Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Ruh roh, it's that time again

quote:

At the hearing Wednesday Martinez, the former state House Speaker, said "rape is defined in many ways and some of it is just drunken college sex." His remarks were concerning a bill that would remove parental rights for rapists, according to The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Hahahawaitaminute a democrat said this my political worldview is shattered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Isn't the joke that congress does suspend elections for 2 year periods already?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Ruh roh, it's that time again

Hahahawaitaminute a democrat said this my political worldview is shattered

At least he has a better excuse than most Republicans:

quote:

Martinez also said that Republicans who criticized him for saying that rape can be "just drunken sex" left out that he said the phrase "without the ability to consent," according to the Santa Fe New Mexican.

The lawmaker cannot be heard saying "without the ability to consent" in footage of the hearing, however (it starts at the 54:00 mark).

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Rudy Giuliani thinks Obama should be more like Bill Cosby

I saw this on Twitter and figured the headline was an eye roller, but nope, catch the quotes from hizzonor. Obama needs to be more like that honorable and forthright man Bill Cosby, and also Obama is the blame for every crime committed by a black person ever (also there are way more crimes committed by blacks that you know, Obama is hiding black criminality so he can ignore it)

This guy... Wow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

(and I'd bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets this is the case)
Toby was so boss.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was a followup article on Vox the next day that I think was a good response:

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/3/8120965/american-government-problems

Basically, "if trends continue," the executive is just going to accrete more and more power over time until we basically get to a system of elected dictators. Then there will be a major crisis and one of those dictators will suspend elections, and welp

We've had a good run, 200+ years
This is why I've been reading about Nazi Germany, totalitarianism, and fascism lately. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

site fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 12, 2015

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There are plenty of legitimate and substantial things to attack Republicans on instead of this stupid bullshit. Harping on it makes the accusers look worse than Graham.

This is precisely the kinds of attacks right wing pundits engage in all the time. Hitting The Republicans on these gaffes keeps them on the defensive, not advocating their dumb policies. And I think at this point we can all agree that a sober discussion of the failing of Republican policy fails to strike a spark.

zoux posted:

OK, do you think that Lindsey Graham, who has been in congress for 20 years, was seriously advocating using the military to keep the Congress in session to restore military cuts or was he using humor or hyperbole?

Does it matter? If Obama made a joke about using the military in that way or dismissed 50% of disability claimants as moochers, you can be sure it'd be seized by the Republicans. Just like the 47% gaffe by Romney or the "legitimate rape" comment, the Dems need to use these comments for all they're worth - without looking like they are, of course.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Things getting fiesty in South Carolina

http://www.wistv.com/story/28399640/harsh-political-words-little-progress-made-on-budget

quote:

Even before the dinner break, House Minority Leader Todd Rutherford went on the attack against Gov. Nikki Haley, who has actively campaigned against the bonds package.

"Gov. Haley is a hypocrite," Rutherford said in a statement. "Did she forget that she supported borrowing money for Boeing in 2010? Gov. Haley is a selfish, vindictive narcissist who is more concerned about her own political ambitions than the state of South Carolina. It's time for her to back off and let us do our jobs."

Not long after Rutherford released his statement, Haley Press Secretary Chaney Adams responded.

"Todd Rutherford's hate speech is just a mask for the bankruptcy of his ideas," Adams said. "Gov. Haley will not support putting the state into debt in order to fund legislators' spending wish list."

Adams comments also drew fire, not from Rutherford, but from Tyler Jones of the House Democratic Caucus.

"Hate speech definition: speech that attacks, threatens, or insults a person or group on the basis of national origin, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability," Jones said. "Hate speech is what Gov. Haley's supporters wrote on her Facebook page about the President. Leader Rutherford merely told the truth."

In case you missed the facebook story, last week Haley committed the mortal sin of shaking hands with Obama when he visited the state for the first time since 2008 and things got racist

http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/03/10/nikki-haleys-facebook-page-blows-barack-obama-hate/

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Fried Chicken posted:

Rudy Giuliani thinks Obama should be more like Bill Cosby

I saw this on Twitter and figured the headline was an eye roller, but nope, catch the quotes from hizzonor. Obama needs to be more like that honorable and forthright man Bill Cosby, and also Obama is the blame for every crime committed by a black person ever (also there are way more crimes committed by blacks that you know, Obama is hiding black criminality so he can ignore it)

This guy... Wow.

