Toshiba Chromebook. I throw it in a bag every weekend for work and it's all dinged up, but I don't care. Then I leave it on and plugged in all day and make it fold as fast as its little celeron can.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

SouthLAnd posted:

Alienware 15, MSI GE62 and the Clevo/Sager p650 can be had for around $1300, but at that price you'll be missing out an SSD. You will get vastly superior graphics though. You can add an M.2 format drive later on though and keep the large capacity HDD in them for storage as well if you desire.

Someone on here just got the Sager and said the fans are pretty noisy though. If you do go the Y50 route the 4GB video memory is probably not terribly important, it's overkill for the Lenovo's midrange GPU. Do get one with the IPS display.

Aaah, now I'm confused. The 4GB isn't important? Idk this is all so hard. I'm inclined not to buy an Alienware because of its historical reputation as a ripoff. What's so great about a Clevo/Sager then?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

What's so great about a Clevo/Sager then?

Generic laptop case, huge customization options regarding high quality hardware (how much hdd space do you need, type of screen, processor, discrete graphics card that you choose how high-end to go on, etc). Basically the inverse of alienware in that you're paying for the actual functionality and getting no glitz and glam instead of the other way around. I'm planning on getting a high-end sager in a bit, because I am about to be travelling a lot and I recognize that really I will not be happy unless I have basically a full-on desktop replacement. As a result I will be spending more than I would like on it when I do bite the bullet. :smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm two and a half years into my Sager/Clevo NP9150 and it was worth every bit of the nearly $1700 I paid

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Delthalaz posted:

Aaah, now I'm confused. The 4GB isn't important? Idk this is all so hard. I'm inclined not to buy an Alienware because of its historical reputation as a ripoff. What's so great about a Clevo/Sager then?

I didn't get a Sager but they looked good to me. My problem was I couldn't decide on non-customized laptops. I looked at one place with Sager models and there was just so many, it drove me away because there'd be no way I could figure out what to get. There was always at least one thing on them that would push me away.

Based on the games you said you wanted to play and given your budget, I think you could get by with 2GB. That should help you be able to get something with a SSD. My laptop came yesterday and it was my first experience with SSD. Get one, it's worth it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

surc posted:

Generic laptop case, huge customization options regarding high quality hardware (how much hdd space do you need, type of screen, processor, discrete graphics card that you choose how high-end to go on, etc). Basically the inverse of alienware in that you're paying for the actual functionality and getting no glitz and glam instead of the other way around.

Didn't Sager used to make Alienware's hardware back in the day? And then Alienware spruced up the cases.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Alienwares used to be Clevos with spruced up cases. Sagers are also Clevos.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Just went through the "xoticpc" website. When I modified the Sager NP8671 (Clevo P670SE) I somehow ended up with a $1688 total not including an SSD with the only modification being 16 gigs of RAM. Hmm, that is a bit much.

Chemosh: what laptop did you just purchase?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So how's that whole 'ultrabook with an external graphics card for gaming' concept they keep promising us is about to be viable coming along?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MikeJF posted:

So how's that whole 'ultrabook with an external graphics card for gaming' concept they keep promising us is about to be viable coming along?

It's not.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Its right behind cold fusion on the list of 'Things about to happen!'

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You can already get the adapters but they're janky and require a PCIe connector on the laptop which is probably going to have 4 or fewer lanes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Delthalaz posted:

Just went through the "xoticpc" website. When I modified the Sager NP8671 (Clevo P670SE) I somehow ended up with a $1688 total not including an SSD with the only modification being 16 gigs of RAM. Hmm, that is a bit much.

Chemosh: what laptop did you just purchase?

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00NWE9RPA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was originally looking to spend 1500 but I was more flexible since amazon had 1 year no interest for a year and I know I can pay it off before then. My only gripe is that it came with a blu-ray drive but no software for playing them. The battery life isn't great but I'm usually near an outlet anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. I play similar games as you and this is overkill for them but at least it'll last me a lot longer than other laptops I've had. On the other hand, I'll end up using this more for games than my desktop since it's just so much faster.

For one around $1,000, I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/GL551JM-EH74-GeForce-GTX860M-Optimus-Technology/dp/B00OBA5AMI/ref=zg_bs_565108_29 It doesn't have an IPS monitor but it seemed to have the memory/graphics/ssd that I was looking for. It was also a 15", which is what I was originally looking for.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

What do you guys think of the placement of the arrow keys on the Lenovo Y50? I like that the keys are bigger than a lot of notebooks I've seen, but they're kinda smushed in there. Has anyone had issues finding them blindly during use?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

marjorie posted:

What do you guys think of the placement of the arrow keys on the Lenovo Y50? I like that the keys are bigger than a lot of notebooks I've seen, but they're kinda smushed in there. Has anyone had issues finding them blindly during use?
It hasn't bothered me at all, and I use arrow keys a lot. I do find the home/end/pgup/pgdn key locations to be poo poo though, and end up using the numeric keypad for those instead (I don't use numpads for numbers anyway).

marjorie
May 4, 2014

roomforthetuna posted:

It hasn't bothered me at all, and I use arrow keys a lot. I do find the home/end/pgup/pgdn key locations to be poo poo though, and end up using the numeric keypad for those instead (I don't use numpads for numbers anyway).