I think Bill Kristol and Rudy Giuliani and Dick Morris are all in some kind of hosed UP race to say the most wrong thing possible, and I think Giuliani may have just kicked the poo poo out of all of them. My imagination can't even put together a more wrong headline than that. Like, savor the fact that he's Rudy fuckin Giuliani, and he's scolding Obama, but he's completely just... Bill Cosby is a fuckin rapist, this isn't 1999... I think I've had enough internet for today.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Basically, "if trends continue," the executive is just going to accrete more and more power over time until we basically get to a system of elected dictators. Then there will be a major crisis and one of those dictators will suspend elections, and welp

According to Plato:

Aristocracy
     v
Timocracy
     v
Oligarchy
     v
Democracy <-- You are here
     v
Tyranny

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of Bill Kristol, he's now saying that he only "advised" on the Iran letter in response to criticism that he drafted it.

(He totally did write it.)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There's pretty wide freedom given to reservists. The thrust of the regulations is to prohibit the appearance of that the service itself is taking a position on a political manner.

Another notable reservist:

Colonel Lindsey Graham

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

CaptainCarrot posted:

Stupid Vermont Congresscritter, addressing an issue important to many of his constituents. gently caress off, sole remaining Watergate baby!

:thejoke:

That O'Malley thing is legit btw. I should Storify it

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Quidam Viator posted:

I think Bill Kristol and Rudy Giuliani and Dick Morris are all in some kind of hosed UP race to say the most wrong thing possible, and I think Giuliani may have just kicked the poo poo out of all of them. My imagination can't even put together a more wrong headline than that. Like, savor the fact that he's Rudy fuckin Giuliani, and he's scolding Obama, but he's completely just... Bill Cosby is a fuckin rapist, this isn't 1999... I think I've had enough internet for today.
Before we found out he was a serial rapist, Bill Cosby was known by conservatives as "One of the good ones" because he gave a speech at an NAACP event about how black people need to stop calling themselves victims and stop wearing their clothes all wrong. Conservatives circulated the speech to show that they totally weren't racist, and were like "Why can't they listen to this friendly black sitcom dad instead of those violent rappers?!"

And then Bill Cosby turned out to be a serial rapist so that kind of stopped, until now.

The speech in question:

A millionaire serial rapist posted:

They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain't, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?

People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong? People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Before we found out he was a serial rapist, Bill Cosby was known by conservatives as "One of the good ones" because he gave a speech at an NAACP event about how black people need to stop calling themselves victims and stop wearing their clothes all wrong. Conservatives circulated the speech to show that they totally weren't racist, and were like "Why can't they listen to this friendly black sitcom dad instead of those violent rappers?!"

And then Bill Cosby turned out to be a serial rapist so that kind of stopped, until now.

This just proves to conservatives that all black people are criminals though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The speech in question:

Wow.....FYGM Cosby style.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

lamentable dustman posted:

Things getting fiesty in South Carolina

http://www.wistv.com/story/28399640/harsh-political-words-little-progress-made-on-budget

In case you missed the facebook story, last week Haley committed the mortal sin of shaking hands with Obama when he visited the state for the first time since 2008 and things got racist

http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/03/10/nikki-haleys-facebook-page-blows-barack-obama-hate/

I was going to read that link but it starts off pretty much immediately talking about her 'hooker boots' so I stopped.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The speech in question:

What I'm getting out of this is that Bill Cosby doesn't understand dialects.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

There was a followup article on Vox the next day that I think was a good response:

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/3/8120965/american-government-problems

People coming up with scenarios where the American government fails really seem fixated on the president seizing control some way or another and just ignoring checks and balances. The stronger executive has gotten there by presidents pushing for broader interpretations of their existing powers and not doing things like suspending elections. A president who interprets their Congressionally granted powers in a broad manner is a completely different beast than one who dissolves Congress.

The problem is that all sorts of bad stuff can happen while everyone's still nominally part of a representative democracy. States can suppress the vote, state legislatures can gerrymander and allocate electoral votes by district. We can have a crisis because Boehner gets replaced and his successor can't come up with anything but the most maximalist demands for the next shutdown. Obama can't resolve it unilaterally, the Republicans won't budge and the system has no way to resolve the impasse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

What I'm getting out of this is that Bill Cosby doesn't understand dialects.

Which is hilarious considering his comedy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bill fuckin' Cosby posted:

Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

Ah no wonder republicans loved this speech so much.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hey poor black people if ya'll could stop existing that'd be the best, you're making me look bad!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Anyone who has not read Ta-Nehisi Coates's 2008 article about Cosby really owes it to themselves to do so.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

soon Cosby will be telling stories alongside Jerry Clower in hell

jerry clower probably is not in hell but I'm sure there is train,

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, "Were happy to debate all the amendments they want including Vitters stupid amendment. ~ Harry Reid.

What's happening today in the Senate? Well, there was supposed to be a vote this week on a bill that would appropriate $1.5b to establish a foundation that would combat human trafficking. This is the type of thing Congress does when it wants an easy win right before a break. Who's going to oppose it? Nobody. Not even Ted Cruz. The Senate likes the idea of spending money to fight human trafficking, especially the part where they get to tell people they're doing it.

This brilliant plan hit a bit of a snag yesterday when Democrats learned that Republicans had snuck the Hyde Amendment language into the bill at the last moment in committee without anyone on the Democrats' staff noticing it. This language means that none of the money allocated can be used to provide abortion services our counseling for such, which is a problem in a bill designed to fight human trafficking, of which sex trafficking is a big component.

So now Harry Reid is blocking all votes on amendments to the bill until the Republicans agree to remove that provision, which they don't want to do. Separately, David Vitter has proposed an amendment to the bill that would eliminate birthright citizenship, because that's obviously germane and productive, and sure to move things along.

By consent, the Senate will recess from 4pm to 5pm today while they sort all this out.

In case you're curious, there's been no agreement on this yet. McConnell filed for cloture this afternoon, with a 60-threshold vote scheduled for Tuesday (there will be some executive branch confirmation votes on Monday), but the Senate stands adjourned.

So far only five bills have become law in the 114th Congress.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

In case you're curious, there's been no agreement on this yet. McConnell filed for cloture this afternoon, with a 60-threshold vote scheduled for Tuesday (there will be some executive branch confirmation votes on Monday), but the Senate stands adjourned.

So far only five bills have become law in the 114th Congress.

I'll give Congress this, no one voted against honoring the Selma marchers or preventing veteran suicides.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

I'll give Congress this, no one voted against honoring the Selma marchers or preventing veteran suicides.

You mean the vet anti-suicide bill that would have passed last session had one senator not blocked it?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

You mean the vet anti-suicide bill that would have passed last session had one senator not blocked it?

Was the senator Ted Cruz

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

Was the senator Ted Cruz

Nope. If it was Ted, the bill would still be blocked. It was Tom Coburn who wanted one of his last acts in the senate to be blocking vets from getting help to prevent suicide.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Coburn also blocked TRIA at the end of the last session, which is one of the five bills passed this year now that he's retired. So two of the five bills are stuff that should have passed in December.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, Im sorry to hear it. I thought you might become the first Jewish speaker. ~ Tip O'Neill, when Barney Frank told him he was gay in 1986.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Coburn also blocked TRIA at the end of the last session, which is one of the five bills passed this year now that he's retired. So two of the five bills are stuff that should have passed in December.

But you see, the gridlock was broken after an election in which we voted out Democrats. Therefore, it must be the case that Democrats were the ones holding up that bill, not our loyal Republican colleague Coburn! The Party of No, everyone!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But you see, the gridlock was broken after an election in which we voted out Democrats.

That'd be an interesting argument for them to make if the gridlock had actually been broken, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that Mitch isn't going to increase productivity in the Senate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

That'd be an interesting argument for them to make if the gridlock had actually been broken, but it's becoming increasingly obvious that Mitch isn't going to increase productivity in the Senate.

Oh, but you see gridlock has been broken, relatively speaking. They are one bill ahead of where they were this point in the 113th (VAWA re-authorization was the fourth bill of the 113th, and passed March 7th), which only ties them as of tomorrow. Suffice to say, Republicans can happily continue to crow that the only reason they haven't done even better is that voters haven't voted out ENOUGH Democrats.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Oh, but you see gridlock has been broken, relatively speaking. They are one bill ahead of where they were this point in the 113th (VAWA re-authorization was the fourth bill of the 113th, and passed March 7th), which only ties them as of tomorrow. Suffice to say, Republicans can happily continue to crow that the only reason they haven't done even better is that voters haven't voted out ENOUGH Democrats.