Good to know. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this, but I can't decide between two configurations. One of the differences is that one model has a "WIFI AC Wireless (2x2)" card, while the other had a 3160 card. I'm not really sure to which model of wifi card the first configuration is referring (so it's tough to research). Do you know which one you have and if you've had any issues with it? Unfortunately, my router is located on the opposite side of the house from the place where the laptop will typically reside, but my circa 2010 laptop has no problem getting a good signal.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hey guys. I've been lurking the thread for awhile with an occasional post here or there.

Looking for a chromebook. Just want something for social media/web browsing/YouTube.

I seen the acer c720 mentioned a few times and was wondering the consensus on that.

What kind of video quality can i assume it will have for both streaming and off of an sd card? I dont need 1080 or whatever, just preferably YouTube at 480 or 720 or whatever with minimal stutter if thats all i have running.

Also, can you torrent from a chromebook?

Also, i keep seeing a 200 price point mentioned for it but im not seeing it for that on amazon or newegg, tho, admittedly, I've only given a cursory glance before asking here

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Slickdeals has an EPP link up for Lenovo which gives 35% off T series. You can get a T450 for like 483 if you delete the camera and cache ssd

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's already dead.
Using a different browser brought the deal back for me. Lenovo's site is very strange.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 14, 2015

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

chemosh6969 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DH71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00NWE9RPA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was originally looking to spend 1500 but I was more flexible since amazon had 1 year no interest for a year and I know I can pay it off before then. My only gripe is that it came with a blu-ray drive but no software for playing them. The battery life isn't great but I'm usually near an outlet anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue. I play similar games as you and this is overkill for them but at least it'll last me a lot longer than other laptops I've had. On the other hand, I'll end up using this more for games than my desktop since it's just so much faster.

For one around $1,000, I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/GL551JM-EH74-GeForce-GTX860M-Optimus-Technology/dp/B00OBA5AMI/ref=zg_bs_565108_29 It doesn't have an IPS monitor but it seemed to have the memory/graphics/ssd that I was looking for. It was also a 15", which is what I was originally looking for.

Thanks. Yeah, the one you bought is definitely out of my price range but it sounds beautiful. I'm pretty sure I want a 17 inch as that's what I'm used to and I don't care about lugging around a monster. Is there an equivalent ROG that's 17"? I'm also not sure re: a comparison with the Y50 - are they very different?

I appreciate the advice, all.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

marjorie posted:

Good to know. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this, but I can't decide between two configurations. One of the differences is that one model has a "WIFI AC Wireless (2x2)" card, while the other had a 3160 card. I'm not really sure to which model of wifi card the first configuration is referring (so it's tough to research). Do you know which one you have and if you've had any issues with it? Unfortunately, my router is located on the opposite side of the house from the place where the laptop will typically reside, but my circa 2010 laptop has no problem getting a good signal.
Device manager says I have the 3160, and I get a full-bars signal from a medium-old access point running a Tomato firmware through ~25 feet, a mirror, and a wall.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fetus Tree posted:

Also, i keep seeing a 200 price point mentioned for it but im not seeing it for that on amazon or newegg, tho, admittedly, I've only given a cursory glance before asking here

Check the microsoft store, Asus x205, minus office 365 subscription

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I'm kind of interested in one of those Winbook tablets to mess around with. Any red flags on that? Mainly would use it for Netflix and ebooks. I know it doesn't have a digitizer, but if Onenote would work decently enough with a random capacitive stylus I'd use that too.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hadlock posted:

Check the microsoft store, Asus x205, minus office 365 subscription

Checking that out now, is it what it seems? A budget 8.1 system? Which is totally cool and honestly preferred

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah for $200 the screen, keyboard and trackpad are suprisingly nice. It's still a $200 laptop but it's the nicest one I've seen in person. Better than a lot of the $399 clunkers I've seen at Best Buy. This was designed as Asus' follow up to the Eee PC to retake command of the low end laptop market, they did a good job. There's another guy here who prefers the HP Stream 11 but it's $250, and has a higher spec processor. Both will browse facebook and stream youtube though.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

roomforthetuna posted:

Device manager says I have the 3160, and I get a full-bars signal from a medium-old access point running a Tomato firmware through ~25 feet, a mirror, and a wall.

Excellent, thanks for checking! With the B&N discount, I'm looking at $890 for an IPS display, 860M GPU, 8 GB RAM, and an external optical drive thrown in (there's no way to take it out of the configuration, but it should be handy anyway). I'll get an SSD later (maybe use an old M25 from my desktop to tide me over). Don't think it'd be worth the extra $140 for twice the RAM and the 960M, given my light gaming plans - would rather put that towards a decently-sized EVO SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Checking that out now, is it what it seems? A budget 8.1 system? Which is totally cool and honestly preferred

Microsoft offers Windows for extremely low cost to manufacturers if they brand the laptop as coming with "Windows 8.1 with Bing". That's how they're able to sell them so cheap.

Actual licensing cost is a secret but it's been speculated it's actually free.