Specifically the one Democrat with veto power.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The House is about to pass an immigration bill. Let us gaze in awe upon Rep. Chaffetz's act.

quote:

Asylum Reform and Border Protection Act of 2015

Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to prohibit the government from bearing any expense of counsel for any person in a removal or related appeal proceedings.

Adds an additional requirement in order to establish a credible fear of persecution claim in an asylum interview.

Limits humanitarian and public interest parole authority.

Prohibits the Secretary of Homeland Security (DHS) from using parole authority for an alien who is ineligible for refugee status.

Amends the Homeland Security Act of 2002 to revise the definition of "unaccompanied alien child."

Amends the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 to extend the period of time for a federal department or agency to: (1) notify the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that it has apprehended or discovered a UAC or an alien who is under 18 years old, and (2) transfer a UAC to HHS custody.

Provides for HHS-DHS information sharing concerning UACs.

Prohibits an unaccompanied alien child (UAC) from applying for asylum if such child may be removed to a safe third country.

Provides for additional immigration judges and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement attorneys.

Directs the Secretary of State to suspend all foreign assistance to certain countries that refuse to: (1) negotiate a child repatriation agreement, or (2) accept from the United States repatriated UACs who are nationals or residents of the sending country.

Directs the Secretary of State to provide certain foreign assistance for repatriation and reintegration purposes.

Places the burden of proof on an an alien to establish that: (1) the alien's life or freedom would be threatened in a country to which he or she is scheduled to be removed to from the United States; and (2) that race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion would be at least one central reason for such threat.

Makes inadmissible an alien who has committed acts of torture, extrajudicial killings, war crimes, systematic attacks on civilians, persecution, or enforced disappearance of persons. Authorizes the President to make such alien's visa records public.

Terminates the refugee or asylee status of an alien who:

without a compelling reason returns to the country of such alien's nationality or, in the case of an alien having no nationality, returns to the country in which such alien last habitually resided; and
applied for such status because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

Makes such provision inapplicable to an alien who is eligible for adjustment to lawful permanent resident status pursuant to the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966.

Allows up to 500 grants of asylum per fiscal year to families fleeing home school persecution.

Requires that a written warning be included in an asylum application advising the alien of the consequences of filing a frivolous application.

States that if an alien's asylum status is subject to termination the immigration judge shall first determine whether the termination conditions have been met, and if so, terminate the alien's asylum status before considering whether the alien is eligible for adjustment of status.

Did you catch that? The one loosening of immigration in the bill? It is to deal with the horror that is Germany requiring children to attend public schools because Hitler made homeschooling illegal in 1938!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just loving hate their insistence on using the word "alien" instead of "immigrant." I hate it so loving much. It's disgusting.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

The House is about to pass an immigration bill. Let us gaze in awe upon Rep. Chaffetz's act.

Did you catch that? The one loosening of immigration in the bill? It is to deal with the horror that is Germany requiring children to attend public schools because Hitler made homeschooling illegal in 1938!

Amends Statue of Liberty to say 'gently caress Off'

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just loving hate their insistence on using the word "alien" instead of "immigrant." I hate it so loving much. It's disgusting.

Why? It's a normal legal term, so it's not really a surprise that it would be used in a bill

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dr. Tough posted:

Why? It's a normal legal term, so it's not really a surprise that it would be used in a bill

Because its an extremely stupid and denigrating term to use, migrant or Illegal migrant (to denote that they are *gasp* migrating in an illegal manner) works fine. poo poo when I was stationed on a coast guard boat on the east coast we would refer to AMIO as Migrant Interdiction Ops and refuse to acknowledge the alien part because they are people not loving aliens.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo man, I'm honestly kind of surprised they don't just refer to them as "illegals" throughout the entire bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Because its an extremely stupid and denigrating term to use, migrant or Illegal migrant (to denote that they are *gasp* migrating in an illegal manner) works fine. poo poo when I was stationed on a coast guard boat on the east coast we would refer to AMIO as Migrant Interdiction Ops and refuse to acknowledge the alien part because they are people not loving aliens.

Alien is a precise internationally recognized legal term in this context.

Like I think I filled out 2 entry cards last month that had alien in the title (Japan and RoC)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread